Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Leave her alone, nowadays the only positive selection pressure on the evolution of the species is the regular deaths of anti-science idiots.

From time to time the tree of humanity must be watered with the blood of morons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

To be fair, when wealthy people do the same thing they clog up the medical system with unnecessary blood tests and MRIs and CT scans. I've seen it firsthand.

Except chiropractors don't practice medicine.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

No. 6 posted:

Except chiropractors don't practice medicine.

That's my point, it doesn't make people who have actual problems have to schedule their appointments a month away cause worried parents read a thing on the internet and demanded every test available. Doctors refuse these things all the time because every unnecessary treatment is one more accusation of fraud, so the parent just takes the kid somewhere else and then brings them back.

Lawrence Gilchrist fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 5, 2015

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Maybe after visiting a chiropractor, getting an MRI isn't a bad idea.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Why the gently caress does a site named sciencebasedmedicine even need to exist

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

buttcrackmenace posted:

Why the gently caress does a site named sciencebasedmedicine even need to exist

food babe, dr oz, anti-vaxxers, america

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I don't know what "food babe" means and I was about to google it and then realized that that would be loving stupid. let me keep what innocence I have left. :smith:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Gilok posted:

I don't know what "food babe" means and I was about to google it and then realized that that would be loving stupid. let me keep what innocence I have left. :smith:

she's a nutty anti-gmo activist

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

EnderWiggin posted:

If she's a rational person who isn't too lazy to think then maybe she could be convinced to read some science and research before she does it.

If she's an irrational person then you might be able to dissuade her by linking her to some scare stories.

Chances are her though brain will switch off the moment you present anything that runs contrary to her beliefs. In which case there's not much you can do about it.

From waaaay back, but this is pretty much all that needs to be said!

Doctors are now coming out and telling people to stop bombarding anti-vaxxers and alternative health nutters with facts, science and reason because it has the exact opposite effect. The more proven facts you tell these people, the more convinced that they are right and big pharma is out to get them. You literally cannot reason with these people, and if a chiropractor took his/her thumb and pressed down on the baby's soft spot until they damaged the brain enough to become retarded, the parent (having witnessed this) will instead blame gluten or chemtrails instead of their alternative medicine. Hell, there are people who willingly die of cancer, and will take a loving root-juice smoothie every day, and watch themselves waste away, and will still sing the praises of their witch-doctor on their deathbed.

These people cannot be reasoned with.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

When I was younger my dad would always send me to a chiropractor whenever we got into an accident, and even at the time I thought it was dumb but it feels pretty good right at the moment since they crack the nitrogen out of joints you can't do yourself, so I guess they're cool if you aren't paying for them.

Although I don't get how people think that a popping sound in your body= I'M CURED

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Butyraceous posted:

When I was younger my dad would always send me to a chiropractor whenever we got into an accident, and even at the time I thought it was dumb but it feels pretty good right at the moment since they crack the nitrogen out of joints you can't do yourself, so I guess they're cool if you aren't paying for them.

Although I don't get how people think that a popping sound in your body= I'M CURED

How often was your dad ramming into stuff?

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
they don't make headboards like they used to

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

people refuse to believe me when i tell them chiropracty is a pseudoscience. every time i bring it up every single person in the room has an anecdote about how it's cheap and helpful etc etc. last time i argued about this iw as also told microwaves destroy the nutrients in food

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Blistex posted:

From waaaay back, but this is pretty much all that needs to be said!

Doctors are now coming out and telling people to stop bombarding anti-vaxxers and alternative health nutters with facts, science and reason because it has the exact opposite effect. The more proven facts you tell these people, the more convinced that they are right and big pharma is out to get them. You literally cannot reason with these people, and if a chiropractor took his/her thumb and pressed down on the baby's soft spot until they damaged the brain enough to become retarded, the parent (having witnessed this) will instead blame gluten or chemtrails instead of their alternative medicine. Hell, there are people who willingly die of cancer, and will take a loving root-juice smoothie every day, and watch themselves waste away, and will still sing the praises of their witch-doctor on their deathbed.

These people cannot be reasoned with.

A native family in Ontario had a kid with leukemia and was adamant that the chemo was against their traditional native beliefs and wanted to put the kid into a holistic, alternative medicine type place in Florida. CPS didn't fight them but the hospital where the kid was getting treatment did.

The judge (the only First Nations judge on the bench in Ontario) ruled that they had a constitutional right to this, and allowed the kid to get pulled out and put in this bullshit treatment in Florida.

