Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Let's talk about the group that some people are saying are the Wu Tang Clan of the current generation.

Earl Sweatshirts flow is SICK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugrok
Dec 30, 2009
Hello !

Yeah, he is great indeed, they all are, Tyler the Creator has some good stuff out as well. But i would not go as far as to make them "Wu Tang 2.0", because i don't feel the same vibe in the instrumentals they use. I mean, early Wu Tang's samples by RZA just make you want to go out and destroy everything ; Odd Future's stuff is very well produced, very "pop", with a touch of dark electro that is great but just too trendy for my taste. They sound too much like kids who understood what music to do to have success, and not enough like desperate sick motherfuckers who are out to destroy all mankind. Even if some lyrics are really interesting and quite hard.

Still, they are refreshing in the hip hop landscape and will be interesting to follow.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ChocNitty posted:

Let's talk about the group that some people are saying are the Wu Tang Clan of the current generation.

Earl Sweatshirts flow is SICK.

Wow, thanks for this retro post from 2011, op. Really takes me back.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

little munchkin posted:

Wow, thanks for this retro post from 2011, op. Really takes me back.

this is entirely uncalled for. odd future changed the game and are still pushing the boundaries of rap music while the same six rappers churn out the same rear end mixtapes every year. you can pretend you don't see it but you can't deny how fresh these kids are.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Word up to all my fellow waking paradoxes. Odd Future and Adult Swim on the Cartoon Network are the reason I still have cable: to stay current on how Hodgy, Tyler, Spanky, Shemp and the gang continue changing the face of hip-hop.

GOLF WANG

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
code:
K B F
I U U
L R C
L N K

P S S
E H C
O I H
P T O
L   O
E   L

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
it'll be funny when you all turn 24.

DonnieBravo
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I loved OF's stuff in 2011 and 2012, when Mike G released Ali and Mellowhype released Blackendwhite. All of them were making great music. But then Mike G got lazy and barely released poo poo for 3 years, and the music he did release was not great. His rapping switched to uninteresting, slow mumble double tracked over itself. Probably the best post-Ali song was Chanel from Award Tour EP. He switches up his flow and seems excited to be rapping.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12Nhcc61hBI

At least Domo has gotten better and better with every release. I'm always excited to see more Domo. Although he was great even on his first release Rolling Papers. Domier is a classic boast track, great flow and interesting rhymes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk99TK9GTIg
Under the Influence 1 and 2 are fantastic as well. No Idols I'm not in to too much, Alchemist's beats are very static and very repetitive. Elimination Chamber is a great song though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to1qOl_WY2E

Vince Staples is one of the best things to come from OF for sure. I know he was never officially part of OF, although it seems like he was hanging out with Earl and Mike G a lot and occasionally popping up on these early tapes. Every time he has a verse he takes over the track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re-iKOvz8LI. Even if you have a problem with the content, for 1 of his first verses recorded it's astonishing, He really has improved dramatically since then, for sure Vince is going to go a long way. Stolen Youth EP is one of my favourites, Mac Miller makes all the beats as Larry Fisherman and raps on a few tracks, but Vince is definitely the star of the show not matter who else features. The outro to this tape is one of the Greatest Of A Time rap outros https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9GkrK-_OZo (the GOAT intro is XXX by Danny Brown). Vinces most recent EP is exciting. Crazy production, awesome raps, and more than anything Vince just sounds hungry.

edit: missed some links

DonnieBravo fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 2, 2015

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

awesome post. this should have been the OP. it does a lot to silence childish haters. speaking of which...

rear end Catchcum posted:

it'll be funny when you all turn 24.

be a dick somewhere else fam this is unnecessary.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
As someone fairly new to OF, can I get a quick run down of Tyler's various personas?

Who came first, Tyler or Wolf? Is Tyler the Creator the same person as Tyler Okonma?

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

twice burned ice posted:

As someone fairly new to OF, can I get a quick run down of Tyler's various personas?

Who came first, Tyler or Wolf? Is Tyler the Creator the same person as Tyler Okonma?

It's fairly simple. Tyler is the artist, and 'Wolf Haley' is his rapping alter-ego and a character in a number of his songs- think how Ghostface uses his Tony Starks persona. He also used to go by the name 'Ace Creator' in OF's early days but I think has largely retired the moniker now, IIRC that was the name he used when acting as a producer rather than MC.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
My favorite Tyler persona is "Earl Sweatshirt" and the alternate reality game (ARG) they did to "free" him from Tyler's twisted psyche.

Tyler, the Creator (full rapper name) is on another level!

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
goblin was cool, but eh...

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I'm a big hip hop and rap fan, mostly rap and less hip hop, but I love these guys. I am a little concerned with all the rape stuff in their lyrics though...I mean it's cool if you're gonna rape people (the game is the game after all) but I wish they'd keep it on the DL like Mystikal. Thoughts?

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
It's not a big deal because it's clearly coming from a place of fantasy and catharsis. The tiresome bleating of internet SJWs doesn't make it wrong or shameful to have violent fantasies. I don't think it's wise for us to start coming at young black men for what amounts to harmless thoughtcrimes. Just another instance of the white-centric PC police trying to tell black men what they can think and feel.

Mystikal is Mystikal and he served his time as required by law so he's all good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Should use this thread to talk about the new Earl album while the rap thread are still slapfighting over Kendrick

Grief's pretty cool: https://soundcloud.com/andres-rojas-179/04-grief

Album's out next week

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
my fortress is fortified

money in my pockets like im fourty five

hajii beats recorded live

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Honestly it's just D12 again, who gives a gently caress?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

They scare 30-year-olds just like Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg scared my parents, so there's value in that irony.

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED

The Singing Chav posted:

Yeh.. gotta keep it updated so the kids can be fascinated

nonazis
Oct 13, 2014

The ants. They're everywhere, man. Big fuckers.

The Singing Chav posted:

I dunno, they're something dark and brooding about Odd Future that D12 never had. It's almost like horror rap or something (especially Tyler the Creator's solo poo poo. That is loving dark).

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
i don't like poo poo is pretty good

cherry bomb is mixed really horribly but it seems like it could've been good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Mutation posted:

i don't like poo poo is pretty good

cherry bomb is mixed really horribly but it seems like it could've been good

I like the back half of cherry bomb a bunch. First half is mixed so terribly I can't stand it.

Smuckers is my favorite track. The Kanye and Wayne features weregreat

• Locked thread