Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i bet it's real, and it's probably going to be fairly effective, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Well, you would, but life is full of disappointments. Like, I still meet people going "Challenge accepted" unironically

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

PiCroft posted:

Given a choice of Doge and "Long term economic plan", I think the choice is obvious.

the answer is to strangle anyone who uses either of them

the only economic plans worth mentioning are plans for the next half decade

i like to call them
five-year plans

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Also, Mao was personally a very impressive individual in a lot of ways

dude was really sharp, also strong-willed, devious and charismatic

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Prince John posted:

I was watching a documentary about your namesake last night, and apparently he whizzed through a three year law degree in a single year. Smart cookie.

Oh yeah, Lenin was one of those people you can read and just *feel* the intelligence of. I very rarely feel completely out of my depth reading even very clever people, but reading Lenin is a very humbling experience. I think it's because he's not a really super cryptic (like Wittgenstein or many continentals) or especially dense in his prose (Hegel, looking at you), so he just lays his analysis open in a way that makes it look completely obvious without obscuring his work. He was very much a product of his time, but I think he might be my favourite prose writer from a reader's perspective - he just hits that sweet spot of sophistication, erudition and straightforwardness for me. More so than even guys like Sartre or Russel, for whatever reason.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Left-Wing Communism, an Infantile Disorder is very good, it's maybe the single most valuable document for assessing the theoretical justifications for the early development of the Soviet Union. I very much enjoy Materialism and Empirio-Criticism, which is probably Lenin's most original philosophical work. Other than that, What Is To Be Done and State and Revolution are, being the biggest "classics", also good for understanding Lenin's thinking. I understand he's got a textbook on the materialist dialectic, but I can't comment on that as I haven't read it. Beyond that, he's got a lot of essays (some terribly dated) and various commentary on contemporary political issues. Imperialism, the Highest Stage of Capitalism is also a really good summary of the "orthodox" Marxist view on the relation between, well, imperialism and capitalism as such, and a major theoretical contribution.

Lenin's most important works are fairly esoteric, and he is really fond of Engels, but they can be read on their own. I particularly like his sick beatdowns on people - he writes some absolutely savage polemics. Find anything about Bernstein, or Kautsky after the outbreak of the Great War - his writing just drips of venom.

e. oh hey, look how beaten i got

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

StoneOfShame posted:

I would move away from the Marxists and read something like Bourdieu's Distinction for a more nuanced understanding of class structure than the Marxist one or perhaps some Foucault for a philosophical framework that offers a great place to critique the framework of Marxism that relies heavily on metanarratives.

die pomo scum

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

For real, though, Foucault is great, but I do think it's good to have an understanding of the subject of a critique prior to the critique itself, and Lenin is both entertaining and lucid as a writer. Also Foucault really loved him some Marxism, so eh

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

I could never get the hang of Lukacs. Everyone says he's great, but all I can see is that duck cartoon that says "Liberals" over and over again, only saying "realism"

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Disinterested posted:

Ya well Luxemburg and Gramschi then.

These do indeed own, I embarrassingly only really "got" the state of being of the capitalist (i.e. that it's a social function, not necessarily a specific dude) after reading Luxemburg's Reform or Revolution, and Gramsci is just magical.

StoneOfShame posted:

Oh totally, I was assuming some familiarity with Marxism already as Zizek was mentioned so I was just dropping what I would consider the best alternative view. Foucault is odd in the sense that he did love Marxism but his work often seemed to disagree with the core philosophy of it and you almost get the feeling that he didn't always want to agree with what his work showed him. He also often spoke of things different to what he spoke much more in an activist role than a strictly academic one, the guy owned. Bourdieu is also something that no one should overlook his analysis of social order and the role of language and culture constructing power arrangements as well as economic capital doing so is fascinating, just good luck with the 200 word sentences!

Confession time: I have only ever read secondary sources re: Bourdieu. I keep telling myself that I'll get on him some day and just not doing it.

I think the complicated relationship of Foucault and Marxism is similar to his relationship with modernity in general - on one hand, I have always seen him as the last of the great modernists, on the other he's clearly at least a precursor to what we call post-modernism in his methods. It is very confusing. I'd tend to see him as a heterodox Marxist and his critique as a basically internal one rather than as a fundamental rebuttal of the whole Marxian project, but ymmv. I am also not an expert on Foucault, so take it with a grain of salt.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Disinterested posted:

Foucault's aspirations are a bit different to Marx's though, obviously; Foucault's dominant categories are power, knowledge, and discourse. He's much more invested in how people think than Marx is, really. He definitely doesn't have the scientism of the orthodox Marxist.

