Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BSam
Nov 24, 2012

The Playstation Network has made a show.

It's a world with people with super powers, so what you need is a section of the police dedicated to dealing with those people with powers.

This guy used to be a power but lost his power and is now part of the power division of the police.

Him and his partner are trying to track down this girl who was found at the scene of the death of one of the more famous heroes.

She however has fallen under the bad influence of this guy, an old villain who was supposed to have died years ago.

Also, Eddie Izzard is bad so he's been locked up.

First episode is available on youtube if you're in the right country.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt2znyyXt3g

You can also find the first three episodes on the playstation network or the playstation store, whatever that means, and it looks like future episodes will be released each Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

BSam posted:

The Playstation Network has made a show.

It's a world with people with super powers, so what you need is a section of the police dedicated to dealing with those people with powers.

This guy used to be a power but lost his power and is now part of the power division of the police.

Him and his partner are trying to track down this girl who was found at the scene of the death of one of the more famous heroes.

She however has fallen under the bad influence of this guy, an old villain who was supposed to have died years ago.

Also, Eddie Izzard is bad so he's been locked up.

First episode is available on youtube if you're in the right country.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt2znyyXt3g

You can also find the first three episodes on the playstation network or the playstation store, whatever that means, and it looks like future episodes will be released each Tuesday.

First episode is also available on Crackle, my favorite streaming service. Honestly, I don't get why I like it so much either.

PS: This thread is better and took more effort and love than the TV show.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wasn't this going to be an FX show at one point?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes. Sony has always had the rights but they were going to air it on FX originally.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
I'm watching the pilot now and it's not... bad, I guess? It's campy but I'm not disliking it but that could also be because it's extremely my poo poo.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

SavTargaryen posted:

I'm watching the pilot now and it's not... bad, I guess? It's campy but I'm not disliking it but that could also be because it's extremely my poo poo.

Yeah it's just like "gently caress you Cliché's I'm using all of you!"

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

BSam posted:

Yeah it's just like "gently caress you Cliché's I'm using all of you!"

Oh absolutely. I'm cautiously optimistic but it could still very much go to poo poo. Hopefully they keep things fairly campy even with, you know, people getting eaten and ripped apart and stuff.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I actually like it for being sort of low key. The lack of budget helps with that obviously.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

The first episode was alright, this thing could go either way.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
I'm a sucker for superhero garbage so I've quite liked this so far, but good grief some of the shots and special effects are atrocious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was really disappointed by this, there's ways to work around a low budget but this feels really hokey, cheap and even amateurish in parts. Nobody involved appeared to be giving more than a token effort, and I'm hoping that it was just a bad pilot because if this is the way they intend going forward, I don't even see it making it through the first season before being canceled.

BCBUDDHA
Jul 19, 2014
considering the poo poo budget, its actually not bad once you ignore the cringingly retarded poo poo like "powers kids"

Glad to see Eddie Izzard getting TV work, I was really enjoying "the riches" before they took it away from me.

I'll keep watching powers at least until 50 cent's "power" come back for s2

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

BCBUDDHA posted:

Glad to see Eddie Izzard getting TV work, I was really enjoying "the riches" before they took it away from me.

You might've seen it already, but he has a great recurring guest role in Hannibal.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I've seen the first 3? episodes of this and it's great so far. It has grabbed me in a way that Agents of SHIELD could not. It has little pieces of Heroes, but is way better on the whole. Loving it so far.

BCBUDDHA
Jul 19, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

You might've seen it already, but he has a great recurring guest role in Hannibal.

gonna have to give it another shot, i tried 2 episodes right after true detective due to some people claiming it was just as good. But i was chasing the dragon too hard to enjoy it. Now that time has passed i'll give it a shot.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I'm two in. The partner is bugging me, and it feels like it is the result of weaker writing. She keeps accusing him of being a manwhore when he's legit working the case. There hasn't been any direct evidence that he is a sex junky so it just makes her look foolish. I'll keep watching, but I'm not convinced this will be worth the time yet.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Just finished up the first three episodes that are out now, and part of me wants to like the show, but it all just feels so... small. The budget is obviously lacking, but they have a cast good enough to actually make for a good show if the writing and the effects work complement things rather than getting in the way, which they seem to pretty drat often.

I believe only the first episode is free (you need PlayStation Plus right now for the rest), so I'll mark some later stuff in spoilers (not that there's much), but as a whole, the show seems to work best whenever Noah Taylor is on screen. It seems like when there are just two characters in a scene (which is, uh, most of the time) and they're actually dealing with powers, be they former or as a concept, the dialogue is better, but overall it feels awfully cliche-ridden as others have said.

I never read the original comics, which is probably a boon from what some reviews thus far have been saying. Amalgamating multiple story arcs and even merging characters (Deena) seems like a recipe for burning the kind of fans that would actually check this out, but there's enough of a hook that I'll probably keep watching. Unlike, say, Heroes, there's actual comic pedigree helping to run the show (though how much I don't know), and there's a sense that this could end up being more Alphas than Heroes (and not just because the intro seems ripped straight from the SyFy promos for Alphas). That pendulum could swing back toward Heroes real fuckin' fast, though.

If nothing else, having Eddie Izzard finally out of the Shaft will hopefully mean he gets lots more screen time, which I'm always happy about.

God, though, the budget is holding this thing back so much the second they decide to show any superhuman poo poo.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
I'm kind of approaching it with the way that uh... Soon I Will Be Invincible described it, where powers just LOOK kinda hokey as a fact of life and trying to suspend my disbelief for it. But yeah, it's a little distracting.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

SavTargaryen posted:

I'm kind of approaching it with the way that uh... Soon I Will Be Invincible described it, where powers just LOOK kinda hokey as a fact of life and trying to suspend my disbelief for it. But yeah, it's a little distracting.

