Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Deltasquid posted:

Metal Gear Solid. The part where you have to use this key to disarm nukes or silly nonsense like that, and it has to change shapes by making it really cold and really warm. You basically run back to the freezer halfway disc 2, back to the end of the control room, back to the start of disc 2 to get to the forge, then back to the control room. Approximately 10-15 minutes of running around, possibly more if you forget about those dumb trap doors or that room filled with a hundred wall-mounted guns or so, or if the key changes back to its neutral state because you were too slow.

Then when you finally do it, you discover you activated the very thing you wanted to deactivate. Hope you're ready for a boss fight! loving Kojima.

Fun Fact: If you're paying close attention, the thermally sensitive key does in fact change in those regions long before it's revealed that it should, but you'll never think to look at it at that time and notice. All the foreshadowing and double-backing the plot does is actually there in that game if you look for it, all of it. It's just presented in a very ingenious way as to make you not expect it on your first trip through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I doubt the FFIV one is a SA reference. Goon is a pretty long-standing word synonymous with "lackey" or "henchmen".

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Slime posted:

When I got to this part, I alt+F4'd out because I assumed something had hosed up. I knew the joke of Jimmy taking forever to talk, but I thought they surely couldn't keep it going for THAT long. I was so wrong.

I've never played the game, but I'm not going to lie, I laughed at the video. Especially when he technically says the word, but stutters in text, leaving off the very end of it, and starts over.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

Also on a paper mario note: I recall at the end of Thousand Year Door, halfway through the final boss fight, the boss gives you one of those non-choice "come on, join me" sorts of choices. Only you can choose to side with them. The game will prompt you with are "are you serious?" to which hitting yes will give you a game over, leaving you to reload your game and redo the first part of the boss.

I want to say there's another one of those sorts dialog choices in Paper Mario. I love when developers let you say "no" to the "but thou must" question.

I'm presently slowly LPing Gargoyle's Quest for the Game Boy, and the game is full of "but thou must" questions. I learned for the first time while going through for the LP (Despite having played the game for over 20 years) that one of them in the middle, which is a completely banal question about the game's lore, can actually screw you out of progress in the game.

To make matters worse, at the end of the game, the final boss asks you to join him before you fight him, and if you accept, he says it's a trick, and then depowers you, forcing you to fight him with your abilities limited to the starting level. It's possible to win that way, but it's MUCH harder.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Regarding discussion of difficult to win battles that don't matter, I'm reminded of the intro to blitzball in Final Fantasy X. Blitzball's basically underwater rugby, and the first time you play it is mandatory, but you're against a team that at the time is MUCH better than you. It's EXTREMELY hard to beat them, but not impossible. This is the only mandatory time you have to play the game. If you lose, the game plays on as normal, as it expect you to. If you win, your main character gets this trophy he carries through the rest of the game, that actively effects nothing. That's the only real difference. I won't admit how many hours I spent getting good at Blitzball.

A different type of troll that comes to mind is in Metal Gear Solid 3. That game takes place chronologically before the rest of the series. There's a character, Revolver Ocelot, that is important in the series, and early in 3 you get in a fight with him. If you defeat him using lethal methods (which nothing tells you you can't at the time), you get a game over, and the screen says "A time paradox was created."

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Once you actually get good at Blitzball, it's actually a pretty fun waste of time. The key is that your guys still can gain abilities/level up in practice games, and the other teams can't. So you keep pushing that boulder up the hill and eventually you get good. The game gets absurd when you unlock Jecht Shot 2, which knocks out THREE opponents automatically, while still being one of the highest valued special shots in the game. After a while I would start playing things like seeing if I could manage 10 points before the end of the game.

Edit: VVVV Ah, that's right, but still, if you carefully choose your exhibition games right, you can have a powerhouse team that absolutely steamrollers the competition in the games that count.

Choco1980 has a new favorite as of 22:26 on Mar 18, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Jibo posted:

Speaking of which. How about that red and white barrel.

The barrel is pretty much the textbook of bad intuitive game design. Up until That Barrel, all the other red and white barrels would have you able to progress by simply bouncing on them with the small (yet increasing to a limited extent) amount of springy give they have, leading you to believe they're just trampolines or springs mechanically. Then you get to the one where you have to manually press up and down in time to move it, and you start jumping on it and nothing happens. You ask your friend at school who got past that how, and they just say "oh you just use it to go up and down like on all the barrels" and you're left with still no clue what you're doing wrong, because there is literally no point in the entire franchise before that barrel where you do something like that, and the only tutorial was the previous barrels that you could just as easily bypass by jumping on them like springs.

