Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Besides, both sides have fascists on them. Fascists are just A Thing in that conflict, and Russia has been doing way more to accelerate the spread of fascism in Europe than Ukraine, both domestically and internationally. They're where our far-right parties get most of their money from, for a start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
All your kids are belong to us?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What is the appeal of Maoism, anyway? I mostly hear it described as 'Marxism-Leninism with more focus on agriculture', but Mao was famously poo poo at agriculture.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dabir posted:

Is it too late to demand Full Luddism Now?

Cancel your SA account and smash your computer. Be the change you want to see in the world.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JFairfax posted:

I don't think Miliband is ruthless enough to win a debate against a tub of lard

Have he and Eric Pickles had many Commons sparring matches?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JFairfax posted:

did you feel as though at every step the process was designed to trick you? or did you concentrate, check - perhaps having someone else review it - and successfully complete the application?

Why are you assuming these two are mutually exclusive?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

So people hate the unemployed, disabled people, children, mothers and immigrants.

You say this like it's news.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Another little insight into the corrupt mess that is our military-industrial complex.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I did some dog-walking for the local home a while back, and some of the pitbulls there were just goddamned adorable. See, the reason they have those weirdly-shaped faces is because they're designed not to let go of anything they bite down on, and their heads are pretty much all jaw muscle. There was this one bull terrier they had who was the sweetest, most gentle little guy you could imagine, but had to wear a muzzle whenever you took him out. He'd never attack people or other animals, see, but he had this habit of clamping onto trees, park benches, or railings, falling asleep, and not moving for hours. I was told by the staff about this one time he attached himself to a branch halfway up a tree and just hung there, peaceful as could be, until they bribed him down with biscuits.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What's the word on Cage losing its sponsors? Are they just getting hung out to dry for saying politically-uncomfortable things, or are they genuinely sketch?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tooterfish posted:

Jesus christ you're like a pitbull with lockjaw.

Let it go for a loving second, you boring gently caress.

Speaking from experience, pitbulls with lockjaw are considerably cuter. They're just big fuzzy park bench decorations. :3:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DesperateDan posted:

"Gay? Male? You don't deserve to have kids, you don't have the right because it's icky and makes me queasy and poofs can't raise kids right" - The daily heil, by the same author who was outraged that people with hiv/aids might be receiving medical treatment designed to help prevent further infections.

The bigger issue is that according to the article, he basically had a child with his mother. Does the process by which this came about have any of the usual genetic risk of incest?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

I assume the egg came from a donor.

Ah, yes, she did. Donor eggs sidestep the issue entirely, huh? That's cool. Weird, but cool.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Prince John posted:

Edit: ^^^ There's a common link between all those articles. :D

One of my friends adopted a staffie with a disturbed background from a shelter. He had the same issue, except he got really distressed by it. He would go for a branch and clamp down, growling and whining, and getting more and more worked up into a frenzy the longer he hung there. It was exactly as you say - completely impossible to get him down, we couldn't pry his jaws open, pull him off etc. The only way he came down was if the branch did. Fortunately, after some years of normal ownership he's got over that phase. Apparently it's part of the training process for being a fighting dog - they train them to do that in order to strengthen their jaw muscles. :(

If they win, do they get a bonus year because they have to host it?

Aww, that sucks. At least the dog I walked seemed happy and content with his little hobby, even if it wasn't smart to let him indulge in it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Human Rights Act considerably streamlined the legal process if your rights were being violated. So that was nice.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Prince John posted:

Clarkson is such a lovely human being, apparently he punched the producer because he didn't have dinner ready for him. "He just snapped!"

That's Piers Morgan's old paper. Clarkson is undoubtedly an rear end in a top hat, but it's best to be careful with their coverage.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

I think linking the daily mail should be a punishable offence.

Mirror, not Mail. You make a compelling point about the Daily Mail regardless.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

That's because everything fun was banned. Allow projectiles, high voltage, jamming, and hacking, and have it on a military testing range (they can use one of the spare ones that Top Gear always used).

How do you accommodate the live audience, though? Projectiles seem like a giant, obvious no-no there.

Also, jamming seems like it'd result in more boring fights.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Stottie Kyek posted:

"Things We Won't Say About Race That Are True"? :confused: Though if a former human rights commissioner is presenting it I hope it's just a provocative title and not some dogwhistle UKIP promotion.

quote:

Phillips said he made the programme because he had come to the conclusion that, while much of the equality movement in Britain had changed it for the better, it might also have led to serious and unwanted consequences that could undermine what had been achieved.

Yeah, it's gonna be racist.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zephro posted:

Why would his job be on the line, though?