Soon I Will Be Invincible is a series I would love to see.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I wonder how the budget of this compares to the Flash since it's so outclassed in the special effects.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ghostwritingduck posted:

I wonder how the budget of this compares to the Flash since it's so outclassed in the special effects.

This has Sharlto Copley and Eddie Izzard, and the most famous actors on Arrow or Flash are Spartacus alumni, so this is probably a fair bit higher budget.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I think the overuse of cliches makes sense in universe. From what I gather, Powers started popping up sometimes in the late 60s/early 70s. The first powers grew up reading golden age and silver age comics as they were released. I absolutely believe that if this happened in the real world they would have publicists and agents within hours and it seems to have happened there too. Having that background and limitless media dollars thrown at them of course they are going to go with what they know and it's going to be hugely cliche. Fast forward to the modern day with cell phone Powers apps and Youtube and we have the ridiculous costumes and scene for Powers kids. The effects and costume budget must be peanuts and the cliches can be way to loving silly, but the show has promise. If it meets whatever metrics Sony is using for success and we get a second season it could be something special. The jury is still out on this season.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They should have gotten UBISoft to make it. Least the acting would of been better. Saying that, i do really enjoy it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

They had to have blown their budget on casting. That happens all too often.

I expected CGI to look terrible - agents of shield struggled with that from day one. Arrow and Flash's stunt and special effects team are peerless, considering what they work with.

I did not expect the sets to look like what i built for theater class in high school. There's a shot in the opening scene of our lead in a stairwell, and its abundantly obvious that a small wind could blow over the entire set.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Yeah, this is flawed, I'd just echo what everyone else is saying so I'll skip the negative poo poo.

Aside from it's flaws I'm having a blast watching this, they've got me hooked and unless things get like...really loving Heroes up in here, I'm gonna stick around.

The comparison to Alphas is pretty apt.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
Yeah it's definitely pretty Alphas. Also, I've decided that a side effect of Wolf's power is to make blood fountain ridiculously.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

LORD OF BUTT posted:

This has Sharlto Copley and Eddie Izzard, and the most famous actors on Arrow or Flash are Spartacus alumni, so this is probably a fair bit higher budget.

...and yet the F/X pilot had Jason Patric.

As a fan of the source material who has been dying to see this come to fruition for years, what a letdown.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

After jumping through so many hoops to sign up for this poo poo, episode 4 is loving amazing. If you're unsure after the first three, try episode four, seriously.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
I haven't read the comics so I want to speculate. Spoiler in case i'm right. I'm kind of thinking that Callista already does have a power and its to make people be very protective of her. It would explain everybody's behavior toward her.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
Re spoiler above: yeah I bet her power is cute puppy eyes and an annoying mememe tone. Distracting show, like someone said. Gonna have to do some comics reading soon.

Elijah Snow fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 18, 2015

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

BSam posted:

After jumping through so many hoops to sign up for this poo poo, episode 4 is loving amazing. If you're unsure after the first three, try episode four, seriously.

Episode 4 was a marked improvement over the other three -- probably because they didn't have to do much in the way of budget other than impossibly huge gouts of fake blood, which is just fine in my book. I was pretty happy with how the whole episode went, including the ending.

I'm sure it's just me wanting the show to fulfill its potential, but I do feel like there's been a slow, incremental uptick in the overall quality with each episode. It has a huge mountain to climb before it's anything approaching appointment television (or, uh, whatever you call this new format), but I found myself skipping the DVRed episode of The Flash in lieu of watching this. I don't know what that says about me, but it probably isn't good -- y'know, other than the fact that I watch The Flash in addition to this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This was dreadful. I can't imagine how terrible the FX pilot had to have been for this to be what came next.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I made it through 9 or 10 of the trade paperbacks of the comic before I gave up. It started really strong, but kind of went the opposite direction I wanted it to.

I'm really digging this show, though. The effects are absolutely awful, but it's scratching the same itch the first few paperbacks of the comic scratched for me. I like the idea of following cops in a world of lovely superheroes.

I really want this to pick up a few more seasons, a few of the story arcs covered in the comic are also a lot of fun.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
I'm with most of the other posters here. It's low budget and the script is a bit hardboiled, but the plot is pure comic madness and it's a good interpretation of people with Powers interacting with reality. I haven't read the comics and I don't intend to, but this show definitely has a place on my watching schedule.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Episode 5 is up!

poo poo, that was a lot of blood.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I finished the first 3 and holy poo poo I want this Callista girl to die a horrible death.

I know she won't, for some stupid reason, but holy poo poo she is probably the most annoying woman I have seen in a show in a long time.

Gonna try 4 and 5 later today.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The lead actor looks like David Tennant and Dylan McDermot got mashed together in a transporter.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

So does this mean that Walker has lost his powers again, given the whomp that left his body while he was unconscious in the stacks? I get that he's still got Sway in his system, but I thought the whomp/distortion coming from wolfe into him was his powers coming back?

Pikehead fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 31, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Pikehead posted:

So does this mean that Walker has lost his powers again, given the whomp that left his body while he was unconscious in the stacks? I get that he's still got Sway in his system, but I thought the whomp/distortion coming from wolfe into him was his powers coming back?

Well, I haven't seen the newest ep, but it could be the temporary return of his powers is tied to Wolfe, so when Wolfe loses his powers so did Christian.

Or maybe they're back, but need time before they are fully active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
So I just watched the latest episode. It was pretty low on action, but I'm kinda feeling like this was the "best" episode yet. Lot's of great character building moments.

• Locked thread