Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Because i feel people in positions of power in politics should be reflective of the people they represent and growing up in a country you get a much deeper understanding of the issues around your community.

Actually, I'd feel a lot more confident that someone who's only been living and working in the UK for a couple of years would have a "deeper understanding of the issues around your community" than most Tory MPs and probably a few Labour and LibDem ones, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I was going to ask how any legislator could think it would be a good idea, and then the word 'LOBBYING' appeared in front of my eyes in 72-point Comic Sans.

Remind me why the government haven't curbed lobbying yet?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I remember a BBC article a couple of years back where they said that Staffies are one of very few breeds that are recommended for being good around very small children.

But then, Tories are supposed to be the family-friendly party, and lol at IDS' latest considered atrocities.

I suppose what I'm saying is that, for all their 'good intentions', society would be better off if we erased both from the face of the planet.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The only people suggesting a Lab/Con coalition at the moment are Conservative politicians.
Admittedly, it'll put thoughts in a few people's heads that there's not much ideological ground between the two, but that's the only reason they're doing it right now. As an election spoiler tactic.

Which tells you how worried Tory nobs are about their chances at the election.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Seeing that Circle could get a contract is mind-boggling.
They're incompetent. They backed out of a flagship privatisation project recently in light of the fact that they're incompetent.

But no, just give them some more money. I'm sure they'll do better this time. :shepicide:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

KKKlean Energy posted:

Question about the budget: won't encouraging everyone to put their money into savings accounts instead of spending it cripple the economy?

More to the point, with interest rates as low as they are, why would anyone save money (unless they're wealthy enough to afford good interest rates, or are saving for a deposi-lol)?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yeah, I get the feeling lots of UKIP voters are the kind of people who unironically believe that being White British means you're a minority in the UK.

UKIP are a drunk clown car of stupid and Farage's method of voter-engagement is to drink beer and guffaw. What's that quote? "Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience".
Some people look really loving stupid in those pictures, and it's not Farage.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jedit posted:

If that's the case then you're talking either the SNP supporting the Tories openly for five years before ceasing to exist, or Labour are blackmailed/rendered unable to govern and become unelectable for a decade plus.

I know it's asking a lot, but Salmond should just shut his loving mouth for 5 minutes.
If Labour are the biggest party, but have no majority, congratulations, the SNP have the basis of being able to exert considerable influence over Westminster for the next parliament; there's no need to brag in advance about it.

Shout about it in advance, though, and the media get to run scare stories and promote the whole 'Tory is the only way' agenda.
So either Salmond is so certain that Labour will do well at the election that he feels confident there's nothing to lose, or;
he couldn't give two shits about what the Tories do in their next parliament as long as he gets to be Mr :smuggo: or;
he's a colossal dickhead with an ego to match.

Take your pick, really.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I thought Bercow defected to Labour a while back, but apparently simply by calling the Tories out on their bullshit every now and then, he's somehow more Labour than most Labour MPs.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The fact that Tories hate him is enough to make me like him.
The fact that he seems genuinely interested in trying to increase voter engagement (particularly among the young) is just icing on the cake.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

baka kaba posted:

What do you mean? They don't need help - those people can go all the way to become Prime Minister!

Ivan for Prime Minister, imo

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
While it's great that kids and teenagers who played videogames in the 90s are now old enough to have kids, it's kind of annoying that some of them are too stupid to realise that some games are rated 18 for a reason.

At least give them Spacechem or something like that, jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Well, if he'd been properly ruthless, he'd have michael howarded Shapps into agreeing that using a non-conventional way of measuring tax increases was purely political and intended to be deceptive.
Still, it's better than most political interviews.

• Locked thread