Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

You can easily do all 3, nothing in the game really limits you except for only being to slot 5 skills or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So can I be a night blade lightning fucker duel wielding with plate armor and actually be viable in this game? Does it actually not suck? I tried the beta and was actually kind of enjoying it but box price plus subscription is too much for an MMO I only played a few hours of

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

What classes are good for having great survivability w/ room for making mistakes? I'm open to Stamina or Magicka builds. I was thinking of going Sorcerer because I'm a big fan of pet classes, but their only class heal being reliant on high crit makes me nervous.

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

Mormon Star Wars posted:

What classes are good for having great survivability w/ room for making mistakes? I'm open to Stamina or Magicka builds. I was thinking of going Sorcerer because I'm a big fan of pet classes, but their only class heal being reliant on high crit makes me nervous.

I've found staff-wielding light-armor Dragon Knight to be surprisingly survivable - more so than heavy-armor Sorcerer (my first character that I'm now only using for crafting as I hit a wall w/r/t survivability haha).

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

eSporks posted:

You can easily do all 3, nothing in the game really limits you except for only being to slot 5 skills or whatever.
Oh absolutely. I switch my slotted skills around all the time just for variation's sake.

And even if you find out later that "ok, this sword-and-shield thing isn't my thing afterall" and would rather go dual-wield, you can just do it. Grab another weapon in your off hand and go do quests and kill poo poo, the skill will go up to a reasonable level in no time at all.

Bob NewSCART posted:

So can I be a night blade lightning fucker duel wielding with plate armor and actually be viable in this game? Does it actually not suck? I tried the beta and was actually kind of enjoying it but box price plus subscription is too much for an MMO I only played a few hours of
Yeah, pretty much everything will work fine, as long as you don't do really stupid things like pick passive skills for stuff you're not even using or someshit.
Well, I don't know about PvP, but for most PvE stuff you can just go with pretty much whatever, especially if you're with a buddy or two.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

That's not true though, Sorcerers also have the Dark Magic skill that straight up gives you health and magicka in exchange for stamina (or health and stam for mag, if you morph it), plus a passive that heals you a little bit every time you hit an enemy with a dark magic skill.
That said, Dragon Knights get a shitload of damage-absorbing and armor boosting skills as well as some self-heals, and Nightblades have some very nice self heals.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

For those starting out remember to unlock your skills even if you dont plan on using one in particular. If I remember right you gain experience on all the abilities on a tree as long as you have one of them in your loadout.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Tempted to buy this game and see how it is, but all my time is spent on Nostalrius.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Heals aren't super important either, this game doesn't quite follow the holy trinity. Most of PVE is about using the dodge and block system, and even a straight DPS mage should be blocking. Group PVE is a lot about everyone looking out for themselves while someone tosses an occasional heal as needed.
There is also no way for someone yo reliably hold aggro, so you can forget about tanking in the traditional sense.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose
Once more into the fray
into the last good fight i'll ever know
live and die on this day
live and die on this day

re-downloading now...

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Cao Ni Ma posted:

For those starting out remember to unlock your skills even if you dont plan on using one in particular. If I remember right you gain experience on all the abilities on a tree as long as you have one of them in your loadout.

Also if you join a guild I think you can pick up some basic weapons inside their buildings without having to worry about being accused of stealing. So spend some time in the first town outside the starter zones gearing up before you head off to them. That'll let you get some XP in your weapon of choice earlier than you might otherwise have started.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

hahahahaha oh boy

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

From what little has been released about it, any differences between classes will probably be further smoothed out once they release spell crafting, expected release date of who the heck knows.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Thanks everyone who gave me input. This game suddenly sounds way more metal as gently caress.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
From a post on the official forums in a random downtime thread:

quote:

Maintenance will be over way before 10pm tonight. Currently, it's looking like things will be finished within an hour.

Also the patch is already up for download too I guess.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
the glowy eyes is magelight from the mages guild, it buffs your spell crit

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
Dragonknight tank is pretty much the most badass way to play eso. you just stomp around smacking things with your sword and breathing fire and ignoring the things trying to kill you

then again being a stamina build (especially nightblade) and using a bow is cool also, the magnum shot move (where you knock both the enemy and you backwards) lets you get out of any kind of trouble, and arrow spray can just lay waste to crowds of mobs before they can reach you

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Is nightblade good for up in your face or should I roll something like the dragon knight or templar if I wanna gently caress poo poo up in melee?

