Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

Instead of using Parliament to get rid of Trident as something that is no longer necessary nor fit for purpose, can't we do it the other way around?

Now you get it! Nukes are ace. Give are boys nuclear tipped bullets so little nukes go off where ever they see conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Impressive: Trident ballistic nuclear missiles. Not impressive: The Scottish economy.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

I don't think Miliband is ruthless enough to win a debate against a tub of lard

Dude's gonna be a dark horse. We'll be invading Argentina in August in the name of full colonial expansion. America will object but thats when WHAM, Washington DC gets hit by our entire stock of Trident missiles. Miliband will appear on TV to make a quip about "Return to sender" or something. No one laughs, everyone cries. Respect is total. There is only Miliband.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Not sure what good Alex Salmond could do tbh. UK politics is officially dead if Con-Lab happens. What use are good politicians in such a post-farcical universe? All the good points would drown in the wave of banally evil
shite.

On the other hand this seems like scaremongering from Cooholin/Fucktarded Idiot retard Hyena types. I get the impression the Tories are getting desperate and this is wholly their idea. This recent campaign by Labour against the SNP is a bit misguided but it's important to note that its saying "Don't vote SNP because TORIES!!!!!". The Tories are still the main foe in the attack. They're not saying the SNP is bad, just that it's a "wasted vote. This is bullshit but that's another issue. They just want to maximize their seats. This is just the surface level circus politics. A labour-SNP coalition is still more likely than Con-Lab.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 7, 2015

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Welp. I guess I might see if i'm right or wrong sooner than expected.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Kegluneq posted:

This is a somewhat stupid article because Top Gear already covers those cars. I'm pretty sure Clarkson even reviewed the BMW i8 and loved it (up until he discovered it had a puny tank and surprisingly rubbish fuel economy). A lot of the criticism seems to be coming from people who haven't actually watched it and assume it's getting used as a mouthpiece for global warming denial or something when it basically isn't. Even when Jeremy does fart out Tory talking points it's done in the clearly understood context that he is an oaf.

The 'joke' of Top Gear is that the presenters are all pretty obviously stupid, annoying people irl as well as on the show, but are also self-aware enough to realise they are overgrown manchildren. Hence the whole 'ambitious but rubbish' schtick and it actually being very funny when their carboats sink or their converted estate cars break down in the desert. Character actors aren't going to easily build that chemistry in a magazine show format, where they have to wear multiple hats.

Scrapheap Challenge and Robot Wars just remind me of Red Dwarf and make me sad. At least the Cat is having fun in the Caribbean now.

As people have already stated but it bares repeating: The giant following top gear has is not because people find it "funny". It's because they find Clarksons "blokey" non-pc ways to be aspirational. He "tells it like it is" which is code for "insults a working class mexican who's life is already pretty lovely" because being a mean jerk is fun and makes you alpha.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Malcolm XML posted:

does anyone other than this thread take jeremy clarkson at face value

Every "bloke" in England?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

LOL

loving hell.

a teacher told you to go and sit in the girl's changing room and you passed up that opportunity and dobbed them in.

shocking behaviour.

That would be terrifying for all but the most alpha of 12 year olds.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Like most of the history of the Empire and a lot of modern day history of major world powers, you don't get anywhere by fighting people who can actually put up resistance.

Well in this case they kinda threw themselves under the bus. Or got someone else to do it? Britain was just keeping its foot firmly on the accelerator and refused to swerve.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Well Nicola, all those seats Scottish Labour no longer control certainly doesn't help keep the Tories away. That's politics!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Speaking of BT stuff I have a very specific question. I'm on an direct line to the exchange and apparently this fucks with my access to superfast broadband because I don't connect to a cabinet. They are extremely vague whether or not i'll ever get it. Anyone else had this problem and had BT finally do something?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mfcrocker posted:

I'm in the same situation and having the same experience. We're both hosed.

