Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

That man is not very good at speaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Wait, is this is a bill that would give idiot doctors the ability to prescribe homoeopathy as a treatment for cancer on the nhs?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Larry_Mullet posted:

You pay less tax in Somalia tho, would be nice having a couple hundred quid extra on your pay cheque every month tho

I feel the only minefields you can step on are the verbal kind in the Uk tho.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pissflaps posted:

I wonder if 'The Great Somalian Bakeoff' exists?

Is there a german bake off?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pissflaps posted:

Apparently so

Do they have a star baker?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pistol_Pete posted:

But how will they arrange affairs so that deserving, middle-class larger families continue to receive the benefit?

Seriously, the idea that we 'can't afford' child benefit and that poor people who have lots of children are draining the country dry is complete nonsense. EVERY child that's born is a drain on the taxpayer for the first part of their lives - they consume services while giving nothing in return. As adults, they contribute through taxes, while generally consuming far fewer state services than children do. As pensioners, their tax payments generally reduce sharply and they tend to become net consumers of state services again. Over one person's lifetime the net financial cost-benefit to the state must be pretty much neutral.

What this really is, of course is another Tory dog whistle, this time playing on the widespread fear that 'the wrong sort of people' are having too many children and fecklessly outbreeding respectable, sensible middle-class types.

Ah but you see, the tory narrative would be that 4 child or more families are going to be on benefits all their lives anyway.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Disinterested posted:

What if the government shouldn't have a role in regulating the number of children people have?

Particularly 'small government' conservatives. :ironicat:

So you are saying child benefit should be scrapped then?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Disinterested posted:

Obviously not, that isn't even a vague implication of my post.

But Child Benefit does have a role in regulating the number of children people have. You say they shouldnt do this at all, so no child benefit is the logical conclusion to your post?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Guavanaut posted:

I wonder why Four Loko never tried exporting to the UK. It seems like the ideal terrible market for that, and it can't really be worse than Buckfast.

On the plus (?) side, Jameson is going to be cheap for the next week.

Im pretty sure the majority of its ingredients are banned in the EU by now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Phoon posted:

Pretty sure it's as popular as ever, plus this year we will probably get to enjoy very passive aggressive russian and ukrainian entries

Nah, the last 2 years have been dire. The parties happen for the bonkers songs that get through on crowd popularity and the jury voting for the semis has meant you get nothing but lovely ballads for the last 2 years.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

OwlFancier posted:

Surely having a child at 60 is the kindest option, because you will then die just in time for them to inherit all your poo poo and be rich and young.

One way of getting on the property ladder in your twenties.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Fracas means hes had a fight.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
How do you monetize the value of Robin Thicke having a career because of it?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Larry_Mullet posted:

Has anyone in the thread ever had their house heating provided by gas bottles? We're looking at a house that's heated like this and we're worried about the cost and inconvenience of heating a house in this way. Any advice would be much appreciated.

In b4 "Was the house built by aliens?"

You'll be changing bottles every day in the winter.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

namesake posted:

Yeah I know I grew up in an oil heated house but that had a huge tank to store it in. I'm just a bit baffled by something far off the track enough to not get gas but somehow not have enough room for a large central tank.

Oh well, ~*UK houses*~ does it again.

My in laws live in a scottish fishing village where they cant get a gas pipe to so they still use coal fires and electricity.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pissflaps posted:

People will pay over £1,000 a week to experience that now.

Heat the rich.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-31832392

This is a landmark ruling regarding divorce settlements. I don't really know how I feel about this ruling that there are no time limits on claiming divorce settlements.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

There's not really enough information in the article but if they divorced and she got landed with sole or mostly custody of their kid while he was free to go and do whatever he wanted then it seems fair (though maybe more of a child support issue than a divorce one?).

Oh I'm not disputing that people should be responsible for their children. I just seems a bit unseemly that hes gone on to do something else 10-15 years later and now the courts have agreed a far higher payment than would have been awarded at the original time of divorce.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cerv posted:

by which he means had a substantial enough relationship to get married and have children with

any sympathy might have had is evaporating

There are lots of people that married young and divorced very quickly in the late 80's and 90's. Some had children, some didn't. This does open the door for everyone to make a claim on their current earnings now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Prince John posted:

Clarkson is such a lovely human being, apparently he punched the producer because he didn't have dinner ready for him. "He just snapped!"

Its a bit different to what you're saying though, its that no catering had been organised at all. Not that it was late. Still doesnt give him an excuse, but from the way the other two are acting i dont think its a big of a deal as the mirror is making out.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Prince John posted:

I suppose we have to remember that they're probably paid 'per episode' so might have a vested interest in playing things down?

Hilarious to see Old Stig whinging about the BBC's overreaction - pretty sure if most people punched a co-worker they'd be out on their ear in a flash. The job advert parody thing is brilliant.

