Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

quote:

Oh, my family have been around here for centuries, really. Parish records have us back to at least the 1500s and while it gets spotty after that we have been here since before the Conquest, maybe even before the Romans. How do I know? Well, a combination of private archives, some DNA sequencing on old bodies, and the oral history. It's easier to maintain that kind of unbroken chain of descent with dragons, of course.

Oh, don't look so shocked. You came here looking for something, didn't you? Was it the strange carvings in the church that tipped you off? Discrepancies in the accounts of the origin of the ballad? Those conveniently and selectively destroyed historical documents? Well, you don't have to say. It won't really matter. You'll have to sign a non-disclosure agreement before you leave anyway, so do you have any questions for me?

How many of us are there? I presume you mean dragons, not just family members? One per generation, essentially. There were twins once who both got the blood but one of them...didn't quite work out. That's where the legend comes from, of course - the poor simple lizard killed with a boot to the arse. Not our finest hour.

Why am I going to St. Andrews and not some posh public school? Uhh, because my dad is an IT guy and not a merchant banker? Living above our means would attract attention, and that brings curious investigators and then some complete twat with a sword shows up yelling about virgins. Besides, all my friends go here. The Catholic thing doesn't really bother me, when my family bother going to church at all we tend to go in for pomp and ceremony above actual religious content.

Am I going to...eat you? Hahaha, no. Not personally. I don't have the taste for human flesh yet. Grandad will do the actual eating. Oh, don't cry. We feed you a thing that makes you sleep first. If it's any consolation I think you were very good to get this far.

No, I don't think that would comfort me either.

Donna Wharncliffe, The Wyrm

Look: Collected, Unblinking Eyes.

Origin: In your blood

Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2

Your Backstory
Judge each other PC as either “treasure” or “merely currency.”
If they're treasure, describe the moment they caught your eye, and give them a String. If they're merely currency, take a String on them. Read them this: "Describe something off-putting that I said to you."

Blake Dunsmuir: Merely Currency. There's something off about Blake.

Phillipa "Pippa" Lambton: Treasure. Pippa is really easy going and fun to be around, our dads work in similar industries (maybe the same company?) and her last name sounds really familiar.

Jessica Mallory: Treasure. I don't know what happened to her earlier in the year, but all of a sudden she's got most of the boys (and easily half the girls) drooling after her. That kind of power doesn't come cheap, and I want to know more about it.

Megan Brooks: Merely Currency, as well as being a grubby thief.

Thomas ("Thom") Brody: Merely Currency. He's a pretty boy, I guess?

Wyrm Moves

You get these two, then choose one:

Bargaining Ceremony
Drinking tea, sharing a cigarette, playing chess, or sitting back to back are all ceremonies. When negotiating a bargain during
a ceremony, both of you can offer Strings as part of that bargain. This can include Strings you have on others, or new Strings that you generate on yourselves. When you're both satisfied, the exchange occurs.

The Bait
You have a collection of antique jewellery. When you show it to someone, they inevitably find something they fancy. They will mark
experience when it becomes theirs and is no longer yours. Also, choose one: they see something someone else would like, and when you show that someone the something, carry one forward against them; the time has flown by and it's hours later than you thought.

Scales
Once per session, you can transform into a terrifying beast of talons and coils. Give yourself the Condition secretly vulnerable. While transformed, you can roll to lash out physically with dark, except do as much harm as you like. When the scene ends, you collapse back into your human form.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, read them this: "Choose at least one thing from this list, and for each that you choose, describe something I learn about you from our intimacy: Give me a String on you, and take something from my collection. Give me a String on you, and take a String on me as well. Give me a String on you, and I'll promise you anything you'd like. Give me a String on you, and then
give me a Condition."

Darkest Self
You've become too heady, too lax, too vague. You need to dominate one of the people-things that you treasure, let it know that it's yours, that it doesn't get to choose who owns it – you do. You escape your Darkest Self when your treasured thing proves that you don't own it entirely, or when you see the difference between objects and people.

Advancement
Take another Wyrm move.
Take another Wyrm move.
Take a move from another Skin.
Take a move from another Skin.
You find some willing
Collection Curators.
Add 1 to Hot (max 3).
Add 1 to Cold (max 3).
Add 1 to Volatile (max 3).
Add 1 to Dark (max 3).

Ugh, Edward. Stop, please, just stop. You are not a charming, devil may care sporting hero, you are a greasy teenager with with dodgy chin-fluff and mud on your trousers. No amount of rolling my eyes or stony silence is going to stop you going on about taking me to the disco, is it? No, I didn't think so. An exasperated sigh? God, it's like trying to ignore a particularly irritating puppy. You just are not going to take a polite hint, are you? No, don't start talking about costumes. No, I will not go as some kind of sexy nurse, you absolute git. Alright, clearly sterner measures are called for.

"Actually, Ed, I was thinking about giving the disco a miss. What with the crash, and old Pruett getting...well. I'm just not in the mood for a party right now."

Shut Down: 2d6+1 9

Giving Ed the condition Tactless, he gets to give Donna one in return

With that little distraction dealt with I can get back to actually doing...whatever it was I was doing before he started rabbiting on. Staring out the window, mostly. Checking out the class behind me. How does Jessica get her hair to look that good? I spend ages on mine just to get it under control, she looks like she rolled out of bed and through a salon on her way to class. Ugh, jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Frigid

Despite successfully knocking Ed for six there I'm not sure I won...Jessica's words and wink have completely undermined the point I was making and I have to conceal my burning cheeks by staring out the window again. No, I'm not blushing because I...shut up! Stupid imagination. I'm just...annoyed. At stupid perfect Jess butting in on my conversation with her stupid perfect face and her insinuation that I would rather...well. I can hear Ed still muttering and at this rate I'm beginning to wonder if it will take grinding his bones to make my bread before he takes 'no' for an answer. We'll find out.

I have to blink and double check that I'm not imagining things when I see Jordan Jones half-way across the field up to his knees in mud, staggering about like he's drunk or dead tired. Jordan's a walking stereotype - Welsh, thinks he's a poet, family used to be in mining back in the day and now they mostly seem to be in media. He's a year ahead of us, I know him because I was in a theatre group with him last year (Mum's idea - trying to get me out of the house and meeting new people) and he likes going for long walks in the hills. He's not so keen on respecting other people's property though - keeps wandering onto farms and trying to break into old quarries and things. Wonder why he's running so late?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1+1/5 | Conditions: Frigid

I was never into acting really, it's the other parts of theatre that appeal to me. Costumes, scenery, and stagecraft, but mostly directing. The feeling of making all the little cogs mesh to form a greater whole under the watchful eye of their master...is quite appealing. Standing on stage and making a spectacle of myself? Not so much. The company I was with is still around, but it's the off season - they mostly work during the summer holidays. I might go back this year, unless something better comes up.