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
well, Templars have got good close range magic dps, dragonknights have got good tanking but their class fire spells are more of the slow steady type so if you want to pump out damage you've got to use weapons, and as for nightblade, you just stab things. like stab the poo poo out of things, you've got like 3 different stab moves

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Started a Dunmer Templar because all hail the Tribunal. I have no idea what I'm doing and it's at the moment still quite fun.
Also no lag as of yet, which is quite a refreshing change from STO.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Bob NewSCART posted:

Is nightblade good for up in your face or should I roll something like the dragon knight or templar if I wanna gently caress poo poo up in melee?
One character I have is a crit-focused melee Dragonknight, and it's pretty fun. While DKs lack high single-target damage abilities, they are insanely survivable and have access to both good AoE skills and DoTs, and now that some of the morphs scale with Stamina it can allow them to have a constant damage output while using the Dual-Wield skills for finishers.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

vug posted:

well, Templars have got good close range magic dps, dragonknights have got good tanking but their class fire spells are more of the slow steady type so if you want to pump out damage you've got to use weapons, and as for nightblade, you just stab things. like stab the poo poo out of things, you've got like 3 different stab moves

A 2H heavy templar that mixes in some light clothing is pretty :black101:. You can pick up a hood and gloves and look like something from the cover of a metal album while rocking faces and being pretty much unstoppable in solo PVE content.

You can get self heals from cleaving the poo poo out of everything in front of you with the cleave morph, AOE dots by setting people on fire near any target of your choice, and constantly be making GBS threads solar flames everywhere if you pick up the PBAOE morph of that one skill that lets you target those flames. And that's before you start picking up stuff like uppercut or a self heal. The former of which will let you literally hit stuff so hard with a greatsword or hammer that it goes flying into the air.

Last time I played that character I created a duo (Two man groups are very good for grinding mobs if you just want to say gently caress the local quests for awhile.) and I was just mulching through dozens of mobs at once while the other guy was going down just fighting three or four at a time. Given that the revamp made it possible to spam skills a lot easier and made combat a lot faster I shudder to think how broken that build is going to be now.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 16, 2015

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

If I remember right night blades weakness re: class skills is that they're very good single target damage but weaker for aoe, but so much has changed I don't know if that's the case anymore.

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

Fried Sushi posted:

Is there a consensus on what faction will be most populated as far as the goon guilds. I am in the Deconstruct guild but got removed from the main guild from inactivity. Have characters on all factions but would probably focus on one that has more goon activity.

Dagerfall Goons, here.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Nightblade is the most fun class I've played in an MMO. If you want to gently caress poo poo up ranged or melee, it's a great class. I toggle between daggers and bows all day. I'm only level 32, so others will know more.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Bob NewSCART posted:

Really any class can be anything, you can be a melee focused nightblade that tanks or you can be a ranged nightblade that sneaks around and shoots from the shadows. Or you can make a mage type character with nightblade or any of the other classes.

Some classes are somewhat better at certain roles but so much of the build viability comes from weapons/armor that are available regardless of class so you can pretty much make whatever you want.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

IRSmurf posted:

Dagerfall Goons, here.

Nightblade is the most fun class I've played in an MMO. If you want to gently caress poo poo up ranged or melee, it's a great class. I toggle between daggers and bows all day. I'm only level 32, so others will know more.

Do you feel like they lack aoe like the other dude said?

Also, is there a main goon guild and if so what faction and server can that be found at?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I've been running a variation of this build lately, and let me tell you that it loving owns hard. I use Boundless Storm and Bound Armaments on the 2H bar to go :black101: and tank all the things while using Brawler to keep a constant damage shield up. The original purpose of the 2H bar on that build was single target damage but I've changed it so that I can actually take on entire groups in PvE.

The Bow bar is absolutely beautiful because I've got a base crit rate of 50% with my gear, and using Shattering Prison to hold them down means I'm upwards of 70% crit rate on anyone caught in the CC. My battle feed is basically *crit damage* *surge heal* *crit damage* *surge heal* *crit damage* *surge heal* *crit damage* *surge heal* and it owns.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Servers are up for B2P people.

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

This appears to be 65-70 dollars everywhere I've checked, even before it went b2p, did retailers adjust early or did it never go down in price?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Crown Store is up too. They're still working on adding Crowns to player accounts, and they'll be going out throughout the week.

Guar mounts are in too. Gotta buy those from the Crown Store.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

First thing I'm doing is picking up a guar mount.

Then maybe a dog.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 16, 2015

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Tsurupettan posted:

If you buy this on steam does it give you a key to punch into ESO's website or does it actually register it through steam to that steam account?

I found the answer to this online and it's nope. Guess it's $64 from GMG then! Was hoping to have a Filipino friend buy it for me.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Tsurupettan posted:

If you buy this on steam does it give you a key to punch into ESO's website or does it actually register it through steam to that steam account?

