Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
For various reasons, game developers seem to design stuff to purposely piss the player off. I'm not talking about when you get mad at something in a game born from incompetence or laziness. I mean when you can tell the developers went out of there way to make one part of their game nothing but a "gently caress you" to the player. Or maybe the whole thing. Recently, I played LISA and it does stuff like this all the time to make you really hate the world you're in. One moment stands out to me though as it goes beyond world building and annoys you on a meta level.

At one point, you see a rope leading up a cliff. If you chose to climb that rope, and you will since you'll think something good is up there, you will quickly discover it is a LONG rope. All you'll see is the same blue sky as you climb up a featureless cliff. After a solid two minutes of climbing, you're probably starting to think the section endlessly repeats itself. But no, if you climb just a bit further you will reach the top of the cliff, only to find the game flipping you off.

Literally. All you see is a middle finger.

So yeah, you just wasted several minutes doing nothing but climbing only to be told to gently caress off. As an added bonus the game refuses to let you commit suicide by jumping off the cliff despite being able to do that everywhere else in the game. You have to either manually restart the game or climb all the way back down the rope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pound_Coin posted:

Matrix: Path of Neo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1XhcSyVr-A (stick with this til at least 3:34)

a bad broken game

Hahaha how the hell does this exist? I guess they figured the game would sell on brand alone so it didn't matter what they did with it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Super paper mario was already a huge troll. It's incredibly bad whether you hold it to the standards of an action game or a paper mario game.

That thing in the second chapter where you have to just hold right on a hamster wheel for 5 minutes straight that people always mention? Not an exaggeration in the slightest. The game really makes you do that, along with all the other poo poo posted above. The game has an inexplicable contempt for you from start to finish.

I don't think it was that bad, it had some moments in its writing. The devs did seem to hold a lot of the spite for the player though, especially completionists. To 100% the game you need to beat THREE separate 100 battle gauntlets. When you beat the final one, the last boss tells you to gently caress off and do the whole thing again for the real fight. There are no changes to it. You just get told to do the entire thing again, as if the game is mocking your need to complete everything.

Elkyrie posted:

So is this Lisa or Lisa The First, which are apparently two different things?

wanna play this game, that sounds hilarious

LISA the RPG released recently on Steam. Its a really good game that is both hilarious and depressing and I highly recommend it to everyone. Just be aware it enjoys kicking you in the balls a lot. Sometimes literally! :shepface:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

JebanyPedal posted:

Golden Sun trolled the poo poo out of me because I must have restarted the game about 4 times before I realized you were SUPPOSED to lose at that specific fight early on. I was like 11 though.

Those kind of fights show up a lot in RPGs. Usually the enemy destroys you so thoroughly you'll think "oh, guess I can't win". A game is really trolling you when it seems like you CAN win but its pointless.

Tales of Symphonia hosed with me this way. At one point in the game you get thrown into a boss gauntlet. First boss isn't that bad but is still the strongest one you've faced up until now. You can't lose to this guy, as you would expect. Right after you beat this guy, you have to fight another boss. This boss is also one of your former party members doing a heel turn, so I hope you weren't relying on him up until now. Now he's much harder than the first boss but it still feels like you can beat him. He's really tough unless you grind levels but the fight isn't impossibly hard, so you don't think its a fight you're supposed to lose. When I was a kid I reset the game whenever I lost to him so I didn't realize it was actually a fight you CAN lose.

Oh, but its worse than that. Lets say you do beat this guy instead of losing to him. What do you get? loving NOTHING. There is absolutely no point in winning the fight. Regardless of how you do, right after the fight ANOTHER boss shows up. He will just casually oneshot your entire party, making all of your previous efforts pointless. Being able to "win" the second fight is just the game loving with you. Of course since this is a JRPG there is also a bunch of long, stupid cutscene inbetween each fight that you cannot skip.

Internet Kraken has a new favorite as of 01:28 on Mar 17, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its still so bizzare to me that the game with a city destroying sky whale as the antagonist somehow has an organized sports program complete with seasons and drafting.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Asehujiko posted:

Troll DRM rarely ends up trolling anybody but the false positive victims and/or developer.