Putting up decorations for a party is kiiiind of like setting a stage. The drama tends to be a little more improvised, of course. The players need to feel like they're not taking direction at all. But it can still be fun. If Pippa and Jess are both going to be there I'll go, of course. Seeing is good, being seen I can give or take, but I like to keep my eye on things.

"Sure thing, Pippa. Sounds like a good way to kill an afternoon."

Also eat it, Ed. Could I be any more brutally obvious at you? (yes I could but I'd need to find a new school afterwards)

taking the xp

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Frigid

Bah, now Megan the thief and the troubling Mr. Dunsmuir are having some kind of ridiculous argument. How anyone is supposed to get anything done under these kind of circumstances is a mystery. I'd much rather be discussing how to dress Pippa and Jess than I would be caught in the periphery of a squabble between these two. I do rather like the idea of Pippa dressing up as a saucy maid. Um.

Rather than try and yell over the rest of the class I just put my head down on my arms for a moment. If I'm going along, I need a costume. Something to impress and inspire, something to help display my chosen jewellery to best effect. With a bit of needlework I should be able to re-purpose something to suit, but what. I start daydreaming about the disco, lights and song and little people moving around with no idea about the strings they are dancing on...

Gaze Into The Abyss: 2d6+2 13

Curing Frigid, the visions are lucid and detailed

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions:

Princess, huh? Well, why not? I can certainly put the costume together easily. I don't have time to start sketching ideas before the class breaks up and I'm on my way to the next one. When Jordan gets in the way I'm tempted to give him the cold shoulder and say I'm busy, but something about his panicked expression holds my interest.

"Alright, Jones. Meet me by the bike shed, should be quiet enough there. This better be important, though."

With that the crowd drags me off to Maths. I have time to think about the last mess he landed me in on the way, and hopefully this time it will involve less late nights on my part. He was involved in scriptwriting, making some changes to an old play to update it for kids. Problem was he was also involved with a couple of girls in the company, both of whom had boyfriends, and they both wanted changes to the role they had to give them more lines. Rather than just let him sort out his own mess I stepped in to try and keep the production together, and ended up having to drive one of the would-be actresses away with a sustained campaign of spreading rumors and general low-grade cruelty. Of course, then someone had to take over the role, no-one else was familiar with it, and I ended up having to take over. An unplanned stage debut that it looked like I had conspired to steal from someone else. Quite a bit of bad feeling all round, but Jordan owes me and knows it. He wouldn't come back for anything small.

I of course have my homework done, and I'm far enough ahead in this class in general that I can breeze through. I respect Miss Price - her only interest is in manipulating numbers and teaching others how to do the same. No messy emotional attachment to her students.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe

Ugh...I suppose I should have a date for the disco. I don't really have anyone in mind though. Basically all the boys in my year are either impenetrably dense or dull as ditch-water. Ed for instance falls into both categories. Some of them are alright looking, I guess, but that's pretty much all they've got. The only one with any spark at all is Blake, but his spark is...I dunno. Off. Strange. He's not the handsome prince type, I guess. Playing it by ear leaves open the ghastly possibility that I might end up with no-one at all, which would be embarrassing. Dating outside my year is a possibility, but the only older boy I would know to ask is Jordan, and he's...a poet. Also in some kind of trouble which will probably make him unreliable company. And of course dating down would be worse than showing up with no-one. Pippa seems to have sorted herself out with Jayson. Dammit, I'm no good at this sort of thing.

Jess, on the other hand, is an absolute master at wrapping boys around her finger, and seems to have no trouble sorting the wheat from the chaff. Some idiot is trying to chat her up at the moment, but as soon as she shoots them down I'll ask her advice. I turn around in my chair to make eye contact and get her attention. I'd offer support to her the way she backed me up against Ed, but I'm pretty sure her would-be swain is less persistent. I settle for miming spewing behind his back to express my opinion.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2+1/5 | Conditions:

Haha, I'm not getting fooled by that again. That's clearly some kind of religious icon, not a proper trinket. I mean, yes, it looks old and the silver looks good and solid and the way Pippa is handling it shows she values it and because it is valued I want it but I can't just go around taking things from my things. Friends. Although if I asked nicely maybe she would let me look at it...trade it for help in maths maybe...or I could just-

The bell rings. Whew, that was getting a little intense. Eyes back in your head, Donna. We can solve the case of the thing I want later, it's lunchtime.

What do I eat? Uh, food? I like fish and chips, steak, chocolate, ice-cream, that sort of thing. The whole 'eating a whole herd of cattle' thing is not going to be a problem for me for ages, and the steady diet of princesses is purely allegorical. I think. I mean, Grandad certainly eats people but only on super rare occasions, and only people no-one's going to miss. I haven't felt like eating anyone yet, and I might not - as far as I can tell it's very much an acquired taste. I tried eating a piece of gold once but all I did was chip a tooth, which got crowned with enamel. I don't know if it affected my other body, it has like a billion teeth and there are no dentists that work on jobs that size. Today it looks like I get a soggy ham and salad roll with slightly stale cheese and crackers and a small orange juice. Not exactly a feast of royal blood or whatever, but I cram down as much as I can be bothered with before moving on.

I have to meet Jordan and Jess. Jess is here now but she's talking to Thom...stuff it. I haven't got all day. I walk over to the pair of them. Thom's blushing and Jess is grinning so I figure she's having some fun at his expense. I doubt she'll mind if I cut in.

"Hey, Jess. Need to talk to you for a sec. Thom, could you go and be a sweetie somewhere else for a moment?"

I put one hand flat on his chest to push him away...his actually surprisingly warm and firm chest. Um. He really is uncommonly pretty. Kinda hoping he doesn't just go away here.

Turn on Thom (Nice Guy): 2d6 6

Spending a string to bump that up to 7, marking XP for rolling hot.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions:

Oh...good, he left. Good. Right, talking to Jess. About...the disco...right.

"Hey, Jess. I need to you do me a favour. I'm kind of flying blind into this whole disco thing, and I haven't gotten around to picking out a date yet. Mostly, I have to say, because 90% of the boys in our year are pretty useless, but also because I don't normally...uh...bother. With dates and things. But...uh...anyway, my point is I'm hoping that you can set me up with someone. Because you are basically amazing at boys in general and getting them to do what you want specifically, and I figure I could help you out with your costume or whatever. In exchange. For sorting out a date for me. Deal?"

