Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JFairfax posted:

What's infidels of Britain all about, sounds fun

Britain's Got Infidels would be a good talent show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

UKMT March - Bake Off responsible for British Neo-fascism

What do you think of that, Kuchenfuhrer Berry?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

I just like to watch the baking.

We all know it's not the cakes you want to put in the oven.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jose posted:

The bill doesn't specify terminal illnesses

Don't worry, they'll be terminal by the time alternative therapists have finished.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jesus H Christ. If I'm reading Cooper right, Serco have set up an independent inquiry into themselves after Theresa May refused to. How loving evil do you have to be that the company who will be disgraced if the findings confirm these stories is more interested in the truth getting out than you are?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

JFairfax posted:

The gently caress Crewkerne?

At its peak a year ago, more than 200 little doors had been screwed, nailed and installed on trees, according to Mr Acreman.

And with little tokens, fairy toys and notes secreted behind some of the doors, it has rapidly become known as "the fairy woods".

"We've had as many as 10 doors put up on a single tree; they surrounded the tree," he said.

"We had a complete fairy fairground arrive, but we rejected that planning proposal."

I guess people have been at the mushrooms and scrumpy down in zummerzet

Installation of fairy doors in trees with large exposed root gaps is something of a tradition down south. I've never heard of it on this kind of scale before, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

stickyfngrdboy posted:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31743031

The Tories want to limit child benefit to three kids, in a move not entirely financially motivated. It might send 'a message about personal responsibility'.

Indeed it does. It is everyone's personal responsibility to ensure they vote out the vile shits in government this May.

And Christ, are we really only eight or nine weeks out from the Genial Erection?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

happyhippy posted:

Some of the public comments on the BBC webpage about this are hilarious.

I liked the one that basically said "and how are Labour going to save money on welfare? They aren't, they're just going to say businesses should pay tax as usual".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BigPaddy posted:

Had a landlord claim the reason the flat was damp was due to my "lifestyle" and not you know the overflow pipe dripping down the side of the building 24/7 leaving a deep puddle above the damp course. Lost the deposit when he claimed thousands in damage. Stupid wanker bought the place without a survey being done so missed the fact the whole place was sinking on one side where an underground river was running.

Full communes now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

how many black students are there at aberdeen university anyway?

More than there used to be. Twenty years ago Aberdeen had almost no black population at all, but these days I see students of all ethnicities all the time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Touchdown Boy posted:

Unless you just take it from poor people like the Tories advocate.

Which is why austerity isn't working - the poor have none left to take.

Gorn: not a good idea, people already confuse them with Friends of Dorothy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Oberleutnant posted:

We need enough to obliterate at least Leningrad and Stalingrad

Coohoolin came back from St Petersburg, that halves the cost at a stroke.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

winegums posted:

SNP is a wide church. There are those in the SNP who are little Scotlanders and just want us to close the borders and pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist. However there's also the group who think that Scotland's political leaning are just too far removed from the rest of the UK to make a difference. Despite us being quite left wing overall we are ruled over by right or centre-right parties year after year.

Scotland has voted with the majority party in every post-war General Election bar two.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

EmptyVessel posted:

Ehh, close but no. Buckfast was invented by Benedictine monks - several monastic schools have long histories with making strong wines and beers as everyone here probably knows.
The problematic relationship with it in Scotland - particularly the Central Belt - stems from the habit of Victorian mine owners issuing a daily ration of it to their workers. As a 'tonic wine' this was presented as looking after their health but actually just led to a dependence which has sadly become traditional. So less 'the English' and more capitalists keeping their workers suitably numb.

This is complete and utter horseshit. Buckfast Abbey didn't even brew tonic wine until the 1890s and it wasn't until it was licensed out by the Abbey in the late 20s that production went above 1000 litres a year - two thirds of which was sold at the Abbey gates.

Buckfast is the drinking problem of choice in the Central Belt because it's cheap as dirt and has more caffeine than Red Bull. That's it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't understand why a southern English drink is so exclusively linked to deprived Scottish areas though. Sure it's strong and cheap, but it's rare you find a bottle for sale in poor bits of Newcastle or Manchester etc (or even London) which you'd think you would if they were the only factors at play.

If you base your drinking choices on anything other than bang per buck it's going to be what you see other people drinking, which was at the time more likely to be local brands. Underage drinkers from bad areas are also more likely to see people drinking in the street than indoors. In Newcastle and Manchester a teenager wanting to get blitzed could go into an off-licence and get a pack of a cheap local brand like Newkie Brown or Boddies. The big local brands in the Central Belt during the period when the neds discovered Buckie were pub ales like McEwan's and Younger's, which you wouldn't find being drunk in the street, and spirits that were more expensive than they could afford.

E: regarding the cost of Buckfast, it was jacked up a few years ago to try and take it upmarket. hookerbot, you may be able to get a few bottles of plonk for the cost of a bottle of Buckfast, but plonk is not a bottle of double-espresso Jagerbomb. Also wine is posh.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 8, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Oberleutnant posted:

Not one mention of Hooch. For shame.

I know, people act like alcopops were never really a problem.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cerv posted:

reminder that the trial of the century is due to end this week.
no doubt will fill plenty of column inches over the weekend.

http://jewdas.org/what-is-actually-on-trial-in-the-lutfur-rahman-case/

Do I really want to know why you're linking to a massively anti-Semitic blog written by a supporter of what may be the most corrupt council in the entire history of the UK?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kegluneq posted:

...How is a blog written by Jews 'massively anti-Semitic'? Are they not the right kind of Jews?

That blog is written by Jews? Then they're pretty loving stupid equating themselves with religion's most famous traitor and writing a blog post squealing about how Lutfur Rahman wouldn't be persecuted like this if he were a Jew. Seriously, I expected them to blame the ZOG for the whole affair at any moment.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Oberleutnant posted:

When you put it like that you might as well say you hate spending money at all ever for anything.