I've heard the "safe" way to do this is for the company to intentionally leak a version of the game out on the internet that contains the troll DRM. The DRM doesn't actually end up in the version of the game that is put on sale, so the only way you would ever encounter it is if you pirated the version they leaked.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

poptart_fairy posted:

Kojima's on record as saying he utterly, utterly hated Metal Gear Solid 4 and just wanted Solid Snake's Story (:haw:) to be over. The original ending was for Otacon and Snake to be executed as war criminals but his entire staff turned against him, forcing the guy to change it to what he got.

Note how the non-Snake games are considerably more optimistic.

If he just wanted it to be over why did he make people suffer through hour long cutscenes?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Raiden is a really whiny baby in MGS4 though.

"It even rained on the day I was born :qq:"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I played a ton of Oblivion as a kid and don't remember finding poison apples anywhere. I only know they exist because one of the Dark Brotherhood quests gives you one.

Not that Oblivion doesn't have stuff that trolls you though. I remember one quest involves a village where everybody has turned invisible. You're told to go visit a local wizard in some fort because its his fault. Now as soon as you reach this fort you're thinking its a dungeon you have to go through to find the wizard, because that's how basically every quest in the game works. Well no, going into the dungeon is completely pointless. You better have been paying attention to the audio because right when you get to the fort, the wizard will shout at you to leave. Turns out he's right outside, he's just invisible (duh) so he's hard to find. Completing the quest is actually really easy, but you're probably gonna waste tons of time in the fort looking for the old bastard anyways.

Oh and your reward for saving the village? Free stays at an inn you'll never come to again :geno:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

death .cab for qt posted:

The Candle Maiden in Demon's Souls.

In DeS, you can buff up your stats only by talking to the Candle Maiden, who can never really die. You can test out your weapons on her, and see how much damage you do. She always respawns.

Dark Souls 1 didnt have a candle maiden equivalent, but Dark Souls 2 does, the Emerald Maiden. She is the only way to level up.

If you think, like in DeS, that you can just kill her like the Candle Maiden, she dies and can only be revived by paying an amount of souls each time you want to level up. Effectively imposing on you a Stupid Tax

I actually fell victim to this. See there's another NPC in the game who is a really weird freak that wants you to go around killing other NPCs, showing them items from their corpse as proof of doing this. This guy sells a lot of unique equipment that you can't get elsewhere though, so you want to complete his quest. With most of the NPCs its not hard to get the item that he wants so you don't have to kill them, or you kill them anyways since you don't care about them. The last item he wants is the Maiden's feather though, and she literally never mentioned the feather so I had no clue how to get it from her. Now due to a series of misunderstandings I thought using a certain item would respawn NPCs (it does not), so I went ahead and killed her anyways for the feather. It was a pretty dumb decision, but what made me feel REALLY dumb was that I found out the Maiden randomly shows up in the very next area and gives you the feather for free there. So if I had just been slightly patient I would of gotten everything I needed easily, instead of loving up my only source of leveling. :downsgun:

There's an even better troll with that guy though. On the opposite side of the room from him is a mysterious lever. In front of the lever is about a dozen messages saying "TURN BACK!", and unlike most messages you see these are from the developers and always show up. The developers do not mislead the player in their messages, so obviously pulling the lever is bad news. If you're a huge idiot and think its just reverse psychology, you'll run up and pull it anyways. Your reward is unleashing the psychopath who then spends the rest of the game harassing you by randomly invading your world in almost every area! :bravo:

Internet Kraken has a new favorite as of 04:55 on Apr 26, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Speaking of Earthbound has that come up in this thread yet? Cause despite how much I love Earthbound, that is seriously one of the worst places in any game and is clearly meant to annoy the gently caress out of the player.

EDIT: Was referring to the Monkey Cave, somehow didn't write that in the original post like a dumbass.

Internet Kraken has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Apr 30, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Xad posted:

Uh, which place? Moonside? I always found that place hilariously weird.