Argh, that was so awkward! I can face down a crowd of old people at an estate sale with no trouble, why is even talking about boys with a girl I know so bloody complicated? It's not like I was asking her to the bloody disco! I mean, not that there's anything wrong with that, but the teachers would probably freak out. And I like boys. Definitely.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe

"Um...no. Pretty much my thinking began and ended at 'not Ed' so I haven't really bothered thinking who might be worth going with. Probably...I dunno, just go for someone cute and fun? I really don't know who though. I...can I just leave it with you? I guess I trust your instincts more than mine. Kind of sad, right?"

I have a quick laugh at my own expense there. It's difficult to meet Jess's eyes for some reason. Is it because I'm revealing some kind of weakness or because I'm worried I would stare? Hard to tell.

"I mean, I don't want you to go out of your way or anything, like don't go on a crazy recruiting spree or whatever. Just...yeah. Hook me up with a cute date for the disco. When do you want to do costume stuff? I should be free this afternoon."

I lean back against the lockers next to her and stare at the ceiling.

I think this counts as a bargaining ceremony? Want to exchange strings on each other?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe

Ferrosol posted:

Donna: Jessica's gaze flips back to you and she has a strange look on her face. Like she's just seen something really weird or she's seeing right through you, have you ever had anyone look at you like that before? what did you do then and what are you going to do about it this time?

Well, Blake looked at me sort of like that when we argued about that medal, but that was just regular fear and confusion. Probably the closest was when Dad found out that I was the next dragon in the family while we were visiting Grandad. For some reason his generation (and maybe the one before, our family line is a little complicated) didn't produce one, and there were rumours that there wouldn't be any more of us. He...wasn't as pleased as Grandad was. Kept muttering about how 'it should have been over" but wouldn't talk about it. I figure he was jealous, but the look he gave me was...well, we've been distant ever since. All I could really do was roll with it, and it's not like he's been a bad Dad. He's just...always working now.

If that's Jess having trouble with our so-called lunch I'm a monkey's uncle. So...did she see something about me? No, she was looking at Pippa first. Huh. I look at Pippa and shrug.

"Do you want to go keep an eye on her? She might need someone to hold her hair out of the toilet. I'd go but I, uh, have to meet someone before lunch is over."

And also I'd like to get somewhere quiet to meditate on why Jess is really freaking out, I don't add. I start to walk off but talk over my shoulder as I'm going.

"Text me if you need any help with Jess, OK? We need her on top form to help with the Disco prep."

That said I'm off to the bike shed. It's pretty much empty, no-one is around (the sixth-form smokers mostly go hang out off school grounds somewhere) and they recently put a proper concrete path all around it so I don't even have to get my shoes muddy. I'm here before Jordan, it looks like. This should only take a second, anyway. I reach under my jumper and pull out the opal necklace I'm wearing (against school regs, of course, but whatever). It's a little thing, but it's part of my hoard and if I focus on it in just the right way I can hopefully get an idea of what Jess was seeing.

Gaze Into The Abyss: 2d6+2 12

the visions are lucid and detailed; the visions show you what you must do, and you carry 1 forward to doing it

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3+1/5 | Conditions:

So...Jess is seeing things? Demons? No wonder she looked weird. I'll find her after I meet up with-

"Oh! Sorry, Jordan, I was miles away."

Oh myyy. That's 3rd century Roman, I'd bet my life on it. Haven't seen anything like it in person, but I keep an eye on auction house websites. Probably solid gold and worth a few thousand pounds. Where the hell were you walking when you just...found this, Jordan? You're not the type to break and enter old houses, or go grave-robbing. I can feel my eyes going wide and my instincts scream at me to take this precious thing from a blundering fool who waves it under my nose

Hold Steady: 2d6+1 9
Opting to keep calm and not just smash poor Jordan, gaining XP from rolling Cold

I'm inclined to believe that he's genuinely worried about being followed, as well as about finding the broach. He can be a bit daft but he's not a liar. Or a thief. If someone has stolen this thing then they might be looking for it. Or it could be some kind of magic. Old things attract curses and ghosts with alarming regularity, at least according to some of the old tomes in Grandad's library. Either way, I'm better equipped to look after it than Jordan is.

"Um...it looks pretty old. Can't imagine anyone would have been wearing it out on a walk. Probably belongs to a museum or a collector or something. Do you want me to...look after it? I can make a few calls, see if anyone I know is missing something like that? I can keep it quiet, if you're worried about...being followed or whatever."

Manipulate an NPC: 2d6-1 5

Haha, no.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe
Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions:

"Um..."

I really wasn't expecting anything like that. Isn't he still going out with...whatsername...Pearl? The leggy one who works at the coffee shop with Thom, died hair and piercings? I mean, if he isn't then no problem! I don't mind going with him, he's handsome enough. Taller than I remember, too. His face looks more...grown up? Distinguished? Less like a daft taffy who tramps around in the mud? I dunno. Kind of reminds me of someone famous, but I can't place it. And I'm staring again.

"Yeah, actually, I'd love to. I was a bit worried I was going to have to fly solo there."

I'm not just saying that to get my hands on the brooch, although that's a pretty nice bonus. With a date sorted I can go back to helping Jess with her little...hallucination problem. And frankly, he'll make good arm candy.

"Did...um...did you have a costume worked out? I was going to do a princess sort of thing, silly I know but I already have most of the pieces so...um."

I can feel myself blushing again. To cover myself I brush my hair back away from my face and reach out a hand to take the brooch.

"Let me have another look at that thing."

And now I'm touching his hands and this was not the plan and argh why is this so difficult I just want to take the lovely jewel why am I suddenly so clumsy what the hell, Jordan. Stop being so...tall.

Turn on Jordan: 2d6-1 7

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe
Harm 0/4 | Experience 4+1/5 | Conditions:

Try as I might I can't think of any private collectors in the area who would have something like this. Doesn't mean there aren't any, of course - people with treasure don't usually spread rumors about it. I know people think I'm a bit of a collector but if they had any idea the size of my hoard I'd be up to my ears in thieves. But word gets around about what people are interested in, and none of the local names are all that keen on Roman stuff. That makes me think museum. I know there was a big Roman thing at Weston Park last year, but I don't remember if that was a traveling exhibition or local goods. I could swing by after school...but I need to help Pippa out. Well, the broach can wait a day or so, it's already millennia old. Mass is a tedious enough affair that I have plenty of time to think about that, and about what I'm going to do for Jess. Should I tell her I know what's happening? Or just try and find the source without involving her?

The new priest is launching in to a sermon on the lesson that the death of old Pruitt taught us - blah blah the Lord works in mysterious ways blah blah calling his servant home - and rather than try and doze with my eyes open I let myself be 'overcome with emotion' and keep my eyes closed and downcast. I'm not the only one, either. At least someone in the crowd is audibly sobbing. Wouldn't have thought the old man meant so much to any of the students, but I guess you never know. I'm using the cover to grip my opal and concentrate on Jess, trying to find the source of these 'demon shadows'. I think Richard might be a connection as well - seeing things, hallucinating demons. I don't give a toss about him but with two points of reference I should be able to triangulate pretty easily (thank you, Miss Price).