Kid died of a stroke a few weeks later. They blamed it on the chemo.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Frog Act posted:

people refuse to believe me when i tell them chiropracty is a pseudoscience. every time i bring it up every single person in the room has an anecdote about how it's cheap and helpful etc etc. last time i argued about this iw as also told microwaves destroy the nutrients in food

People are stupid, always have been, always will be. What scares me is I'm not sure if the trend is that people are getting more or less stupid.

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

olylifter posted:

A native family in Ontario had a kid with leukemia and was adamant that the chemo was against their traditional native beliefs and wanted to put the kid into a holistic, alternative medicine type place in Florida. CPS didn't fight them but the hospital where the kid was getting treatment did.

The judge (the only First Nations judge on the bench in Ontario) ruled that they had a constitutional right to this, and allowed the kid to get pulled out and put in this bullshit treatment in Florida.

Kid died of a stroke a few weeks later. They blamed it on the chemo.

They have the right to helplessly watch their child die of natural causes as has been the way of their people for thousands of years

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Pebergehund posted:

They have the right to helplessly watch their child die of natural causes as has been the way of their people for thousands of years

Canada has literally ruled that loving cavemen medicine techniques are totally appropriate for children dying of cancer. So you can refuse to allow your child to get lifesaving treatment and instead let them drink a shitload of cedar tea instead. The Canadian courts are so afraid of native people's culture that they will even allow you to claim your murder victim was a bad spirit, and you were defending yourself from the spirit, as opposed to the obvious fact that you beat someone to death while drunk.

I teach at a first nation's school and the school admin brings in people who tell our students that traditional teas (boiled cedar) will cure Parkinsons and cancer and going to a real doctor is not going to help because "there was this guy this one time who the doctors couldn't help, and he took teas from an elder and now he's cured!". This is taken at 100% face value and the staff is encouraged to promote it over western medicine. The amount of times I've had to bite my tongue is astounding, and the sheer medical misinformation and backwardness that gets passed off as truth is scary. The best part is that we have a guy who promotes healthy traditional living to the students, and is 5'5", ~300lbs, and chainsmokes non-stop and eats nothing but garbage "Italian food" from a can.

The absolutely best part (not) is that traditional native healing practices are starting to get picked up by people outside of native communities, because . . . "it's magic!". I for one think health advice being taken from a sector of society with a life expectancy 10-20 years less than the Canadian average is a good idea.

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Blistex posted:

Canada has literally ruled that loving cavemen medicine techniques are totally appropriate for children dying of cancer. So you can refuse to allow your child to get lifesaving treatment and instead let them drink a shitload of cedar tea instead. The Canadian courts are so afraid of native people's culture that they will even allow you to claim your murder victim was a bad spirit, and you were defending yourself from the spirit, as opposed to the obvious fact that you beat someone to death while drunk.

I teach at a first nation's school and the school admin brings in people who tell our students that traditional teas (boiled cedar) will cure Parkinsons and cancer and going to a real doctor is not going to help because "there was this guy this one time who the doctors couldn't help, and he took teas from an elder and now he's cured!". This is taken at 100% face value and the staff is encouraged to promote it over western medicine. The amount of times I've had to bite my tongue is astounding, and the sheer medical misinformation and backwardness that gets passed off as truth is scary. The best part is that we have a guy who promotes healthy traditional living to the students, and is 5'5", ~300lbs, and chainsmokes non-stop and eats nothing but garbage "Italian food" from a can.

The absolutely best part (not) is that traditional native healing practices are starting to get picked up by people outside of native communities, because . . . "it's magic!". I for one think health advice being taken from a sector of society with a life expectancy 10-20 years less than the Canadian average is a good idea.

Come on, im sure this pandering, regressive approach to native empowerment will in no way backfire.

Why is it called western medicine anyway? Thats just politicizing something that doesnt need to be. We dont have a "western electrodynamics"

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Frog Act posted:

After some quick reads after hearing this myself a few times it's pretty much cooking vegatables period tends to suck the vitamins out of them apparently, but it's some triangle of time/water/heat not simply MICROWAVES ARE DEATH so hey I learned something.

Edit: not that I thought microwaves were bad before hand, I had to explain to someone getting a PhD once that I'm pretty sure microwaves don't give off alpha particles that are killing her kids.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 5, 2015

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Tell her that polio was caused by a lack of chiropractic medicine. Chiropractic medicine wasn't around when polio was big, you see. Then it was around and Polio went away. Furthermore this can help the child because

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Pebergehund posted:

Come on, im sure this pandering, regressive approach to native empowerment will in no way backfire.

