Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blake Dunsmuir

Nursing his coffee- Black, with a triple shot of espresso- Blake sat in the back of the class, heavy bags under his eyes. As Andy sat beside him, Blade rolled his eyes. The boy was so deep in the closet that he probably barely realized himself. So naturally, having heard of this from Veraxes, Blake decided to seed the rumour mill. All it needed now was time. Taking a hard drink of his coffee, he sighed as Richard sat in front of him, blocking his view of Jessica. Two jocks around them, maybe he should introduce the two of them together. I mean both of them like getting hot, sweaty and tangling their legs together- they'd make a great match. As Mr Baker started his announcements, he perked up when Baker told him that the disco was still happening. If it was anything like last year, it was going to be boring- unless Blake could manage what he was planning. If he had his way, this dance would end up so much better.

Turning to Megan, Blake asked, "How was your weekend?"

quote:

[quote]Name: Blake Dunsmuir
Skin: The Infernal

Look
Tense
calculating Eyes

Origin
Bartered Soul

Stats

Hot -1
Cold -1
Volatile 1
Dark 2

Moves

Soul Debt: Veraxes the Trickster
Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. Choose two
Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold Strings
against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings against you,
trigger your Darkest Self.

Unknowable
When you lash out physically against someone, on a 10 up,
they lose 1 String on you. • On a 7-9, add to your list of
options: they lose 1 String on you.

Bargains

Strings Attached
You can ask the dark power for something that you really,
really want. The MC will attach a price to the thing you
want, and hint at an undesired twist in its nature. If you
pay the price, you’ll get what you’re after.

Elsewise Power
You can give the dark power a String to use a move you
don’t have, just this once. This move can come from any playbook.

Sex Move
When you have sex, the Dark Power loses a String on you and gains a string on whoever you had sex with

Darkest Self
You can't get what you need, anymore. The world has left you cold and alone, shivering in the wake of your own addictions. The dark power will make some open ended demands of you, and it'll promise you some lucrative (and perhaps volatile) things in return. Every demand you fulfill brings you a little closer to feeling whole again, to rekindling the fire in your heart. Whenever you fulfill those demands, remove a String it holds on you. You escape your Darkest Self when the dark power has no more Strings on you, or when you agree to an even worse bargain with an even more dangerous dark power.

Interconnection

You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.]

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

I have 1 string on Pippa
I have 1 string on Megan

Backstory
Blake Dunsmuir isn't an ordinary soul. Bounced around from foster home to foster home, I never really made friends, at school or elsewhere. as I'd never know if I was going to another school next year, or even mid-semester. The good homes, they were good but they were few and far between. At the bad homes... well, it's best not to talk about it. Except that's where I met Rebecca. She was the one who led me to Him. She had this old book- she lifted it from her previous foster home- and in it was His name- Veraxes. Reading on, the book told us what he could do for us, how it could make our lives better, we just had to do a little ritual.

When we completed the ritual, we got what we wanted. Rebecca, she got magic. Me, I found my way out. I asked Veraxes to get rid me out of that home, find me someplace stable. So he did. The next day Rebecca went insane, started cursing the foster family- literally, their skin was sloughing off and rotting. She went to the asylum, I went back to the temp home- ritual book in tow- and those fucker's deaths were never explained. A couple days later, a pair of rich folks- Rosemary and Ian Dunsmuir- came by, looking to adopt, and they picked me. Whispering a thank you to Veraxes, I kept the tome nearby from then on. That was about five years ago now.

About a year later, the Dunsmuirs enrolled me at Saint Andrew's, to 'sharpen me up' and 'increase the chances of going to Oxford'. I don't know what's funnier, a foster kid like me in a fancy-pants school, or that I'm going to a Catholic school and I literally make deals with the Devil.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blake Dunsmuir
Hot: -1 Cold: -1 Volatile: 1 Dark: 2
Harm: 0/4| Experience 0/5| Conditions:

"Glad one of us got some sleep." Blake gave a wan smile, "Though from what it looks like, you're outright lying to me. My weekend, I guess was a bit more eventful than yours, but not really by a ton Spent a bit of time doing stuff for the dance Friday. Besides that, not a lot. The crash put a lot on my mind I guess."

Blake leaned back in his chair, eyes closing for a brief moment The train was packed, enough that most of the seats were filled on this cart. He looked at his Rolex- 7:06. Then everything went to hell. The brakes screeched as a rumble rattled throughout the car. Then, the screaming started. Blake jolted, looking around, realizing that only a couple seconds had passed.