Gaze Into The Abyss: 2d6+3 12

The visions are lucid and detailed; the visions show you what you must do.

Marking XP for rolling dark, taking Jealous Coils as my advance

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions:

Huh. So, there's more to Megan than just being a thief. I hadn't really paid any attention to her other than confronting her about that - she mostly keeps her head down and stays out of trouble. She's some kind of scholarship student, I think. Second hand uniform, out of date books. I don't really have a problem with that, I know there's more to being interesting than wealth, but I had suspected that was why her fingers were so sticky. I feel a little foolish, if I had paid more attention I might have noticed earlier and kept this whole pot from boiling over. Nothing for it, I will have to confront her after Mass. Get her to stop whatever she's doing to Jessica, impress upon her that interfering with my people is...unwise. Maybe I can add her to my circle if she is prepared to see reason. The power to...steal reason, or whatever she is doing could be very useful if properly wielded.

I don't need to take it to the teachers, or prove anything. I'm not taking her to court, just telling her to back off. It will have to wait until later though. For now I surreptitiously tuck my pendant away and return to silent contemplation of the life of the dear departed. Well, and revenge. Mostly revenge. Megan is sitting a couple of rows in front of me and I find myself staring at the back of her head, running through the ways I can intimidate, humiliate or compel her to do my bidding. Intolerable thief. I should just...crush her. I can see it now, my tail wrapping her up, squeezing and cracking bones as she struggles to breathe, to apologize. Too late for that, thief. Far too late.

Jealous Coils: 2d6+2 13
Donna gains a string on Jessica, Megan doesn't have one to lose.

I blink, and the shadows pass from my eyes. I'm gripping my chair so tightly my fingers are going white, and I have to breathe consciously to relax. If she felt that I might have some explaining to do.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 9, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe

Don't tell me to calm down. I'm perfectly calm. Just fine. I'm not going to go full Wharncliffe on a crowded auditorium, at any rate. And yes, being patient is important, especially where revenge is concerned, but there is a fine line between patience and sloth. Wait too long and you never get anything done, the world moves on, the person you wanted revenge against died in their bed generations ago and their descendants have access to nuclear weapons now. I never thought Great-Grandma's lesson along those lines would be terribly relevant but I suppose I can extrapolate by analogy. The important thing here is to decide whether I want to publicly humiliate Megan or address the matter in private. While the public approach does have benefits I imagine that Jessica will want to keep matters under wraps as possible. Temper will definitely need to be on lockdown. I don't want a repeat of the Lily Rush Affair, as I call it.

I actually like Lily, she's good fun and can be relied upon to bring enough cider for everyone to just about any social event. But when I was (briefly) on the girl's field hockey team with her a couple of years ago she got mad at me for not being a team player (a fair cop, if I'm being honest), cornered me after a game and let me know exactly how she felt. It was immensely embarrassing, and kind of frightening which just made me more mortified and furious and I let that fester. Eventually I went round to her family farm after dark, cut loose and caused a landslide in one of the orchards. Quite a lot of damage, very expensive and slow to repair. The bill might have put her family under, cost them the farm. I felt bad enough about that that I arranged for a fix, sort of - Mum's on the board of a couple of local sports clubs, and I talked her in to making Rush cider a sort of official sponsor, got them enough extra business to carry them until they get that field producing again. Moral of the story is...don't crush your enemies until you're sure you want to? I dunno.

Ugh, can this sermon drag on any longer? This new priest is the perfect mix of tedious authoritarian and lousy speaker. People are getting restless, not just students but the teachers as well. I think only Ms Price is still paying any attention. I'm not normally one to risk texting in mass, but I need to make sure I get Megan alone afterwards before she gets stuck in detention. I make a show of looking in my bag for a hankie as a cover for rattling off a quick message.

Text to Megan posted:

We need to talk after mass. V. Important.

Glad I saved her number from that time I found one of her ratty old books. Now I just need to hope she left her phone on silent. Then I 'find' my hankie and discretely blow my nose.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe

If Megan thinks I can be shaken off as easily as all that she doesn't know me at all. Which is pretty true, actually. I know where and when she has detention, and I'm in good enough books with TEACHER that I should be able to borrow her for a few minutes if I don't catch her before she gets there. It's just a matter of getting out of (sigh) Home Economics a little bit early, which shouldn't be too much of a problem. I get that life skills are important for normal people, and I like some of the subjects (sewing, even if we don't do anything interesting, and the actual financial home economics is fun if basic) but why does it have to be mandatory? It means that no-one is paying the least attention or learning anything, and when no-one is paying attention in a kitchen people get hurt. I was doing a drat good job of getting an omlette cooked with plenty of time to spare so I could skive of and intercept Megan when Ed - showing off like the idiot he is - slipped on a patch of grease and smacked his stupid face into the counter. I couldn't stop from laughing and so Mr Sargent made me take him to the nurse for his split bloody lip and general poor sad baby state.

'And don't forget to come back here and clean up when you're done, Wharncliffe! Kitchen safety is no bloody joke!'

Bloody Gordon Ramsey wannabe ex-Army cook. I wasn't the idiot who thought juggling eggs was a good way to show off. If I have to wait all afternoon I'm going to take it out on Megan, then Ed, then the world in general.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe

God, you'd think Ed had won some kind of contest rather than busting his lip from the way he's swaggering by the time we run into Eleanor. She startles when she sees us, looking surprised and..guilty, maybe? We stare at each other for a few seconds before she starts talking.

quote:

"Oh, um. Hey. What happened to Ed?"

I explain to her that he was playing the fool, slipped, and smacked his face on a kitchen counter. Ed has the decency to look ashamed.

quote:

You're not heading to the nurse, are you?

Well, yes. That's where Sargent sent us. For some reason he's worried about Ed's brain.

quote:

Oh...I wouldn't go in there for a bit is all. Someone was...sick all over the place, and it stinks.

I'm about to express how little I care about the smell when Ed says 'Bullshit. You're covering for someone. Is Richard having an attack of the demons again?' Eleanor looks shocked and splutters.

quote:

No! No, he's not...in there.

Ed laughs at her. 'You can't lie to me for crap, El, you know that. C'mon, Donna. Let's go and watch Richard have a freakout'

He pushes past and keeps heading to the nurses office. I shrug at the crestfallen Eleanor and follow him. Wouldn't have thought he had that in him. Not that I have any interest in Richard, but if he's seeing demons again it could be a chance to try and figure out a fix.

