Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
I drive a car with 250,000 miles that's older than me and I probably spend $150 a year tops on service, maybe 500 if you include restoration stuff.

EugeneJ posted:

Car leasing is so stupid.

You're throwing money away. When the lease is up...you don't even have a car to show for it!

I'm gonna drive my 1996 Ford Taurus into the ground, I'll tell you what. The transmission just went - should only cost about $4000 to fix. I already replaced it once. The brakes are due again, they keep slipping when I try to stop. Gotta buy snow tires again this year since I don't have that newfangled anti-lock brake poo poo. Only had to spend $1000 this year to fix the muffler and get it to pass inspection!

Car leasing is so expensive!

wow you spent $4000 for one of the easiest transmissions to find in a wrecking yard to put in a car worth $3000 on a good day

EugeneJ posted:

Hi, I am leasing a new $20,000 car ($24,000 after sales tax) - I'll trade it in and lease a new car worth the same amount every 3 years

1st car (3 year lease): $8000 including down payment, 35,000 miles when turned in
2nd car (3 year lease): $8000 including down payment, 35,000 miles when turned in
3rd car (3 year lease): $8000 including down payment, 35,000 miles when turned in

After 9 years: $24000 paid, nothing paid in maintenance

Hi, I am buying the same $24,000 car used after it was just leased for 3 years

1st car (3 years old): $16000 after sales tax, 35,000 miles on odometer
WARRANTY EXPIRES AFTER YEAR 5
1st car (6 years old): $8000 trade in value, 70,000 miles on odometer
YOUR TRANSMISSION AND BRAKES JUST WENT - THAT'S $4000 PLEASE
1st car (9 years old): $4000 trade in value, 105,000 miles on odometer

After 6 years of ownership: $16000 paid, plus $4000 in maintenance costs = $20,000 paid

BUT SIR I CAN TRADE IT IN AND RECOUP MY COSTS

Ok fine. The local dealer accepts your 9 year old car for $4000. You ended up paying a net of $16,000 for 6 years of ownership. Which works out to $8000 for 3 years of ownership. Which is the same loving thing you pay for leasing.

its kind of telling when you expect the transmission to go out at 70k miles on a new car
also lol if you don't do your own brakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Foid One posted:

This reminds me of the classic Obama "cash for clunkers" ploy in which he destroyed the used car market, harming the working class... in order to benefit.. Car dealers? The worst people on earth? *fail horn plays*

thanks obama

Marxalot posted:

The previous owner of my lovely explorer went through 3 automatic transmissions. I've had to burn a couple grand on parts for this POS myself.

I think the lesson to be learned is don't own a ford that's older than a couple years old (they actually make good cars again)

Foid One posted:

Ya these guys are fucktards. Cars don't really "break down" in this day and age. Mine had 150 k miles when I bought it 3 years ago. The biggest repair I've paid for is some back suspension linkage that I messed up myself due to fail
Aids .

New cars do because they're starting to be designed to only be serviceable by the dealership re: audi service position. When you can't perform basic maintenance on your own car, it suddenly becomes pretty easy to get in deeper than the car's worth once these cars begin to depreciate. Cars are basically designed to be disposable at this point.

By contrast I could throw a new 20-40k miles motor in my car for $300-400 including the cost of tools assuming I started with nothing but the toolkit provided with the car, and a teenager could figure out how to do it in an afternoon with youtube videos or a manual.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 14, 2015

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

unsurprised body/paint is #2, I live in one of the most rust-free states in the country and regularly see 2-3 year old Hondas and Toyotas with pretty significant amounts of rust. priuses especially seem to fall apart cosmetically QUICK if they aren't maintained.

also point is, hondas reputation for building reliable cars has been outdated for a solid 15+ years. also hondas have been boring as poo poo for about the same amount of time. toyota can still make a good car, but they're universally boring and occasionally offensively bad. however lexus is the most reliable car manufacturer and makes one or two decent cars so toyota has shown us that they are still capable of making a good car.

