Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Car leasing is so stupid.

You're throwing money away. When the lease is up...you don't even have a car to show for it!

I'm gonna drive my 1996 Ford Taurus into the ground, I'll tell you what. The transmission just went - should only cost about $4000 to fix. I already replaced it once. The brakes are due again, they keep slipping when I try to stop. Gotta buy snow tires again this year since I don't have that newfangled anti-lock brake poo poo. Only had to spend $1000 this year to fix the muffler and get it to pass inspection!

Car leasing is so expensive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This guy gets what I mean

http://www.slayerment.com/new-cars-are-poor-people

quote:

People with new cars aren't fooling anybody: they're making payments and they're poor. I just can't seem to comprehend why people think it is so important to drive a new car. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Most new cars people drive usually cost around $20 - $30k. But people don't BUY new cars -- they lease them or make payments on them. And with new cars comes full insurance coverage. So when people buy new cars they are really making payments and then paying another $100+/mo for insurance. Moreover, as soon as you drive a new car off the lot it drops at least 10 - 20% in value. Every way you look at driving a new car is a loss. Does this sound like something a rich person would do?

But for some reason people still think that a new car is a sign of being successful, special, intelligent or rich. It means none of these things. When I see somebody driving a new car I immediately know they are poor. I know this because most people are poor. And if everybody is driving new cars then these people are poor. If you're like most people you're not special. Most people make payments on cars they can't afford. Congratulations, you're average making below average decisions. Everybody on the road also has a new car that they can't afford. Way to stand out and be different.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Muerte posted:

The trick is to buy cheap used luxury cars, they still look nice and you can just say I love this car I'll never get rid of it. You cant exactly say that with a 99' Prelude. This way you don't spend a lot of money and you don't look poor!

Luxury? I just installed a new cup holder in my Taurus.

:colbert:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Adiabatic posted:

OP, car buying is for fools. Why spend a bunch of money you don't have right now (gotta get designer furniture for your chic 600 sq ft apartment) on a hunk o junk you won't get laid with, when a dealership could set you up on an 84 month lease?

You don't even have to know the full amount of what you're paying. Just hand over a certain amount per month for the rest of your life and always be driving new-ish bland econobox transportation appliances! Interest? Equity? That talk's for poors.

I have so much equity in my car! The local dealer says if I put $2000 worth of work into it and make it look presentable, they'll give me $1000 for it! Isn't that awesome? I dropped collision years ago because that poo poo's for suckers. Now all I have to do is repair the front end that got crushed when I slid into a lightpole and I'll get ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS, I'll tell you what.

:911:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chinatown posted:

Leasing is good. It allows some other idiot to eat the depreciation and I get to buy a very nice car with low mileage 2-3 years later for a good price after they trade it in.

Leasing or buying a brand new car is dumb as poo poo.

Hi, I am leasing a new $20,000 car ($24,000 after sales tax) - I'll trade it in and lease a new car worth the same amount every 3 years

1st car (3 year lease): $8000 including down payment, 35,000 miles when turned in
2nd car (3 year lease): $8000 including down payment, 35,000 miles when turned in
3rd car (3 year lease): $8000 including down payment, 35,000 miles when turned in

After 9 years: $24000 paid, nothing paid in maintenance

Hi, I am buying the same $24,000 car used after it was just leased for 3 years

1st car (3 years old): $16000 after sales tax, 35,000 miles on odometer
WARRANTY EXPIRES AFTER YEAR 5
1st car (6 years old): $8000 trade in value, 70,000 miles on odometer
YOUR TRANSMISSION AND BRAKES JUST WENT - THAT'S $4000 PLEASE
1st car (9 years old): $4000 trade in value, 105,000 miles on odometer

After 6 years of ownership: $16000 paid, plus $4000 in maintenance costs = $20,000 paid

BUT SIR I CAN TRADE IT IN AND RECOUP MY COSTS

Ok fine. The local dealer accepts your 9 year old car for $4000. You ended up paying a net of $16,000 for 6 years of ownership. Which works out to $8000 for 3 years of ownership. Which is the same loving thing you pay for leasing.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Waltzing Along posted:

This car? It's mine and always has been mine.

It's actually the bank's car until you're done paying off the loan - and when it's actually yours, (I'm assuming you're on a 6 year loan) the car will be worth 1/3 of what you paid for it

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dick Fagballzson posted:

My 2002 Accord runs great and has required no maintenence other than oil, tires, and brakes. I bought it new in 2002 with cash and have had no problems with it.

Your car has issues:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2002/

How many miles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

psyman posted:

Normal cars are lame, buy a velomobile pod car and stop wasting fuel+space lugging empty seats around. These are recumbent tricycles that can have an electric assist added as well, and the pedal power is about 4x more than a normal bicycle so it can be used for longer mid-range commutes. The majority of able bodied people could feasibly replace their car with a velomobile for city driving, as you can easily hit 30+ MPH and don't have to worry about parking as they only weigh about 30kgs and can be carried inside. They do cost upwards of $5k-$10k though:

Flevobike Orca

OceanCycle Challenger

Yeah that'll work great in snow

• Locked thread