When we get to the nurses office the door is locked. Ed looks at me and shrugs. 'Well, we tried. Maybe Dick will be in a padded cell tomorrow. Look, I'm going to take off early. Don't tell Sargent, right?' Then he has the audacity to wink at me before he jogs off.

So sick of Ed.

When he's gone I wait a moment and then knock on the door.

"Hello? Anyone in here?"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0+1/5 | Conditions:

Something very odd is going on in there. I can't pick out the voice, but I'd swear that's not the nurse. I'm just contemplating going around outside to look in the window when the door opens and Nurse is standing there with her uniform disheveled, a glazed expression and reeking of alcohol. Taken aback, I stammer momentarily.

"Uh...are you...alright, Miss?"

She looks at me, but keeps checking back over her shoulder at the open window.

"Was someone in here just now?"

When she replies: 'She just left with Eleanor. Had to go home sick.' I know something is up, and Eleanor was covering for it. I don't think I'm going to get anything useful out of her in this condition though. I start to turn around to go but she grabs my shoulder and starts rambling like...like a drunk. . 'Wai...wait a second. Can you tell me...am I still pretty? The other girl, she kissed me an ran way.' She looks like she's about to cry.

Oh, bugger.

"Look, Miss, you need to lie down. You're just tired right now and I have to get back to, um, class. Well, excuse me."

Run Away: 2d6-1 6

Marking XP for rolling volatile

I try to pull out of her grasp and she slips, ripping the sleeve off my jumper as she clings to it and falls down, sprawling on the floor. It's all I can do not to fall down on top of her. I am suddenly immensely grateful Ed took off before he could see this performance. At this point I could try and help her up, tuck her in to bed and make sure she's going to be okay. Or, I could just lose my nerve and run for it, try and make it to Price's room before Megan gets out of detention. I need to make sure she hasn't been playing her dirty little tricks on Pippa while I got caught up with the stupid clown act. Take off and leave a grown woman crying that no-one loves her it is. Oh, everyone is going to pay for this sooner or later. Shame about the jumper, but I've got another one.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions:

Ow, hey! That hurts, you stupid drunk idiot! My temper starts flaring at her, and it burns even brighter as I see Megan go swanning off with Blake. No. She's not getting away until she's answered for a few things. I turn my venom on the sniveling nurse.

"It doesn't matter what you want, you useless lump of flesh. You are alone, you will be alone, and unless you release me now, you are going to die alone!"

Shut Down Nurse: 2d6+1 10

Nurse gains the condition Victim

I stop trying to break out of her grip and step back with my other shoe, pressing her face into the ground until she lets go and breaks down sobbing. I hiss angrily at her, recover my torn sleeve and walk past her towards the door that will let me intercept my real target, parting with some sage advice.

"Bother me again, and as my name is Wharncliffe I will ruin everything you hold dear"

I think she understood that.

I make an undignified scurry to the end of the corridor, pulling my jumper over my head and off as I go. I reach the door and get outside with time to catch my breath, pat my hair down and lean casually against the wall as Megan and Blake come round the corner.

"Megan, darling! So glad I didn't miss you! Blake, could you be a dear and give me a moment with Megan? Important girl talk, you know."

Manipulate Blake: 2d6-1 4, spend a string to make 7. What will it take to get Blake to buzz off and let me monster Megan in peace?

My smile is purely for Blake's benefit, and has all the genuine warmth of a thrown dagger.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe

The second Blake is out of sight my chummy smile slips disappears like the sun at a picnic. I know Megan has some kind of power, so I have to be careful - whatever it is is subtle enough for her to use in school without getting in trouble, and I don't know the extent of it. That said, this is in defense of one of my things, so a little display of dominance is warranted. I restrain myself from screaming and carrying on, and let my cold fury speak for itself.

"Whatever you're doing to Jessica, whatever trick you're pulling, stop it right now. I don't give a tinkers cuss what problem you have with her, she isn't to be damaged by the likes of you! Play all the games you like with meatheads like Richard, but you leave Jessica alone or I will tear your world apart, understand?"

I'm standing uncomfortably close to her, deliberately leaning in to make her feel shorter.

"The same goes for Pippa. If I find you causing her any trouble I'm going to make you wish you'd never been born. I wouldn't normally waste my time on a thief but I will go out of my way to be creative with your downfall."

I find that my hands have balled up into fists while I've been talking. The anger feels nice after a long, confusing, and frustrating day.

Jealous Coils: 2d6+2 7

Jessica should chose - give me a condition, or I say something I regret
I gain a string on her, and mark XP for rolling dark

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 5, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Mental

Megan gains the condition Liar. Saying something I'll regret!

Oh no you don't, you don't get to blow me off with a weak denial like that! Blake or not, power or not, no-one plays Donna Wharncliffe for a chump!

"Don't play games with me, Thief! I know you have something to do with Richard's demon problem, and you've tried to do the same to Jessica! Well, knock it off, right now, or so help me I will crush you like a bug and eat what's left!"

Shut down Megan (liar): 2d6+2 12

Gaining a string on Megan

Before I entirely realize it, my voice has slipped into a richer, deeper contralto, with all the venom I can muster in it. I've grabbed Megan by her jumper and pushed her against the wall heedless of the risk of Blake coming back to defend her.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe
Harm 1/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Mental

Donna would like to return the harm.

"Ahh! You little bitch, that hurt!"

When she scratches at my face I see red and push her into the wall so she bangs her head. I don't let go, though. Not until Jessica storms round the corner and pulls Megan out of my grip. Bugger, I thought she went home. This is going to be awkward to explain.

On the plus side, if Blake was going to get involved he'd have shown up by now. That means I don't have to be so gentle anymore.

"Right, listen up, you thieving little freak! Whatever you did to Jessica, fix it now! I'm not going to ask again! Muck us about and I'll make every school day for the rest of your life hell. Do it right and I'll go happily back to ignoring you forever, just like everyone else"

Shut down Megan (liar): 2d6+2 10
Giving the condition Isolated

Also spending a string to offer Megan XP to lift the hex

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 5, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe
Harm 1/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Mental, Bully.

Giving back the condition Victim

Whatever Jess is whispering in the thief's ear is only making her look more distressed. I think I should step in and play...worse cop?

I don't normally do this sort of thing, really. The physicality of it all is rather thrilling, a shame that it has to be under such trying circumstances. Megan's pointless defiance is grating on me - what does she have to lose at this stage? Her dignity? That's long gone. I make a fist and punch her in the stomach to emphasize the point.

Lash out Physically at Megan (Victim): 2d6 12
Take 1 harm, and Megan cannot act against Donna for the remainder of the scene without holding steady.