Edit: The DUP will use parliamentary time later to call for an independent body to organise the TV debates. The article notes that they have more MPs than 4 out of the 7 parties currently invited, so I do have some sympathy for their position.

Well without clarkson there is no top gear, and they have no more job.

Although the petition to get him back on tv has 300,000+ signatures in less than two days. Says it all about the general public.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

I know its just also the kind of thing that people in the US who love top gear would probably sign boosting the numbers massively

I think I read somewhere that Top Gear is now the biggest 'factual' program in the world by a massive margin or something. If the BBC sack him, Clarkson and the other two will have networks falling over themselves to get him in.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cerv posted:

actually wonder how much of that is from DVD residuals and Dave re-runs that the BBC would continue to get after Clarkson's been exiled.
obviously a minority chunk. but just curious.

Most of their money comes from the tours and top gear dvd's that clarkson/hammond poo poo out every christmas. The TV syndication is peanuts and every season gets a new rate, so the second you remove the 3 guys from it, no-one wants it anymore. A new show, aggressively marketed would destroy the numbers they do at the moment.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Zephro posted:

Are you sure? Not doubting you, but just curious that the syndication is worth "peanuts".

Anyway I think just replacing Clarkson is unlikely to work. The new format was the brainchild of him and Andy Wilman and I just don't think that many people would watch if he wasn't presenting. It's a buddy show based around him and the other two presenters being idiots. It's Last of the Summer Wine but with cars. I don't think you could recreate those interactions with new presenters, or at least not immediately.

See every version of the show thats been attempted around the world and why they were all uniformly awful. Modern top gear is an accident that happened over 10-15 years of slight tweaks every season.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Darth Walrus posted:

That's Piers Morgan's old paper. Clarkson is undoubtedly an rear end in a top hat, but it's best to be careful with their coverage.

I think linking the daily mail should be a punishable offence.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I'm not excepting this robot wars revisionism. I liked it when the nerds from cambridge spent 30 grand on theirs and it was shite

It was fun until everyone realised the way to win was to have a flipper bot but i liked the one that split into 2 smaller robots and owned n00blords. Also when they tightened the rules on weapons after a blade went through the protective screen and that was the last of things like Hypnodisc.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I really hope he chose to die. After all the campaigning and righteous fury that he put into right to die it feels like a betrayal of his beliefs and who he was if he got taken out before he could make that decision.

Bit horrible this.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The BBC are facing a multi million pound bill for cancelling the last 3 episodes of Top Gear from all the people they've sold the series too worldwide.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

It's amazing, to me, that people in this thread genuinely think he's the scumbag the daily mail tells everyone he is.

It's amazing to me that they can't tell he's a character he plays as its made him a millionaire.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Oberleutnant posted:

Atlas Shrugged? A miserable, endless screed of 100-page speeches by boring fuckwits, by all accounts.

They made a book of this thread?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I wonder if Miliband used the other kitchen because the proper one is absurdly posh and looks like something from an advert?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Lets brainstorm other reasons for not using the main kitchen. Perhaps his servants wouldn't stay out of shot?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pissflaps posted:

The Falklands are better defended now and the Argentine military in a mess so such a task force wouldn't be necessary.

One type 45 destroyer would be enough to sort their entire military tbf.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ThomasPaine posted:

It makes me sad that the soldiers whose throats they cut in the night were probably conscripts with no desire to be there.

I've never understood how we rolled over the Argentineans there with such apparent ease. They're a decent sized country with a reasonable industrial base, not really impoverished relatively speaking. I would have thought they'd put up more of a fight. My best guess is there wasn't the political will to fight for the islands if the UK didn't just let them go, and the soldiers there were mostly poorly trained conscripts?

Their military and training (outside their air force) was a decade behind the UK's. Thats why they got rolled.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Can someone that understands the legal process better than me explain why the police are continually allowed to extend bail without bringing charges?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fans posted:

A Police Officer of any rank can set and extend bail. There is currently absolutely no limit to how long you can do this.

It's kind of a joke really and been a problem for years.

So whats the qualification? Obviously they bring charges, but what happens if they have no case. Do they just string people along for months?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

You'll always look like a twat wearing them

Im glad all the people that gave google thousands of dollars for the glass and spent a year looking like a twat have now had to throw them in the bin.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Realtalk there is a pair being designed for sports such as running/cycling and thats probably the only use for them you can have since they're so intrusive to normal daily life.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pissflaps posted:

I'd be interested in a pair for running with GPS/pace data and maybe a person to 'chase' superimposed over what I'm seeing would be fun.

Thats exactly what they're used for. They can also provide directions and course mapping etc. One of the features i've seen is a ghost like in racing games that's your previous best for that course so you can see how far behind/ahead you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Total Meatlove posted:

Do you think the AR helmets for motorcyclists are a novelty or something that will be helpful longer term?

I think a hud is useful for speed and directions and anything that keeps your eyes up on the road and not down at your dash is good.

• Locked thread