Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Previously, on Saturday Night Live...

Dakota Johnson acquitted herself nicely, I thought! She did a reasonably good job committing to the premises she was given, which honestly, could have gone farther out there. The Internet at large flipped out over Father Daughter Ad, which spent a long time building up a sappy premise only to take one of the sharpest left turns in recent SNL history to suddenly inject ISIS into it. People, predictably, flipped out.

It's a shame, too, because Giuliani Cold Open was a much better cold open than we usually get, a great conceptual piece that worked even if you haven't seen Birdman yet. Say What You Wanna Say was a nice premise executed nicely (What if you could just say "gently caress it" to routine politeness?) made better by a fantastic song choice. Press Junket was the sole aired sketch specifically dealing with Fifty Shades (more on that below), but it took the really bizarre step of having Kyle Mooney play a way-too-young kid somehow both getting and not getting what he'd seen. Both people executed well, but I felt like the writing could've been sharper somehow.

Nothing was outright bad, but I Can't Even was one joke told repeatedly mixed with a dash of KIDS THESE DAYS, Emergency Room was a well-researched Star Trek bit that didn't really go anywhere, and Mr. Riot Films was (broken record time) executed well technically but the sum total of its observations was "People on YouTube are bad at advocacy", which... yes? And?

Weekend Update is still showing steady signs of improvement. Che and Jost continue to improve their delivery, and all three correspondents (Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Kanye West, Riblet) did exactly what they needed to do, especially Riblet, who really needs to stick around and continue to be the weirdest meta commentary ever.

Oh, and I take it back, Net Neutrality was outright bad. I'm biased, I guess, but it's an important topic that got completely glossed over for cheap Internet stereotype jokes, and it didn't even have the decency to attempt to point out that nobody understands it. It was one or two steps away from the joke literally being "Man, that Net Neutrality thing is so confusing, amirite?"

There was one cut sketch: New Playroom. How anyone involved thought this would ever make it to air is beyond me, and I think that was the point. There are way too many dildos and other paraphernalia on screen and explicitly referenced for this to be anything other than a sketch that awkwardly plays at dress and then gets posted on the Internet. I almost wish they'd be more explicit about making web-only sketches if they're going to push at boundaries like this. The actual comedy content of the sketch was boilerplate SNL, with the only real redeeming feature being the sheer shock value of whatever the hell that 5 dildo chair was that got wheeled by.

This week, on Hey Guys, Marvel Movies Are Still A Thing, Right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp_8WpHQapM

Chris Hemsworth is here! Oddly enough, I could've sworn he hosted before, but I must've gotten him mixed up with someone else. That sounds really mean to him, and it is, because he's got plenty of charisma and handles his rather... pompous (?) character of Thor really well. All this to say that he's got the chops, as long as he loosens up a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N8_CRpL6wk

Ya know, as far as country bands go, you could do a lot worse than Zac Brown Band. I can't help but feel like their inclusion is some sort of attempt to balance out Hemsworth by picking something AMERICA(tm) to be the musical guest, but that diminishes their actual talent and listenability. Should we be cynical this week? I leave that up to you, I'm too lazy to decide.

Up next...

Um... nobody's said anything! Probably a couple weeks off. Here's hoping we get some really awesome guest like Tina Fey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Mo0 posted:

I Can't Even was one joke told repeatedly mixed with a dash of KIDS THESE DAYS
When those kids say "literally" every other sentence, they deserve what they get. :colbert:

Mo0 posted:

Oh, and I take it back, Net Neutrality was outright bad. I'm biased, I guess, but it's an important topic that got completely glossed over for cheap Internet stereotype jokes, and it didn't even have the decency to attempt to point out that nobody understands it. It was one or two steps away from the joke literally being "Man, that Net Neutrality thing is so confusing, amirite?"
Not to sound tinfoil, but I feel like this is a top-down directive from Comcast. I've seen Fallon mention NN all of twice in the last year, both times in the context of his bit where he drones on about something while Tariq thinks "What the hell is Jimmy going on about??" Similarly, I can only remember one occurrence of Meyers bringing the matter up as well, in a similarly obtuse fashion. These people are probably writing about it, and S&P is killing any NN stuff that's even mildly in favor of it. One hell of a conflict of interest. All hail Kabletown (with a "K") and the corporatocracy, may she reign for 1,000 years.

With that out of the way, that cut sketch was pretty bland. It was an interesting premise that was toned down too much, and suffered for it. Interesting you suggest going balls-out with web-only sketches; NBC is preparing to offer an SNL/Tonight subscription service. Cut sketches, which have proven popular on Youtube so far this season since SNL began uploading them regularly, could be an attractive supplemental value-added feature. There's also 30 years of cut sketches gathering dust in the vaults, to which access would alone be worth the few bucks a month.

Whether anything cool like that would actually HAPPEN, who knows.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

pwn posted:

Not to sound tinfoil, but I feel like this is a top-down directive from Comcast.

As someone who until recently was the MSNBC version of those Fox News viewers who leave the channel on for ambience, and who stupidly expected people like Maddow and Hayes to be all over NN, this is definitely not tinfoil territory. If I want to see televised coverage of it, I end up on Thom Hartmann or Amy Goodman.

Also thread bump I guess.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Has Kate played Hilary before?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I heard here and there that Hemsworth is supposed to be a funny motherfucker, but I guess we'll find out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This hillary is hella weak

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Gotta establish the Hillary impersonation now

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pinwiz11 posted:

Has Kate played Hilary before?

If she had I don't think they'd be having her do it right now.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

:stare:what a relatable laugh:stare:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

FishBulb posted:

Gotta establish the Hillary impersonation now

I thought Vanessa Bayer was the goto Hillary too.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I get to watch this on my new LED TV. Yay!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I didn't know there was a mini Thor.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

I would rather watch Kenan Thompson than Liam Hemsworth in pretty much any role

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Nice monologue.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I bounced around Hollywood for days.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That was perfect

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

liked the faked American Express ad.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

We're looking for a Thor-type, not the actual Thor.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hah! And here's the actual American Express commercial!

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Immediately followed by an actual American Express ad

Pariah Rex
May 31, 2011

If I help you now it sets a bad example to my fans.
Wait are they actually airing the real commercial that was being parodied right after the parody?!

This is legendary bad timing.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Full speed ahead. I just realized I am spending money for SD poo poo. This TV is now ridiculous.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Parody, original

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
Yeah Mindy Kaling is such a beast amirite

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Chris Hemsworth american accent is awesome.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Taran is trying so hard not to lose it

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Wasn't this premise done by Amy Adams and Kristen Wiig?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ehh I go to the bathroom on this thing...

pwn
May 27, 2004

the writers are crushing on hemsworth.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

My dick's bigger!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
MY DICK'S BIGGER

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

MY DICK'S BIGGER!!!

It's not... :qq:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Keenan, you funny person!

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Haha closed captioning bleeped it out

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

pwn posted:

the writers are crushing on hemsworth.

Gunna start getting old real fast

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

LESLIE AS PORTIA!!!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is fun!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Che outside of update!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Loose as a goose.