"Just bloody do it and we can all go home."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe

This has taken a sudden turn for the tragic. First the strange turn about in Megan's attitude, then her mistaking Jessica for her father, then the actual magic (I really must be more careful with her in future), and now this strange pleading. I know she was from a troubled family, but I hadn't really...thought about it at all. Her explanation for why she 'hexed' Jessica is almost as sad - you thought a girl was flirting with a boy you sort of like so you try and drive her mad? Poor form. Still, I don't think I want to go with her and meet her mother, if her absentee father is any kind of measure of her families character.

I look at Jess and try to indicate by eyebrow and hand signals that she needs to back me up on this line of bullshit I'm about to spin.

"Megan, I-your father and I, we were working together to, uh test you. Your skills. He may need to leave to escape his...enemies...but I'll be staying here to help you. If you need to contact him just ask me."

I wonder just how suggestible she is right now. If this works I will be in a good position to try and convert Megan to an asset.

Hold Steady (lie to Isolated Megan): 2d6+2 12

Asking the question: Why does Megan think Jessica is her father?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe

This has not gotten any less strange or sad, but things are probably going to get worse if Megan goes to see the (drunk, desperate, probably heartbroken) nurse. I waver on whether to intercede, but decide to err on the side of caution.

"Wait. Um, the nurse is...is not to be trusted. You shouldn't be alone with her. Come with me, I have first aid supplies at my place. I'll clean you up and make sure you get home."

I shrug at Jessica behind Megans back, miming drinking from a bottle.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe

Dam right you'll make this up to me, Jessica Mallory! I've been through a lot of trouble today on your account, my neck and shoulders are killing me from the stress. Maybe a nice shoulder rub. Mmmm, that'd be nice.

A-hem, focus! Work to do, Wharncliffe!

Jessica can have a string on Donna

I nod back at her and then take charge of Megan, leading her away from Jessica and towards my house.

"Don't worry, I'm not far from here. Once we get you patched up I'll call you a taxi."

I'm not exaggerating, I only live about 10 minutes from the school. It's handy and annoying in equal measure. It's not exactly a mansion, either. A nice big house, yeah. More than enough room for my family, me, and my collection though - for the moment. Plus, probably no-ones home this time of day, so I shouldn't need to explain why I'm bringing in waifs and strays.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe

I was hoping Megan wouldn't ask too many questions. This charade is pretty flimsy as it is, and every thread that gets pulled out leaves me closer to twisting in the wind. I also have no idea how long whatever effect made her suddenly agreeable will last. I hesitate and stumble over my next lie as a result.

"I...he...it's, um...not so much working with, really. More like working for. He knows a lot of things, and sometimes he shares things in exchange for my help. I think he doesn't normally contact you because...he loves you. And wants to keep you safe, which would be difficult if he was with you. I don't know who his enemies are, but they sound dreadful."

That's...vague and unhelpful, but plausible. Everyone wants to think of their father as a bold protector, making sacrifices to protect and nurture them. If I build Megan into more of a protagonist figure in this story she might be more...malleable.

"I was very impressed by your work with that hex, actually. I can't do anything like that, I mostly just do basic psychometric reading. Uh, I can tell what happened to some kinds of objects."

Flatter her a little, change the subject. Everyone loves to talk about themselves.

"Have you got any other spells like that?"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe

Yikes, Megan. I'm going to have serious trouble trusting my senses in the future unless I make drat sure you aren't...a problem, one way or another. Ugh, what to do? I can't exactly just kill and eat you, not now. And I'm not sure I want to, honestly. A proper witch would be quite the trump card to have on hand if and when Grandfather decides to turn on me. Why does everything have to be so complicated?

"We're here, actually. Told you it was close. Um, don't mind the dog, he's harmless."

I key in the code for the gate and usher Megan inside. The family dog (we have a scruffy little terrier called George, supposed to be a Jack Russel but I'm pretty sure he isn't pure-bred) rushes up to say hello and jump all over us. I distract him with a thrown ball and unlock the front door, walk through the hall to my collection room where I keep the first aid kit (jewellery working is surprisingly dangerous), unlock that door and beckon Megan in to my parlor, as the spider said to the fly. I'm not entirely comfortable having a known thief in here, but needs must.

"Alright, lets get the kit out and see what we can do. I am sorry about, uh, all that, by the way. Hopefully I can make it up to you somehow."

I sit her down at my workbench where the light is better, and start by applying a cold pack to her head where I bashed it against the wall. She startles a bit when I come near her, but I try to be as gentle as I can.

Turn on Megan (Isolated): 2d6 6, spending a string to bump it up to 7

Also triggering The Bait: you see an item in my collection of antique jewellery that takes your fancy. What is it? And what do you see that someone else would like?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe

Well, now. This has been a very enlightening afternoon, all told. I doubt that Megan will believe I'm a friend of whoever her father is forever, but if I can leverage what I've learned it hopefully won't matter. I'll need to find out more about the man somehow - he sounds like a complete twat, but with magical power that could make him a problem. With Megan being contrite, humble, and vulnerable I find her much more tolerable. It's not nice, but it is a dragon thing. I finish putting the kit away and sit back down next to her, taking one of her hands gently and looking her in the eye.

"Honestly? Nearly none of that was your dad's idea. I'm pretty capable of being a horrid bitch all on my own, don't know if you noticed. I...get jealous and protective of my stuff, and friends, and I do go a bit crazy when I think someone's threatening or hurting them. I...think we could be friends, if you can forgive me."

The best lies are 90% truth, after all. I've been watching her eye off that ring, and handle it. Keeping my temper down has been tricky, but I think I have another point of control I can establish there - eyes on the prize, a witch for a trinket is a drat good trade. I pick it up with my free hand and hold it between us.

"Do you like this ring? It's a funny thing, not much inherent value - the gold is a thin 8 carat plating, the 'gem' is cut glass - but it has a nice bit of history to it. It belonged to a man called Norrell who set up a rival society to the Golden Dawn, right here in Sheffield. He never really got the recognition that Crowley did, partly because he was a shameless imitator but mostly because his group collapsed in on itself in a big sexy murder scandal. He did pull of some impressive tricks, but I doubt he was a real wizard. Just a charlatan with a flair for the dramatic and an opium addiction."

I press the ring into her hand, and close her fingers over it.

"Keep it. Make it the property of a real magician. Whatever you do with your power, I'm sure it will be spectacular."

Lay it on any thicker and you could build a bridge out of it.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe

Megan, dear, you are not making this easy. If you were any more skittish George probably would have mistaken you for a rabbit, and chased you around the garden. I need to impress on her somehow that this isn't a trick. Well, it sort of is, but I do genuinely think she should have the ring, and I didn't lie about the history.

"Why wouldn't I give it to you? Do I need a reason to give a gift? Um...how about because it suits you - not as a piece of jewellery, exactly, your colouring suits silver better than gold - but because of who you are, and where the ring came from. And because I make sure my friends are taken care of."

