Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jose posted:

In an election with UKIP its going to be a thing

no. she's white & of uk ancestry. not even the average UKIPer would think it's an issue, you're just weird mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TinTower posted:

The Greens are losing a lot of credibility with LGBT voters too due to influential Greens coming out in favour of transphobic dogwhistles too. Which really loving annoys me.

Does transphobic stuff really influence LGB voters that much?

Cerv posted:

no. she's white & of uk ancestry. not even the average UKIPer would think it's an issue, you're just weird mate.

I think you're just being naive here

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

TinTower posted:

The Greens are losing a lot of credibility with LGBT voters too due to influential Greens coming out in favour of transphobic dogwhistles too. Which really loving annoys me.

Yeah, Rupert Read is a prize tosspot. Does that really reflect on the party as a whole though? I believe they have two trans parliamentary candidates standing at least (with no hope of winning obv).

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Prince John posted:

I know, daring to help local residents pick up dirty nappies and broken glass from their road - monstrous behaviour!

It's worth reading the whole page, as it's relatively thoughtful but:

Yes, doing part of the job of striking workers makes her a scab. Thanks for posting the quote so I didn't have to.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Yes, doing part of the job of striking workers makes her a scab. Thanks for posting the quote so I didn't have to.

So if there was a firemans strike and your neighbours house was on fire you'd refuse to join a bucket chain?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
What's the percentage of people who identify as transgendered? I imagine it's well under 1% so it's unlikely anyone short of a trans superstar could get elected under FPTP. All the more reason for a top up PR list system a la Holyrood.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Kegluneq posted:

Yeah, Rupert Read is a prize tosspot. Does that really reflect on the party as a whole though? I believe they have two trans parliamentary candidates standing at least (with no hope of winning obv).

Darren Johnson AM and Peter Tatchell are also influential Greens who are way too accepting of transphobia, to say the least. Even before he signed that letter, I found Tatchell's whole schtick of putting make-up on autocrats to make fun of them pretty… dodgy, to say the least. Beatrix Campbell is even one of the ringleaders of the commentariat backlash against trans people.

And yeah, I know of Charlie and Stella. And they're both annoyed as all hell about all this.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

What's the percentage of people who identify as transgendered? I imagine it's well under 1% so it's unlikely anyone short of a trans superstar could get elected under FPTP. All the more reason for a top up PR list system a la Holyrood.

Out trans people have been able to get elected to FPTP council positions, but only in Cambridge so far.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Total Meatlove posted:

So if there was a firemans strike and your neighbours house was on fire you'd refuse to join a bucket chain?

No, because the scab army would respond.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

TinTower posted:

Out trans people have been able to get elected to FPTP council positions, but only in Cambridge so far.

Which speaks more about local parties in Cambridge selecting their candidates than the electorate who probably is barely aware of who they are voting for in council elections beyond ticking the box next to their party of choice. Getting selected to run for parliament in a safe constituency is a whole other game.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Which speaks more about local parties in Cambridge selecting their candidates than the electorate who probably is barely aware of who they are voting for in council elections beyond ticking the box next to their party of choice. Getting selected to run for parliament in a safe constituency is a whole other game.

There's an informal accord between Labour and the Lib Dems in Cambridge that if a trans candidate is selected for any position, their gender identity is off-limits (mostly, this is to shut people like Germaine Greer up). Rupert Read coming out with the transphobic poo poo last month is one of the few times Cambridge Labour and Cambridge Lib Dems have agreed on something in the past couple of years.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

TinTower posted:

Darren Johnson AM and Peter Tatchell are also influential Greens who are way too accepting of transphobia, to say the least. Even before he signed that letter, I found Tatchell's whole schtick of putting make-up on autocrats to make fun of them pretty… dodgy, to say the least. Beatrix Campbell is even one of the ringleaders of the commentariat backlash against trans people.

And yeah, I know of Charlie and Stella. And they're both annoyed as all hell about all this.

I didn't even know Tatchell was a Green :cripes:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Total Meatlove posted:

The news story about the person in the US having firemen watch his house burn down because he'd refused to pay for them was pretty funny imo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

While I would generally support workers rights and all that, it's a bit weird for strikers to tell people they have a monopoly on being able to tidy up the street in front of their house so they aren't allowed to do it while they're on strike.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It is a bit of a weird view.

You'd think they'd take the stance of "Now you've had to clean broken glass and lovely nappies and see what a horrible job it is, you can now understand why we want to be treated better"

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
you're only a scab if you cross picket lines - if you're a binman and the binmen go on strike and you still work, you're a scab. If you're not a binman you can do wtf you want, a few locals tidying nappies isn't going to diminish the actions of the binmen.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

stickyfngrdboy posted:

you're only a scab if you cross picket lines - if you're a binman and the binmen go on strike and you still work, you're a scab. If you're not a binman you can do wtf you want, a few locals tidying nappies isn't going to diminish the actions of the binmen.

