Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

It's march and the campaign to be the biggest party in a coalition is well under way. Here's a poll

No ones looking like they'll be able to do anything other then form another coalition they'll probably be even shitter then the one we have now

Leaders debates are looming and the media is going mental over the leaders of the 2 relative newcomers to the big stage who've been kick off their parties election campaigns.

Nigel 'our nige' Farage

The leader of UKIP kicked off their campign by giving a speech to an empty room in the united states while a bunch of swastika clad hotties danced outside the entrance to the party conference

Natalie 'cough cough' Bennett

Natalie stormed to the gren party leadership with a grand total of 728 votes and is currently doing her best to destroy the good work the party has done in becoming one of the bigger players in terms of membership. She spent last week launching a manifesto that apparently doesnt exist yet which makes her inability to answer even basic questions on it less suprising. Is also australian.

Other poo poo that is going down like right now:
- Jihadi John, radicalised british teen or terrorist immigrant?
- Devomanc, local council gets 6bn healthcare budget without any evidence or consulation on whether or not it's a goot thing
- #thedress
- Argies, cruising for another bruising?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Cerv posted:

no. she's white & of uk ancestry. not even the average UKIPer would think it's an issue, you're just weird mate.

I'm no ukipper and i'd have a fairly major problem with someone who's lived in the UK for 16 of their 49 years becoming leader of the country

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

KKKlean Energy posted:

why

I mean if they were going to be invested with a lot of power then sure, but what if it's a parliamentary system where said person is surrounded by and depends on people who've never lived outside the UK who collectively have more influence than that one individual

Because i feel people in positions of power in politics should be reflective of the people they represent and growing up in a country you get a much deeper understanding of the issues around your community. Someone joining up to the greens or SWP after moving over here as an adult for a career move or because that's where their dad paid the tuition fees isn't someone who should be fronting the views of a big swath of the population. I appreciate this extends to the public school crowd but that's an additional issue that needs sorting.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

kingturnip posted:

Actually, I'd feel a lot more confident that someone who's only been living and working in the UK for a couple of years would have a "deeper understanding of the issues around your community" than most Tory MPs and probably a few Labour and LibDem ones, too.

Thanks for editing out the part where I agreed with this.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Zephro posted:

Any party that isn't Labour, the Tories or the Lib Dems is a joke because FPTP gives them no reason to aim at competency. It's the worst system.

My one hope for this election is for the greens and ukip do well in terms of %votes but fail to gain a seat due to fptp in order to revive the issue of electoral reform.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

TinTower posted:

So Labour have come out in support of the Saatchi Bill.

There isn't a :negative: big enough.

Welp time to resign my membership

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Wait, is this is a bill that would give idiot doctors the ability to prescribe homoeopathy as a treatment for cancer on the nhs?

Yep I can to up to a colleague say I'm going to do exactly that and even if they call me everything under the sun and say I'm going to kill the patient I'd be immune from prosecution so long as I wrote down what they said in the notes.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Yeah but the muslims are outbreeding us init

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

It gives Lenny Henry something to do at least.

He's a proper arsehole in real life

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

How did they con you out a deposit?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

The builders left a shitload of rubbish around the house I'm in now when I moved in so Its not going to be hard leaving it in a better condition.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Never had too much trouble with landlords as a student though one tried to charge us a few hundred for reconnecting a phone line he cut and was astounded when we said no.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Prince John posted:

Actually, I have a question since we're on landlord chat. When we moved in to our semi-managed property (letting agent just used for inventory/money collection), the inventory was a sack of shite, even though it was apparently done by a professional inventory firm. There were loads of little damages that we picked up on and some of the descriptions in the inventory were just wrong (e.g. saying a room was tiled when it wasn't etc.)

As soon as we moved in, we marked up our comments on the inventory and sent it to the letting agent - they promptly replied and said "we don't accept any changes to the inventory". Are they actually allowed to ignore a tenant's comments to the inventory? They're hilariously incompetent in every way, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were trying it on.

It should be agreed by both parties I think. Current place used an independent assessor who was very generous with stating stuff that I thought was fine as" heavy damage and wear" I hope you took photos.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Id love it if they give him his turn in the speech party and have 30seconds of awkward silence with an empty chair

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

vegetables posted:

Is this as true as people say it is? I'd have thought that especially in the North people would have some sympathy for them; I know I've heard of a few people suggesting they'd vote for them if they stood outside of Scotland.

The SNP's line in the referendum was pretty much "we don't want our oil money to go the North of England :qq:"

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-31832392

This is a landmark ruling regarding divorce settlements. I don't really know how I feel about this ruling that there are no time limits on claiming divorce settlements.

I guess this all depends on how it's taken. As far as I'm aware this is simply a ruling on how long after the fact you can claim. That said this is a pretty shameless grab for money so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. I hope it's that she gets what she would have been awarded had she claimed at the time of the divorce

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

i had a few beers with craig charles once, he was a fun guy

Pissflaps posted:

Robot Wars was just remote control biscuit tins slowly avoiding each other. Garbage.

it was great live

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I'm not excepting this robot wars revisionism. I liked it when the nerds from cambridge spent 30 grand on theirs and it was shite

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Zephro posted:

Why would his job be on the line, though?

If they were both kicking off they should both get sacked

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I guess if you did it again you'd probably have a couple of people with quadcopters which would result in me immediately building one called swatter

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Holy poo poo lmao

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Nuclear power owns though

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

The BBC own all the IP for the show though so goptear can't magically appear on sky as a direct replacement

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

arse, I thought it was next thursday.
do we have a drinking game prepared for this impending horror show?

Last time the magic word was helicopters and i got very drunk

Coohoolin posted:

When is the debate and where can I watch it online?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAoMFz7qaR0

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

It's not a debate, it's two separate interviews and Q&A sessions with the audience.

Yeah i'm not sure i can be arsed tbh

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Coohoolin posted:

So is it a debate or not?

It isn't very difficult to work out

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

HAVE HIM PAXO

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

He's chopped up a line in the shape of the nhs logo

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Acaila posted:

I don't think Ed needs to be incredible, he just needs to be not an obvious poo poo. Cameron is just a mess of patronising soundbites, dogwhistle capitalism and question avoidance. It's quite impressive that he is actually worse at this than even I expected.

Yeah all that dogwhistle capitalism that everyone's def picked up on will have people deserting the tories in droves

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Yeah it should have been 2 half hour paxo grillings

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I'm currently in a super safe tory seat, i'm tempted to vote UKIP to try and give them momentum here

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

sorry you guys who're unemployed, you can get hosed apparently

Good get a job if you don't want to get hosed

Pissflaps posted:

Told you he was fired up for this

he's got into sam 'snowy' camerons stash of colombian marching power

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I have to say he's doing really well, miles better then i thought

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

NO SOCIELST

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I don't understand how some of these super vague questions trying to bring up his bad points are being allowed?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Good question, good answer. g'wan ed my son

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Prince John posted:

I'm catching up on this and think Cameron seems to be holding himself together reasonably well so far. Trying to imagine Natalie Bennett under this level of Paxo-attack and it would be a funny comparison.

Bennett vs paxo must happen

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

He's doing an amazing job of just admitting mistakes when they were made

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

LemonDrizzle posted:

Miliband's not handling this well.

He's doing incredibly well for how he normally is. Where you expecting him to stand up and sign the internationale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

That's just mean

I think he'll apologise to him afterwards for that. It was clearly a last attempt to get him riled up

• Locked thread