Especially when they turn out to be useful and dangerous friends. Which reminds me of how difficult this might be to reconcile with Jessica, but that's a bridge to worry about burning another day.

"And...I feel a little guilty about beating you up. Is that surprising? I'm don't come across as that much of a complete nutter, do I?"

I make the last bit come across as pleading. I'm not as desperate for validation as I seem to be, but if it will help Megan relax to be able to pigeon-hole me as a needy weirdo then so be it.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe

Probably no-one ever found out you were a unique and talented individual by bullying you before, either. Or at least if they did they found out when you drove them insane, you devious little creature. I can't even be angry about it now, the whole thing has worked out staggeringly well for me. It's a bit of a surprise when she hugs me, I barely have time to return the gesture before she offers to write about me. Many, many stories have filtered down into human fiction throughout the ages about dragons. We're a diverse enough lot that probably all of them contain some truth, but the real universal constant is our monumental egos. Nothing to be ashamed of, we are after all magnificent creatures, but it is a truism that we are susceptible to flattery, especially in art. I sort of lose track of how tightly I'm holding her in my excitement at the idea that my new witch is a bard as well.

"Yes! I would love that! You should definitely write a story about me, that sounds wonderful!"

Aaaand now my face is about an inch from hers and I maybe look a little nuts, well done Donna. I disentangle myself from the suddenly awkward embrace and cough.

"Ahem...sorry, I got a little carried away there. Look, uh, did you want to talk some more later? About...stuff? You should probably head home now before it gets dark and your Mum gets worried. I can...call you a taxi, if you want. I'll pay."

Please take a string on Donna

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe

"I...yeah. I'll tell him for you."

I was wondering if it was possible for me to fell more wretched about manipulating you, and it turns out the answer is yes. It isn't that I don't deserve to get the outcome that I did (I absolutely do, this was hard work!) but there's something about the way your hopes and delusions made it possible that makes me...angry. Not at you but at your father, whoever he is. Wherever he is. What kind of scumbag human just abandons a family member, especially one who is...useful. Nice, in a mousy way.

I think I'll find him and ask him. I'll tell him about how his daughter loves him in person, and we can have a talk about responsibility and stewardship and other interesting things.

I give Megan my mobile number, and a personal email as well. I call a taxi, and arrange for the charge to go on Dad's work account - it's a tax dodge, he doesn't mind at all. We make small talk while we wait at the gate, mostly about boys and how much they suck and are idiots. When the taxi pulls up I'm not exactly sad to see her get in, but it was nice to have company for the afternoon. When she's gone I make a cup of tea, patch up the scratches on my own face, and settle down in my room to have a good look at the Roman broach Jordan gave me earlier today. It's a soothing ritual, flipping through catalogs, browsing auction house websites, emailing other collectors to see if someone's had a break-in. And of course trying to talk to the thing itself.

Gaze into the abyss: 2d6+2 7

Confusing and alarming visions, please.

Where did you come from, you strange, lovely old thing?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna Wharncliffe

That...I don't think that was a collector. I don't recognize the face at all, and I would remember someone who looked like that. Those clothes - who wears a cloak? Was that the original owner? Maybe Jones really did just stumble upon a well preserved Roman artifact while he was out hiking! Maybe I can try and find the place that this thing was dropped, if there is an untapped Roman site somewhere in the woods...I let out an involuntary squeal of excitement at the thought. I'll have to get Jordan to show me where he found the thing, and work back from there. I lie back on my bed at look at the broach with new appreciation.

"I think you and me are going to be very close, you lovely thing. Whoever you used to belong to should have taken more care."

Of course, I'll have to get Jordan to keep quiet if there's a real find - the government will be all over it, snatching it away to put in museums on public display, or worse locking it up for ages while some dull academic writes about it. He should be easy enough to convince, though. Nice boy but no moral fiber at all.

I'm two for two this evening, and I think I should go for a hat trick. Time to contact Jessica and get some information out of her, press her for what she knows about Megan's 'father' making a sudden appearance.

Text From Donna posted:

Jess darling! Hope you got away alright! Sitch with M is handled for now but we need to talk. Call me or drop by when you can! XOXO, Donna.

I think that Megan and Donna have both healed their harm?

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 8, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatitile-1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Mental, Bully.

Oh bloody hell, the classroom is crowded to a ridiculous degree. Keeping track of all the trouble developing is going to be a full time job, especially with (passionate internal sigh) Felicia to moon over. Right, let's sort out a quick checklist:

• Jessica is flirting with Thom, risking firing Megan up again
  • Megan is getting cranky with Felicia, which is unacceptable
  • Lydia is here, which is...fine, really. So long as she keeps to her own people
  • Felicia is here and I must look a complete mess in my spare blazer and why didn't I spend more time on my hair this morning?
  • Ugh that twat Charles is ranting about Pakis again like it's 2007 or something.

Right. First, stop trying to fix your hair. Second, get Jessica's attention, just tap her on the back so she turns away from Thom for a second and I can whisper to her:

"Turn it down a notch, darling. I went to a lot of trouble cleaning up after you yesterday, and you're about to make the same mess, get it?"

Shut Down Jessica (tagging Judgmental): 2d6+2 8 Give her the condition Incurable Flirt, get one in return, mark xp for cold

Hopefully she gets the message and doesn't get her nose out of joint. Next, make sure Megan knows that I'm helping her out here. Just eye contact should be fine, maybe a little nod. She doesn't need to take action against Jessica, I'm handling it. If that improves her mood towards F, then that's all for the better.

Next, think of something cool and interesting to say to Felicia rather than just staring like a complete goon. I get out of my seat on a pretext of getting away from Ed and walk down towards her and - did Lydia just pass a note? Oh, that conniving bitch! And now she's leaning over and whispering and fixing her buttons gently caress poo poo gently caress!

I half sit, half lean on Lydia's desk and make myself as obtrusive a third wheel as I can.

"Hey, Lydia. Good morning, Felicia. How nice to see you both. What's the latest news? Don't leave me out in the cold here."

Jealous Coils on Lydia (Slutty): 2d6+3 8

Felicia should choose - give Donna a condition, or have her say something she'll regret.

Marking xp for rolling dark

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Mental, Bully, Prince, Interloper.

Lydia can have the condition 'Touchy Feely' in return

Of course she gets physical straight away, and tries to drive me off with a line about sewing. Unfortunately for her, she's hit on one of my (many) personal strengths - I loving love crafts, sewing and making costumes. I politely but firmly brush her hand off my knee and match her cold smile with one of my own.

"Oh, brilliant! I was going to have a stitch session myself, we should all team up! I have bunch of stuff left over from last season's theater group, and plenty of things to accessorize with! We can just blow the competition out of the water, right Felicia? And don't you worry, if some handsome prince doesn't snap you up before the event. I can just about guarantee all eyes will be on you once you make your entrance."

