Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korthal
May 26, 2011

It might have been smug for me to have a CD player in 2004 instead of a cassette player, but woe to me now that I can't hook up an cassette tape adaptor to my phone like my sister in her older car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
:firstpost:

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

You just need to invent a device that's as thin as a compact disk, and that can follow the players reading head. It can't be that hard.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
Just replace the stereo in the car!

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
Put a record player in your backseat. Every drive will create a new remix.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
So use something like this.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

just use bluetooth

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Wear headphones that's what I do

Korthal
May 26, 2011

TVs Ian posted:

So use something like this.

Yeah, try finding a clear radio frequency in a major metro area. Otherwise, enjoy your noise!

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Korthal posted:

It might have been smug for me to have a CD player in 2004 instead of a cassette player, but woe to me now that I can't hook up an cassette tape adaptor to my phone like my sister in her older car.

Put in a simple single-din bluetooth head unit that lets you make calls and stream audio with your phone, you huge goon. They cost like $50.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Korthal posted:

Yeah, try finding a clear radio frequency in a major metro area. Otherwise, enjoy your noise!
I used to use one on Long Island, worked fine unless somebody else with one was next to me at a traffic light.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
I can't use my phone with my mom's car cause she was afraid i was going to text and die.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

http://wwv.crutchfield.com/p_130X4700BT/Pioneer-DEH-X4700BT.html?tp=5684

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Saga posted:

Put in a simple single-din bluetooth head unit that lets you make calls and stream audio with your phone, you huge goon. They cost like $50.

Yeah, well, I don't know how to install a radio in a car, so that would cost me another $100 on top of it.

And no, don't go telling me how simple it must be to do it yourself, like it's lego or something.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Korthal posted:

Yeah, well, I don't know how to install a radio in a car, so that would cost me another $100 on top of it.

And no, don't go telling me how simple it must be to do it yourself, like it's lego or something.

YOU PUT THIS PIECE OF METAL ON THE SIDES AND IT loving FALLS OUT

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
lol if your cars sound system doesn't have bluetooth and a usb port.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Korthal posted:

OK, it's simple to do it yourself, like Duplo.

Assuming it uses a standard single-din unit and isn't one of these new fangled built in head units in weird sizes and doesn't have some bizarre proprietary connector, you pretty much slide it out with a 50 cent tool from AreaAutoPartsStore (this may even come free with your new head unit) and plug in the new one. You may have to install a matching cradle for it, but that will come in the box.

Even if you pay $200 for it installed, you get hands free calling (they come with an external mic) so you don't drive into someone and kill them while trying to drive and talk on the phone.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

if you have a soldering iron you can probably add an aux jack yourself, op. try it

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just turn up the volume on your phone

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Saga posted:

Assuming it uses a standard single-din unit and isn't one of these new fangled built in head units in weird sizes and doesn't have some bizarre proprietary connector

Isn't that like almost every new car now?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

Isn't that like almost every new car now?

Yeah, but not as likely in 2004.

open container
Sep 16, 2008
burn a cd

open container
Sep 16, 2008
what's wrong with cds

cds are good

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Saga posted:

OK, it's simple to do it yourself, like Duplo.

Assuming it uses a standard single-din unit and isn't one of these new fangled built in head units in weird sizes and doesn't have some bizarre proprietary connector, you pretty much slide it out with a 50 cent tool from AreaAutoPartsStore (this may even come free with your new head unit) and plug in the new one. You may have to install a matching cradle for it, but that will come in the box.

Even if you pay $200 for it installed, you get hands free calling (they come with an external mic) so you don't drive into someone and kill them while trying to drive and talk on the phone.

The problem is, with my Saturn Vue, I have to take off the whole front console to access the radio.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN-Q5lIuL2M and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1f_aegHUVk

That's what I meant by it not being just Legos.

open container posted:

what's wrong with cds

cds are good

CDs don't give me driving directions.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

omg you own a saturn vue get bent

that plastic poo poo always just pulls off too

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery
basic bitch

open container
Sep 16, 2008

Korthal posted:

get a hearing aid so you can hear your phone's speaker

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hmmm I have a decent stock stereo with a broken CD player and an AUX in and this thread is making me want to yank it out and put in a Bluetooth thing with hands free calling. Any that I should completely avoid or look into?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Korthal posted:

The problem is, with my Saturn Vue, I have to take off the whole front console to access the radio.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN-Q5lIuL2M and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1f_aegHUVk

That's what I meant by it not being just Legos.

the longest video of the two is 11 minutes. get over it

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Ryoshi posted:

Hmmm I have a decent stock stereo with a broken CD player and an AUX in and this thread is making me want to yank it out and put in a Bluetooth thing with hands free calling. Any that I should completely avoid or look into?

dont buy anything labeled "dual" and make sure it costs like, $60 or more. avoid walmart. buy on amazon or something. start at a pricepoint then look at ones with these features

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Ryoshi posted:

Well if you have a Saturn Vue you will have to rip all the trim off your dash and leave it in the trunk.

That Pioneer that was already linked to looks fine. I had a Sony unit that also did exactly what it said on the tin. :shrug:

OP, you can also use a bluetooth kit with a junction box that sits someplace like the glovebox and plugs into the back of the existing head unit. Also usually has SD and USB inputs.

Even replacing the head unit doesn't look hard, you just need to unclip a few bits of trim to unbolt it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Korthal posted:

Find the ones from I think before 2004 and they work awesome (it was before the FCC mandated that they neuter them)

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I used to have that problem but then I slammed my car into another one at 50mph, totaling it and buying a new car with an aux plug. Maybe try that?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
oval office

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The dude who helps with your flat tire is going to make bank.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I had one of those bullshit consoles and a cd player in my old prizm and I bought an aux jack and wired it in to the CD player leads, worked pretty fuckin well and I put a switch in so I could still use the CD player but not sure why I would have done that.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X370BT/Pioneer-MVH-X370BT.html?tp=5684
This is even cheaper elsewhere, but comes with installation brackets and wiring harness from Crutchfield.

Who listens to CDs anymore, anyways? I put a tiny 32GB USB thumb drive in and have thousands of songs on tap. You can also use bluetooth to stream music from your phone, or use pandora, or whatever.

$100, man.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

you hosed up, idiot

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I was jealous of all the other kids in high school who drove cars with CD players. I only had a lame rear end cassette player. then when Ipods became popular, I got one of those cassette audio jack things and all of a sudden I was cool.

• Locked thread