Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Rod "He Hate Me" Smart went on to play for the Carolina Panthers for three years, and even played in Super Bowl XXXVIII! His big moment was returning a kick for no yards with seconds left in the game!

Also, imagine playing in a nationally broadcast league game -a game known to produce serious and severe injuries- with no term contracts and no healthcare. :fsmug:

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

BigBoss posted:

The XFL didn't fail for lack of talent, it failed because of marketing.

It was certainly over-marketed. Like someone said, we're supposed to care about rivalries for teams that didn't exist two months ago? The XFL appearing in Arnold's "The 6th Day" as some kind of super high tech football league?

And also it was a Libertarian Fantasy: Players didn't get season contracts, they got paid based on how often they played, if they got injured, too bad so sad, the WWF/XFL doesn't have healthcare for its employees. As Atlas Shrugged's Box Office ought to attest, real people don't like that sort of thing so much.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Captain Candiru posted:

Can't tell if you're making fun of his face or his name. Cause if you don't know who he is then lmao.

I know who he is and I still make fun of his name. Because who doesn't?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

burritolingus posted:

How dare the XFL not hideously overpay their athletes when they were just starting out!

Athletes in most countries don't make even $2000 a game.

Athletes in most other countries play more than one game a week though.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

^^^^ You didn't miss anything. I watched the first three weeks and it was basically them being completely unable to figure out what they were actually trying to do.

There was a Mad Magazine comic about the XFL that summed it up nicely, but I can't find it. It was something along the lines of five cameras per player, including the cable-cam and a steadi-cam guy on the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Blue Raider posted:

nobody gives a gently caress about player compensation

Bullshit, people don't put their kids into sports so their kids can break their bodies and make mediocre wages.

• Locked thread