Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Choco1980 posted:

I doubt the FFIV one is a SA reference. Goon is a pretty long-standing word synonymous with "lackey" or "henchmen".

I may be misremembering, but I think I read somewhere that the guy who did the FF4 Advance retranslation was indeed an SA poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Ohhhhhh, this explains the comet event that Events & Decisions mod adds into Civ 5! That one actually gives you other options and results in later eras, though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Internet Kraken posted:

Those kind of fights show up a lot in RPGs. Usually the enemy destroys you so thoroughly you'll think "oh, guess I can't win". A game is really trolling you when it seems like you CAN win but its pointless.

Star Ocean 2 was the worst game in this regard because it had unwinnable boss fights with overwhelmingly powerful enemies. It's actually kinda obvious that they're meant to be unbeatable--they move faster than you can so they can hunt down players who think they're being clever by dodging their hitboxes, they complete their spells instantly, they generally one- or two-shot you, and they're scripted to take 0 damage from almost everything--and they even scale to your level so you can't overpower them no matter what you do.

The problem was, you're not actually supposed to die in some of these battles. Sometimes, you're supposed to survive for 60-120 seconds. Against enemies who move faster than you, cast spells that do max damage, and have extremely aggressive AI :eng99:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I seem to remember :siren: STAR PLAYER OF THE ZANARKAND ABES :siren: Tidus's skills also being pretty balls except for kicking. Like not only was your team absolute rear end but Tidus was only good on offensive plays which meant if you never got the opportunity to make one you were just kind of hosed. It was also pretty hard to actually get him in position to make a play either because his other stats were utter poo poo.

Ehh, iirc his stats were slightly above average, below-average tackle, and decidedly above-average speed but not enough that you can notice it. The problem was that Jecht Shot is just so good that it's next to impossible to miss with, so his really nice shot stat is kinda :shrug:. He was good on a statistical level, but compared to players like Brother, who was so fast that nobody could even catch up with him and it hosed with the opposing team's AI, Tidus seems... blah.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pneub posted:

Well, Prof. X tells you to "Reset the computer now!" in a caption. What more do you want?
I also never beat the game until the internet existed.

I reset the game on two separate occasions and it sent me back to the first stage :sigh:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I was not aware of this, but this... this is not a good decision.

It wouldn't be good design, but JP is cumulative. When the game says you need 100JP to get to level 2 and then 250 to get to level 3, it actually means you only need 150 to go from 2 to 3. Getting to class level 8 is kinda quick--I think it takes earning 2000JP total, which is roughly 150-200 actions, which will probably take you about eight or nine encounters if you're just playing naturally--and goes even faster if you grab JP Up. Mastering classes, on the other hand, is another story entirely and can take thousands and thousands and thousands of Job Points.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Silver Falcon posted:

Anyway, back to the final boss. Once you manage to get through that auto-scrolling level, you're confronted with the alien queen. One of her moves is to suck you into her mouth. If she does this, you are kicked back to The Machine and have to go through the whole drat thing again. Oh, and if you die against this boss? Yep, you also have to go back through The Machine.

From what I can tell, getting sucked into her mouth just does a poo poo-ton of damage that instantly kills you, but it doesn't actually anything to warp you one stage back. This is based on my game genie experience with the code where you never take damage from anything, but it still plays the damage sound effects. Getting sucked into the boss's mouth and hearing Ecco screaming repeatedly against a blood-red background will haunt me forever :stare:

That game was so hosed up.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Happy Landfill posted:

Are there any comparison pics out there? I'd really love to see the differences.
It's hard to get a comparison screenshot without, afaik, capture hardware so you can see it at PS1 res, but basically,

you see that ticket and how it has lots of complex symbols on it and poo poo? At the native texture resolution, you can't even tell that it has anything on it at all. It's just a blur of pixels that were actually designed to be as sharp as this image. Which is kind of weird, because as you can see on the hat, those native textures are just crappy and stretched. It kinda has FF14 Barrel* issues going on, now that I think about it.

*the FF14 Barrel is something similar, but different and happened a decade later, in which the models of cheap-rear end barrels on the side of the street had as many polygons as the player character models.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Light Gun Man posted:

Cheating in pokemon was great because everyone had these mewtwos and charizards they got to level 100 from level 1 with infinite rare candies whereas my pokemon were legitimately leveled up and thus I could kick their asses with my Articuno and Venusaur. :smug:

It also helped that no one understood ice type murdered dragons so your Dragonite will not save you. Somehow I never hosed up my save (other than the elite 4 stats thing) loving around with missingo.

I was lucky enough not to gently caress my cart with Missingno, but I did get a Level 255 Blastoise that ruined everyone's poo poo :getin:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rickycat posted:

The quarry in Banished is probably the biggest troll I've seen. I've never seen so many people die to one profession. Might as well call it the pit of death.

