Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In a Saints Row 4 DLC you have to get into Santa Claus' workshop, whose doors are blocked by a huge candy cane. You're supposed to go somewhere else and find another way in, but you can lick the candy cane and wear it away. You have to keep pressing the button, the progress bar rises excruciatingly slowly (but noticably), and the mission objective popups openly mock you for doing it this way. It takes about ten minutes, and to top it off the whole thing is accompanied by a brief sample of the most godawful ghastly slurping noises the VAs could manage playing over and over.

But the payoff when you finally get to the end... I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZKxEhcstYA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I gave the HD remake of FFX a shot and thought, I know this Blitzball poo poo now, I'm gonna clear house. Nope the other team's stats are in a whole other league and eventually I was like "gently caress it, not worth reloading a save."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dr_Amazing posted:

Didn't one of the Final Fantasy games have super powerful weapons that only appeared if you didn't open certain chests at earlier points in the game?
The infamous Zodiac Spear from FFXII, yes. Additional developer troll: one of those chests you can't open is found in an area with 16 chests and is apparently a random one of those, so you can't open any of them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Kojima's on record as saying he utterly, utterly hated Metal Gear Solid 4 and just wanted Solid Snake's Story (:haw:) to be over.
That's one hell of a coincidence because I felt the exact same way about it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

jadebullet posted:

I forgot about the Honey Bee Inn segment. That part would be even more awkward with modern HD graphics.
I never cared much for a potential FFVII remake, but now I really want to see Cloud in his costume, stepping out of the fitting stall in sparkly super-detailed character model cutscene mode.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

There's also the part where you first play as Poo. You have to pass your training by meditating, which is completely counter-intuitive and fourth-wall breaking in that it means ignoring characters instructing you to do things and instead just stand still for like a minute.
And what about the scene in Final Fantasy IV where you have to not fight to win a battle? But it takes place inside the battle screen and all. You do nothing but fight for the entire rest of the game. Just confusing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Or those mushrooms in Super Mario Bros. 2 (the Japanese one) that kill you but look almost exactly like the regular ones - Dick. Move.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dabir posted:

Final Fantasy 9 has a great secret weapon. The ultimate sword, Excalibur 2, can only be found by searching a specific pillar in the penultimate dungeon - but only if you got there in less than 12 hours, which is reasonable. Now here's the thing, because of the framerate difference between PAL and NTSC, in the PAL version you actually have quite a bit less time to get there and get it. It's incredibly difficulty to do without missing any treasure - and there's another key item that requires you to not miss any treasure to get it.
I think you actually have to skip cutscenes to do it. And because it's a PS1 game you can only skip cutscenes by opening and closing the PS1's lid. If you're playing it today on PS3 or whatever, you're hosed.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

I never cared much for a potential FFVII remake, but now I really want to see Cloud in his costume, stepping out of the fitting stall in sparkly super-detailed character model cutscene mode.
I BELIEVE

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Why wouldn't they just leave it off the loot table?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Robert Paulson, I think you'll find.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Erebus posted:

If you type cusses into Simcity 2000 the game realizes you need Jesus and decides to help
If you tried to enter swear words as your name in Uniracers/Unirally for the SNES it would reject them with a "NOT COOL ENOUGH" message. It did the same thing for "Sonic" and "Sega."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's one hell of a hair trigger pressure plate.

e: then again, Prince of Persia

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Jan 28, 2016

• Locked thread