Wow I'm an idiot and somehow wrote that post without mentioning the thing I was talking about :downs:

I was referring to the Monkey Cave, which just seems like a huge "gently caress YOU" to the player. Its a dungeon filled with low level but annoying enemies that just waste your time. However, each door to progress is guarded by a monkey. The monkeys all want different obscure items before they will let you pass them. In most games this would only be slightly irritating, but Earthbound has a TERRIBLE inventory system. Each character can only hold a small number of items and key items take up inventory spaces as well. So there's no way you're gonna be hoarding all the stuff the monkeys want. You can actually get most of the stuff in the cave by trading with the monkeys, but that involves finding the right ones and running across the cave over and over. And then when you finally get to the end, there's a blockade you need a key item to pass. A ley item you probably put in storage because it hadn't been used in ages and was taking up space.

Oh, and during all this it plays one of the most obnoxious songs I've heard in a game.

Pixeltendo posted:

My favorite Earthbound troll is the Apple kid and Orange Kid, there's a giant pencil statue you need to have erased by one of the kids, if you pay for the overpriced Orange kids solution he just takes your money and fucks off.

Not entirely. If you invest in him over the coure of the game he will give you periodic updates on the status of his latest invention, the egg unboiler. He's really close to getting it finished. Its gonna be great, just you wait :shepface:

Internet Kraken has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Apr 30, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm still not sure if Molyneux is just a really good conman or is delusional enough to actually believe the stuff he promises. Ironically he may be trolling himself.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Lord Lambeth posted:

I don't get why people get so angry about early access games but on the few early access games I have bought I haven't really gotten burned. I'll be over here with my prison architect and kerbal space program, thank you.

Its because a lot of early access games completely fail to live up to their promises or in some cases outright fall apart. Starbound has been in development for ages and the devs have changed huge portions of the game from what was originally promised, much to the ire of many fans. Then you have games like the Stomping Ground where the devs basically took the money they got from it and ran, completely abandoning the project entirely.

Personally I haven't participated in EA much because I like playing games when they are complete. The only EA game I've bought is Darkest Dungeon, and that's because the devs released a good chunk of the game that is stable and well made.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

swamp waste posted:

I kind of feel the opposite. Some of the opaque under-the-hood stuff in those old games didn't work right but I had no way of knowing or caring about that at the time. Elder Scrolls has completely visible, narrative, cause-and-effect stuff failing to work which is way more noticeable and frustrating.

No you just didn't notice the problems because you were a dumb kid like the rest of us. Gen 1 of Pokemon was a complete mess.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You shouldn't expect much from most EA games but its not unreasonable for people to be upset when developers completely give up on a project and run off with the money.

I don't see what's so hard to understand about this.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
DNF tried to mock a lot of modern FPS mechanics even thought it embraced pretty much all of them. Its kind of pitiful.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Gamma Nerd posted:

Also, speaking of KI:U, the Hades troll isn't the worst thing the game pulls. There's two whole levels based around loving with the player's brain (5 and 21), with optical illusions and color inversion and other weird poo poo. gently caress I love that game :allears:

There's also an enemy in KI:U that plays an INCREDIBLY obnoxious little song anytime its on the screen. At least, I think that's how it works. I don't actually know since I didn't play the game. However my little brother did and from just hearing him playing it I know those enemies pop up all the drat time in some places. An endless symphony of high pitched beeping I couldn't escape from because I was stuck in a car with him.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I have no idea why he even has health in the first place. You'd think he would just be immortal.

A real troll would be getting the message "Mehrunes Dagon is unconcious.".

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
That reminds me, I once watched my little brother get trolled by an NPC in Xenoblade. One area in the game is a village built on a huge tree, and at the very top of that tree there's one NPC hanging out on a random branch. You can't just walk onto the branch though. The only way to get on it is to jump up but the way jumping works combined with the hit detection on the branch makes it extremely easy to miss the jump and fall 200 feet to your death. So I watched him spend like 10 minutes trying to get onto the branch just to see if the NPC had something interesting, cause obviously they have too if they're in such an obscure place right?

The NPC just says "Hey be careful! You don't want to fall off from all the way up here! :ohdear:".

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah I get the theory behind level scaling but when you apply it to almost every enemy in the game it gets ridiculous and takes away the sense of progress you would normally get. They seemed to have learned from that mistake though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

WebDog posted:

Morrowind/Oblivion was of the idea you level up from using commonly used skills. However this meant you either didn't level because you didn't use enough skills or if you focused towards trade and speech craft you soon realized you can't quite bargain with a bandit in glass armor.