Wiping his face, he placed back on a tense smile, hoping that Megan passed it off as him falling asleep in class rather than anything else.

"Won't tell Baker if you put your head down for a couple minutes if you need a bit of a nap."

berenzen fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 10, 2015

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blake Dunsmuir

I scoffed when Megan mentioned Jessica. She was insanely hot, but... "I'm pretty sure I'd be left bloody and bruised if I did anything more than a glance at Jessica. I mean, every drat jock is jockeying to sit around Jess. If it wasn't for Pippa, I'm sure that Jay would be sitting where she is right now. Not to mention she'd probably laugh in my face if I even asked, the girls is far, far out of my league."

Running his hands through my hair, I receded into my thoughts momentarily, half-listening to Megan, completely oblivious to her flirting. I suppose that I haven't asked anyone yet, and Megan is a very obvious and pretty good choice, maybe she'd actually say yes. I opened my mouth to ask her out before pausing. poo poo, I was just talking about Jessica. If I ask Megan out now, she's just going to think I'm settling. I have to phrase this right.

Putting my finger to my lips, I gave a small secretive smile, "I'm keeping my ultimate plans for the dance a secret. Typically these things are a bit boring, but they really only need a bit of a push in order for things to get exciting. With old Pruett gone, everyone really wants the pick-me-up, so it's not going to take much. Now that you mention it though, I don't have a date, and I think I'd enjoy a pretty girl on my arm. You want to come with me on Friday?"

Turning Megan on (Hot): 2d6-1 4
nope

I tensed up, that was pretty pathetic, even to my ears. Why the hell did I mention Pruett? 'Cause nothing turns a girl on more than talking about an old dead priest. gently caress me, I'm a god damned mess. I need to sleep.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 10, 2015

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blake Dunsmuir

Well gently caress, I've seen sniggers and disgust from people, but I can't say I've gotten looks of outright horror from girls I've asked out before. I mean, this tops the time that I tripped when going up the stairs and spilled cranberry juice all over queen bee Melissa Ashby's white sweater, in front of all of her friends. She and her clique made sure that my life was made a living hell for a few weeks after that. That was bad, this was worse. Now, it looks like I'm in damage control. Jesus, maybe, just maybe I could salvage this friendship. Just, how do you go about forgetting the abject fear that someone had on their face because you asked them on a harmless date? I guess, to start is to try and make them forget it.

"Forget I said anything." I quickly backpedaled, slapping on a smile. How do you handle someone who is horrified that you asked them out. This whole thing was a train... I quickly quash the rising 'memory'. Well there's one phrase I'll never be able to use again. The whole thing was a wreck, and if it had been anyone else, I'm sure I would have relished in the schadenfreude.

Opening up my notebook, I buried myself in my notes, studiously ignoring everyone adjacent to me. There was a bit of a commotion in the front of the class- looks like Edward got himself served by Jessica and Donna. Ah well, he's a sleazy rear end in a top hat anyway.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blake Dunsmuir

Hearing the conversation in front of me, all I could think is perfect. The good books of two cute girls, not to mention that I'm pretty sure that Pippa tried to set me up with Elise at some point. Being on the decoration team would be a perfect cover for making sure that this disco becomes the party we all need. Plus I have to get away from talking to Megan right now after that massive fumble I had earlier. Plus, if I got in their good books enough, there's was a chance that either Elise or Pippa would accompany me to the dance. Elise was more likely, considering Pippa massive not-really-secret crush on Jayson. Not to mention that she also plays matchmaker for me whenever we go out, I don't think she knows I know, but I don't mind. I don't really know why she does it, be I'm honestly not really going to complain, any time I hang out with her I get a cute girl sitting beside me. I don't think any of them have really kept my attention past a date or two, but still, it's nice.

"You're looking for people to put up decorations? Not to butt in on your conversation, but I'd be willing to help out. As it is, it looks like I'm not doing much before the dance on Friday. I mean, it sounds that you're short hands, and I'm have an available set." I ask Elise, leaning in front of my desk before Pippa pipes up. Waiting for her to finish, he continues, "And it looks like you have even more support as well. Still, decorating sounds likes it could be a lot of fun."

Looking as Jessica, I started a bit. She didn't seem like the type to decorate, but hey, like Pippa said, good place to be seen. Looking at the two still in the conversation, I asked, "What are you two ladies doing for your costuming? I have most of mine put together, I just wanted to get a little bit more inspiration."

