Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big dig
Sep 11, 2001

Cowboys > Ninjas
My company policy is that we have to drive a four door car that is less then 3 years old and has less then 65,000 kms. For this reason, I get $1,200 bucks a month added to my pay cheque to put towards my leased car of choice.

New Cars 4 lyfe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dig
Sep 11, 2001

Cowboys > Ninjas

revmoo posted:

Back in the day my company did this and gave me 800 a month for a car, but they never actually cared what you did with the money. It was awesome and I racked up over 100k on my shitbox MX-3.

My role has a lot of face time with spendy clients so they want us to be all flashy, so there's requirements like leather seats, monthly detailing, poo poo like that. I've had 1 client in my car the last few years, lol.

I'm making a bit of money on the plan, but I bought a brand new 2015 Dodge Durango Citadel to haul my fancy self, and expanding brood around.

New car smell is worth the instant depreciation!

big dig
Sep 11, 2001

Cowboys > Ninjas

EugeneJ posted:

Hi, I am leasing a new $20,000 car ($24,000 after sales tax) - I'll trade it in and lease a new car worth the same amount every 3 years

1st car (3 year lease): $8000 including down payment, 35,000 miles when turned in
2nd car (3 year lease): $8000 including down payment, 35,000 miles when turned in
3rd car (3 year lease): $8000 including down payment, 35,000 miles when turned in

After 9 years: $24000 paid, nothing paid in maintenance

Hi, I am buying the same $24,000 car used after it was just leased for 3 years

1st car (3 years old): $16000 after sales tax, 35,000 miles on odometer
WARRANTY EXPIRES AFTER YEAR 5
1st car (6 years old): $8000 trade in value, 70,000 miles on odometer
YOUR TRANSMISSION AND BRAKES JUST WENT - THAT'S $4000 PLEASE
1st car (9 years old): $4000 trade in value, 105,000 miles on odometer

After 6 years of ownership: $16000 paid, plus $4000 in maintenance costs = $20,000 paid

BUT SIR I CAN TRADE IT IN AND RECOUP MY COSTS

Ok fine. The local dealer accepts your 9 year old car for $4000. You ended up paying a net of $16,000 for 6 years of ownership. Which works out to $8000 for 3 years of ownership. Which is the same loving thing you pay for leasing.

Don't forget to include the opportunity cost of losing out on sweet pussy with your stinky old car.

Three extra women on three extra dates a year at a cost of roughly $450 a date, is a huge savings for old car drivers.

big dig
Sep 11, 2001

Cowboys > Ninjas

redshirt posted:

Serious question: I have a completely paid for truck but it gets lovely mileage and I have to travel a bit so gas costs are quite expensive.

So I've been thinking of leasing a very small fuel efficient car just for the long distance traveling.

Dumb or not?

you should get a smart car and drive on the interstate with it, and tailgate trucks for extra fuel efficient if you're worried about fuel.

• Locked thread