Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I see a lot of talk about overclocking and modding on tech forums. I wanted a thread where we could talk about using our computer equipment within the manufacturer's specification. I really like my ivy core i5 3750 (non K). It serves my needs for running desktop linux really well. I also have a moto g I do not plan to jail break as it provides a completely satisfactory user experience out of the box. Anyone else that is happy using their computing equipment as the manufacturer intended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

i have a non-rooted nexus 5 and nexus 7 and they're grrrrrrreat!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my desktop computer's cpu is capable of a potentially significant overclock but i'm using it at the default settings, op

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
at work i turned my second workstation into an esxi cluster in a box
i passed the onboard sata to a centos vm that does raid and iscsi, but i still needed a boot drive for esxi but there was no other internal sata
so the boot drive is actually connected to an esata bracket and then an esata cables that loops back to esata port on the motherboard

what im trying to say is everything is stock and unmodded but that didn't stop me from sperging out and making something really hacky

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

i have a 3770 op and it suits my needs and then some. my gpu can probably be overclocked but i dont. in fact i might underclock it

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i'm using a mac so the answer is yes

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
my cpu's clock is just right, op

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i had to overclock my battery-powered wall clock today for daylight saving time though :xd:

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

i just buy whatever timb has decided is the proper amount of computing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my bmw is 100% stock and it enrages 22 year old car nerds PUT A TUUUUUUUURBO ON IT DUDE

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

my bmw is 100% stock and it enrages 22 year old car nerds PUT A TUUUUUUUURBO ON IT DUDE

are turn signals considered factory equipment on a bmw?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i went 7 years without a car wreck then i got rear ended 4 times in 18 months when i started driving BMWs

people hate bmw drivers

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

i went 7 years without a car wreck then i got rear ended 4 times in 18 months when i started driving BMWs

people hate bmw drivers

higher price than an acura, lower quality than a honda

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i've only ever owned one car. it was a 1993 honda civic hatchback

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

fart simpson posted:

id believe it. regular maintenance and itll run another 22 years at least.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

fart simpson posted:

i remember that episode of pimp my ride

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

maniacdevnull posted:

id believe it. regular maintenance and itll run another 22 years at least.

i gave it to my sister in 2006 or 2007 and she drove it into the ground and it was scrapped in 2008

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
so is there an actual use case for overclocking or am i just wrong for buying new equipment when it's 5+ years old?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Squinty Applebottom posted:

i just buy whatever timb has decided is the proper amount of computing

this buyt unirocnically

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Phoenixan posted:

so is there an actual use case for overclocking or am i just wrong for buying new equipment when it's 5+ years old?

L33t points. When you get "over 300" or we you turn into a turbo dork.

Sometimes you can buy cheap poo poo like that Pentium people were raving about, then run it at twice stock for a year or two before it blows up. Its the thrill of a good deal I suppose.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
celeron 300a was the last thing worth overclocking

bxboards :getin:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
5690 non k! overlock is worthless lol u really need a bit of extra speed? morone

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
4690??

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

default setting s motherfuckers

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

maniacdevnull posted:

higher price than an acura, lower quality than a honda

i thought acuras were hondas

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
my computer laptotp is all normal cooled op

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phoenixan posted:

it used to have a use case but got bred out by intel doing stuff like "focusing on energy efficiency"

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Roku for the gently caress of it.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

intel overclocks things for you now :thumbsup:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Perplx posted:

at work i turned my second workstation into an esxi cluster in a box
i passed the onboard sata to a centos vm that does raid and iscsi, but i still needed a boot drive for esxi but there was no other internal sata
so the boot drive is actually connected to an esata bracket and then an esata cables that loops back to esata port on the motherboard

what im trying to say is everything is stock and unmodded but that didn't stop me from sperging out and making something really hacky

People like you should be put in camps

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
as it is i have enough reasons for self-loathing without having "took time out of the day to overclock a computer cpu" tattooed onto this sad little soul

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
lol if u dont cyanogenmod & water cooling overclock. idiots. why not just buy a typewriter and a non-camera flipphone if you are not going to use your equipment to its fullest.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
you dont belong in the pc world. its for min/maxers like me. just go with the fruit computer companys product if you are so drat untechnical.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
You are in the wrong thread. Your posts have been reported. I encourage all non overclockers and non modders ITT (in this thread) to report these hateful posts as well. Please go to the 3xtr3m3 0v3rcl0ck3r thread.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I see a lot of talk about overclocking and modding on tech forums. I wanted a thread where we could talk about using our computer equipment within the manufacturer's specification. I really like my ivy core i5 3750 (non K). It serves my needs for running desktop linux really well. I also have a moto g I do not plan to jail break as it provides a completely satisfactory user experience out of the box. Anyone else that is happy using their computing equipment as the manufacturer intended?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
im fine with that. please splash around in the kid friendly area of the pool. I will be in the deep end doing cool poo poo.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i have some computers, i have no idea what's in em

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Dr. Honked posted:

i have some computers, i have no idea what's in em

As it should be Dr. Honked, as it should be.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i have not rooted my moto x because it suits my needs (phone and hand warmer!) and i can still cheat the phone games while keeping the warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't ivercloxk but I usually so peruse all the menus in the bios and maybe a change a thing here or there, turn off wake on LAN etc, feel like a true cj

• Locked thread