SirPhoebos posted:

Never had trouble with it. git gud, scrub :smuggo:

I forget, has anyone mentioned switching to Raiden in MGS2?

I love how at the beginning of MGS3 they double-troll you by first asking you some 4th wall breaking questions to set up the feel of the game. One of them is asking which of the two prior MGS games you liked better. If you say you liked 2 more (and I did. The story is pretty much where Kojima stopped trying to pretend to make sense, but mechanically it's superior) the intro stage starts with Snake wearing a Raiden mask that he's told to take off after a minute.

One I just thought of tonight was on the Sega CD Jurassic Park game. It's a first person perspective point and click adventure, that takes place after the movie. Anyways, at one point you have the option of using a heavy rock you have in your inventory on the main computers for the park. For deciding to go full caveman on the dinosaurs, you blow up the island. Game Over.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Even when Kojima's being a dick, he puts effort into things which is the funniest part of it. The whole thing about the Raiden look-alike in MGS3 being the General's gay lover has it so you're found out when he grabs you in the groin iirc and realizes you aren't him. However, one of the (many) things you can do to gently caress with him later during the big 1-on-1 boss battle is throw the Raiden mask back on. He'll stop for a second and be all "Wait, what??" cause you look like the man he loves.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Shwqa posted:

The AI knows that if your main character Ramza dies then it wins. So it will target him more often than other characters.

This seems less Trollish, and more standard "checkmate"-mentality associated with tactic battlers. Look at any Shining Force or Fire Emblem game to see the same thing happening.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, word has it that the head of Konami is pushing hard for Japan to become more gambling-centric, where the serious electronics money is.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Not to mention that's far from the worst thing done in the name of Godus.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, Square really screwed the pooch with that FFIX guide. I was in my first year living in college at the time, and my room didn't have a computer in it. I had to go walk all the way across campus and down to the library if I wanted to look anything up for the game, and there were also zero illustrations on their online guide as well. They corrected the mistake with X and went back to the old ways of just having a comprehensive colorful book.

My FFVII guide book was funny because it was based on a beta of the game, and had a handful of errors in it. Like it still included the Test-0 dogs down in the Corel Prison well, and had different rewards for Ruby and Emerald.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I think my worst guide I ever bought was the Prima book for Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete. All the maps were hand drawn and only vaguely correct (including enemy placement). Like, it was painfully obvious they couldn't get the rights to print any images from the game in the book. It was awful.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Hey man, don't knock Worlds Of Power, those books were great. in third grade Ninja Gaiden is the first book I read cover to cover. I always regret I never got the Metal Gear one, I always wondered how crazy it would end up being. Castlevania II was the weirdest one though, where the story has this schoolkid who plays a lot of Nintendo and is hooked on chocolate getting sucked into the game and fighting alongside Simon Belmont, where they're also plagued by the Seven Deadly Sins as well as the game's plot.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

My experience with Japanese adventure games is that every status effect is completely loving worthless in every game.

Yeah, JRPGs kinda made it so that every time I encounter a status effecting offense usable in a game it feels really weird when it actually works against enemies.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Final Fantasy 2 is a game few people understand.

In the NES version, equipment gave your characters massive penalties to the magic stats, but only for hit chances. Basic things like Fire and Cure would work perfectly, but things that could miss like Sleep or Toad or Life would fail miserably if you had, well, pretty much any equipment on. Even the stuff you'd think you should give your casters, like bows or staves, had like -50 and -70 point penalties on stats that start at 10, and it wasn't until the 4th to last dungeon that you got any armor that didn't wreck your magic stats, and weapons were just straight out. Literally nothing in the game tells you this and it's easy to think that nondamage spells suck. Thankfully, every version since then just excised this system entirely.

Never mind that people still think that they're gaming the system when they have characters hit themselves in an attempt to exploit the game's weird stat increasing system, but that's a problem of people not really knowing how FF2's rules work, and not knowing this won't come back to bite them until the final dungeon.

