Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

vegetables posted:

Not up here in Scotland, where polls suggest they could end up with a massive 0 seats. That's not likely, but it even being in the realm of possibility seems pretty seismic to me.

Yeah, Alistair Carmichael could take a poo poo on the steps of St Magnus Cathedral in Kirkwall and still be returned as MP for Orkney and Shetland. So that's one seat they've got going for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

vegetables posted:

I think the thing l I was looking at gave them only a 52% chance of winning there; I imagine this might imply said thing wasn't a very credible source.

Electoral Calculus? For a long time, they thought UKIP would get 17% in Cambridge; they pretty much apply the swing model in the worst possible way.

I wouldn't be surprised if either Labour or the Tories lost their deposit in O&S; they were both on 10% in 2010.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Kegluneq posted:

She's also an advocate for the Nordic model so she's capable of being bloody stupid at times. I'm not really sure what the relevance of her having picked up some rubbish is with regards to her policies and beliefs as a whole though.

The Greens are losing a lot of credibility with LGBT voters too due to influential Greens coming out in favour of transphobic dogwhistles too. Which really loving annoys me.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Kegluneq posted:

Yeah, Rupert Read is a prize tosspot. Does that really reflect on the party as a whole though? I believe they have two trans parliamentary candidates standing at least (with no hope of winning obv).

Darren Johnson AM and Peter Tatchell are also influential Greens who are way too accepting of transphobia, to say the least. Even before he signed that letter, I found Tatchell's whole schtick of putting make-up on autocrats to make fun of them pretty… dodgy, to say the least. Beatrix Campbell is even one of the ringleaders of the commentariat backlash against trans people.

And yeah, I know of Charlie and Stella. And they're both annoyed as all hell about all this.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

What's the percentage of people who identify as transgendered? I imagine it's well under 1% so it's unlikely anyone short of a trans superstar could get elected under FPTP. All the more reason for a top up PR list system a la Holyrood.

Out trans people have been able to get elected to FPTP council positions, but only in Cambridge so far.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Which speaks more about local parties in Cambridge selecting their candidates than the electorate who probably is barely aware of who they are voting for in council elections beyond ticking the box next to their party of choice. Getting selected to run for parliament in a safe constituency is a whole other game.

There's an informal accord between Labour and the Lib Dems in Cambridge that if a trans candidate is selected for any position, their gender identity is off-limits (mostly, this is to shut people like Germaine Greer up). Rupert Read coming out with the transphobic poo poo last month is one of the few times Cambridge Labour and Cambridge Lib Dems have agreed on something in the past couple of years.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

mfcrocker posted:

You've got to be seriously delusional to not realise that Putin is a massive imperialist, although I wouldn't be surprised.

Tankies still love Mother Russia, even as Russia's crony capitalism makes America look and think they've gone too far.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

StoneOfShame posted:

I would like to know if HorseLord supports North Korea as they oppose American imperialism (this is something the CPGB-ML actually espouse).

HorseLord is Maoist-Rebel-News-Two, confirmed.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

E: double post

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Also, if you see anyone insist the correct term is "Marxism-Leninism-Maoism", you know they're pretentious as gently caress.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

maoism.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay-97T_V8rU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

So Labour have come out in support of the Saatchi Bill.

There isn't a :negative: big enough.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 3, 2015

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Kegluneq posted:

Didn't we throw a massive strop at the one who came to see our food banks?

Yvette Cooper for PM imo

Never make a Home Secretary or their shadows into PMs; Home Secretaries invariably turn into fascists in the job.

To be honest, we should nuke Yarl's Wood into the dirt. They've been mistreating detainees since it opened fifteen or so years ago.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

StoneOfShame posted:

That's loving ridiculous, there's so much good work that needs done in NI but the politicians are to busy holding onto the past and having petty pissing contests instead of looking forward. I also like how Sinn Fein say they are committed to equality in such matters, this may be true but in Newry they think some are more equal than others. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-31703859

Meanwhile, the DUP are hell-bent on making gay people second-class citizens by effectively making it legal to discriminate against them.

If the Shinners don't petition of concern it out of the country, they'll have completely failed at promoting equality.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

It's been pretty clear that the SNP would agree with kicking Trident into the long grass. Getting Trident out of Scotland would give Labour an easy win on the lost jobs argument.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Pesmerga posted:

It says a lot that she is more palatable than the head of Scottish Labour. Seems more progressive too.

In the 2011 SLab leadership election, there was at least one candidate running to the right of the Tories.

Whitefish posted:

Cambridge :words:.

I'm surprised Zeichner got selected this time around; he was responsible for Labour dropping to third in 2010 by way of a Nazi salute.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Kegluneq posted:

...How is a blog written by Jews 'massively anti-Semitic'? Are they not the right kind of Jews?