Eyes, not hands. Remember that, Lydia. I don't say that I wouldn't mind snapping Felicia up myself, not in class. Not with people this close. I settle for moving over to her desk and pulling my phone out to get her number.

"If you want we could all get together at lunch and make some plans, I have some pictures of the dress I'm thinking about altering as the base for my costume. Were you thinking long, short, plunging neckline, high collar, sleeves, strappy..."

I gesture on my body to the various regions I'm talking about, watching as Felicia's eyes follow my hands around.

Turn on Felecia (Rejected): 2d6 11

Gaining a string on Felicia

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Mental, Bully, Prince, Interloper.

Hmm. Opening skirmish inconclusive, but interesting anyway. This is why I like Lydia, I think. She makes the game so much more exciting, at least partly because she realizes it's happening.

"After class will be fine. I look forward to it."

It's even true. Good enemies are hard to find, and cultivating Lydia will be worth the effort. Even if I do have to crush her to secure my hold on Felicia. Which I might. I go back to my own desk, confident that things are going well on at least two fronts.. The racist sniping in the middle of the classroom is a distraction I could do without, frankly. Lau is involved, but a little help might not go astray.

"Hey Marshall, I don't know how you do things in 10M normally but around here we do strive for a little class. If you don't mind."

shut down charles: 2d6+1 7

he gains the condition Boorish

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Mental, Bully, Prince, Interloper, Bossy, Bad Hair Day

So many conditions! I'd like to remove Bully, because of the effort I went to to apologize to my victim.

I resist preening a bit when Felicia compliments me, even if it is aimed at Marshall.

"Thank you, Felecia, that's very kind of you to say."

If Charles wants to crack wise about my hair he should be the one remembering what happened to Linda Thompson, not me. I know he was there when it happened a couple of years ago, I hadn't had time to properly nail it down before school and it was a little bit frizzy and Linda was calling me 'frilly lizard' because of it. I bit my tongue, waited, and tripped her down the stairs after class. She broke her wrist, and no-one could prove it was me. I do get a bit sensitive about it looking like a crest or something, especially when I get angry, which is why I pretty much always have it tied back and locked down. Honestly not sure if that's even a dragon thing, or if I'm just being vain. I limit my response to rolling my eyes at him and filling a note away for revenge later.

(Also Felecia thinks I'm pretty, so ha ha ha, eat poo poo and die, Marshall. Compare your life to mine and weep in despair!)

Everything is going really really well, and I'm not going to ruin this moment by biting anyone's head off. Figuratively or literally. It is with a certain smug satisfaction that I start planning out the rest of my day, including what should be a very interesting lunch meeting.

Does she really think I'm pretty?

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 11, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Mental, Prince, Interloper, Bossy, Bad Hair Day

Sports really isn't a problem for me - I've said before I'm not much of a team player (unless I'm leading the team, of course) but in general competition and being physical are things I enjoy on a fairly basic level. Being outside in gym gear in this kind of weather is a different matter, of course. We could just as easily be doing something inside and avoid all the mud, but I'm not going to make a fuss. Especially not with Adams, who is about as sympathetic to pleas for mercy as the Spanish Inquisition and only slightly less brutal in her methods. And, ugh, wouldn't you know it I've left my gym socks at home. That leaves me with the unpleasant choice of wearing no socks out in this weather, or ruining the good pair I bought with me today. I'm contemplating my dilemma when Lydia comes up next to me and starts stripping off while she's talking about territory. Gah, give me a heart attack why don't you? I clear my throat and sit down to pull my shoes off.

"Yeah, this seems as good a time as any. Before we get started, I'd just like to say it's kind of...nice, I guess, having someone around who understands the importance of these things. Makes a change from having to deal with...people who don't get it."

Shoes, stockings and socks off I stand up again to put them in the locker. I've just finished unbuttoning my blouse when a thought strikes me. I lean in close, ignoring the way my blouse hangs open, and whisper:

"You, um, don't have a spare pare of gym socks, do you? Left mine at home, and I really don't want to be running around out there without a pair."

(Unintentional) Turn on Lydia (Touchy Feely): 2d6 9

Spend a string to make it 10, get the string back

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Mental, Prince, Interloper, Bossy, Bad Hair Day

I don't really think all that...wiggling...is necessary, Lydia! And getting up in my face to give me the socks is a bit...wait, this isn't about the socks anymore. Was it ever? I don't want to back down and lose whatever strange game we're playing now, but I also don't want to start making out with a girl in the locker room in front of everyone. Lydia may thrive on eccentricity but I prefer to be a little more low key. I take hold of the socks and stare back at her, swallowing down a stammer.

"This...this isn't really the right place. Or time. But, ah, I'm sure we can negotiate some kind of...territorial concessions. Later. Or I could help you with something...delicate..."

My normally versatile vocabulary is getting me nowhere useful. This is ridiculous, and my feet are getting cold. If I wait too much longer Adams is going to come bursting in to hurry us along which wouldn't normally bother me but today seems intolerable. I sigh and shake my head.

"What do you want?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I...alright, I don't actually mind this per se but it's a little forward, even by my standards. Lydia's finger on my face is very, very cold. What does she mean, what makes me tick? I like my lips and hesitate for a fraction of a second before nodding slowly.

"I technically already have a date. He's a nice boy and I'd hate to hurt him, plus I suspect the school won't allow us to...well, you get the idea. But I get the feeling we're both used to having to wear a mask. Before, after, and during, making allowances for keeping up appearances? Deal."

It's a fairly reasonable bargaining position, I think. Even for a trade struck wearing our knickers in the change room. I was worried she'd ask me for something that I wasn't prepared to compromise on, but luckily a snog and a dance or two isn't out of the question.

I think we're just about done bargaining when Felicia makes a sudden cry and bashes herself into a locker. Oh, now she's crying, dammit! I tug the socks out of Lydia's hands and go to make sure she isn't badly hurt.

"Felicia, are you alright? These rooms are a health and safety nightmare, aren't they?"

Now let's see, she's clearly conscious. No need to check a pulse or do CPR (pity)

Hold Steady to administer first aid: 2d6+1 8

Donna keeps cool in a crisis

Alright, she's not bleeding, hasn't broken anything that I can see. She might have a concussion, or be in shock. There's a checklist of things to do running through my head. In the training scenario I had more clothes on, though. I kneel down and rest her head on my thighs so that I can get a better look at her pupils.

"Listen, can you tell me your name? Where are you? Look at my finger, please. No, my finger. Follow the movement of my finger."

Totes unintentional Turn on Felecia (Personal Space Invader): 2d6 7

• Locked thread