Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Jesus loving Christ. Playing this with the lights out and my headset on and the prologue actually made me teary-eyed. This game is beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Macaluso posted:

Jesus, the part where you have to escape the tree while it's being flooded is absolutely kicking my rear end. The least they could do is let me put down a check point midway through :psyduck:

edit: Beat it. Holy poo poo that was hard

I'm at the part right after that and yeah, it was pretty intense. It took me about 10 or so tries due to stupid mistakes, but I think they did it just right.

To add to the spectacular graphics, soundtrack, and controls, you can throw level design on there too. If you are having trouble advancing in an area you don't think you should be in yet, then you aren't supposed to be in there. Also, there's plenty of walls in the Spider's Hideout that are just high enough that you can't reach until you finally get the Double Jump ability. That's right out of Metroid's playbook and well thought out.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Feenix posted:

I've made it my mission to push this game to anyone who will listen. I am gifting it to at least two people. It is a CRIME that this is only a one page thread.

This game is a work of art.

Same here. I've run into a couple of weird, minor bugs, but this is still very strong GOTY 2015 material for me. In the Misty Woods right now.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
77% done. Man, poo poo gets real in the Forlorn Ruins. It took me a few deaths to figure out exactly how to manipulate the platforms there since it's not really explained at all.

I also appreciate how Kuro was just protecting her children and she actually had a motive for her actions instead of just Darkness = Bad Guy.

Am I correct in assuming you can't go back into the ruins after the path is blocked by a boulder?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I went ahead and finished it last night. My thoughts:

A few parts threw me for a loop where I almost got stuck, but it hasn't changed my opinion of the game: It's a magnificent 5 out of 5 stars and was well worth the $20. Definitely in my all-time favorites list. A couple of minor annoyances though (spoiler-ed just in case):

• I didn't get the achievement for exploring the whole map because I only got to explore 98% of the Forlorn Ruins when I explored 100% of every other area. Blah.
  • Not being able to go back into your profile to find more secrets kinda sucks, but I guess that adds to the replay value.
  • Is there a map stone fragment in the portion of the Misty Woods were you appear lost? If not, I have no idea where I could have missed one.
  • I also missed an Energy container somewhere. I have no idea where I would even start to look for that.
  • Traversing through the Forlorn Ruins could have been explained a little bit better (the first place I almost got stuck). It's not entirely clear that you can walk all around a cube and then jump off of a side of it to make that perspective of the screen the "floor".
  • Unlocking a couple of the levels in Mt. Horu were a little too obtuse (second place I almost got stuck). There's one room with 2 walls with a purple orb/symbol in them, and to unlock the top-most one, you have to destroy all of the fire rock thingys by reflecting their attack back at them with Bash. The game doesn't hint toward this at all and if I didn't try that as a last-ditch effort to try and advance past that room, I'd still be there scratching my head.
  • The ending was awesome and leaves a CLEAR path for a sequel (maybe the egg gives way to a new pissed off demi-god owl and an Ori from a new generation has to restore the land once again? Or the baby owl grows up with Ori and they have to team up to face a greater evil?) I want a sequel! I WILL PAY $60 FOR A SEQUEL MOON STUDIOS DO YOU HEAR ME?!?
  • I'm a crazy completionist and even I'm not even trying to get the Immortal achievement. To hell with that. Can you imagine getting all the way to the end where you have to evade Kuro the second time and you make one small mistake and die? No way. Beating the game in less than 3 hours and without using any Ability Points is more than challenging enough.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

PantsBandit posted:

I looooove the springboard/charge ability. It's such a cool way to handle the traditional triple jump/shine spark and makes traversing the world a ton of fun.

Bash is very cool. It gets even better when you unlock Triple Jump from the one skill tree. It's a good thing you like it, because you'll be using it a lot more.

Feenix posted:

On the one hand you don't want fun like that to ever end.

On the other hand, the only reason it's fun like that all the way through is because they didn't drag or pad it out.

It's basically perfect.

This.

I like exploring nooks and crannies and my first playthrough clocked in at juuust over 10 hours. I also heard through the grapevine that the Immortal achievement can be had by saving constantly and just reloading the save if you should happen to die, which makes it a lot more reasonable. I'll be playing this again very soon to try and get more of the achievements.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

guppy posted:

I "want a sequel" in the sense that I want to feel about another new game the way I do about this one. In practice "more of the same" would probably be a letdown if only because it wouldn't be novel. So I guess I'd like a new, similarly high quality game, and am interested to see what the studio does next.

I had no idea this took four years to make. I shudder to think of the kind of business this would have to do to pay for four years of development time. I hope it's selling like gangbusters.

:agreed:

I'm happy to see so many others enjoying it. I'm still telling friends and co-workers to play it whenever I can. It just goes to show how overblown the whole development cycle for AAA/"Blockbuster" games are when titles like Ori and Child of Light prove that less is more.

• Locked thread