To roll it back full circle, if FF2 had come out in the US originally, it would have changed everything re: assumed effectiveness of statuses in RPGs. In the first game, they didn't work because they were broken all to hell. In the second game there are very few enemies they don't work on if your stats are half-way decent (ie keep your black mage naked). And there's a lot of OHKO status spells. IIRC you can even cheese a lot of the bosses with them.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

There isn't a non-undead boss in the game that can't be killed by Level 5 Death. :getin:

Except you know, all the ones that are. This post is crazy talk, only like, half the bosses at most can be taken down by Level 5 Death.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Petrify (as Break) was god in FF8 because it would end a fight as if you'd run (without giving you any XP as long as you did no damage). This applied to several story fights that you can't run from - unfortunately, it applies to the fight to get into Lunatic Pandora, meaning that if you end the fight with Break on the guards, it counts as having fled, and you have to go to the next point and fight properly (or reload, because you just screwed up your path).

Which points out the key troll in 8--which is to say that monsters level up concurrently with you, making grinding effectively useless. You can game the system though, because they base the monster numbers on the average of all the player characters' levels, so you can just keep half of them out of all battles in the game while grinding the other half to max, and by end game you'll have the one party that's at level 99 while the monsters are still at level 50. But that's still a terrible plan.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Skaw posted:

I really wouldn't say it was a key troll, just mechanics oversight. It was an attempt to keep bosses challenging and also reduce level grinding. The problem also came from the fact that very few people really utilized Junction and a good portion that did were absolutely mortified to cast any spells at all because they were min-maxing autists. If boss levels were kept low you could get by on just brute force physical-only damage mashing the confirm button nonstop. But if you leveled you absolutely needed to junction elements/statuses accordingly to keep bosses from just running you through.

Leveling also sort of reduced the heavy lean on Drawing magic by unlocking the refinement abilities, allowing you to turn all those monster drops in to common spells for junctioning, which is why people who were terrified of using their magic reserves in that game are really weird. You could replenish your curing magic to bump your HP back up to max after each battle.

I dunno, the fact that they made junctioning tie your magic spell reserves directly into your stats, making them go down with use made it pretty easy to draw the conclusion that using magic was actually a bad thing, as it meant having your stats take hits in order to use them. It's not so much a min-max autist thing as it is yet another reason why that game was ridiculously broken. Up until that point, leveling up=git gud=guys don't hit as hard. Now in FF8 they ask you to instead make it so the magic you grab is how you get stronger, but you should use it anyways, and it just doesn't match up with the mindset of "stronger=better".

Dr Pepper posted:

There are methods to modify the "Level" stat in FF5, which is used as an attack multiplier.

It's possible to always make the enemy a level divisible by 5, because the cap for the in battle level stat is 255.

Which are incredibly complicated and long methods that require a lot of outside math, and also do you really want to max out your enemies just to use a single move on them when it'd be easier to just fight them legit?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Skaw posted:

While I agree it's not really clear in the tutorial and all, the amount that casting a few spells per battle decreases stats is really minimal. Especially since you can hit 9999 HP well before having 100 of the best cure spell. Refining M-Stones or Pieces will immediately cap those back out. The only spells you should really ignore casting are status effects you have junctioned, as percent-chance to apply on hit is a 1:1 ratio based on reserves. I'm not sure if you can reach 255 in attributes with the high tier magics though, but even then casting 3 or 4 per fight isn't going to ding you a whole lot.

But well, I guess the REAL troll is that in-game tutorials were really horrible in the 90s. Especially when it came to basically required complex systems and mechanics.

The poorly translated tutorial doesn't help much yes, but I guess my point is that this game comes during a time when for years games had been encouraging players to hoard all collectables. It's a significant departure from the ingrained patterns that it pretends to have.

Also, I'll still not ever be fully convinced that the level scaling wasn't at least partially mean-spirited if for no other reason than the fact that the home-base included the "Training Center" location where you could go fight monsters to your heart's content--right at the beginning of the game. That's basically gently leading people new to the game by the hand right to the pit, then shoving them in head first.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Sounds like Final Fantasy 2... sucks.

It really, really does, and I kinda like the game. You can see the good game it was trying to be poke out in lots of places, but at the end of the day it's a tangled, broken mess that explains itself not at all.

There's an LP going on right now where two guys that are cousins have taken it upon themselves to play the whole Final Fantasy series in order, which is fun because a lot of the games they're going in like, 98% blind for. They're currently almost half way through part 2 and their naivete that this will be fun has already been shattered into pieces by this game.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Doc Morbid posted:

The difficulty in Driver was broken in general. I believe the lead designer of that game is on record saying that the last few missions weren't playtested at all, and I think the "tutorial" might have been added late in development.

Of course, the same developers went on to make Stuntman, which is probably even harder but at least your two hundred attempts to beat a level in that game don't last more than a couple of minutes each.

