Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Frog Act posted:

so why am i looking at 200 pictures of grisly, deformed penises?

what is this? where am i? where are my false teeth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:nws: http://naijablab.blogspot.com/2014/11/religious-insanity-in-africa.html

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
General Buck Naked said that they cross dress to confuse the bullets. I'm the guy who suffered from nose pulling.

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.

It's like someone swapped the race and head in a character creator but left the rest alone.

(I bet he could beat you up though)

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gentwise posted:

It's like someone swapped the race and head in a character creator but left the rest alone.

(I bet he could beat you up though)

redguards are naturally better warriors

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mooseykins posted:

Liberia is my favourite.

is that a dude in the dress? i cant tell

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

StashAugustine posted:

is that a dude in the dress? i cant tell

it's a male child

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It confuses the bullets so he doesn't get shot.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Gulf of Guinea region has legit centuries old ritual warfare practices, including use of costumes, with the general purpose of creating "Darkness", i.e. confusing the enemy, and concealing oneself in a variety of both symbolic and literal ways. Naturally the results are bizarre when combined with firearms and bands of child soldiers. Interestingly the idea of wearing various costumes and amulets to literally "confuse bullets" was mainstream in Europe as well, but it slowly went out of favour between the late 17th and 19th century.

I have a paper saved on the topic of ritual warfare in Sierra Leone if anybody is interested

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

This was not the best link to click on, having been circumcised earlier last month, I have to admit.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

The Gulf of Guinea region has legit centuries old ritual warfare practices, including use of costumes, with the general purpose of creating "Darkness", i.e. confusing the enemy, and concealing oneself in a variety of both symbolic and literal ways. Naturally the results are bizarre when combined with firearms and bands of child soldiers. Interestingly the idea of wearing various costumes and amulets to literally "confuse bullets" was mainstream in Europe as well, but it slowly went out of favour between the late 17th and 19th century.

I have a paper saved on the topic of ritual warfare in Sierra Leone if anybody is interested

I am super interested in that paper.

Also, I think the idea of "confusing bullets" fell out of favor about the time guns became accurate enough to aim at a specific person, rather then "that group of dudes over there".

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Confusing bullets is witchcraft and witchcraft will never fall out of favor.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

bunnielab posted:

I am super interested in that paper.

Also, I think the idea of "confusing bullets" fell out of favor about the time guns became accurate enough to aim at a specific person, rather then "that group of dudes over there".

Here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iy22kn59hos4j7r/werk2.1.pdf?dl=0

Also I think it had more to do with armies becoming more regular, unifrom and drilled. People remained as superstitious as ever, but now there were officers to punish them for acting on their superstitions.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I hope Wedding Dress Dude finds another white glove, otherwise no bullet is gonna get confused by that poo poo.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cthulu Carl posted:

I hope Wedding Dress Dude finds another white glove, otherwise no bullet is gonna get confused by that poo poo.

poo poo outta luck.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Mooseykins posted:

poo poo outta luck.

i hope they are all dead now. that is my hope.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mooseykins posted:

poo poo outta luck.

I hope the RPG dude gets smoked.

Socks and sandals ain't gonna confuse bullets, son. It's just gonna make 'em mad!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iy22kn59hos4j7r/werk2.1.pdf?dl=0

Also I think it had more to do with armies becoming more regular, unifrom and drilled. People remained as superstitious as ever, but now there were officers to punish them for acting on their superstitions.

That is an awful scan but even the first page or two is super interesting, thanks!

I would say that you point is valid, but only in that superstitions became more about surviving being shot and less about avoiding being shot. Hell, I still think pocket sized "bullet proof bibles" are still being sold. But in any case the physical part of said superstitions became way more hidden to be sure.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Ahhhhh. OTURUGBEKE....dis na d original BUTT-CHEEKS in motion. Hehehe!!! I no fit laugh o.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i get all my news at http://ynaija.com/, The Internet News Source For Young Nigerians

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

LoG posted:

I read a book about it many years ago

The Bang Bang Club, right? Really, a pro-tier book filled with amazing photos of people forced to wear car tires around their necks filled with burning gasoline and dudes getting shot in the street. 10/10

Wartime photojournalists become some truly damaged people.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Another pro-tip documentary about Africa: My Neighbour, My Killer - mainly about one farming community in Rwanda, and how it handles the reintegration of Hutu genocidaires, about their importance for revitalizing the village, and about the role of the gacaca courts.

http://www.gacacafilms.com/index.html

It can be rented for online streaming relatively cheaply, the cost for getting a permanent copy is absurd.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Goat Simulator is really fun as the Tall Goat.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Frog Act posted:

i get all my news at http://ynaija.com/, The Internet News Source For Young Nigerians
Strange owl appears in Delta govt house, gets flogged to death

Well, I am sold.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The lady, whose name was withheld, was gripped with fear and raised an alarm which attracted others who were trying to settle down for the day’s job at about 8 am.A source who spoke to the newspaper, said the owl was flogged to death and set ablaze by the workers who saw its appearance as a sign of bad omen.
He added that songs of praises and worship were sung to adore the Almighty God for the few persons who picked up courage and moved against the strange bird.

I can relate to that

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

super macho dude posted:

The Bang Bang Club, right? Really, a pro-tier book filled with amazing photos of people forced to wear car tires around their necks filled with burning gasoline and dudes getting shot in the street. 10/10

Wartime photojournalists become some truly damaged people.

they made a movie about it too apparently

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
if i were a woman solo backpacking, would i be better off visiting india or africa?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

The lady, whose name was withheld, was gripped with fear and raised an alarm which attracted others who were trying to settle down for the day’s job at about 8 am.A source who spoke to the newspaper, said the owl was flogged to death and set ablaze by the workers who saw its appearance as a sign of bad omen.
He added that songs of praises and worship were sung to adore the Almighty God for the few persons who picked up courage and moved against the strange bird.

I can relate to that

just another day at the nigerian office

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Zzulu posted:

they made a movie about it too apparently

yeah, it was poo poo. one of those many instances where after I read the book, I thought to myself they should make this a great documentary. instead its a poo poo movie with ryan phillipe. fuckin africa.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

if i were a woman solo backpacking, would i be better off visiting india or africa?

Just no.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Why would a woman go solo backpacking anywhere in the world?

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

I wouldnt even trust backpacking in Indiana

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
i feel like canada would be pretty safe for a woman to backpack alone through?

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

sure, just stay away from the trans-canada highway 16
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_of_Tears_murders

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Maybe the American southwest so you could at least carry a pistol with you?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

super macho dude posted:

yeah, it was poo poo. one of those many instances where after I read the book, I thought to myself they should make this a great documentary. instead its a poo poo movie with ryan phillipe. fuckin africa.

Any examples about why it was poo poo? Was gonna watch it, but now I'm not sure.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Mooseykins posted:

poo poo outta luck.

Johnny mad dog is a good movie

• Locked thread