Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Metal Gear Solid 2. Also Dark Souls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

Regarding discussion of difficult to win battles that don't matter, I'm reminded of the intro to blitzball in Final Fantasy X. Blitzball's basically underwater rugby, and the first time you play it is mandatory, but you're against a team that at the time is MUCH better than you. It's EXTREMELY hard to beat them, but not impossible. This is the only mandatory time you have to play the game. If you lose, the game plays on as normal, as it expect you to. If you win, your main character gets this trophy he carries through the rest of the game, that actively effects nothing. That's the only real difference. I won't admit how many hours I spent getting good at Blitzball.

A different type of troll that comes to mind is in Metal Gear Solid 3. That game takes place chronologically before the rest of the series. There's a character, Revolver Ocelot, that is important in the series, and early in 3 you get in a fight with him. If you defeat him using lethal methods (which nothing tells you you can't at the time), you get a game over, and the screen says "A time paradox was created."

I haven't played either of these games but I am 100% okay with these trolls. Both of these are fantastic. :allears:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I don't get why people get so angry about early access games but on the few early access games I have bought I haven't really gotten burned. I'll be over here with my prison architect and kerbal space program, thank you.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

It might make more sense for console games, which aren't constantly getting patched. I'm playing through Bayonetta right now and the amazing guide book is crazy bonkers expensive. I guess that is a video game troll.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

This one's more of a troll from the developers to another company. The recently released game Chroma Squad is about stunt actors from sentai action shows (like Power Rangers). They fight mudmen and transform into colorful superheroes after posing and shouting a catch phrase, and during big battles they will summon a giant robot to duke it out in the streets. The party gets instruction from a giant brain in a glass tube and you get points in the way of audience members, and they appreciate it when you end the episode with a special move very much like the most entries in the sentai genre.

The company Saban owns the rights to the Power Rangers, and when they heard about this game being developed they sent lawyers to make sure the Power Rangers was being properly credited. Even though Power Rangers is only one example of a large genre, and that the game is much more about the production of a sentai show than being a Power Rangers game.

Anyway, from what I understand the developers acquiesced to Saban's requests, which were a small cut of the profits and a mention of them in the game's... marketing? Signage? If you look any where for Chroma Squad, you'll see a little "Inspired by Saban's Power Rangers" in small print nearby. It's even on the title page.

I just played right through The Wonderful 101 and saw nary a mention of Saban. Of course, Nintendo probably has pretty good lawyers.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Buying early access is like buying something in the hopes it will become better but sometimes it doesn't and you get sad and/or angry about it.

it is a complicated metaphor

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 17:29 on May 6, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I also enjoyed Stacking

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Crafting will make stronger items than you can ever buy.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I hate that you can't change you specialization in Inquisition once you select it. I was locked into Necromancer(the weakest of the mage specs) and the entire endgame was no fun.

edit: in regards to crafting, I consider Inquisition and more a pretty princess generator. :v: I like crafting because it gets me cool looking clothes. Same reason I like guild wars, basically.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I never liked the vanguard all that much, I played a sentinel in ME2 and a Engineer in ME3. :shrug: The sentinel's armor in ME2 basically made you impossible to kill.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I will admit while vanguard in the story bored me, vanguard in multiplayer was the best. Until the new aliens came out anyway.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I dunno those sound like separate but equally valid complaints.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Scholar of The First Sin is pretty incredible but also fractured the playerbase between those who did and did not buy the upgrade.

Maybe From will do online better come Dark Souls 3 but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

f#a# posted:

Yeah, Witcher 3 looks better, mostly due to all the post-processing effects (sharpening, chromatic aberration, vignetting, more taxing anti-aliasing on trees) going on. MGSV was striving for a more simplified style so you can get a quick read of a situation or setting, which largely works, but The Witcher is a more slow-paced affair, and the graphics there have been tweaked accordingly for a more painterly style. HairWorks and noodle-hair was a huge mistake though; it looks way better off.

The real Witcher 3 troll is the fact that there are like 12 discernible music tracks in a game with 100+ hours of content. I mean, what the hell.

I thought the hairworks looked alright, at least compared to the tressfx that came out with Tomb Raider a year or two previous.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Useless posted:

IIRC the biggest problem with Oblivion's levelling wasn't due to the enemy scaling itself, but how the scaling worked.

So all (modern) Elder Scrolls games have a levelling system where you level individual skills by using them, and once you hit a certain amount of skill level-ups you progress to the next character level. There were a large amount of skills in Oblivion - and a lot of them were things like alchemy, or armorer, or athletics. Skills that you could, with the right merchant-purchased ingredients, level quickly without ever entering combat.

The big levelling fix between Oblivion and Skyrim was that in Skyrim you could be level 60 and still encounter trash enemies - in areas close to starting cities you'd still be fighting level 5 bandits. Oblivion, on the other hand, tried to scale most all encounters by level, regardless of context. That meant that someone who got to level 20 through mostly combat-less skills could leave town, immediately encounter a level 20 bandit with high-level gear, and almost certainly die. If you didn't have the foresight to focus on a combat skill (and always make sure to level this combat skill with the others you had), you could find yourself stuck in a story quest completely out-classed and hosed.

I loved Oblivion at the time, but drat that game has flaws.

You could also make something like swordfighting a minor skill while having lockpicking as a major. You would level up sword fighting and rush out to meet punkass bandits because the level scaling was based on the major skill, not the minor.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

My list of "Level Scaling Done Right" probably amounts to New Vegas and Witcher 3. And even those games had problems.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Nuebot posted:

As much fun as New Vegas was, obsidian had a hard-on for doing that in the DLC. There's an interview someone linked to in the fallout 4 topic where one of the developers talked about designing the Old World Blues expansion specifically to gently caress with people who liked to play as snipers. If I had to guess I'd say it was less about "forcing you to play a certain way" and more trying to get people who rigidly play one way to expand their playstyle, but it wound up coming across as the former because that's kind of what happens when you impose your will on the people playing an otherwise open game.

Chris Avellone was lead designer on Dead Money and Old World Blues, so you can thank him.

Radio Help posted:

To be fair, that's your code name. The name you pick shows up in a few emails here and there.

I think I saw it in a newspaper once. Not sure if that was vanilla or a mod thing though.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

People would argue that the hints are in the level design and enemy placement, but whatever.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I see nothing wrong with that translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Snip: know what I misread what was said.

• Locked thread