Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Here's a couple of mine:
http://noisey.vice.com/blog/you-dont-have-to-lose-money-on-tour
http://www.amazon.com/Vagabonding-Uncommon-Guide-Long-Term-Travel-ebook/dp/B000FBFMKM/

I'm interested in DIY and I'm learning to be a performer. I might try to travel around the States early this summer and I'd like to stay with people via Couchsurfing in order to go to open mics in new cities. I have traveled a fair bit outside of the US but I've never really done the multi-city thing within my own country. Do you have any practical guides for something like this? The focus would be on low cost and flexibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
Backpacking on no budget is mostly a skill, you can't really pick it up from advice. That said, Vagabonding (the book) is a great starting point for setting your expectations appropriately and mentally preparing for taking the plunge, and it lays out a lot of the basic common sense stuff explicitly, which might be helpful.

Don't expect couchsurfing to be a big money-saver. In my experience, you usually wind up spending about the same amount anyway, especially in popular cities where the hosts usually aren't very centrally located.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
The best way to travel the States on the cheap is with your own vehicle. It's a big up-front expense, but the US really isn't set up for budget travel, especially budget travel using public transportation, which tends to be poor to nonexistent in most areas. If you have your own vehicle, you can car-camp and have a flexibility you won't have if you are limited to public transport. For a developed country, fuel is relatively cheap in the US, especially in the past few months. Really though, the US simply is not a country where you can do a whirlwind tour on $50/day without your own car. The infrastructure just isn't there.

Couchsurfing, in my experience, has been a bust in terms of a money-saver. It's great for meetups in various cities, but forget about finding a free place to stay in Manhattan or San Francisco. Most people who are willing to host are in places that don't see a lot of traffic. People in heavily-visited places like Manhattan or DC simply do not offer free accommodations to strangers from the Internet, especially not when they can make good money renting those spaces on Airbnb.com.

• Locked thread