Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Apparently Matt Harvey has developed a curveball out of nowhere.

quote:

“I always threw sliders, and I don’t know where this curveball came from,” he said. “It’s nice having that develop. I don’t know if I figured something out in my mechanics or if it just magically appeared, but it’s nice having that.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The Yankees fired one of the morons tweeting rape "jokes" at Schilling.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Speaking of cancer, Jeff McKnight died.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Jeterian levels of poise and clubhouse leadership right here folks!

http://justmets.mlblogs.com/2015/03/03/david-wright-scolded-noah-syndergaard-for-absence-during-intrasquad-gam/

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

lol

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/98069/anti-mets-ownership-billboard-rises?utm_source

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Nothing says central Connecticut like an African rodent.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

Is replacing chop shops with a mall really their worst crime?

On a scale of 1 to Frank McCourt, how bad are they?

Well, the whole being complicit in a ponzi scheme and draining the MLB team to prop up their other business/personal lifestyle probably is worse...but yeah thats a weird thing to single out.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Weren't the Dodgers being carved up on paper with like the ticketing and parking being split off into their own separate legal entities as part of McCourts financial shell game? I think there was a real fear that in the process of the divorce the former Mrs. McCourt could wind up with control of the Dodgers parking lots or something like that.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Tony Phillips posted:

Jesus "BSOHL" Montero - 2 for 2 on the day with no errors while playing first.

M's win the trade again!

Rube Baker: Wow, Willie's really got some power.
Lou Brown: Off a guy who'll be bagging groceries in a couple of weeks!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Happy Harvey Day everybody!

1pm on SNY!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

David Lennon posted:

Harvey 3 Ks in 2 perfect innings. Sitting 96-98. Hit 99 on scouts gun three times in 2nd inning. #mets

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

FIRE UP THE GIF

You thought those Gee for Profar rumors last week were silly then...

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Craptacular is posting in mid season form. Going by the eye test I'd say hes in the best posting shape of his life.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

The Mets have one lefty reliever on the roster, Josh Edgin.

MRI Tuesday. "Elbow discomfort".

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

They have no genitals!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Harvey is pitching at the Marlins today.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Who could ever forget this classic spring training moment?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Sandy Alderson has a book coming out.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/media/2015/03/8563893/new-sandy-alderson-book-offers-revealing-view-madoff-impacted-mets

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

MLB Gameday seems to be telling me he hasn't thrown a ball yet, is that right?

Games been on almost an hour. He's dealing today.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

And we're still waiting on word for Wheelers MRI.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Eh, more opportunity for Matz, Syndergaard, Montero, etc. Gee out of the bullpen I guess.

Not the end of the world.

I mean, if you honestly thought this was the Mets year then I guess this puts a fork in it, but as long as the Wilpons own the team and the front office is not allowed the resources to make the moves to push them over the top it doesn't really change much.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 16, 2015

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Imagine they sacked up and sent Wheeler and a few of the big prospects to Colorado for Tulo back in December.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Sorry, enlightened fans know every player sucks. It's low info/white noise posters that are the problem with their not understanding how bad and dumb every player is.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

New video board looks pretty good.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Adam Rubin read the Sandy Alderson book so you don't have too.

quote:

• Amid reports manager Terry Collins' job was safe last August, Collins' chance of returning actually was 51 percent, according to Alderson, who told Kettmann at the time: "Frankly, for me, that percentage has been eroding."

Alderson was upset about a drop in walks.

"We can't just throw up our hands and say, 'We're not being selective at the plate anymore, so much for that,'" Alderson said.

A meeting with hitters saved Collins' job.

• Alderson vocally expresses frustration during games. Regarding reliever Gonzalez Germen, Alderson blurted: "How do you go on the DL with an abscess?"

• Kettmann writes that Alderson "accepted a nudge" from commissioner Bud Selig to take the Mets' job. "Fred Wilpon is an extremely close friend, and I told him, 'You'll never do better than Sandy Alderson,'" Selig said.

• Alderson was naive about the impact of Bernard Madoff's Ponzi scheme. "Madoff wasn't even a topic of conversation in my interview for the Mets job," Alderson said. "I didn't raise it. Maybe I should have. The bottom line is, I would have taken the job anyway. It just added to the challenge."

• Alderson approached Peter Greenberg, the agent for Jose Reyes, in June of Reyes' walk year, but the GM was rebuffed in extension talks. Alderson never made an official offer that winter, but informally indicated the Mets genuinely were prepared to bid $100 million.

"The sad thing is if we sign Jose, we're just maintaining the status quo. We're not improving the team," Alderson told Kettmann at the time.

• The Mets focused on the Brewers, Phillies, Red Sox, Rangers and Giants in trade talks involving Carlos Beltran in July 2011. Beltran initially only would consider Milwaukee and Philly.

Alderson labeled it a "baited hook" that Beltran flew with Giants personnel to the All-Star Game that year, because the publicity increased pressure on Giants GM Brian Sabean.