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blake Dunsmuir
Harm: 0/4| Experience 1/5| Conditions:

"Honestly, the best way is to avoid the stuff that the costume stores sell. It's cheap as hell unless you're spending a couple hundred pounds, and at that point you might as well commission or rent something from a prop store." I started replying to Pippa, before Megan started to speak beside me. I paused in incredulity as I caught Megan's response. I know I asked her to forget about it, but jesus that's cold. I just asked her and she completely brushed me by the wayside. Stunned, I shook my head before opening my mouth.

"Wow Megan, I thought you were nice, you loving bitch. gently caress me, I thought we were friends" the words left my mouth before I thought about any ramifications that they might have. Perhaps it was a little too loud, I realized, shutting up before I could say anything else too damning. Still, it took a lot of effort, that was frigid.

Shutting Megan Down (cold): 2d6-1 6
Well, I'll take the experience I guess

Edit: Pounds not Dollars

berenzen fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 12, 2015

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blake Dunsmuir

"Really? You're going to play it coy for something that happened what, 3 minutes ago?" Blake's features tensed as he tried not to raise his voice, or at least not any louder than he already was, "Look, I get it. You don't want to go with me to the dance, that's fine. But saying that nobody asked you out yet, passing me off like I'm nothing. Then you claim that that you did nothing? That's loving cold."

Trying to Shut down Megan... again (Cold): 2d6-1 8
I give Megan the condition Frigid Bitch, Rauri gives one to me

Turning to Thom, who stepped up to defend her, I sneer, "Really, I'm surprised that you're making that claim, considering that I'm pretty sure that you're getting close to her just so you can get in her pants."

Shutting Thom Down (Cold): 2d6-1 10
Giving Thom the condition: Nice Guy

[edit]: Added in a missing word for better syntax

berenzen fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 13, 2015

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blake Dunsmuir

Yeah, I was an rear end in a top hat. I'll admit that, but as soon as I finished my tirade I felt a bit of pressure relieved. A bit of approval from Veraxes I guess. I'll take anything to get out of the red after the train. When the bell rings, I grab my bag and quickly leave the class. When I got out of the class, I set my bag on a nearby wall, wiping my face in my hands, trying to wash the fatigue away. I couldn't really tell how much self-control I had from the lack of sleep. Either way, I didn't just torch that bridge, I dropped a thermonuclear device on it, Letting out a long suffering sigh, I picked my bag up, downed the rest of my coffee and headed to Maths.

I typically enjoyed Maths, though that last bit of homework was actually tricky. I ended up consulting Veraxes on a couple of them. The cost was fairly negligible as well. Yeah, I know I could have used something like Wolfram-Alpha, but whatever, the job was pretty easy. All I needed to do was vandalize a local bakery. Not terribly either, I just needed to throw a cinderblock through the window last night- probably wasn't contributing to the lack of sleep. Still, I think I saw some mice and rats climbing into the window, going after the free food. The trickiest part was making sure that I got away before the bobbies came by. Still, it got me the answers, and the requisite knowledge to complete it in the future 'for doing a good job' is what Veraxes said.

Trying to studiously ignore all the stares he was getting from that fight last period, he grabbed his notebook and started to take notes from the lesson. After all, how else are you going to learn Math, aside from practising and doing party favours for infernal beings?

berenzen fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 13, 2015

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blake Dunsmuir
Harm: 0/4| Experience 1/5| Conditions: Bully

As Miss Price drones on I can feel myself nodding off. drat it, the coffee's wearing off, gotta keep awake unless I wanted to keep Pippa company in detention. While I think Pippa would be good company, it's not exactly any sort of ideal location. Still, it feels like there are anvils tied to my eyelids as I blink a couple times to keep awake.

"Hey, keep awake" I hear Elise speak, and feel greatful for the save, before he continues, a piece of paper folded beyond any sort of sense lands on my desk. Turning around to see who threw it, I see Megan smile lightly before going back to staring at her desk. Opening the letter hesitantly- this could either go really well or really poorly- I surreptitiously read it before putting it in my pocket. It was a good apology. What caused the quick turn-around though? Pulling out a pen, I write out a response.

A note in response posted:

Apology Accepted, I was a gigantic rear end in a top hat as well. Catch you at lunch?

-B

Folding the note, I toss it back to Megan's desk before turning back to Elise.

"Sorry 'bout that." I stifle a yawn before continuing, "You catch that episode of Causalty on Saturday? It was a depressing episode. I dunno if the show'll be the same without Jeff. I mean, I'm sure it'll still be good, but drat, it's an end of an era."