I remember I used to do the freeplay mode on that where you could just drive effing around and it makes you realize just how awful the police AI is. If you see a cop car, you better freeze your rear end and hope none of the other less-than-stellar AI bump into you, or else suddenly all the police in town will hunt you down.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I think my favorite goofy thing about the first Driver (I never played the sequels) was the way the hubcaps would just fly off at the slightest turn.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, if you want to enjoy your Playstation 1 games today, use an emulator to run the discs on your computer. You'll get much better graphic processing. I seem to recall there's a few games from the end of the system's run that flat-out overload native hardware graphics and look a mess. (FFIX for example)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I wouldn't count that as a "troll", but at the same time, I absolutely love when games take pointless pot shots at the competition like that, like how Duke Nukem 3D had various FPS protagonists' corpses hidden throughout the game.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Wasn't this already a level in the first Driver? I seem to explicitly remember it as part of their bonus missions crafted after famous movie car chases (The French Connection in this case)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I know the Doom space marine was in there, but were there others?

As said, the quake guy's there, as is the guy from Heretic/Hexen, and if you do some serious searching you can find Kyle Katarn from the Dark Forces games. All dead.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Literally The Worst posted:

Christ, I would love a real guide for FFIX. I would not however pay a hundred and thirty bucks for a hardcover prima guide, because I like good things, and not punching myself in the dick.

Seriously. If the guide had been written well and to the standards of other guides, then for example, the Nero family subquest on disc 4 wouldn't have taken over a decade to be officially "discovered". The Neros are those hooded pig things that are part of the Tantalus crew, and a sidequest suddenly opens up towards the end game where more and more of their siblings keep showing up if you keep going all the way back to them after each major battle or event during the end game, culminating in a total of 10 members, which makes a chest appear with a Protect Ring in it. I'm sure lots of individuals discovered this back in the day, but it was pretty much virtually unknown in any sort of English Language guide until only a couple years ago.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I beat Ozma on disc 2. :smugdog:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

This isn't possible.

Dammit brain, there's FOUR discs to FFIX, not three! Regardless, my point was I beat it at the earliest possible point in the game. To be fair it took like, 35 tries, and I got lucky in the last one as it kept throwing full cures on me instead of itself, but still.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Considering Galamoth is the big bad in the balls-hard Kid Dracula spinoff games, it doesn't really shock me that he's a super hard boss in his guest appearance.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

Not sure if it's been posted yet, but Penance and the Dark Aeons in Final Fantasy X seem like a really big gently caress you to me.

I've never fought it, but basically at the end of FFX you can travel the world fighting Dark Aeons, which are super powerful gimmicky versions of the Aeons you fight throughout the game. Once you've beaten all the Dark Aeons, you get to fight Penance, the ultimate optional boss of the game.

Penance has a staggering 12 million health, and is flanked by two arms respawning arms with 500,000 health each. It absorbs elemental damage, and every time you attack it or it attacks you, an invisible counter ticks up. Once the counter reaches a certain limit, the boss hits everyone for 99,999 health and 999 mana. If you use auto-revive, it'll likely just clobber everyone immediately.

The only way to beat the boss is to pretty much have everyone max out the sphere grids and have their ultimate weapons so they deal 99,999 damage on each attack, and use Tidus and Wakka for their multi-hit overdrive attacks, and then have Rikku abuse her mix ability to make everyone invincible.

The battle lasts about half an hour if performed perfectly, and your reward for beating Penance?

Nothing.

No powerful gear, no rare items (except some spheres from the arms), no titles, not even a cutscene.

Nothing acknowledges that you've beaten this boss.

gently caress you.

*Not featured in the original PS2 NTSC release.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Soul Reaver posted:

You also forgot that (obviously) you have to beat Penance before finishing the game. If you're in a state where you can beat Penance, the entire rest of the game can be played with your eyes closed and your hands tied behind your back. You'll have these big 'dramatic' cinematics and speeches and big boss entrances, things that the whole hugely long game has been setting up for the entire time, only to end the 'epic' battle in one regular weapon hit with one of your dudes.

It totally breaks the game and the narrative, pretty much.