"I'm sorry that I mentioned that First Nation's people migrated to North America during the Ice Age across the Bering Strait Land Bridge when covering the Human Migration component of the course. I will never again spread these lies. I also apologize that this insinuated that First Nation's people have anything in common with Asians (they said Chinks). I was not aware that Canada's first nation's people have always lived here since the beginning of time."

- (Blistex getting a formal written warning and reprimand, and having to apologize to parents)

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Frog Act posted:

last time i argued about this iw as also told microwaves destroy the nutrients in food
This isn't totally untrue, all forms of cooking change the nutritional makeup of food. Although they were probably hinting that microwaves destroy all of the nutrients and replace them with cancer.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Explain to her that chiropractors are a scam, and what she really needs to do is reiki.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Blistex posted:

"I'm sorry that I mentioned that First Nation's people migrated to North America during the Ice Age across the Bering Strait Land Bridge when covering the Human Migration component of the course. I will never again spread these lies. I also apologize that this insinuated that First Nation's people have anything in common with Asians (they said Chinks). I was not aware that Canada's first nation's people have always lived here since the beginning of time."

- (Blistex getting a formal written warning and reprimand, and having to apologize to parents)

Seriously?

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

Blistex posted:

:chanpop:

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
more like human being friend, am i rite?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Steal the baby

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

RaceBannon posted:

Seriously?

Dead loving serious.

The principal wasn't First Nations, so he managed to "lose that part" from my permanent record before I left to go to my current School. The writeup was something really damning like, "Blistex was subjecting students to ideas that were intolerant and counter to teachings of a culturally sensitive teacher". This is also the same school where during the talent show a student went up on stage, and for his talent yelled, "friend of the family" 15 times. He was not punished and this prompted the board to release a statement saying that First Nations students and people were incapable of being racists, as racism was a trait only exhibited by European culture and people of European descent.

This was also the same school that had an elder come in to share life experiences with students and he posed the question, "Do you know why Asians and Jews are successful and First Nations people are not? . . . . because we're honest!"

My current school has mandatory, "blame sessions" where all of FN's problems are blamed on colonialism (sort of true) and during each pause of damning "facts" the staff and students will give me sideways glances. But it's ok because one of the elders said, "Blistex, it's ok, you're one of the good ones!"

Blistex fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 5, 2015

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014

Blistex posted:

Dead loving serious.

The principal wasn't First Nations, so he managed to "lose that part" from my permanent record before I left to go to my current School. The writeup was something really damning like, "Blistex was subjecting students to ideas that were intolerant and counter to teachings of a culturally sensitive teacher". This is also the same school where during the talent show a student went up on stage, and for his talent yelled, "friend of the family" 15 times. He was not punished and this prompted the board to release a statement saying that First Nations students and people were incapable of being racists, as racism was a trait only exhibited by European culture and people of European descent.

This was also the same school that had an elder come in to share life experiences with students and he posed the question, "Do you know why Asians and Jews are successful and First Nations people are not? . . . . because we're honest!"

My current school has mandatory, "blame sessions" where all of FN's problems are blamed on colonialism (sort of true) and during each pause of damning "facts" the staff and students will give me sideways glances. But it's ok because one of the elders said, "Blistex, it's ok, you're one of the good ones!"

this all rules so hard. Canada is loving stupid

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Blistex posted:

Dead loving serious.

Holy loving poo poo. Had no idea.

TheTremendous
Jan 4, 2013

Butyraceous posted:

veedubfreak posted:

Dave Concepcion posted:

:drat:

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Blistex posted:

Dead loving serious.

why do you work in this hellhole

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

veedubfreak posted:

Dave Concepcion posted:

yes

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blistex posted:

Dead loving serious.

lmao

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
There is no greater joy in motherhood than watching someone break your baby in half.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Cowman posted:

Cheap smokes on the reserve. You pick up a case of those every day and sell them off-site, you can make some real bank.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

In California seen chiropractors get busted for writing prescription s for steroids. I guess they're popular for that

So tell her so she can get a real beefy baby bitch

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
you are judged by the company you keep, so if you are her friend ur also dumb LMAO

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW

Blistex posted:

Dead loving serious.

lmao canada is so loving pozzed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Cowman posted:

I'm a teacher, and got into the industry about a year after everyone realized that there are too many teachers and the number of students are shirinking (everywhere except native reserves because teen pregnancy X10).

anchoress posted:

lmao canada is so loving pozzed

To get back on track, we let Chiropractors start and get away with waaaaaaaaay too much poo poo. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiropractic_in_Canada

Naturalpathic/Homeopathic medicine is only (IMO) about 5-10 years behind them when it comes to gaining credibility which means even more taxpayer money is going to be spent on these loving quacks.

• Locked thread