Morrowind at least had a difficulty slider built in so you were able to adjust the challenge on the fly. A friend of mine was pleased to find that as he'd become insanely overpowered.

Oblivion has a difficulty slider as well. I never really touched it though so I have no clue how much influence it has, but it is there.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

gently caress canary mary

3D Rare games contain so many trolls on the player I'm kind of amazed we ever enjoyed them so much.

VVV Haha that's pretty dumb

Internet Kraken has a new favorite as of 00:04 on Oct 15, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can you guys go bitch about Fallout 4 in the threads dedicated to game glitches? Cause those aren't really trolls, they're just Bethesda being incompetent. Its getting old reading about it after several pages.

Aesop Poprock posted:

please elaborate

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Gabriel Pope posted:

Carp weren't even that deadly per se, despite being 5 feet long, swole, and carnivorous. If they were land creatures with the same stats they wouldn't be that bad. But creatures with no swimming skill were completely helpless if they were in water too deep to stand in, so as soon as a carp yanked a dwarf in (easy for them, since they were dwarf sized and hella strong) they were as good as dead.

Yeah water is death for anything that can't swim, and sometimes the AI would decide to leap into the water out of terror/mindless aggression. I lost a fort to that in a convoluted way. It was built over a haunted ocean, so occasionally zombie bluefish would swim under it and spook some dwarves. Not much of an issue, just an annoyance, but if my military caught sight of them while on duty they would dive into the ocean to kill them. Except they couldn't swim, so they'd end up drowning like idiots. After losing dozens of soldiers this way I decided I needed to train them to learn how to swim, so I constructed a training room that would flood with safe water levels.

But one day, the dwarf who was supposed to flip the lever to shut off the water got distracted by a cat or something. I neglected to install a proper safety barricade, so as soon as the training room filled the ocean began pouring into my mines. Tons of water rushed down the stairs, crushing countless dwarves against the walls and trapping others in tiny chambers where they could do nothing but watch the rising tide of their doom. The lever to shut off the water was submerged by this point so nothing could be done to stop the flow. So basically all the miners and haulers died, and suddenly losing so many dwarves so quickly made the survivors go crazy. They ended up killing each other, with the last survivor going berserk and chopping off the baron's head with an axe.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

AlphaKretin posted:

Goddamn it I wish I had the patience to get into Dwarf Fortress. :allears:

E: The troll is making such a cool sounding game that takes such an effort to start playing and probably sounds cooler in description than reality anyway. I want to be wrong about this so please tell me otherwise.

The game is really cool and insane stuff can happen pretty regularly, but I won't pretend its easy to get into. Even if you can tolerate ASCII graphics, the interface is atrociously bad and shows no signs of improving anytime soon. Managing any for with more than a handful of dwarves basically required an outside program that made assigning tasks way easier. The game makes no attempt to explain anything, so you pretty much have to keep a wiki open and look up anything you don't understand. You can play the game for ages and still not understand how all the different mechanics work. And if you do manage to finally get a hold of how the game works, glitches* may occur so stuff doesn't work the way it should anyways.

So I'd describe Dwarf Fortress as being a game you have to work to enjoy at first. Not exactly a ringing endorsement but that's the reality of it. I'm glad I did learn to play since its so unique but I totally understand people not being able to get into it. I haven't played it in like a year, so maybe the most recent version is easier, but I doubt it. More likely Toady has added a bunch of cool stuff but its just as impenetrable as usual.

*Basically any time a new version comes out it will come with a host of horrifying bugs. Sometimes literal ones, like when giant mosquitoes were added but their population had the normal mosquito numbers. This resulted in hordes of hundreds of giant mosquitoes descending upon newly created fortresses and wreaking havoc.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Aesop Poprock posted:

Did they basically end up being like forgotten beasts, except probably schools of them?

They are dangerous because they are massive and feel no pain, which let them easily crush dwarves even while being hacked t pieces in combat. Skeletal whales were a constant bane in my ocean forts. Once I installed a window in the dining room to give my dwarves a view of the ocean while they eat. Some whales managed to break in through the window hole and squash some helpless dwarves before I saw them.