This is pretty much how even vanilla X went for me, because I wanted to do as close to 100% as I could, so I grinded out getting all the bonus abilities and weapons (except Khimari's. gently caress that butterfly game) and I started doing the monster hunter game. The whole little monster hunter thing is designed to trap completionists. Basically there's this dude running a little stall in the Calm Lands who asks you to go hunt monsters for him and sells you weapons capable of capturing monsters if they're used for the last blow. As you collect monsters for him, his bounties keep rising, and eventually he starts using the monsters to make stronger monsters you can fight, resulting eventually in super bosses. These don't effect the plot whatsoever, but they're MUCH harder than the regular enemies in the game. The first time I tried one I pretty much immediately got trashed to the floor, turned around and never looked back, and completely chumped the final boss afterwards in like, two turns. HOWEVER, if you get far enough in the subquest, the guy eventually starts selling skillspheres that allow you to A. erase what a spot on the grid does, and then ones that B. allow you to customize what stat gets put there. In essence, completely nullifying your leveling up, yet at the same time allowing you to start over with fully customized, maxed out stats. It's a total nightmare.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I only ever managed to play the demo for Monty Python's Quest of the Holy Grail. I recall it was mostly the frenchman hurling insults at you and you being generally perplexed because the game offered you no way to advance the plot with him--just like the movie. Also, I recall somehow they worked the "would you like to try again from the point where you died" gag into the demo as well.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

Does the relentless, gleeful insanity of Kid Icarus: Uprising's plot count as a troll form the developers?

Level 9 is labeled the final fight with Medusa. It was short but fun, about as long as Star Fox. Every character is chatting constantly. They break the fourth wall. Thanatos, the God of Death, is a clown with a gay lisp. You fight goddamn space pirates. Replay value is sure to come from multiplayer and the customizable difficulty.

A few seconds into the closing credits, Hades, the real villain, rips out of the screen. Turns out you're about 1/3 through the the game. You fight his forces for a level and then the previously unseen Goddess of Nature decides to try to wipe out humanity with gigantic seeds that cause nuclear explosions of vines, so you gotta stop that. One of her servants has a base that looks like a second moon and you gotta do a Death Star trench run.

But then loving aliens invade. They don't talk, so the other gods decide to make up for it by commenting endlessly, including a sun god who acts like Zapp Brannigan.

There's a level where you are trapped in a ring that possesses whoever wears it. At one point a dog grabs it, and the protagonist expresses happiness that he gets to rack up Nintendogs points.

And it gets crazier from there.

I don't understand, are you trying to tell me that this game is bad? Because it sounds amazing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Meh, New Super Mario Bros for the DS pulled the fakeout first so it's not unheard of in a Mario. The final world has like 3 levels then the big castle. You go through and it acts like the end, complete with having the boss be Bowser again (in skeletal form after falling in the lava at the end of world 1) but then psyche! Bowser Jr grabs the princess again and you have the whole rest of the world to struggle through.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, it's quite obvious going through Takeshi's Challenge that it was explicitly designed to make the player mad. They managed to beat it in one of the episodes of Game Center CX and everything about the game is mind-boggling, and nonsensical.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well considering the movie star and director (not as much a radio star I think) also turned around and made the game show that was eventually poorly dubbed and ported to the US as Most Extreme Elimination Challenge, I'd say he's just a world class rear end in a top hat who likes making others jump through humiliating hoops.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

That is absolutely delicious. For a moment I thought I was in the schradenfreude thread

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

pentyne posted:

Being able to abuse/exploit the game to kill Lord British was a hallmark of the series, and when Ultima MMO was first launched there was a public event where Richard Garriot showed up in game as Lord British and an rear end in a top hat decided to attack him and Garriot forgot to turn his "invincible" flag on. I think it made gaming news at the time.

iirc, how it happened (and I only know this from a cracked article) was that they set up the invincibility status by equipping him with an item that granted him unbreakable protection, then surrounded him with bodyguards. So a particularly inventive thief teleported inside the bodyguard cordon, and pickpocketed off of him, immediately teleporting back away. Someone then took the opportunity to assassinate him. Then chaos broke out as a result and panicking, the game mods proceeded to teleport everyone at the event into space, killing them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Nah, the teleporting into space thing was something Sony Online did in Star Wars Galaxies after some fiasco or another.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-biggest-dick-moves-in-history-online-gaming_p3/

Cracked posted:

When their king suddenly burned to death they reacted about as rationally as a combined "video gamer who's been proven wrong" and a "high-level warlock with access to demons" would by summoning hordes of monsters and massacring everyone at the castle. Without guards, the players were able to fight back, triggering a full-scale virtual riot which ended with admins teleporting entire groups of players into space, where the players survived approximately as well as real people from the Middle Ages would have survived in space.

• Locked thread