Oh, yeah, I don't think this is even contestable. The question is whether Foucault's methods or project contradict the underlying Marxian programme, and I don't think it does.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

If you say so, I guess. I suppose I tend to think the whole "metanarrative" point is one that tends to be overstated, both for how destructive the critique is and for how fundamental it really is to the central premises of marxism, but I really am a little exposed when discussing Foucault, so I won't argue the point.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

OK, so how do you use that as a critique of e.g. the historical-materialist approach as such? Do you outright reject the notion of historical "progress"? That doesn't seem reasonable, IMO.

Like, I get that Foucault does different things than simply restating or elaborating on an original Marxian basis. I don't get how it contradicts that basis, in the sense that one cannot coherently use both modes of analysis simultaneously. Of course Foucault will be used to interrogate Marxian narratives as much as other ones, but my point is that interrogation does not necessarily mean a fundamental rejection of the premises. To put it in dialectical terms, a critique may negate the original thesis without fundamentally being alien to that thesis - certainly I can accept that a lot of the relatively high-level stuff in Marx's view of history, escathology etc., must be rejected by a consistent Foucauldian, but I don't see a basic rejection of the Marxist/Marxian programme as such is necessary, if that makes sense.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Eh, keeping this whole debate thing alive isn't the dumbest thing Milliband has done. He might possibly be more elegant about it, but Cameron's whinging on this is probably the easiest attack in existence. It's an opportunity to establish Cameron as weak, and a very rare opportunity for Milliband to appear strong. He really wants this to have legs.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yo why is lily allen a monster? i enjoy her music, want to know why she is actually terrible

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ok i won't

i dunno, you lot are uk-ers and i've read stuff indicating that people think she's a poo poo in previous iterations of the thread, i'm just curious as to why that would be

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Pesmerga posted:

In this thread, that could be anything from drowning puppies through to the wrong flavour of monster munch. I'm not sure in her case though.

Edit: in no way am I suggesting she either a) drowns puppies or b) has admitted to preferring the wrong flavour of monster munch.

yeah i know, but often this thread actually knows things that i don't, so :shrug:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Coohoolin posted:

I like Lily Allen (she did a "gently caress you coalition" song last year) but she got some flak for a music video that was a bit poo poo about black women's body images, having a go at them for having "big booty" or whatever it was.
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/nov/17/lily-allen-hard-out-here

oh come on that song literally spelled out that it was sarcastic in the lyrics

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Coohoolin posted:

Hey, I didn't say I agreed, just that it happened. It's the only negative thing I can remember associated with Lily Allen so if you wanna jump around to Smile on your way to work feel free man.

i would do this anyway, i'm just curious and this seemed like the place to ask

like, if i only listened to pop made by Correct artists i'd hardly listen to anything

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

you know spangly a i am starting to suspect you might be a bit of a misanthrope

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Pissflaps posted:

I think you have some weird pro Lily Allen agenda.

i have been found out! curses

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the jury stuff is bullshit, though, romania deserved to win in 2013

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

they aren't very charitable in their readings, are they

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tooterfish posted:

Here you go!

Basically: right to buy + inflated housing market + housing benefit = rich landlord subsidy.

tony benn tried to warn you, but you did not heed him! you did not deserve tony benn

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

LemonDrizzle posted:

it's not like atlas shrugged is on school reading lists or read by anybody other than libertarian turbonerds who think wearing bow ties makes them look sophisticated, i don't really think it's doing a whole lot of damage to the world

also the finance minister of norway has it as her favourite book so y'know

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

you can read the first two or three pages of atlas shrugged and get a feel for it - apart from galt's absurd speech, it's basically the same all the way, with no pacing or anything to speak of. i don't mind rand's prose, tbh, it works for what she wants it to even if she sounds evil and incredibly angry all the time. it is a mediocre novel apart from That Speech, which makes it bad.

it's better than, like, fifty shades of grey, which is so shoddily written sentence-wise that i had to force myself to finish even the tiny bit i decided to read

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Darth Walrus posted:

If you're looking for definitions of race and ethnicity that weren't pseudoscientific messes cooked up by racists to further their agendas, I've got some bad news for you.