Except for the part where those few locals are doing part of the job of the strikers. That's totally not undermining the point of the strike at all.

I realise that this thread is full of liberals, who wouldn't understand political activism if it punched them in the face, but come on, doing the job of strikers is pretty much the definition of scabbing.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Except for the part where those few locals are doing part of the job of the strikers. That's totally not undermining the point of the strike at all.

I realise that this thread is full of liberals, who wouldn't understand political activism if it punched them in the face, but come on, doing the job of strikers is pretty much the definition of scabbing.

Only if you're meant to be part of the strike. Have you ever even been part of a strike? If a few locals can do the same job as striking binmen then the binmen aren't doing a great job and shouldn't be on strike.

Do you think getting the army in to fight fires when the firemen strike makes the soldiers scabs as well?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

My bin men are poo poo. They broke the glass bottle holder inside the recycling bin and now the council are trying to charge me £5 for a replacement. gently caress that. Watch out party boat it'll happen to you if you use it much

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Since when do bin men pick up broken glass and litter off the street?

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I walk to work whenever the RMT strike. It's me, I'm the ultimate scab.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Only if you're meant to be part of the strike. Have you ever even been part of a strike? If a few locals can do the same job as striking binmen then the binmen aren't doing a great job and shouldn't be on strike.

Do you think getting the army in to fight fires when the firemen strike makes the soldiers scabs as well?

Clearly you missed the part earlier in this two page thread where I referred to "the scab army".

Your idea that people should only be on strike depending on how good a job they've been doing just demonstrates your lack of understanding about strikes and activism. Like I said, liberals. Anyway, if you really want to believe that Lucas and the Greens are any kind of alternative to anything, you go right ahead. It's funnier than it is sad.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Fire Brigade is a bit of a sketchy one as they usually actually respond if there's a proper emergency, even if they're on strike. Plus, you know, general loss of life etc.

Now, when the Army were used to undermine the petrol tanker drivers strike, that was absolutely scabbing. Join now at Army Scabs dot com was even a thing, I thought (though this might have been an LF thing).

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Prok Pie i'm sorry mate but you're a pub-league gobshite at best

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Good to see I can duck out of the thread for two months and come back to the same old slapfights. Why cant we all just get along? :(

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Pork Pie, if your house was on fire, and your family was inside, and there was a fireman strike on, and your neighbours are trying to douse the flames, would you be like "No gently caress off scabs you're undermining strike action". Coz I doubt it.

Zero Gravitas posted:

Good to see I can duck out of the thread for two months and come back to the same old slapfights. Why cant we all just get along? :(

We're all in this together.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 1, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bozza posted:

Fire Brigade is a bit of a sketchy one as they usually actually respond if there's a proper emergency, even if they're on strike. Plus, you know, general loss of life etc.

Now, when the Army were used to undermine the petrol tanker drivers strike, that was absolutely scabbing. Join now at Army Scabs dot com was even a thing, I thought (though this might have been an LF thing).

The fire brigade only turn up during strikes because they're sensible enough to realise if houses burn down because they were striking the entire public would hate them and they're hosed. I'm not really sure what they do the rest of the time anyway mind

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Clearly you missed the part earlier in this two page thread where I referred to "the scab army".

No, I didn't.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Your idea that people should only be on strike depending on how good a job they've been doing just demonstrates your lack of understanding about strikes and activism.

Have you ever been involved in a strike? I have. Have you?

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Like I said, liberals. Anyway, if you really want to believe that Lucas and the Greens are any kind of alternative to anything, you go right ahead. It's funnier than it is sad.

Activism, lol.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Pork Pie, if your house was on fire and your family was inside and there was a fireman strike on and your neighbours are trying to douse the flames, would you be like "No gently caress off scabs you're undermining strike action". Coz I doubt it.

You geniuses are going to have to try harder, the Fire Service always respond when there's a threat to life, strike or not. They even go out of their way to mention this when they announce a strike.

If it was your house and family though, I'd let them burn.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So what do they even do the rest of the time that isn't training?

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Like I said, liberals.

Can I interest you in learning how to Combat Liberalism?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Zero Gravitas posted:

We talked about film for a bit and it was good.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

stickyfngrdboy posted:

No, I didn't.

Have you ever been involved in a strike? I have. Have you?

Activism, lol.

You scoff at the idea that strikes are activism. What do you think they are? What do you think activism is?