my sister drives a 19 year old lexus with a ton of miles that has had a check engine light on for about 40,000 miles and she hasn't done any maintenance to it short of buying tire rack rimzzzz, I think the oil gets changed maybe once every 10-15k miles on conventional and its still running.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 14, 2015

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Who cares about cosmetics if the engine runs forever? I routinely see 20+ year old Hondas and Toyotas still on the road. All American cars are crushed cubes in the junk yard by that point. The only other cars that last that long are Mercedes and BMWs.

i saw that ninja edit, i was going to say

and 5 series of the era.

also pre chrysler mercedes are some good poo poo. my friend's family has some little 68hp early 70's mercedes diesel sedan and outside of a bunch of dents and pitting on the painted wheels, looks great and is still rust free and running with over 1.2 million miles on the chassis and block. motor has been rebuilt once at 800k, trans replaced once at 600k, but still, they just don't make cars like that.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 14, 2015

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

people dont always buy cars to get a good deal

sort of like how you spend a bunch of your money on like warhammer figurines and stuff it's just a nice thing to buy with your money

financing a car is also not a horrible way to build credit if you have a soul and find enjoyment in the car. i've always been die-hard about never wanting to buy a new car but i'm seriously considering buying a new f150 in a few years depending on if ford actually delivers on the weight reduction they've been promising. or if they ever made a fiesta RS i would probably buy that. i don't like new cars because of the direction cars are going though, not because i think buying a new car is a stupid thing to do.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

zen death robot posted:

i pay other people to do my car maintenance because i can afford to

I work on my own car (when within the realm of my experience level/ability to wing it) for the sake of knowing that the job is done correctly, more than anything. For instance it costs me more money, in addition to more effort to change my own oil, but I do it anyways because I've seen quite a few motors get hosed because the local meth addicts at jiffy lube don't torque the sump plug back on. Or more commonly, everything gets torqued on to whatever the air tools happen to be set to because that's whats quickest and suddenly you're breaking bolts everywhere when you work on your car. Sure you'd probably notice your car making GBS threads oil down the highway, but I don't even want to chance it. Also have had a mechanic install garden hose in the cooling system of one of my cars before, on a job I could have done myself for 1/20th the cost.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 14, 2015

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Infinite Karma posted:

I bought a new hybrid, because with the cost of fuel on an older car, you end up paying almost as much to own old piece of poo poo. Plus I have grownup credit, so my loan is at about 2% APR.

You're lucky to be breaking even with increased complexity + maintenance costs especially if you don't do your own work & your car is awful for the environment. Should have bought a Fiesta or something.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Infinite Karma posted:

Maintenance is cheap...? It's repairs that cost a lot, and on a new car, they're under warranty (not that cars generally need repairs before 100k miles anyway). Buy new car, keep for 8 or so years, buy another new car, repeat, and the worst thing you'll have to buy are new tires.

Oh you're one of those people who neglects maintanence and treats cars like they're disposable. Yep it can be pretty cheap to maintain a car if all you do in 100k miles (are you buying a hyundai? do other cars even come with 100k warranties?) is buy tires. Explains why every first and second gen prius I see on the road looks like it's 30 years old and we're already living in a dystopian future of run down 2009 hybrids in... 2015?

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

psyman posted:

Normal cars are lame, buy a velomobile pod car and stop wasting fuel+space lugging empty seats around. These are recumbent tricycles that can have an electric assist added as well, and the pedal power is about 4x more than a normal bicycle so it can be used for longer mid-range commutes. The majority of able bodied people could feasibly replace their car with a velomobile for city driving, as you can easily hit 30+ MPH and don't have to worry about parking as they only weigh about 30kgs and can be carried inside. They do cost upwards of $5k-$10k though:

Flevobike Orca

OceanCycle Challenger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

you claim to not be a moron but you own 90s luxury cars

e34, e36, e39, LS400, just to name a few good cars that are also 90s luxury cars

• Locked thread