Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

And that's okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

JakeP posted:

You had slaves?

had/have slaves

only a couple dozen, right now they are all white people though

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ethanol posted:

had/have slaves

only a couple dozen, right now they are all white people though

Slavery is wrong, but that's just my opinion

red polo shirts
Jan 16, 2015

A misanthrope posted:

if anyone needs me ill just be over here getting my face mulched by a 1,000-pound security bot working on behalf of the glorious Job Creators

Your face will be mulched in justice, not hatred.

It is a small step towards peace.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

ethanol posted:

you're right, I'm totally done feeling bad about slavery. such a weight off my mind, thank you

I dunno why you would feel personally responsible for slavery. poo poo. There are more modern grievances that minorities can cite that you could beat yourself up on because chances are your parents and maybe grandparents benefitted from them (redlining is one of them).

Like. If you actually wanted to he racially progressive you wouldn't go all white guilt about stuff (because it helps no one and is all boo-hoo, poor white me for being white and privileged) and just accept that society is set up to benefit whites to the detriment of nonwhites, that this prolly taints every thought and interaction you have with nonwhites, then you go about watching yourself for when you inevitably so or do something racist and accept the reproach you get from minorities seeking to point out 'hey that's racist' rather than getting all butthurt about how you could never be racist because you remember that society is set up to lead you to racist conclusions. :shrug:

But that requires too much introspection for most and so racism tends to get a pass

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

nutranurse posted:

I dunno why you would feel personally responsible for slavery. poo poo. There are more modern grievances that minorities can cite that you could beat yourself up on because chances are your parents and maybe grandparents benefitted from them (redlining is one of them).

well I feel a little bad but tbh I feel a lot worse when i forget to shovel the snow before it gets all wet and heavy

Oxwalt
Aug 10, 2013

by Ralp

A misanthrope posted:

fcuk the polece

That ball was a delivery system for Willy Pete and 5 of those riot police died you're edgy buddy

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

nutranurse posted:

Like. If you actually wanted to he racially progressive you wouldn't go all white guilt about stuff (because it helps no one and is all boo-hoo, poor white me for being white and privileged) and just accept that society is set up to benefit whites to the detriment of nonwhites, that this prolly taints every thought and interaction you have with nonwhites, then you go about watching yourself for when you inevitably so or do something racist and accept the reproach you get from minorities seeking to point out 'hey that's racist' rather than getting all butthurt about how you could never be racist because you remember that society is set up to lead you to racist conclusions. :shrug:

But that requires too much introspection for most and so racism tends to get a pass

*all white people transcend their racism and convert into beings of pure energy on reading Nutranurse's post*

Ball of blinding light (with innocent, childlike voice): Thank you for freeing us, Nutranurse.

*Ascends into sky*

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Applewhite posted:

*all white people transcend their racism and convert into beings of pure energy on reading Nutranurse's post*

Ball of blinding light (with innocent, childlike voice): Thank you for freeing us, Nutranurse.

*Ascends into sky*

wow that actually works

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Applewhite posted:

*Ascends into sky*

were it only that easy b/c then we could kill 2 birds with one stone by getting rid of whitey and fossil fuels

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I want the police to stomp on me like grapes and pour me in a cask like a fine wine

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I want the police to glaze doughnuts with my entrails

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Applewhite posted:

*Ascends into sky*

keep going I'm almost there

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I want the police to murder me with robots

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

a large trout posted:

keep going I'm almost there
_________________/

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I want the police to break my body and limbs on a medieval wheel to form a human swastika

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

:gizz:

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Drunk Nerds posted:

Your cherrypicking examples only help you to feel smug, they dont actually relate to the issue at hand: mentally ill need treatment and often don't realize they are starting a "ruckus" until they get beat dead. The issue is people who are too mentally i to do the thinga you suggest will keep all people out of trouble with the law.

Applying your own personal experience to every other person is a horribly immature and narrow way to go through life.

Id like to see him walk up to all the black people in his office looking like a total douche nozzle asking them about being black around police.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 250 days!)

Jst0rm posted:

Id like to see him walk up to all the black people in his office looking like a total douche nozzle asking them about being black around police.

like he even knows their names

bitch please

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
It kind of sucks that the police have taken a pretty hard stance that it's better to kill someone rather than potentially risk their life and the public just sort of accepts this. Like it seems almost painfully obvious that people given extra authority and power in order to serve and protect everyone should be expected to risk their life in order to prevent unnecessary death if push comes to shove but here we are and "i thought he had a weapon or might try to obtain one" is literally all it takes to warrant killing someone. Like if there's even a 10% chance an officer might die in an encounter it's legal for them to kill everyone involved and that seems rear end backwards in term of priorities.

