Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Currently arguing the definition of 'voluntary' with my employer. If anyone ever tells you companies are reasonable and won't try and screw you over the first chance they get, they're an idiot.

P.S I hate the bake off, that's why I watch it every week and get really into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

JoylessJester posted:

P.S I hate the bake off, that's why I watch it every week and get really into it.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but you're Part of the Problem and will be shot in Full Communism.

Also this:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
That is fantastic. I really want to read the story about santa being banned.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

It's the perfect storm of headlines.

(1) The Cultural Marxists banned Christmas
(2) Now the Cultural Marxists are stealing the People's Princess's money and giving it to untermensch; also, white blonde posh girl dies.
(3) White blonde posh girl dies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pissflaps posted:

I just like to watch the baking.

We all know it's not the cakes you want to put in the oven.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Those strong arms and piercing blue eyes the masterful way he combines the ingredients and puts it in ze oven at ze korect temperatur und zen

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
What's with the bloody Europe tag? Bloody EU, coming over here, removing our Marxism tag!

It's political correctness gone mad!

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Disinterested posted:

It's the perfect storm of headlines.

(1) The Cultural Marxists banned Christmas
(2) Now the Cultural Marxists are stealing the People's Princess's money and giving it to untermensch; also, white blonde posh girl dies.
(3) White blonde posh girl dies.

But how are our house prices affected by all this? :ohdear:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Because i feel people in positions of power in politics should be reflective of the people they represent and growing up in a country you get a much deeper understanding of the issues around your community. Someone joining up to the greens or SWP after moving over here as an adult for a career move or because that's where their dad paid the tuition fees isn't someone who should be fronting the views of a big swath of the population. I appreciate this extends to the public school crowd but that's an additional issue that needs sorting.

Lots of the population have moved here as adults. Why would you deny them that kind of representation too?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Andrew Sparrow on the G's politics blog has made an interesting point about the possibility of a hung parliament: http://gu.com/p/468m9

quote:

Looking at projected seat numbers (see 8.28am and 8.48am), the normal question that arises is which party leader could get a majority.

There are 650 seats in the House of Commons. A crude calculation suggests you need 326 votes for a majority. But given there are five Sinn Fein MPs who do not take their seats, a speaker and three deputy speakers, in practice there are 641 voting MPs, and so actually you need 321 votes for a majority.

Rather than looking at whether David Cameron or Ed Miliband could put together a coalition that can command a majority, it might be more useful to think in terms of whether there is a majority against them. Because if Cameron or Miliband can’t get a Queen’s Speech motion passed the Commons, they can’t form a government.

Labour would vote against a Cameron Queen’s Speech and it’s almost inevitable that the SNP would too. All four forecasts/projections suggest that Miliband would be able to block a Cameron Queen’s Speech

Anti Cameron vote

Guardian: 322 (Labour and SNP)

Fisher: 323 (Labour and SNP)

Election Forecast: 321 (If you included SDLP and Plaid Cymru, who would almost certainly vote against the Tories, as well as Labour and the SNP)

New Statesman: 327 (Labour and SNP)

I have not made allowance for that Labour would probably provide two deputy speakers, meaning that in practice that two seats would need to be deducted from their total. But, equally, some of the minor parties like the Greens or Respect would almost certainly vote with Miliband against a Tory Queen’s Speech too.

The same figures suggest Cameron would be unable to put together a majority to block a Labour Queen’s Speech.

Anti Miliband vote

Guardian: 314 (Conservatives, Lib Dems, Ukip and DUP, who I’m assuming would get eight seats)

Fisher: 313 (Conservatives, Lib Dems, Ukip, DUP)

Election Forecast: 320 (Conservatives, Lib Dems, Ukip, DUP)

New Statesman: 308 (Conservatives, Lib Dems, Ukip, DUP)

UPDATE AT 9.47AM: I’m not saying the Lib Dems definitely would vote with the Conservatives after the election; in fact, I think it’s more likely than not that they wouldn’t. But I’ve included them because it is conceivable that they could vote with the Tories against Labour. I’m sorry I did not make that clear earlier.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Party Boat posted:

Andrew Sparrow on the G's politics blog has made an interesting point about the possibility of a hung parliament: http://gu.com/p/468m9
Instead of using Parliament to get rid of Trident as something that is no longer necessary nor fit for purpose, can't we do it the other way around?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Jose posted:

The greens are a massive joke and its going to be cool at the debates when someone asks Natalie Bennett why people from the UK should vote for an aussie
Any party that isn't Labour, the Tories or the Lib Dems is a joke because FPTP gives them no reason to aim at competency. It's the worst system.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Bozza posted:

What's with the bloody Europe tag? Bloody EU, coming over here, removing our Marxism tag!