Because of this, I imagine. This was a very expensive disciplinary action.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Now I need video of Hypnodisc ripping bots apart in eye-watering ways. Ah, nostalgia. :allears:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JFairfax posted:

don't be, it's what he wanted

I'm pretty sure the Alzheimer's wasn't. Sixty-six is way too early to start falling apart like that. :(

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Has anyone ever seen Clarkson out of character, though? When did he drop the mask and start expressing actual decent opinions? Certainly, a lot of the racism and general unpleasantness he's been pilloried for wasn't on-camera in front of a studio audience, and there seems to be little evidence that him taking a swing at a producer for serving him cold food was an elaborate publicity stunt.

Sometimes, people really are the absurd, ghastly caricatures they seem to be. We're on Something Awful. We should know this.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I got 'tinker'. So, potentially racist, but not obviously so.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Like how Bosniaks are culturally Muslim even if they're non-practicing? Or how Dick Dawkins describes himself as a cultural Christian despite being :spergin:ist? Does that make all British people who aren't explicitly other religions 'culturally Christian'?

Has he tried the argument that they say it all the time in rap music? I like that one.

Jews have been considered an ethnoreligious group for a while now. I mean, that was the whole point of the Holocaust and the 'scientific' anti-Semitism that surrounded it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I'm not sure I'd trust Nazis or their pseudoscientific cohort for my definitions of race/ethnicity/culture/religion.

If you're looking for definitions of race and ethnicity that weren't pseudoscientific messes cooked up by racists to further their agendas, I've got some bad news for you.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What does 'white and poor is the new black' even mean?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

Well obviously shittier working coniditions and wages means lower productivity, this is one of those rear end-backwards common assumptions like the private sector being more efficient/cheaper on the state.

I think politics needs some kind of football-style relegation zone where if you keep having hung parliaments eventually you just scrap the main parties and have a do-over.

Is there a correlation between wages and productivity? I mean, it seems like there should be, but I'm instantly leery of applying common sense to economics without some evidence to back it up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

If you dont vote for a communidt party or spoil your ballot with a big hammer and sickle i dont even know what to say to you.

Closest things we've got to communists around here are the SNP, and I'm not a big fan of being raped.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kegluneq posted:

SWP, shirley? I wasn't aware the SNP also had a reputation.

Voting Labour here because I've a feeling the alternatives here will be Tory, UKIP and BNP.

Whoops, typo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Prince John posted:

Political protest or political harrassment?

Should our politicians be allowed to have a family meal without being hounded out of the pub?

Edit: The Conservative candidate, Afzal Amin, has accused the news headlines of selectively taking snippets from over 50 hours of conversations with the EDL as part of his community engagement strategy. He's saying that the march was never supposed to be 'fake', it was supposed to be a catalyst to bring the community together. Will be interesting to see more detail when it comes out.

Because when I think about catalysts for bringing the community together, I think about loving neo-Nazi marches. :psyduck:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Are people who clap really 'shithead jerks'?

It was requested as a way to make speech delivery more pleasant for people with mental-health disorders. Saying 'no, I want to make loud noises at you after you've politely asked me not to' is being an rear end in a top hat, yes.

Saying 'if you can't handle clapping, don't show up' is missing the point. They presumably can handle loud noises like, they just find it unpleasant and are asking their audience to make their lives slightly easier, and if you don't do stuff like this, you run into the obvious Catch-22 of people with disabling problems with social interaction being unable to make their voices heard about their disabling problems with social interaction. I mean, the last thing we need right now is people with mental disabilities getting even more sidelined.

I mean, what's even the point of clapping? It's to show your appreciation of a speaker and the point they're making. It's a favour you're granting them. If they don't like you clapping at them, why do it?

The uproar ITT about a conference asking their audience to do something weird but polite and harmless for their speakers is baffling.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Look, guys, I literally just had to deal with trying to talk a family member out of suicide because he was expecting an autism diagnosis and is having difficulty reconciling himself to the fact that he probably has severe mental impairments reducing the chances of him ever having much of a social life (or a life in general, for that matter). So if you'll pardon me, I'm a little less charitable than I usually would be to a couple of pages of 'lol stupid over-sensitive mentally-ill people should just get over it'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fluo posted:

Have you ever been on suicide watch

Past three months, yes. Generalised anxiety disorder can be a hell of a thing, especially when there's probably something more fundametal backing it up.

It's loving exhausting. :smith:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

EvilGenius posted:

They want to be careful there. You can't turn the public against full time carers by painting them as scroungers.

When I saw this, I thought I'd want to quote it for use in a few years' time, but once that particular media campaign's over, being smug on an Internet forum will be the last thing on my list. :smithicide:

Feckless poors exploiting their disabled relatives to get that sweet, sweet government money. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Prince John posted:

Nom nom. Are foxes actually edible?

Yes, but not very tasty.

Ah, the wonders of the Internet.

• Locked thread