Yes, I have been involved with many, many strikes. I'm so pleased you joined in on one despite your apparent inability to understand what strikes really are.

If you saw me call the army scabs, why ask again?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Your idea that people should only be on strike depending on how good a job they've been doing just demonstrates your lack of understanding about strikes and activism. Like I said, liberals. Anyway, if you really want to believe that Lucas and the Greens are any kind of alternative to anything, you go right ahead. It's funnier than it is sad.

The point of a strike is to illustrate the importance of a service by withdrawing same, with the goal of showing people just how important that service is, and hopefully bringing them to the understanding that the people performing that service deserve better pay or conditions commensurate with the level of service they provide.

So, bin men stop emptying bins because their pay and/or conditions are poo poo.

The people who live in the area, tired of living on streets full of poo poo and filth, group together and clean up dirty, hazardous and just unpleasant material from their living space.
Now these people have a first hand understanding of the valuable and unpleasant service that refuse collectors provide.
Like, if this were people crossing the picket to work for a profit-oriented enterprise I could see your point entirely, but refuse collection is a public service - it has to be performed by somebody for environmental, general health, and safety reasons, and if the workers themselves go on strike I can't think of a better way of dealing with it than for the citizens themselves to get involved.

if the council had just hired another group of private contractors to do the job that would have been scabbing.
But sure, go on crying about "liberals" i guess.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Zero Gravitas posted:

Can I interest you in learning how to Combat Liberalism?

I see what you did there, but red isn't really my colour. Thanks though!

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Pork Pie Hat posted:

You scoff at the idea that strikes are activism. What do you think they are? What do you think activism is?

Yes, I have been involved with many, many strikes. I'm so pleased you joined in on one despite your apparent inability to understand what strikes really are.

If you saw me call the army scabs, why ask again?

Nobody I know who's been on strike, including me, would call being on strike 'activism'. Your definition of the term must be different from mine.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

You geniuses are going to have to try harder, the Fire Service always respond when there's a threat to life, strike or not. They even go out of their way to mention this when they announce a strike.

So you're saying you're supporting scabs? People who are crossing the line? Pork Pie Hat - Scab Endorser. Content to let them save your home and property, undermining the purpose of the strike. I bet you even pick up litter on your lawn when there's a bin men strike on.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

If it was your house and family though, I'd let them burn.

I love you too :rolleye:

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Oberleutnant posted:

The point of a strike is to illustrate the importance of a service by withdrawing same, with the goal of showing people just how important that service is, and hopefully bringing them to the understanding that the people performing that service deserve better pay or conditions commensurate with the level of service they provide.

So, bin men stop emptying bins because their pay and/or conditions are poo poo.

The people who live in the area, tired of living on streets full of poo poo and filth, group together and clean up dirty, hazardous and just unpleasant material from their living space.
Now these people have a first hand understanding of the valuable and unpleasant service that refuse collectors provide.
Like, if this were people crossing the picket to work for a profit-oriented enterprise I could see your point entirely, but refuse collection is a public service - it has to be performed by somebody for environmental, general health, and safety reasons, and if the workers themselves go on strike I can't think of a better way of dealing with it than for the citizens themselves to get involved.

if the council had just hired another group of private contractors to do the job that would have been scabbing.
But sure, go on crying about "liberals" i guess.

Broadly I agree with you. Where I would differ is to say that while a community taking action to clean up its locale may indeed bring them new perspectives on other people's jobs, which is fantastic, by doing that while the workers are striking is still scabbing.

As it happens the Green controlled Council did bring in an external workforce, so we can at least agree that they were scabbing.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

So you're saying you're supporting scabs? People who are crossing the line? Pork Pie Hat - Scab Endorser. Content to let them save your home and property, undermining the purpose of the strike. I bet you even pick up litter on your lawn when there's a bin men strike on.

I love you too :rolleye:

No, I'd be content for them to save lives, as I suggested when I said that's what they would come out to do.

e: somehow included two quotes. Removed unnecessary snark.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: Yeah, doing the same.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

No, I'd be content for them to save lives, as I suggested when I said that's what they would come out to do. I understand, though, that reading is difficult for you, especially when it gets in the way of making a hilarious [sic] point.

I was being facetious. As it is, I'm glad that you are content for them to save lives.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

As it happens the Green controlled Council did bring in an external workforce, so we can at least agree that they were scabbing.

On an actual serious note, I agree with you on this, but disagree that a community clearing up their area a tad, as to not be wading through filth, has much of an impact on a bin men's strike.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Cerv posted:

I'm no ukipper and i'd have a fairly major problem with someone who's lived in the UK for 16 of their 49 years becoming leader of the country

• Locked thread