It's not even a statistically dangerous job, like they can afford to start losing a lot more officers before they even start making top 10 of dangerous jobs in america.

bonvivant
Oct 1, 2014

I may be racist, transphobic, an antisemite and a misogynist, but I project like an angel ;)
reminder that privately owned firearms are necessary for community defense against cops. why, just look at how the black panthers fended off what amounted to a ragtag group of klan bullies masquerading as legitimate state defenders decades ago and--

oh

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

That thing is still probably vulnerable to an IED.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

hemophilia posted:

That thing is still probably vulnerable to an IED.
actually is quite vulnerable to a DUI

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

ArbitraryC posted:

It kind of sucks that the police have taken a pretty hard stance that it's better to kill someone rather than potentially risk their life and the public just sort of accepts this. Like it seems almost painfully obvious that people given extra authority and power in order to serve and protect everyone should be expected to risk their life in order to prevent unnecessary death if push comes to shove but here we are and "i thought he had a weapon or might try to obtain one" is literally all it takes to warrant killing someone. Like if there's even a 10% chance an officer might die in an encounter it's legal for them to kill everyone involved and that seems rear end backwards in term of priorities.

It's not even a statistically dangerous job, like they can afford to start losing a lot more officers before they even start making top 10 of dangerous jobs in america.

yeah its pretty hosed up. When you mix up the type of brain that wants to police others with the ability to drop people with no repercussions you end up with some violent people. Criminal justice majors in college were loving idiots. I cant even imagine what these police forces around the country look like with this stupidity top down.

bonvivant
Oct 1, 2014

I may be racist, transphobic, an antisemite and a misogynist, but I project like an angel ;)
anyway forget coppers, something I don't even have to worry about as a white middle class male, what if teh zombie apolocalypse is just around the corner??

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Jst0rm posted:

lol I would also like to see this. and also the only black folks he knows are the ones he sees at "the office".

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

I AINT DYIN IN NO GHETTO

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

JiveHonky posted:

lol I would also like to see this. and also the only black folks he knows are the ones he sees at "the office".

"hey bro, can I ask you a question? I know I yelled at you last week for mopping my feet but I wanted to see if you are one of the black people who have never been in a bad confrontation with the police. You see I believe that 200 years of systemic racism hasn't had a single effect on you and that you all can succeed if you only acted white."

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

JiveHonky posted:

Those are the only ones he talks to. Anyone other black person might try to mug him or have sex with his fat white wife while he's forced to watch.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
it's the type of awkward yet humorous situation you might see on a ricky gervaise or curb your enthusiasm type show.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Aren't there stricter rules of engagement for soldiers literally at war? Like all the cases where a cop shot a guy reaching for his cellphone or id or whatever, I just don't see how "well he might have been going for a gun" is a reasonable defense. Unless you are currently being shot at or can at the very least identify the weapon the suspect is holding you should not as an officer be legally allowed to shoot. That an officer can kill people over a maybe is incredibly hosed up.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
It seems like people who are actually trained to kill people for a living are better at making judgment calls. :monocle:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

It seems like people who are actually trained to kill people for a living are better at making judgment calls. :monocle:

a lot of cops are ex military tho, they prefer it in a lot of places

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Please post more pictures of muscular police officers in soldier armor defending our rights and freedoms from domestic terrorism

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

A State Patrol trooper was pinned in his car, dazed and bleeding profusely from a neck injury after a rollover accident, but the first people who stopped by the side of the road didn’t help.

Instead, two motorcyclists, who were part of a group the trooper had been chasing before he crashed, clapped and laughed at him Tuesday evening on Interstate 5 in Tukwila, the State Patrol says.

“Seeing a cop down was hysterical to them. They thought it was the funniest thing they ever saw,” said Trooper Cliff Pratt, State Patrol spokesman. “They didn’t know whether he was going to live or die and they didn’t care. That’s what makes it so hard to swallow.”

bonvivant
Oct 1, 2014

Blue Train posted:

A State Patrol trooper was pinned in his car, dazed and bleeding profusely from a neck injury after a rollover accident, but the first people who stopped by the side of the road didn’t help.

Instead, two motorcyclists, who were part of a group the trooper had been chasing before he crashed, clapped and laughed at him Tuesday evening on Interstate 5 in Tukwila, the State Patrol says.

“Seeing a cop down was hysterical to them. They thought it was the funniest thing they ever saw,” said Trooper Cliff Pratt, State Patrol spokesman. “They didn’t know whether he was going to live or die and they didn’t care. That’s what makes it so hard to swallow.”

lol

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Blue Train posted:

Rude!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

it's okay because they got the black cop to do it

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Blue Train posted:

this owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Jst0rm posted:

"hey bro, can I ask you a question? I know I yelled at you last week for mopping my feet but I wanted to see if you are one of the black people who have never been in a bad confrontation with the police. You see I believe that 200 years of systemic racism hasn't had a single effect on you and that you all can succeed if you only acted white."

The conflation of success with "acting white" is, IMO, one of the most common examples of systemic racism because it essentially alienates Black behavior from success and enforces the subliminal assumption that a Black person cannot be both loyal to his roots and successful at the same time.
The trappings of success: fashion, education, modes of speech, etc... are all branded as "white" things, and Black people who adopt them are seen as somehow inauthentic by both whites and other Blacks.
That is something that needs to change if minorities are to move up in our society. Instead of chiding a Black person for "acting white," in order to get ahead, you should stop and ask yourself why you assume that he must somehow act contrary to his own success in order to "act Black."

• Locked thread