The Mets initially had insisted on Gary Brown, Brandon Belt or Zack Wheeler for Beltran. Belt was preferred.

During a lull in Mets-Giants talks, Alderson presumed Sabean was talking to another team. So Alderson pretended to be interested in Hunter Pence. He called Astros GM Ed Wade to see if Pence was available. Told Pence likely would go untraded, Alderson concluded Sabean lacked leverage.

Boston offered Chih-Hsien Chiang and Alex Wilson, plus one from a list of seven players, for Beltran.

Texas and the Mets agreed on Joe Wieland and Robbie Ross, but Alderson wanted a third player. Alderson asked for Mike Olt or Rougned Odor. Alderson indicated inclusion of either would seal the deal. The Rangers balked. Texas was surprised by Beltran's trade to San Francisco because the Rangers thought they had a deal with Alderson involving Wieland, Ross and a different third player.

• The Orioles "toyed" with the idea of giving up heralded Dylan Bundy for R.A. Dickey before the knuckleballer went to Toronto.

The Mets wanted Cody Buckel from Texas, which the Rangers wouldn't do, and which Alderson admits would have been a bust.

• Ruben Tejada is one of the few criticized. "Gradually you come to the conclusion that Tejada is just a placeholder," Alderson said. "He's not a long-term guy for us."

• Alderson wanted to sign Robinson Cano. Alderson told one of Cano's agents: "Anything over $200 million, we're not there." When the agent didn't then dismiss the Mets, "that led me to believe something less than $200 million was feasible," Alderson said.

• Alderson explained the "90 wins" hullabaloo from last spring training to Kettmann as sensationalism. Alderson had googled "winning culture" and read articles before spring training.

Alderson then said to staff: "We shouldn't just try to be better. Let's have the mind-set that we're going to go out and win 90 games. When we wake up and look in the mirror, let's make our goal to play like we're trying to win 90 games."

Regarding the tabloid reaction after the comment leaked, Alderson said: "It was misleading. ... It was really a challenge to change the mind-set."

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

I'm guessing in all that talk about fleecing Sabean, Sandy forgot all about the part where he traded Angel Pagan for Andres Torres a few weeks later.

He was just clearing room for Juan Lagares! That's it!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

He's your Matt Harvey JO material for the week.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/03/matt-harvey-mets-superstar.html

quote:

Harvey is a tactile person. He hugs, he backslaps, he makes direct eye contact. In the Mets’ locker room one morning, he walks up behind a seated Dillon Gee, reaches over Gee’s shoulders, and playfully rubs the other pitcher’s pecs. Later Harvey nibbles on Jacob deGrom’s shoulder.

BRB, working on my Harvey/deGrom slashfic.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Tanaka doesn't look the same as when I saw him last May.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

What looks different to you?

I dunno, eye test. Fastball didn't seem to have as much life and he was throwing low 90s, I thought he was more a mid 90s guy. I know it's spring training, but it also seemed like every ball the Mets got on top of they hit the poo poo out of.

I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to explain to me why I'm wrong.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I honestly don't get why they don't do this every-loving-time. It's like, hey...free base hit!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

How chewed up is that outfield going to be?

This is from a few weeks ago.

This was yesterday.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 26, 2015

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

So how will all this construction affect Wrigley? Like will it be the PCL North and just dingers paradise?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I absolutely despise the service time gently caress gently caress games the Mets play so anything or anybody that is working to end those stupid rules have my vote.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Abel Wingnut posted:

the worst was the ny media flipping out on lastings milledge for high-fiving a bunch of fans after a walk off. they really, really, really took offense to that for some reason.

That owned and its a shame Lastings wound up busting.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

John Niese "shoulder discomfort"

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Not a photoshop.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

That wasn't baseball.

Where the hell is this billboard? That's an official state vehicle inspection station? Mr. Met graphic rules.

ROOSEVELT AVENUE NL 150F E OF WILLETS POINT BOULEVARD

It's actually a little past the stadium and the parking lots, not a lot of people will see it.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/40%C2%B045%2721.7%22N+73%C2%B050%2725.7%22W/@40.75602,-73.84047,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

There's ZERO reason any fan would go past 126th street, ever. There's no parking down there and the vast majority of people come to the stadium from the West or North West.

This is looking towards the stadium and the sign. So not only is it PAST the stadium it's facing the wrong way in a sense.

e: The same company has a sign that you can see from the Van Wyck heading towards the stadium, a much much more heavily trafficked route and very close to the stadium itself. Instead these bozos bought a sign on a surface street that gets minimal traffic. Better off saving their pennies for the better location.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 28, 2015

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

These Mets billboard guys are loving savants.

quote:

Adam Rubin ✔ @AdamRubinESPN
PR tip: If you want reporter to write about your cause, don't introduce yourself by calling reporter a coward for not yet addressing subject

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Yeah but off some no name minor leau...oh. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

That the dude who used to be on the Rays?

• Locked thread