A statement that does not conflict with, for example, wanting free-at-point-of-access healthcare for everyone.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

Because they know Scotland or Wales would do way better than England or the UK and that just sticks. What other UK winners have there been since Lulu, btw?

A reminder to you here that Switzerland has had one winner since 1956 and it was Celine loving Dion, so you have no room to talk about how bad other nations are in Eurovision.

Coohoolin posted:

I love eurovision. Finland's entry is going to be awesome, it's a punk band whose members all have learning disabilities.

This year's Finnish entry is likely to be especially worshipped by goons as it's made entirely of autists with Downs syndrome, but they are one of the few countries that still really tries. I like the Finns, even if they do look like they're all cousins.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That's depressing. Most of the country is missing its 1 in 10 target.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fluo posted:

Anyone read this article http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/03/06/britain-s-horrific-vip-pedophile-cover-up.html

I know Savile would have Christmas with Thatcher but....

How trust worthy is the daily beast? Don't know much about the site. All is hosed, was a good read....... but hosed up

I recall we were talking about it in the phone hacking and miscellaneous scandal thread. The basic story is true, but Hale has been exaggerating it more with each retelling. He can no longer be trusted.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Evening Express have outdone themselves. Their job supplement is advertised with a picture of Clarkson looking glum and the strap line "Things not going well at work? Find a Top Job inside!" They even parodied the Top Gear logo for it. :allears:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Extreme0 posted:

Please post this picture.

As the masochistic genie said, your command is my wish:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sorry for the double-post, I wanted to separate business from pleasure.

Zephro posted:

Late to the party here but large swathes of Japan use bottled LPG and they don't seem to have a problem with fires, so it's probably fine.

If you're off the mains, though, kerosene heating oil is the standard alternative. I had it in a house a while back and it's fine, you just need to remember to order more oil when prices are low (usually in spring and summer).

I analysed liquid heating fuels prices a few years ago and found it was always cheaper to top up as you went than to empty the tank and buy with bulk discount. Here's a chart of kerosene prices from 2009 to date:

(Note that everything after September 2013 should be roughly 5.5p/litre higher, as that's when they stopped folding supplier margins into the base price.)

There are small seasonal drops, but on the whole they are outweighed by increases in the base price of oil.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Farage has gone full swivel-eyed racist loon.

quote:

Pressed on which discrimination laws he would get rid of, the Ukip leader said: “Much of it. I think the employer should be much freer to make decisions on who he or she employs.”

Asked whether there would be a law against discrimination on the grounds of race or colour under Ukip, Farage added: “No … because we take the view, we are colour-blind. We as a party are colour-blind.”

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

The Lifeline program in the US to issue subsidized phones and airtime to eligible people enrolled in certain government programs doesn't seem like a terrible idea.

Indeed not. But we don't have a program like that, which is why this is yet another monstrously bad idea.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

JFairfax posted:

Finland are sending a bunch of goons to Eurovision

Welcome to last week's jokes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Oberleutnant posted:

I thought his alzheimer's had stabilised somewhat and don't know of any other major issues he had with his health, so I wonder if this was him choosing to go out on his own terms?

No on all counts. He'd been getting progressively frailer and he lost most of his sight last summer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I really hope he chose to die. After all the campaigning and righteous fury that he put into right to die it feels like a betrayal of his beliefs and who he was if he got taken out before he could make that decision.

It would be a terrible shame if someone in this country could die without this thread trying to politicise it before their body was cold.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

No, gently caress the pair of you. Pterry didn't want to die; he wanted the right to choose death if life became too hard to bear. It never did, and for that we should be glad - not wishing further pain on him and anyone who had to watch him decline for the sake of a political point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kegluneq posted:

That's nice, except you actually complained about people politicising his death; something he did very vocally himself in life.

No, he politicised his life. The focus of the Right To Die campaign is that each man's life is his own possession, and so he should have the right to relinquish it if he wishes. For some people that point comes after the point where they could take matters into their own hands, and that is why the RTDs feel it should not be a crime to spare someone further pain if they have made their wishes clearly known.

E: Let's lighten the mood a bit.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 12, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kegluneq posted:

In other words, he was also politicising his death. :cmon:

There's a subtlety, and you're missing it. Let's drop it rather than get heated.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

As if Rotherham didn't have enough problems: http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-31895703

I guess that one will be going to the Purple Monsters.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zephro posted:

Britain is not the rich country is likes to portary itself as.

No, Britain is a rich country and probably the sixth wealthiest in the world as is claimed. What you're not accounting for is where the wealth resides.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

JorahTheExplorer posted:

are any of these parties going to nuke newcastle or sunderland?

Why, are you uncertain where your vote is going?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

JFairfax posted:

LOL

loving hell.

a teacher told you to go and sit in the girl's changing room and you passed up that opportunity and dobbed them in.

shocking behaviour.

Tell us more about how you like to watch 12 year old girls undressing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah Thatcher was loving evil but she did the right thing with the Falklands business.

The right thing for the wrong reason. She did it to shore up the polls. Also more British Falklands veterans have committed suicide than soldiers died in the fighting, in part due to Tory slashing of mental health services.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

The election night is going to be fascinating im proper excited might take the following day off.

I'm absolutely taking the following day off, I'm working the count again.

E: March 17 1944, Patti Boyd is born.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Prince John posted:

Does this mean that the stories of Conservatives wanting to take state spending back to the 1920s are bollocks? I've been hearing that slogan bandied around a lot lately by Labour.

Of course it's bollocks to say the Tories want to take state spending back 100 years. Miliband is Jewish, he's talking about 1920 Jewish calendar.

• Locked thread