It gives you a key to punch into ESO's website.

Source: Me, in January, grabbing this for $20 during the sale and then applying the key to my beta account.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I had forgotten that my character name in this game was Anime Orc

And I was a dragon gal, and they reset my points and I dont know anything about the game anymore

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 17, 2015

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Source: Me, in January, grabbing this for $20 during the sale and then applying the key to my beta account.

Huh, OK. I'll try it then. I searched a bunch and all I found was people super mad over steam keys. Maybe I misinterpreted it.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Only piece of last minute advice I can give people is, if you are new to this and going in expecting it to be like....

A....Skyrim
B....Your favorite MMO

you will be super disappointed and hate the game. In TES terms, it plays closer to Morrowind than anything. MMO wise it's almost its own beast. It will feel slow and ploddy compared to modern MMOs. There is fun to be had here, but you really have to take it easy and learn as you go. You can't gently caress up a character as far as skills and stat points go as all this can be changed and reset in game.

For those that like Twitch streams, the game has a really great community full of helpful people who are free with info and assistance to new people. But I can't stress it enough that its a game that has a layer of complexity to it that most MMOs won't even dare touch and it can seem overwhelming in certain aspects. Take your time and enjoy the setting and story. It's not too bad. Starting out you'll feel lost and pussy weak but eventually you will find a combo of skills that works for you. Don't worry about understanding people's builds and whatnot. Plenty of time for that later.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
^^ Truest story ever told. I really like the game but it's a far cry from Skyrim or basically any other MMO I've played. It does a lot of stuff like either but nothing quite like either or both. It's also kinda hard to describe to people.

Nordick posted:

I've seen some sorcerers get kickin' rad glowing blue eyes, I'm not sure but I think it's one of those skills.

That's not a Sorc thing, it's a morph of Magelight. Inner Light I think, the one that gives you a sweetass :siren: SPELL CRIT BUFF :siren: and you'll see it on DKs/Templars/NBs focusing on spell power (but NBs focusing on spell power are the worst poo poo ever according to the pubbie horde, make of that what you will).

Basically if you're a wizard with lightning and a sweetass lightning stick you need to have glowing eyes and do your best Big Trouble In Little China Three Storms pastiche all the time.

e: Fighters Guild has a :siren: WEAPON CRIT BUFF :siren: just so everyone knows. It's a morph of Expert Hunter and for stamina builds it is the bee's knees. Just works passively all the time, and you only pull the trigger on it when you really really want to gently caress up some undead/daedra/werewolves.

doomfunk fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 17, 2015

Machado de Assis
Dec 12, 2005

Givin posted:

Only piece of last minute advice I can give people is, if you are new to this and going in expecting it to be like....

A....Skyrim
B....Your favorite MMO

you will be super disappointed and hate the game. In TES terms, it plays closer to Morrowind than anything. MMO wise it's almost its own beast. It will feel slow and ploddy compared to modern MMOs. There is fun to be had here, but you really have to take it easy and learn as you go. You can't gently caress up a character as far as skills and stat points go as all this can be changed and reset in game.

For those that like Twitch streams, the game has a really great community full of helpful people who are free with info and assistance to new people. But I can't stress it enough that its a game that has a layer of complexity to it that most MMOs won't even dare touch and it can seem overwhelming in certain aspects. Take your time and enjoy the setting and story. It's not too bad. Starting out you'll feel lost and pussy weak but eventually you will find a combo of skills that works for you. Don't worry about understanding people's builds and whatnot. Plenty of time for that later.

Been eyeing ESO ever since the B2P announcement, what does it do that feels closer to morrowind than skyrim, other than (I assume, since its an MMO and all) not having oblivion/skyrim style instant fast travel from anywhere? If it has more varied and weirder environments like morrowind did I'll definitely be getting this.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Yep this worked perfectly fine. Now just waiting for the site to be off maintenance too. If anyone has SEA friends and wants the game cheap they pay half what US does!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Machado de Assis posted:

Been eyeing ESO ever since the B2P announcement, what does it do that feels closer to morrowind than skyrim, other than (I assume, since its an MMO and all) not having oblivion/skyrim style instant fast travel from anywhere? If it has more varied and weirder environments like morrowind did I'll definitely be getting this.

There's linear leveling (enemies do not scale to you) like Morrowind but that's where I would I end the comparisons. Combat is better I think than the single player TES games, it's more complex and reaction based.

Not everyone likes the visual style of the game but I would say that Morrowind and Black Marsh are pretty "weird". You can't access Vvardenfell though so there's no crab houses or anything, but there's lots of mushrooms.

• Locked thread