For what it's worth, the world's most powerful Jew is an anti-Semite. :v:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

He seemed okayish on LGBT rights.

Blair was more of a "go along with the flow" person in LGBT rights than an active supporter. His government was explicitly opposed to same-sex marriage.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

There is an argument that something broke in Tony's brain around about 9/11. You look at his first few years, where he passed a minimum wage and the HRA, and then look at a few years ago when he was advising the president of Kazakhstan how to damage-control a massacre of striking workers.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Eh, that's better than nothing. They repealed Section 28, lowered age of consent to match hetrosexual AOC, introduced civil partnerships, allowed gay couples, or single individuals (gay or otherwise) to adopt, and various other anti-discrimination acts. Stepping stones.

His government might have been remembered as simply "okay", if it weren't for his loving toxic laws on civil liberties, and dragging everyone into Iraq. And then lying about it, amid all the other sleaze. He went crazy, all right.

Labour also killed off private member attempts at killing Section 28, equal AoC (in opposition), and civil partnerships.

Their record on trans rights is piss-poor too. They were forced by Strasbourg to pass the Gender Recognition Act, after all.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Silly Hyena posted:

Have the lib dems made any announcements about who they'd be backing? I'm assuming it'd be the same as last time where they decide to support the largest party, but with Labour and the Conservatives looking so close it looks like the only possible majorities would be Labour+SNP+Lib Dems (if Labour is larger than the Tories, which will be a close thing), Labour+SNP+DUP, or Tories+Labour. I'm excluding support between parties that have already promised not to support each other, and even then I don't think the DUP are likely to back a Labour government. Not a lot of options unless the polls are a bag of wank.

Looks highly possible there'll be a second election.

The Lib Dems can't announce who they're backing as the party's constitution says that it has to be approved at a Special Conference. The fact the Lib Dem membership got to approve the coalition but not the Tory membership has really pissed off some of the drier Tories.

The DUP did – rather infamously – back Gordon Brown on 42 days detention, but neither party would be seen dead in a formal coalition with the other. Their presence would also almost certainly preclude the Lib Dems and SNP from joining a coalition.

I think of the two options you've given, Tory/Labour is probably more likely. This thread seriously underestimates the amount of hatred Labour have for the SNP.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I wouldn't be too shocked if we found out Straw was a pedo, mind you.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Party Boat posted:

Over Christmas I had a very long and drunken conversation with a friend who's done some work for the Labour party in Liverpool (and happens to be gay), mentioning Glindon's homophobia and anti-choice views as a reason I'd struggle to vote Labour. He eventually talked me round by saying that those views are fringe in the party and society as a whole, and that I should look at the rest of her voting record where her voice is one that makes a difference.

Her view is definitely a minority, but I wouldn't say it was fringe. There is a significant minority of Catholic Labour MPs who vote against abortion and gay rights. On the other hand, they tend to be robust defenders of the welfare state.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Miliband has just ruled out a coalition with the SNP.

The grand coalition is coming, guys. :allears:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Either this article is exaggerating, or the Department of Health is spectacularly missing the difference between a consenting adult opting into something that is already regulated and a child being forced into something that is awful. :wtc:
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/women-with-vagina-piercings-to-be-classed-as-suffering-from-fgm-10113202.html

I imagine that DfID are livid, given the government starting to focus on FGM is one of the few good things to come out of the Coalition.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Yer Da's youtube page is nothing but clips of Top Gear set to "The boys are back in town"

Also he did this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31989571

Fucks sake.

The best thing is that it was Guido Fawkes in a Soviet tank.

That's right, poo poo "Paul" Staines has gone so far right he's wrapped around and become a Stalinist. :ussr:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

cam'rons britane

:britain: we're number one! we're poo poo! :britain:

"East Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire" is a stupid NUTS region that no-one really thinks should exist except bureaucrats during the seventies. :colbert:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

So, remember Karie Murphy, the candidate at the centre of the Falkirk vote-rigging selection scandal? She's embroiled in another scandal, this time in Halifax. This time, she failed to make the AWS.

The Halifax selection is rather interesting; Riordan's very late announcement that she's retiring was initially perceived as a snub towards local councillors Tim Swift and Barry Collins, who between them infamously lost Labour control of the council last year despite being one seat short of a majority. From the leaked emails in the Indy, that may not be far off the mark.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

francis urquhart set him up

You might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I'm at NUS Women's Conference right now. Basically all Steering said is "hey, some people with sensory issues can be really negatively affected by loud clapping, so don't be an rear end in a top hat, yeah?" It's really not even an issue.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Back to jazz hands talk: if you think the NUS's name for them is silly, the Occupy movement call them "uptwinkles".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Stagecoach is run by a notorious homophobe who once spent a million pounds in a failed attempt to keep Section 28 on the books, so…

In other news, vote labour.

• Locked thread