Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Ryoshi posted:

I loved Super Paper Mario.

Then the devs trolled us all with Sticker Star.

For me it was even worse. I liked the first two games, thought Super was a waste of the IP, then was so excited to hear about Sticker Star because it was going to be the grand return to the actual RPG format from the prior games!

A total New Coke / Coke Classic scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

I want to say there's another one of those sorts dialog choices in Paper Mario. I love when developers let you say "no" to the "but thou must" question.

I don't know about the first one, but in Super Paper Mario you can refuse to help and let the universe crumble into darkness right at the start of the game.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Gestalt Intellect posted:

As funny as these things can be, the false positives are a danger with all of them so I'm not sure they're ea good idea.

Yeah, I remember there being a shitstorm surrounding the PC version of the Ghostbusters game, where some combination of factors would trigger the anti-piracy measure (the invincible chandelier, if memory serves) and people were getting banned from GameFAQs for posting about it even after it was known that legit copies could have the problem.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Ryoshi posted:

This is the most terrible goddamn thing.

I dunno, Count Vlad McNugget there is pretty loving hilarious.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Golden Sun does this too.

For content The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy text adventure game, in order to solve the final puzzle of the game you need one item to win. The trick is it's chosen randomly from one of seven items you had to pick up through the game. The trick is if you are missing ANY of the 7 items it will ask you for one of the items you don't have. At this point you wouldn't be able to get it and would need to start the game over. Text adventures back then we're pretty dicking but that stood out.

And that's all after the Babelfish dispenser bit, where if memory serves if you go step-by-step figuring out what you screwed up in the last iteration the dispenser will be empty on what would be your final, successful attempt.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

Text adventure games of that era were insanely dickish.

I would like to point out that Wishbringer, one of Infocom's few adventure games that were completely logical, did not require a ton of foreknowledge, and could be beaten with a full score after just a few tries, was rated more or less as a children's game by the developers. Let that sink in - if you wanted to play a text adventure game that made any drat sense whatsoever, you had to buy from the "kiddie games" rack alongside Reader Rabbit and Math Blasters. Don't get me wrong - I love a good puzzle. I love a good hard puzzle, and I can even tolerate puzzles that sort of make sense after solving them. But so many puzzles of the text adventure era only made marginal sense after solving them, at best, and made no sense as a line from start-to-finish, because they were designed in entirely the opposite direction.

I won't even get into the point-and-click games of the era, other than to say that in the days before GameFAQs, the sole determining factor of whether or not I bought a Sierra / Dynamix game was whether or not the store carried the hintbook because of the sheer number of ways you could die/lose and not have any idea why - I think Willy Beamish was the first game I ever played that used the gimmick where succeeding at a certain task gave you the exact same cutscene as failing, up until the point where it changed to let you know you had, in fact, succeeded.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

The first Suikoden had an example like that. One of your party members stays behind to delay the enemy vanguard and you use him in a fight - his stats completely dependent on the equipment you've given him and the level he had. If you lose that battle the game continues but he's executed, whereas if you win the beaten enemy is weaker in a later fight and you're one step closer to the "best" ending.

You talking about Pahn? I'd thought the first time I played it that you were supposed to lose the duel where you use him instead of the main character, and was totally confounded at the end of the game when he didn't get revived along with Gremio. Then I found out that you're supposed to win the duel and it's only the aforementioned other guy that's allowed to die.

The Moon Monster posted:

Wasn't there some part where you could refuse to put on your space helmet and asphyxiate?

Yup! Right after having gone through the trouble of getting the helmet in the first place because the first time you tried to go to space you nearly died from it.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

There isn't, but that's almost par for the course by now. What probably can be considered a troll though is giving a legendary a healing move. Guess what the box legendaries of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire have? :shepface:

And Primal Groudon has Desloate Land, which causes harsh sunlight - negating all Water-type moves. Rest + removing his most-used weakness = Three attempts, the final successful one requiring four or so Dusk Balls.

Funny enough, you can get more Master Balls in ORAS if you play games on the Pokemon Global Link.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

ScreamingNinja posted:

Holy poo poo. I thought i was the only one. Me and my sister blazed through willy beamish just using our vast 7 year old intelligence up to the point im sure your talking about (something involving a fish tank or hooks or something i think... been a while). We actually convinced my dad to order the loving hint book with that piece of red plastic you need to use to read the hints.

We tried so many times to get through that part even with the hint book and kept getting the cutscene youre talking about and id automatically just load the save game again and try and try until i finally gave up and watched that god forsaken death scene.... only for it to continue past the point where i normally would have died. me and my sister still talk about that bullshit to this day.

The one I was remembering was the scene with the ninja family. If you haven't done everything right up to that point, you get a cutscene where you get jumped in an alleyway (if memory serves)...and if you have done everything right, you get the same cutscene with the same dialogue up until the ninjas show up.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Dr_Amazing posted:

Didn't one of the Final Fantasy games have super powerful weapons that only appeared if you didn't open certain chests at earlier points in the game?

FF12's infamous Zodiac Spear. EDIT: Oh poo poo, you not only can't open those four chests, you have to make sure no one in your party has the "get better items from chests" item equipped.

Captain Monkey posted:

Chrono Trigger did in a way. It was awesome to figure out back before I read guides.

But the ones in Chrono Trigger had a cool way of getting them - go to the chest in an earlier year (600?), refuse to open it, go a later time (the "present", wasn't it? 1000 or something?), then open it to get the powered-up version of the weapon...then break the laws of time and go back and get the lower-tier version too.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

Once you actually get good at Blitzball, it's actually a pretty fun waste of time. The key is that your guys still can gain abilities/level up in practice games

You can only learn abilities in exhibition games - no experience. Which means that if you aren't already at the right level to learn the ability, you have zero chance to learn it because you can't level.