My Banished troll is Coal. I've never, ever seen a citizen move it to a market or even a storage space. It just sits there next to the mines forever until a citizen who needs some fuel gets lucky and wanders over to it. Alternatively, I've had more citizens die from falling of ladders as builders than I've had citizens die in my quarries.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Takoluka posted:

It was really funny that the game would tell you to get a ghost Pokemon to beat Sabrina, but if you ever did so, she'd eat you alive, because despite the problems with Ghost moves, all Gen 1 ghosts were also Poison type.

Sabrina was the trollest fight in that entire game. Level 50 Alakazam with Recover, and unlimited PP because that's how AI opponents worked in Gen 1? Why not!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Agent355 posted:

Actually it was that you could see two depths of water. There was the dark blue of deep water and the lightblue of coastline. So rather than comparing land formations and forests you were comparing water depths. Most people seemed to have missed that part.

It doesn't help that we were working with like five pixels of coastline in the hint image, and that was on lovely CRTs.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Soul Reaver posted:

On a side note: when I created my commander Shepherd, I gave him the first name "Conrad". And he had facial hair a lot like the Conrad Verner. For a while I though the game was designed so that Conrad Verner would look a lot like you and have the same first name to make him extra creepy stalker-ish - turns out it was a total coincidence. :shrug:
I think he does get the same haircut as you, though!

pentyne posted:

There were an insane, absolutely insane amounts of permutations that you could get from a ME1-ME2-ME3 save file, and by far the best were the ones just casually inserted into the background, like the one random mention of a planned Elcor staging of Hamlet and 2 games later you hear about people reviewing it and playing clips of it.
Such a shame they threw it all away because one guy couldn't stop jumping on his own dick. I couldn't share the series with other people in good conscience after that, but believe you me, I was looking forward to it all the way up to the last thirty minutes.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

liquidypoo posted:

There is nothing else in the room, and you went through all that effort for floor pie.

The food healing items in Castlevania, barring the staples like Pot Roast and Turkey, are all pretty crappy troll items. Peanuts, frankfurters, grapes, all these things you think "well maybe they'll help me in a pinch" just poo poo up your inventory and heal somewhere around 12 HP, which is like getting hit once in the first half of the game. In SotN, you couldn't even sell them.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Is it a key item? I guess I never noticed.

olaf2022 posted:

the luck boost they give is (seemingly) helpful when grinding for a Crissaegrim or Ring Of Varda drop

It is, but luck has weird diminishing returns on drop rates.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

exquisite tea posted:

There was also the original Loremaster title, which before the old world revamp in Cataclysm involved completing nearly every single questline on both continents in Azeroth.

One of my buddies from college had Loremaster, but I didn't know what that entailed because I never played WoW :catstare:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nuebot posted:

More fun Monster Rancher poo poo:
In the first game there was a monster called Doodle to get it you had to raise a Monol, a living wall, to max fame, deliberately enter a low ranking tournament to tank its fame and then someone would graffiti your wall. Fusing it with another monster would cause the drawing to come to life and you got a doodle. How you were expected to ever figure that out, I have no clue.

I never played MR1, but I played MR2 and had I used Monols, I would've found that pretty easily because I'm a scrub player who grinds money on low rank fights, and Fame gets maxed pretty easily if you never rank your monster up.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The underlying problem being, if you're strong enough to fight the Elite Boarthingy then you have no business lurking around the low-level area except for revenge.

FF11, in my experience, kind of did it correctly in that you could sort of take them with a full party, but 1) they outscaled full parties of an appropriate level just a few areas out of the starting zones and 2) the only people still playing FF11 when I started were hardcore crazies who looked down on new players, so good luck finding a full party.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Chinaman7000 posted:

FF8 and all the twisty systems were great, and felt really rewarding to a young kid with too much time to waste on grinding.

The systems were okay, but the real troll was that the game describes them all in-character. Like, every previous FF game broke the fourth wall to make its mechanics easier to digest--Materia is described on an instruction manual level, even Blitz is like "hey input the command like this on the gamepad"--but FF8 went out of its way to be stupid and esoteric.

Like, it was seriously as easy as saying, "instead of armor or accessories, we equip magic. Higher-level magic gives you bigger stat increases or better resistances." But noooooo, instead we got, GF GIVES US STRENGTH, BY JUNCTIONING MAGIC. GUARDIAN FORCE IS OUR POWER. SEE, THE STAT GOES UP.

I dunno if that's just someone had a fuckin' stroke while translating the game or what.

Fur20 has a new favorite as of 20:24 on Oct 14, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Erebus posted:

If you type cusses into Simcity 2000 the game realizes you need Jesus and decides to help

Churches tank property values, who woulda thought?

Agents are GO! posted:

If you use the voice command option in Binary Domain, and you swear into the microphone, your teammates tell you to quit whining.