It's political correctness gone mad!

Can't even take a toaster into the bath anymore.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Bring back the Marxism tag or you too will die when Full Communism arrives.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

Instead of using Parliament to get rid of Trident as something that is no longer necessary nor fit for purpose, can't we do it the other way around?

Now you get it! Nukes are ace. Give are boys nuclear tipped bullets so little nukes go off where ever they see conflict.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Disinterested posted:

this but unironically

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Oberleutnant posted:

this but unironically

Who said I was being ironic? :colbert:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Flag fixed. Now for the institutions...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Disinterested posted:

This is why communism hasn't and will never work hth

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Jose posted:

Robespierre posted:

We must smother the internal and external enemies of the Republic or perish with them. Now, in this situation, the first maxim of your policy ought to be to lead the people by reason and the people's enemies by terror.
:getin:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Jose posted:

the 1917 revolution failed because the thread didn't have the marxism tag?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I never said the revolution wasn't successful.

Anyway its good that we're trying to do more with tidal power as the people behind the Swansea plan are looking at other sites

http://www.itv.com/news/west/update/2015-03-02/could-the-uks-biggest-tidal-power-plant-be-based-in-somerset/

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Pesmerga posted:

Flag fixed. Now for the institutions...

Long live the UESR

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

the 1917 revolution failed because the thread didn't have the marxism tag?
Someone tagged it Bolshevism and from that point the revolution was betrayed.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jose posted:

I never said the revolution wasn't successful.

Anyway its good that we're trying to do more with tidal power as the people behind the Swansea plan are looking at other sites

http://www.itv.com/news/west/update/2015-03-02/could-the-uks-biggest-tidal-power-plant-be-based-in-somerset/

Honestly let's just dump all of the UK's energy generation in Bridgwater. It's not like the place is much more than a commuter town for Hinkley as it is.

Also, what are people's opinions on the Morning Star? I've never bothered picking a copy up until today - it's not bad and brings up news that may not make it to the surface otherwise but the opposition to American imperialism at all costs gets a little painful to read, especially when letter writers are calling the situation in Ukraine a "NATO-backed Kiev junta" :cripes:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Zephro posted:

Any party that isn't Labour, the Tories or the Lib Dems is a joke because FPTP gives them no reason to aim at competency. It's the worst system.

My one hope for this election is for the greens and ukip do well in terms of %votes but fail to gain a seat due to fptp in order to revive the issue of electoral reform.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

My one hope is, as always, full communism

Silly Hyena
May 2, 2014

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

My one hope for this election is for the greens and ukip do well in terms of %votes but fail to gain a seat due to fptp in order to revive the issue of electoral reform.

But electoral form lost the referendum, it's undemocratic to change it now. You need to learn to accept the result.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

mfcrocker posted:

Honestly let's just dump all of the UK's energy generation in Bridgwater. It's not like the place is much more than a commuter town for Hinkley as it is.

Also, what are people's opinions on the Morning Star? I've never bothered picking a copy up until today - it's not bad and brings up news that may not make it to the surface otherwise but the opposition to American imperialism at all costs gets a little painful to read, especially when letter writers are calling the situation in Ukraine a "NATO-backed Kiev junta" :cripes:

The kiev government literally is NATO backed, at least informally (for the moment), and they're also literal fash who've admitted it and act like they don't know what the problem is.

Frankly if you think a paper opposing US imperialism is "painful to read" perhaps you should consider your politics are poo poo.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

mfcrocker posted:

Yeah Morning Star is pretty kooky but I hit up the website every now and then. If you're after Lefitst journalism in general I've got a lot of time for Jacobin, which is more of a thinkpiece journal than daily news. They get some genuinely good contributors.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

HorseLord posted:

The kiev government literally is NATO backed, at least informally (for the moment), and they're also literal fash who've admitted it and act like they don't know what the problem is.