On the other hand, starting an exhibition game and immediately forfeiting it still runs down the clock on other teams' contracts, so if you're trying to sign that one Al Bhed...

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Pile of Kittens posted:

Yeah, I had a similar reaction. "Isn't this supposed to be a war-ravaged near-apocalyptic scenario? Who has time for this poo poo?" and I never played Blitzball again.

There's a constant theme through the game of the world simply pretending that bad things don't exist, and the people who cut through the bullshit and admit it are considered the heretics. The church of Yevon makes sure that the people are kept in placid loyalty with with enough armed protection to keep them alive and enough entertainment to not think about the armed protection. I mean, consider that literally everyone in the party other than Tidus knows that summoners die after summoning the Final Aeon, and the reason everyone gives for never having said so is more or less "it was kinder to not think about it". That's pretty much Yevon's entire purpose in the world - let everyone live in that "kinder" state so that no one realizes that the thing that's ravaging the world every so often is the superweapon you committed genocide with so long ago.

If the game had come out a little later, I would swear it was a slam against the US post-9/11 - "it is your patriotic duty to consume and be amused and not think about the war until we tell you to be happy about our victories".

:goonsay:

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's not something people only accused the U.S. of post-9/11.

Never said it was, or that I actually thought the criticisms were US-specific. Was just making an observation about how the timing would have been perfect for it to have been had it come out just a few months later.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Wow, this was the last final fantasy I gave a fair try to and I got maybe halfway or maybe 1% of the way depending on how completionist you are. I didn't get any of that. All I remember about the plot was I think Yuna? Rikki? Some blonde chick had some secret language and you had to unlock individual letters for and then you went from town to town fighting monsters for whatever reason. Beyond that, I remember the main character wore half of several outfits and awkwardly hit on the other girl in the party and then there was blitzball. The only parts of that game I liked were the skill-tree thing they had and Blitzball was fun the one time I knew what I was doing in it. I stopped playing because I got confused about what was going on or where to go and looking it up indicated that I'd have to grind up in some big field before I could beat a thing to advance the story.

Almost all of that revelation comes after the most annoying series of boss fights - probably the set you hadn't been through. It's one of those FF13 moments where it's like "there's no loving story in this game" for twenty or more hours and then all of a sudden they hit you with the actual plot. It's one of the series' worst problems, I think - they've done the whole "real plot" thing in just about every game since 7 (I haven't played 12, so I can't speak to that), hiding the bits that would make most players care from minute one behind a slow slog with little variety.

And yet, I've owned all of them since 7 (even the Collector's Edition of the unplayed 12). Stockholm all up in this bitch (I am the bitch).

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

Some versions of the hardware reset differently than others so the exploit that let that work originally is no longer in effect :waycool:

And the handheld (Nomad, was it?) didn't have a reset button at all.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Ryoshi posted:

I really hope there's an XII HD Remaster.

Oh god...I would still buy it if it comes with customizable camera control. The one thing I could not get past in 12, that made it unplayable to me, was that the "turn camera" input corresponds to "turn world" instead (so, reversed X-axis). I more or less can't function that way because I use the left stick more or less to run "forward" and the right one to change which way "forward" is.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Was Starship Titanic this bad? It's Adams' other adventure game. I don't remember it being as bad, but it was made several years later.

Other than a couple moon logic puzzles (that at least made sense as end-to-start constructions) and one way to lose (the bomb), I don't think it was as bad, as long as you don't count the one game-stagnating bug (something about the parrot or something?)

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Shwqa posted:

The AI knows that if your main character Ramza dies then it wins. So it will target him more often than other characters.

You'd also better loving hope that you have Ramza in a job that gives him a high speed stat (11 or so, wasn't it? high for then in the game without a lot of grinding) for one of the battles because otherwise you will start a fight where you have to protect a guy and he will be killed on the first turn before you can move.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Dr_Amazing posted:

Is this a real game?

Not anymore. :smith:

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Skaw posted:

Status Effects also worked really well, especially with Junction, in FF8. The game even slaps you in the face with this during one of the really early parts. It plainly tells you a monster you need to defeat is weak to sleep, so junction sleep on your weapon to effectively lock it down from doing anything. Really the only status effects that never seem useful against enemies in the Final Fantasy series are Paralyze and Petrify. Stop and Slow are basically the God Kings of statuses, and poison/bio do pretty good passive damage. Death is good early on but definitely removed from most boss weaknesses towards the middle of the series. Still useful against garbage enemies with huge HP pools however, like Behemoths.

Petrify (as Break) was god in FF8 because it would end a fight as if you'd run (without giving you any XP as long as you did no damage). This applied to several story fights that you can't run from - unfortunately, it applies to the fight to get into Lunatic Pandora, meaning that if you end the fight with Break on the guards, it counts as having fled, and you have to go to the next point and fight properly (or reload, because you just screwed up your path).

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

But that's still a terrible plan.

Especially since a good junction and a bunch of time spent drawing or converting cards meant you could have characters with all relevant stats maxed or near max, with exceedingly high HP (maxed if you went to the trouble of making HP up items), etc, all at base level. Which meant all you were doing by leveling was making fights take longer. I think the only mechanic that was tied to a character's level in any way was the SeeD rank tests (and not even the rank itself, just the tests).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Jesus Christ would you just let it go already? It was 2 years ago!

Where the gently caress did you go for HellCopter's pizza? Mongolia, on foot?

• Locked thread