They aren't as dangerous as forgotten beasts though. Forgotten beasts are a massive troll on the player because they are almost entirely random.

All the traits of a forgotten beast are decided upon world generation, and they can be truly absurd. Everything from the body parts of the beast to the blood that courses through its veins is randomly generated. As such, the threat they pose varies wildly. You might see a rabbit shaped beast composed of water that dies the second you poke it with a wooden spear. Or it might be an iron moose with crab claws that bleeds vomit and is nearly impossible to kill. But even the most harmless beast might be able to kill your fort through the dreaded syndrome system.

Syndromes are randomly generated diseases. Maybe you fight a forgotten beast and touching its blood makes your dwarves develop a nasty cough. Or it could breathe clouds of toxic miasma that cause them to bleed from every part of their body in about 3 seconds. You just never know what kind of fun you're gonna get with syndromes! One time I ran into a syndrome that turned an exposed dwarf into a ghoulish zombie creature that was constantly rotting. However, they weren't hostile, so they didn't try to kill any dwarves. The other dwarves didn't want them around though so anytime they saw them they would either run away or try to murder them. So imagine a fortress with about half a dozen zombie hobos living on the outskirts, endlessly spewing miasma from their eternally rotting bodies. Occasionally one would run through the fort and scare the poo poo out of everyone and lead the military on a wild goose chase across the map.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I dunno I think the biggest Paper Mario troll is still when you reunite a newly wed couple, but the husband dropped his ring in the jungle. On top of having to find his ring, you also have to hear him apologize to his wife 100 times.

Really. The game makes you mash through 100 individual dialogue boxes of "I'm sorry".

VVV Paper Mario and TTYD are both really good games, and often when the writers make you endure something annoying it has good humor value. There are just a few moments that stand out as being exceptionally cruel to the player.

Internet Kraken has a new favorite as of 02:16 on Dec 9, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think Super Paper Mario wouldn't get nearly as much flack if the Paper Mario series didn't just die after it was made. Personally I think Super Paper Mario has it moments and I'd never call it bad when Sticker Star exists, which is truly dreadful.

Polaron posted:

What goes on at a game developer that ends with something like this actually making it out the door?

Sometimes developers think its funny to mess with the player, and I guess the people making the Paper Mario games really enjoyed doing it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Paper Mario and Mario&Luigi games are all way better than SMRPG anyways.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
And then when you find him, he's asleep. So you have to jump on him to wake him up. Repeatedly. Like, you have to stomp on him 50+ times or something before he gets up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Somfin posted:

Is that not the obvious solution, though? I mean, like, I start a puzzle like this, I assume that he's either A) in a location which has been quite thoroughly drilled into my head at this point (dude's big on boats, mentions the docks area, docks folks mention him showing up every now and again, he's got a T-shirt saying "Boy I'm looking forward to being found by the player in the docks district later on", etc), B) in a new location which has just now been opened up, or C) You fuckers are just gonna put him in the last possible place that I visit aren't you, haha, well done game designers.

I'm pretty sure you have to backtrack to literally every area. Cause even if you know where he's gonna end up, he won't actually be there until you visit each area in the proper order.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you can't kill someone through the pitiful rate of small healing rock recovery the problem is with you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I guess the troll is on me for this thread turning into another iteration of the DS2 argument.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Noooooooooooo

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
At least the dragon butts came back in Dark Souls 2 as actual finished enemies. The imperfect are pretty horrifying.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mr Toes posted:

I'm just going to leave this one right here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UHpSkfaeHIU

There are plenty of other instances where Cedric the Useless Owl warns you far, far too late, but he really loving shines here.

Is there a single death that can actually be avoided by listening to his warnings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Remembered something this morning; in the Elder Scrolls Oblivion, you can see end game weaponry inside display cases in some of the guild halls. The cases are behind the hardest lock tier in the game, but with enough patience (or a skeleton key) you can manage to open them pretty early. Only once you do open them, you will find that those sweet weapons are actually labeled as replicas and have garbage stats.

I remember spending a lot of time trying to figure get one of those cases open and then being really annoyed that my glass axe was basically a toy.

• Locked thread