Frankly if you think a paper opposing US imperialism is "painful to read" perhaps you should consider your politics are poo poo.

That video doesn't prove what you think it proves.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Coohoolin posted:

That video doesn't prove what you think it proves.

The Kiev ambassador admitting Kiev is allied with fash doesn't prove Kiev is a bunch of fash?

For all they blather on about "there's no far right parties in parliament!" They sure do, uh, really like it when Nazis fight for them. Further, as Mr Ambassador says, those nazis are under kiev's control. So all the awful nazi poo poo they get up to is also kiev's responsibility.

Fash trying to worm out of it on a technicality are still fash.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 2, 2015

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Caught this in passing earlier today.

The World At One on Radio 4 is currently celebrating 50 years of broadcasts by asking various people to nominate their personal "Britian's Best".

Today was Alan Bennett, the BBC have helpfully posted a transcript and recording here. Full text below.

Alan Bennett posted:

"I thought, why not Swaledale? Or medieval churches. Or even, with all its shortcomings, the National Trust. But what I think we are best at in England - I do not say Britain - what I think we are best at in England, better than all the rest, is hypocrisy.

Take London; we extol its beauty and its dignity while at the same time we're happy to sell it off to the highest bidder. Or highest builder.

We glory in Shakespeare yet we close our public libraries.

A substantial minority of our children receive a better education than the rest because of the social situation of the parents. Then we wonder why things at the top do not change or society improve. But we know why. It's because we are hypocrites.

Our policemen are wonderful, provided you're white and middle class and don't take to the streets. And dying in custody is what happens in South America. It doesn't happen here.

And it gets into the language. We think irony very English and are rather proud of it. But in literary terms it's how we have it both ways. A refined hypocrisy.

And in language these days, words which start off as good and meaningful, terms like environment and energy saving, rapidly lose any credence because converted into political or PR slogans, ending up the clichéd stuff of an estate agents' brochure. A manual for hypocrisy.

A memorable phrase in Hamlet, and one of the few that hasn't been picked up as a quotation or a title for something else, is when Claudius is arranging for Hamlet to be arrested and executed when he gets to our shores. And in his letter he says; "Do it England". And we say we do it, or we're going to do it, but we don't. Scotland does it. And Wales. But not England.

In England, what we do best is lip service. And before you stampede for the Basildon bond or rather skitter for the Twitter I must say that I don't exempt myself from these strictures. How should I? I am English, I am a hypocrite. "

Why can't we have politicians with half as much sense?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

HorseLord posted:

Yes, US imperialism is definitely the main cause of the fighting in the Ukraine. That innocent Mr Putin is just helping the rebels to Bash the Fash and should be commended for his efforts.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

HorseLord posted:

You're a loving idiot that hasn't written what I said at all. Opposing US imperialism = good. Opposing US imperialism to the degree where you completely and utterly ignore Russian imperialism = not so good.

Basically:

Kegluneq posted:

Yes, US imperialism is definitely the main cause of the fighting in the Ukraine. That innocent Mr Putin is just helping the rebels to Bash the Fash and should be commended for his efforts.

Silly Hyena
May 2, 2014

EmptyVessel posted:

The World At One on Radio 4 is currently celebrating 50 years of broadcasts by asking various people to nominate their personal "Britian's Best".

Today was Alan Bennett, the BBC have helpfully posted a transcript and recording here. Full text below.

English identity is a touchy subject, no politician could get away with criticising it. Or implied criticism, imagined or not. Labour's white van picture proved that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Besides, both sides have fascists on them. Fascists are just A Thing in that conflict, and Russia has been doing way more to accelerate the spread of fascism in Europe than Ukraine, both domestically and internationally. They're where our far-right parties get most of their money from, for a start.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

EmptyVessel posted:

I love Alan Bennett

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Silly Hyena posted:

English identity is a touchy subject, no politician could get away with criticising it. Or implied criticism, imagined or not. Labour's white van picture proved that.

You are right.
The real question is why can't we have a general public with half as much sense, but that is an even more problematic proposition to make openly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

HorseLord has a lot of sympathy for dictators as long as they're not uncool American-sponsored types. I think you'll be waiting a long time for a fan of Stalin to get on the anti-Putin bandwagon.

Edit: also voting 1 until the Marxism tag comes back. Capitalist pigdogs.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 2, 2015

• Locked thread