some definitions were made by people who wanted to figure out if it was actually a Thing, though

turns out it mostly isn't

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Pissflaps posted:

Is this based on the idea that somebody would vote for Labour in the hope that they'd form a formal coalition with the SNP? How does that work?

it's more, i think, that labour is further alienating the SNP and thus anyone who sympathises in any way with them (which is probably most scots) will have less reason to vote labour

basically, scots have had a nagging feeling that they're a very long way from westminster already, and this just reinforces that feeling. is the theory.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

no, alienating scots by saying they don't want anything to do with the party perceived as the Scottish Party

the alternative would've been "we're up for it if the snp goes along with [apparently reasonable demands that the snp isn't going to go for]", which would've signalled that yes, they take scotland and the representatives of scotland seriously and it's scotland rejecting those premises rather than westminster looking down on scotland

that the snp already ruled out cooperation only gave labour a safe opportunity to pain themselves as the reasonable party, which they chose not to take, either because they're incompetent or because they reckoned that it would make them look weak in some other way that would more than balance out any goodwill gained in scotland

it's not about the substance, it's about the message

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Pissflaps posted:

I suspect that a Scot who identifies with the SNP as being 'the Scottish Party' is likely to be voting for them already.

you're being obtuse, and i don't know if that's deliberate or because you genuinely don't see the power dynamics going on here

the snp is a regionalist party, and even people who don't support them for policy reasons will tend to identify them with the region, and thus with disrespect towards that party as disrespect for the region - this has little to do the snp in particular, and more to do with regionalist parties as such - people who didn't support the IRA were horrified at the treatment of Bobby Sands as a symbol of ireland.

basically, if you have a feeling that you're marginalised for [reason], the marginalisation of people who specifically represent [the reason] is going to make you uneasy even if you don't support that party. so, communists might get uneasy about the larger communist party in a country being banned, even if they belonged to a different communist sect or whatever

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Jose posted:

You're blowing this massively out of proportion

no, i'm not saying that it's a huge thing, i'm explaining the mechanisms by which it is a thing at all, however minor, because pissflaps appeared not to understand what i was getting at

i don't think this is, by itself, going to make any significant difference, but it's part of an ongoing theme

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

francis urquhart set him up

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tbf i'd really appreciate it if people would stop bloody applauding at political conferences all the time, it is really tiresome

jazz hands seems like a good way to make "spontaneous" applause too awkward to engage in

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

for real, though, there's a tendency towards people wanting acceptance and accommodation for weakness rather than trying to overcome it in general, and i don't know how i feel about that

like, i'm all about fixing structural issues so people have a fair shake, but getting upset about completely innocuous, everyday phenomena is seriously your own problem. i'm terrified of heights, but this doesn't mean i get to demand that any conference i take part in be on the ground floor or w/e

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

re: race and gender:

gender is a high-level ideological concept based off of sex, which is a Real Biological Thing - both "man" and "woman" are unquestionably valid categories (they may or may not be the only valid sexual categories, but they are valid)

so, gender roles are built on objective realities. some people genuinely don't see themselves as belonging to the gender corresponding to their sex, and so should probably be met with measures helping this out. there's a lot of biological weirdness around transgenderism, but there are at least some neurological indications that some people literally have central nervous systems with gender-dimorphic features belonging to the opposite sex to which they are born.

race is pure identity. it's something we make up and then construct our definitions to justify after the fact. it is a rubbish concept. so when someone claims to be another race, it's purely grabbing another identity

this is also why it's totally ok to make fun of super-weird paraphilias and otherkin etc and not, like, gay people

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

African AIDS cum posted:

Sickle cell anemia is a social construct

see, this is what i'm talking about by constructing the definition of race after the fact

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

racial realism itt

what would you say is the general biological definition of "race", forums poster african aids cum

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

like, is "black" a race? is "caribbean black" a race?

are sephardic jews and arabs racially different? what about slavs, are they a distinct race from roumanians

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

African AIDS cum posted:

Yes, no, yes, yes

so ethiopians and xhosa people are the same race, i assume

my point is it's very difficult to construct a biological definition of "race" that is consistent with your answers here which is not explicitly made up in order to conform with the basically arbitrary racial categories we're already operating with (type phrenology, skin colour whatever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Pissflaps posted:

As a white male I'd find it problematic to dismiss race as a construct because in doing so i'm also dismissing racism.

much like ur posting

• Locked thread