Binary Domain can't process my bass 2 :(

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cleretic posted:

I wouldn't really say that. Metroid was going strong until Other M killed the momentum, yes, but remember that it took Nintendo eight years to follow up on Super Metroid, which was a Good Game.

To be fair, the eight year gap is there due to the N64. They did some pretty cool things with Star Fox and Zelda, but Shadows of the Empire was a glimpse into what Super Metroid 64 probably would've been.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Light Gun Man posted:

Why the hell did so many people have multiple names in CT?

crono's true name was fabio, but he never spoke so he wasn't able to reveal it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CitizenKain posted:

I always found the GMs in WoW to be helpful on things they could actually fix back in vanilla. Although as the game moved on their customer service started to degrade in quality.

Blizzard's customer service in general degraded after a certain point. My personal PYF Trolls From Blizzard was when they started running a hidden hardware check on your computer when Starcraft 2 started up. I was using a hackintosh by that point, so it was non-standard hardware and some custom firmware. Their check would fail but infinitely loop itself.

I asked their tech support if it would be possible to opt out of the check, or to skip it. The rear end in a top hat called me a criminal without a second thought and told me not to contact their customer service regarding this issue again. So I didn't, and stopped buying their products :)

Fur20 has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Oct 22, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Like everything else about Blitzball, it ultimately boils down to numbers and probability. The three times a random toss-up is triggered (beginning of the first half, beginning of the second half, and when Wakka comes in and loving ruins everything) the Goers have a 50% chance to get the ball, and if they do, it's overwhelmingly likely that they'll score. If you get the ball every time (raw 12.5% chance), there's pretty much no way you can lose.

If you don't, your only real recourse is to grind passing like it's that episode of the Simpsons about the World Cup, and then make up for it by having become overwhelmingly powerful monsters in the space of a half because everyone on your team just jumped like six levels.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Choco1980 posted:

Cause then there's people like ME where they become Blitzball pros through lots of hard work and go back and nope, good luck even making a single pass that's not intercepted and the stats seem way boosted over what they say they are for the Goers.

Interceptions are 100% proximity-based, you just gotta master reading the minimap. There will never be a situation where you can get intercepted if you're reading it right. It's poorly designed because it's not only reliant on gamey understanding, but also largely hangs on RNG. The harder you game it, the better your chance to win, but you can still get screwed by random chance on the Blitzoff no matter how much you know about the math or how approximately you can estimate pixel distances.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Did Bethesda hire the dude who was responsible for Final Fantasy II at some point?

Naw, Nasir's been retired since the 90s :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

This seems like an incredibly trivial thing to drop a game in five minutes over.

It really depends. Can enemies move and target diagonally? If they can, it's straight bullshit. If they can't, then sure, it works the same way as Dungeons of Dredmor. Designing a game like that is all about weighing the player's capabilities against the enemies'.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zortzico posted:

Like Harvest Moon 64 where they literally spelled their own company name wrong on the title screen? Who the hell is "Natume"

In all honesty though, the 64 version is broken and buggy to the point it didn't feel complete. Game freezes, walking off the map, etc. All things considered though, I loved that damned game and am disappointed that I never owned it.

To be fair, some of the bugs (like walking off the map) are really hard to pull off. The freezes are hardware errors, not software (they don't appear in emulation), and the most common normal glitch players will encounter will be the auto-scrolling runoff text when you talk to your horse, followed by improperly-drawn text boxes during certain events.

That translation, though. Sometimes, I wonder if they even had a native English speaker working on it. Even though it scrolls by really quickly, yes, you do ask your horse, "How you are doing today?"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NotAnArtist posted:

It's not so hilarious when an npc starts you on a quest chain and it immediately breaks, as is currently happening in fallout 4.

Yeah, the time Fallout 3 arbitrarily ate my 30hr save was super fun. New Vegas, too, though at least that was only 12 hours in. Skyrim, too! Is it any wonder why I'm not gonna buy FO4?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sleeveless posted:

How can you not have multiple saves at any given time? Even in the dark days of Playstation memory cards I always cycled between two saves just in case one was corrupted or erased or I got stuck.

The thing is, I always did. After playing to roughly the same play clock, trying not to do the same things I had that presumably led to the save corruption, the files still broke. The only thing I can guess is that I did something a long ways back that had a slow-burn butterfly effect that made the file completely unloadable after about the same amount of time. Normally I'd say this is a ridiculous theory, but these are "radiant AI" Bethesda games we're talking about here.

It's the most :psyduck: bug I've ever run into in a video game, but for it to keep happening across completely separate titles tells me it's a problem native to the engine.

Fur20 has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Nov 28, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
FO3 was on console, but NV and Skyrim did that on PC. It was unfortunate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Croccers posted:

I like how the second-to-bottom option is the I'm Not Racist But... option.

nethack isn't the kind of game i have an interest in

i'm a nintendo racist

• Locked thread