Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
well almost infinite like infinity -1

it explains the meaningless of life... of posting in gbs.

just think of all the things that could go wrong in some other world above our simulation and we get hosed.

like it could be a world of nothing and then some gay equilibrium of some poo poo that measures nothing is reached for no loving reason at all and then it explodes boom ur dead

or somewhere we are run on some gently caress boys Andurd phone so it's probably running xXxWeedGokuxXx69s cryogenic mod 3333199 edition so if he ever tries to do anything but torrent anime boom ur dead

gently caress the speed of light that don't mean poo poo when you have access to higher dimensions. so we can't even comprehend how bad we are hosed. boom ur dead

and the worst part is all we get to do in our simulation is wall people in and watch them piss and cry until they die of starvation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

uG posted:

and the best part is all we get to do in our simulation is wall people in and watch them piss and cry until they die of starvation.

:gizz:

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Fart

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I like the word "burlap" because it's one of the few words you can yell really loud while barfing

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Or maybe making a simulation of a universe is impossible and it's not, idiot

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
somethingawful is just a simulation

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
lol just lol if you believe the reality you exist in now is the "actual reality" rather than just a computer simulation centered around me

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

dont think any simulation would allow 9/11 to happen op

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

Concerned Citizen posted:

lol just lol if you believe the reality you exist in now is the "actual reality" rather than just a computer simulation centered around me

if he die we will all die this is what in talking about

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Can I switch to Ka-50 Black Shark or Arma or something

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

uG posted:

well almost infinite like infinity -1

it explains the meaningless of life... of posting in gbs.

just think of all the things that could go wrong in some other world above our simulation and we get hosed.

like it could be a world of nothing and then some gay equilibrium of some poo poo that measures nothing is reached for no loving reason at all and then it explodes boom ur dead

or somewhere we are run on some gently caress boys Andurd phone so it's probably running xXxWeedGokuxXx69s cryogenic mod 3333199 edition so if he ever tries to do anything but torrent anime boom ur dead

gently caress the speed of light that don't mean poo poo when you have access to higher dimensions. so we can't even comprehend how bad we are hosed. boom ur dead

and the worst part is all we get to do in our simulation is wall people in and watch them piss and cry until they die of starvation.

you're probably really high but yeah

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
the most immediate basis for knowledge i have is that i experience phenomena. what exactly phenomena are and the necessary characteristics of entities that experience phenomena is less certain

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

but you shouldn't worry about something 'happening', there is no reason to believe that time wouldn't be one of the simulated dimensions and thus the state of the simulator would never effect you. it might be calculating one particle's entire lifespan at once, and then moving on to the next, or in reverse (since, tellingly, our physics is reversible), or it might

but every simulation is as valid as all the others, and the simulators since they're all internally consistent.

furthermore your consciousness, as a pattern, would be expressed an infinite number of times in every possible system and state and age and thus you will never die, your illusion of continuity will continue forever

what's really going to blow your face off is the realisation that it doesn't matter if a virtual (or physical, they're fundamentally identical) universe containing you is ever run, or ever written. the mere fact that you could exist means mathematically you always have, you as a system will always be true, or valid, or 'real' whether there is anyone around to prove it or not.

all an emulator or a computer can ever do is calculate a fact that has always existed. for instance, say you (and your immediate sensorium) being emulated in linear time, and the people running the emulators push the pause button, halting the calculation of your consciousness between moments. they could save the state to disk, destroy the hardware, build a whole new fancier system, and resume you at three times their speed, but to you, life will have never missed a beat.

what if they fast forward to 5 seconds in the future to see what you would be doing then, cache the state, and then go back to now? of course, everything seems to be in order for you. what if they copy the disk, change it to a different format entirely? of course, that doesn't matter, data is data, a pattern is a pattern. what if they copy the data to a literal cloud of dust, which could then be read out by a computer? again, just a format change. what if the cloud dissolves but they just write it to a different cloud, in a different place? what if the universe, or some universe, is infinite enough that it can contain every possible cloud of dust. considering that the fact or minutiae of a computer correctly computing the answer to a calculation cannot effect the solution, it can't matter if it ever gets read.

now you can just generalise that to every possible self-consistent pattern and you realise that having clouds of dust is just a physical handle to a deeper truth, that calculation reveals every true reality, because the only requirement for being real is being true and the nature of reality is, every self-consistent mathematical structure exists. boom.

i hate everything
Oct 15, 2010
There's only one thing that matters in this world. The feeling of writing on a piece of soft rubber with a ball point pen.

i hate everything
Oct 15, 2010
Also nothing matters. Lol if that thought doesn't swell your chest with happiness.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

sometimes I just think about how incredible it is that bats, humans, and dogs essentially have the same skeleton with different bits stretched out or shortened