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blake Dunsmuir
Harm: 0/4| Experience 1/5| Conditions: Bully

Ah, gently caress. I got Megan in trouble. I'm about to open my mouth, tell her that I was the one who passed it, then the bell rang. Getting up, I mouth 'sorry' to Megan before leaving for music. Maybe later in the day I'll see if I can talk Miss Price out of it. Music itself wasn't really all that interesting, the band prof managed to get ahold of the sheet music from the divergent series, so we've been playing that a fair bit recently and that's been fun. Otherwise, it's band so it's not the most exciting class in the world.

When the lunch bell rang, I started to get a couple butterflies. I mean, I was owning up to being an rear end in a top hat here and that was going to be hard. Grabbing some 'food' from the cafeteria, I turn around, looking for Megan- there, at the far wall. Walking towards her, I notice Jess pull Thom off to the side, giving her a nod before continuing my trek towards Megan's table. By the time I actually get there, Megan's nose deep in a book. Taking a deep breath in, I try to compose a thought that wouldn't be completely assholish, and would manage to successfully set first stone to rebuilding this bridge.

"Men-at-arms. Good choice," I say as I finally managed to say something, "I'm a bigger fan of Going Postal myself but really, pretty well all of Pratchett's works are amazing."

Taking a deep breath, I continue, "Look, I wanted to say that I'm sorry about this morning. I was a gigantic rear end in a top hat and I'll own up to it. I've been getting really poor sleep recently and it's been making me irritable, and kinda bitchy. I'm not gonna ask you to the dance or anything, I don't think that's exactly all that appropriate after what I did this morning. I'm just putting forward a peace offering, and maybe we can start rebuilding the bridge that I kinda-sorta napalmed. I get it if you want to cool off- particularly after I got you in trouble in Maths- and you want to take it slow. But I think you're rad, and I'd like to keep you friendship"

Taking a look around, I notice Thom is still getting his time taken up by Jess. Good, I didn't need him trying to gently caress everything up here. Was he getting a bit bothered? I chuckle a bit before pointing him out to Megan, "I think the lioness is making her play there, Thom is going to start living in interesting times. Everyone is going to wonder what she sees in him, and every jock in the school is going to try and emulate him."

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blake Dunsmuir
Harm: 0/4| Experience 1/5| Conditions: Bully, Drained

Looking at Megan's biscuit I resisted taking it for myself. I was still pretty hungry. I eyed the biscuit, she wouldn't be mad if I took half, would she? Best not to risk it. Particularly considering I just patched up our relationship, no need to breach trust, even over something minor as a biscuit.

How to deal with Thom? He'll be pestersome, perhaps Veraxes might be willing to step in. I'll have to ask him later- or you know, if you're listening in like you usually do, now- nothing permanent though. As for Megan, I trace her as she leaves the cafeteria. Hopefully she comes back, it'd be good to continue our converstation. I think the easiest way to ask her out for the dance would be to let this pass, see if I can grab her after her detention, maybe, ask her again then.

using Strings Attached to remove Thom from the running with Megan.

I suppose the last thing would be to try and figure out some great inspiration for how to pump up this party on Friday. I knew a few things that I wanted to do- get a far better soundtrack was a start- but beyond that I needed more. I wanted this to be a loving party nobody would ever forget.

Putting in earbuds, I turn on some music before leaning back against the table, closing my eyes and looking at the ceiling watching as the lights begin to blur out.

Gazing into the Abyss for inspiration (dark): 2d6+2 9

Going to go with the visions are lucid and detailed, but they leave you with the condition Drained

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blake Dunsmuir
Harm: 0/4| Experience 1/5| Conditions: Bully, Drained

Well, that was novel. That was probably the oddest way that Veraxes had ever contacted me, though not by much. There was that time that he decided to contact me all Matrix-style on my computer. That was amusing to watch, for being of ultimate evil, he definitely had a sense of humor and creativity. I smiled as I listened on. Alcohol was a given, really but... he was willing to give me some, that made things interesting. I mean, infernal liqueur could only make things absolutely interesting.

Watching Jessica book it out of the cafeteria, I grab Megan's plate before moving towards Donna and Pippa. Staggering a bit, I finally managed to find my feet. I was feeling exhausted, through and through. It'd been a bad day, and it was only halfway done. Taking my headphones out, I wrap them up before speaking.

"Is she all right?" I ask the pair wearily nodding towards the way that Jess went, "She booked it out of there pretty quickly."

• Locked thread