This isn't even rural I live in central Bristol :ohdear:

Oh yeah i'm right in the middle of a large town in Wales. Basically if you live too close to the exchange you get good ADSL but you'll never get superfast.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 19, 2015

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
If you hold people to be your enemies then you should fully commit. If you do not desire the destruction of those who you oppose then why bother playing? Just settle down and watch eastenders or something.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Zephro posted:

In other news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32031473

As far as we can guess the last time this happened was 1960.

Didn't economists who know what they're talking about say that Britain would be stuck with low interest rates for years. And that it's the only mechanism keeping our economy going? Yet every month the papers act shocked that interest rates aren't moving and now seem to be falling. But I have no clue about economics.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

What the hell is going on in your country that people are saying deflation is a good thing?

5 years of being told that not spending money on public services is a good thing because the country needs to get "in the black". We're a corporation you see.

The average voter, when not being bear baited into being a rabid racist, is confused as gently caress.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Fans posted:

Hah! See it's funny because you're mocking people who've had traumatic experiences with rape or abuse and don't want to be reminded of them. You card you.

If they are actually so fragile they should get off the internet and into therapy. Not go into places full of people who may not care or simply do not know about whatever triggers and foolishly attempting to garner sympathy from strangers. As with all things you either win or lose. A lot of people put effort into losing. It's a real shame.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The issue is that anyone with such triggers is doomed. You can accuse others of being "jerks" all day long but these people either solve their issues or have a terrible life.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Coohoolin posted:

A really dumb thing about the whole NUS "jazzhands" issue is the NUS actually calling them loving jazzhands. Conferences and political groups have been using hand signals to facilitate discussion without interruptions for ages now, even before Occupy (despite the picture):

It works really well, especially in small groups, so now we can thank NUS for making yet another good lefty idea and student practice look silly. What the gently caress is wrong with them.

No one that uses things like this will ever achieve anything. A battle between the forces of evil who have no morals vs people who can't cope with clapping.

Good loving luck.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Which one is going to kick more wogs out and make children die? Remember when the UK was a force to be reckoned with? Notice how back then more children died? Make the children dead Cameron. Make them dead.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

EvilGenius posted:

Tabloids are utter filth this morning. People with depression = 'mad men' who shouldn't be able to get jobs (plane crash co-pilot had history of depression).

I'm writing to IPSO, who are of course a joke, but my hope is they get inundated and that becomes a story.

Not a word on Cameron or Millibands performance last night of course, cos that would have required Cameron to have done well.

I've noticed depression slowly becoming something to mock people over even before this. The mechanism that makes it ok appears to be deciding the person is somehow terrible and that's why they are depressed. Rather than the reality that depression has warped their life.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Was Paxman a known poo poo or is he a new addition to the book of terrible people?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

TinTower posted:

Stagecoach is run by a notorious homophobe who once spent a million pounds in a failed attempt to keep Section 28 on the books, so…

In other news, vote labour.

The alternative is don't and lose the NHS.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Invite Tory 2 to court and then imprison him!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Coohoolin posted:

Estonia's an odd one- if you look up their economy there's a lot of red flags for neoliberalism, but the people (from my experience only) seem very progressively minded, the universities are appreciated, buses are free, housing doesn't seem to be an issue (a friend of mine moved back after finishing her photography course in college and lives in a two-floor house with her boyfriend- she's a freelance photographer and he runs a bar with his mates, that would not work over here) and as far as I can tell everyone has a nice amount of expendable income. I'm actually seriously considering doing my postgrad in Tallinn.

This remains true, however:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m71PoAzh0M

Sounds lovely. Don't come back.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
While British food is terrible it's terrible compared to Mediterranean and Asian cuisine. It is not terrible compared to the loving poo poo show that is American food. It's just the worst bits of all the cultures mixed together. A bit like their society. A hoo hoo hoo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
So how many of you retards are going to protest vote in what is a very important election? Between you lot and the SNP I can't wait for the self fulfilling prophecy of Torygeddon to begin in full.

• Locked thread