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

life is beautiful and terrible

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

now you're thinking with portals

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

chaosbreather posted:

now you're thinking with portals

feel shame

i hate everything
Oct 15, 2010
You guys ever think about the inability of the human mind to comprehend death in the first person? Like do we just live forever? As we get closer and closer to death. We can't stop living. Living is comprehending.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Portals posted:

feel shame

all i feel is delicious and moist

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

chaosbreather posted:

all i feel is delicious and moist

your hand is in the cake

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Eat poo poo coming from my bumhole OP! I'm serving my dookie up 24/7, nonstop stream, water going straight into my veins, food pumped right into my stomach, digestive enyzmes being blasted down my gullet! This poo poo is hot, and it's happening right HERE! poo poo streaming into OP's mouth NONSTOP for 24/7, for EIGHT WEEKS STRAIGHT.

DO NOT miss out!!!

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED

chaosbreather posted:

but you shouldn't worry about something 'happening', there is no reason to believe that time wouldn't be one of the simulated dimensions and thus the state of the simulator would never effect you. it might be calculating one particle's entire lifespan at once, and then moving on to the next, or in reverse (since, tellingly, our physics is reversible), or it might

but every simulation is as valid as all the others, and the simulators since they're all internally consistent.

furthermore your consciousness, as a pattern, would be expressed an infinite number of times in every possible system and state and age and thus you will never die, your illusion of continuity will continue forever

what's really going to blow your face off is the realisation that it doesn't matter if a virtual (or physical, they're fundamentally identical) universe containing you is ever run, or ever written. the mere fact that you could exist means mathematically you always have, you as a system will always be true, or valid, or 'real' whether there is anyone around to prove it or not.

all an emulator or a computer can ever do is calculate a fact that has always existed. for instance, say you (and your immediate sensorium) being emulated in linear time, and the people running the emulators push the pause button, halting the calculation of your consciousness between moments. they could save the state to disk, destroy the hardware, build a whole new fancier system, and resume you at three times their speed, but to you, life will have never missed a beat.

what if they fast forward to 5 seconds in the future to see what you would be doing then, cache the state, and then go back to now? of course, everything seems to be in order for you. what if they copy the disk, change it to a different format entirely? of course, that doesn't matter, data is data, a pattern is a pattern. what if they copy the data to a literal cloud of dust, which could then be read out by a computer? again, just a format change. what if the cloud dissolves but they just write it to a different cloud, in a different place? what if the universe, or some universe, is infinite enough that it can contain every possible cloud of dust. considering that the fact or minutiae of a computer correctly computing the answer to a calculation cannot effect the solution, it can't matter if it ever gets read.

now you can just generalise that to every possible self-consistent pattern and you realise that having clouds of dust is just a physical handle to a deeper truth, that calculation reveals every true reality, because the only requirement for being real is being true and the nature of reality is, every self-consistent mathematical structure exists. boom.

same

i hate everything
Oct 15, 2010

JebanyPedal posted:

Eat poo poo coming from my bumhole OP! I'm serving my dookie up 24/7, nonstop stream, water going straight into my veins, food pumped right into my stomach, digestive enyzmes being blasted down my gullet! This poo poo is hot, and it's happening right HERE! poo poo streaming into OP's mouth NONSTOP for 24/7, for EIGHT WEEKS STRAIGHT.

DO NOT miss out!!!

You're one of my favorite posters.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Kinda makes you think

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
i dont thinktho

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
where does schizophrenia come in?

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

chaosbreather posted:

an outsider could change our laws of physics or blow kush smoke through a black hole into earth and math can't say poo poo about it as you experience every second of it. we have limitations but not the same as those above us. basically we are like black peolel but our slave owners have magic powers.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Wouldn't that make the top level simulation freeze all the time?

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Applewhite posted:

Wouldn't that make the top level simulation freeze all the time?

There is no top level simulation. Each simulation is a simplification of the one that spawned it, eventually it gets so simplified that the number one itself becomes sentient, and this creates the infinitely complex universe from which all others are spawned.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

monkey posted:

There is no top level simulation. Each simulation is a simplification of the one that spawned it, eventually it gets so simplified that the number one itself becomes sentient, this creates the infinitely complex universe from which all others are spawned.

Highly dubious imo.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
its fractals man

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

the only thing that matters is rubbing my glans up against this shampoo bottle

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
you need a gf to stpo thikning like this op

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_automaton

this could be the foundation of understanding intergalactic teleportation. mannnnn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

1gnoirents posted:

you need a gf to stpo thikning like this op

in another simulation i have 4 gfs

• Locked thread