Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Christmas
Oct 17, 2012

I fell out of a plane crash because you need to stop.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective is the best video game. Developed in 2010 by Capcom under the direction of Shu Takumi (creator of Ace Attorney), this puzzle/adventure game involves a totally dead dude using his ghost powers to find his identity and the truth behind his death. He does this by possessing and manipulating inanimate objects, which is a lot cooler than I'm making it sound. I have nothing but nice things to say about this game: the puzzles are unique and engaging, the graphics and animation are impressive, the music is great, the story is bonkers, but entertaining as hell. For commentary, I'm joined by Mr. DJB who knows nothing about this game except that there is a dog. We love the dog.

RULES
1. NO SPOILERS! At all. Not even under a spoiler tag. Much of the fun of this game is the anticipation of what wacky twist is just around the corner, so please don't ruin it for folks. Speculation is welcome and encouraged, but no spoilers disguised as speculation. That's just not right.
2. Abide by SA/Games/LP rules. That's just a given. Don't be a jerk or weird or creepy. Save the shitposting for Twitter like I do.
3. Don't talk poo poo about the dog character. Just don't.

COMMENTARY
Since the game involves reading lots of text and some people (like me) have troubling reading and listening to yammering at the same time, each video will be accompanied by the same video without commentary. If you're into that sort of thing.

VIDEOS
Chapter 1...No Commentary

Chapter 2...No Commentary
Chapter 3...No Commentary
Chapter 4 part 1...Chapter 4 part 2...No Commentary
Chapter 5 part 1...Chapter 5 part 2...No Commentary
Chapter 6 part 1...Chapter 6 part 2...No Commentary
Chapter 7 part 1...Chapter 7 part 2...No Commentary...Bonus
Chapter 8...No Commentary
Chapter 9...No Commentary
Chapter 10...No Commentary
Chapter 11...No Commentary

King Christmas fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Ghost Trick is a magical adventure and I wish I could forget everything I knew about it so I could experience it for the first time all over again. Mr. DJB, you're in for an amazing ride and I wish I could be in your shoes all over again. :allears:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I actually managed to go unspoiled about this game for several years before I finally got and played it and I'm happy I did. This game is fantastic.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie
This game is amazing. So glad you can go in blind.

And drat is the soundtrack kicking rad. Also the dog is the best

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I was going to thank you for the LP and say that I had tried to get through the game quite a while back, but then life and all, so I would be glad to watch you play it...

and then I just ended up getting the urge to play it myself anyways. So, thanks for that instead!

EDIT: Actually, while I'm thinking about it, there was an online-playable demo back when this first came out. Things take a turn for the non-canon when you get to the jumping back through time part, and then you play through just the end of the puzzle that was in this video. It's still good for a demo, though. I have to recommend anybody thinking about getting the game give it a spin. I just replayed it myself, I don't think it spoils anything.

Oblivion4568238 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 16, 2015

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

This game is so good.

King Christmas
Oct 17, 2012

Oblivion4568238 posted:

EDIT: Actually, while I'm thinking about it, there was an online-playable demo back when this first came out. Things take a turn for the non-canon when you get to the jumping back through time part, and then you play through just the end of the puzzle that was in this video. It's still good for a demo, though. I have to recommend anybody thinking about getting the game give it a spin. I just replayed it myself, I don't think it spoils anything.

Huh, I didn't actually know that. I'll have to check it out. And maybe show it off for a bonus video...

Also I forgot to put a content warning on the first video for hate crimes against blue people. Apologies.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

This game is absolutely fantastic in every way and everyone should buy it in whatever format it is best available to them.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
Obligatory suggestion to resize the video by 2x or 3x point-resize/nearest-neighbor to enable 720p, 60fps, and better audio quality on Youtube. As this is an emulator, you can likely increase the screen size to accomplish this.

With that out of the way, I look forward to Mr. DJB reacting to the majesty of this game, and your exploration of it.

Also, the best character in this game is always the one you are about to meet!

\/ Actually, do that. It accomplishes everything and gives you really neat editing options.

HomestarCanter fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 16, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

HomestarCanter posted:

Obligatory suggestion to resize the video by 2x or 3x point-resize/nearest-neighbor to enable 720p, 60fps, and better audio quality on Youtube.

With that out of the way, I look forward to Mr. DJB reacting to the majesty of this game, and your exploration of it.

Also, the best character in this game is always the one you are about to meet!
Additional suggestion, that might be more effort than you want to do, but masti in the tech fort made something that really spruces up DS footage: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=10443

I mean you can probably make something super clean and nice looking for probably a little bit more effort.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I love this game. Just a simple premise, but they do so well with it.

Unfortunately, as of the latest iOS update the version of the game you can get on the App Store no longer functions. I found this out when I started up my copy to play along with the LP. But it's okay, I'm sure Capcom will get along to fixing it right after they put out Megaman Legends 3.

King Christmas
Oct 17, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions! The next two chapters are already recorded but I'll see what I can do next time I go to record. At the very least I could arrange the screens horizontally.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

ChaosArgate posted:

Ghost Trick is a magical adventure and I wish I could forget everything I knew about it so I could experience it for the first time all over again. Mr. DJB, you're in for an amazing ride and I wish I could be in your shoes all over again. :allears:

Isn't it just? So much little clues and things to pick up on, so much little things to do a first time that have you guffaw and go 'I can do this?!' And the animation and the characterization and the music.

Strap yourselves in, we're in for a ghost ride :neckbeard:

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

One thing I always found amusing was that the main character looks like Frank Fly for no apparent reason. Are they both a reference to something?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Here we go. Even though my IOS version of this thing hasn't worked in two years, I still love it.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Man I hope this thread can get a few more people to buy this game but I can't help suspecting the only people who will look are those that've already played it. (Seriously it's the best, I ended up getting it off the back of the Matthew Matosis video evangelizing it, so check that out if you're trying to get a friend to buy it.)

A jargogle fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 16, 2015

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Aw, she sneezes like a kitten!

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
The thing about this game is that it seems like a pretty good game when you start playing it then instead of being a good game it turns out to be an amazing game.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
If you haven't seen this game you need to :getin:

No hype, just truth.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Watching with interest.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

This is a hell of a game - every character is the best character, every animation the best animation, every piece of music the best piece of music. Looking forward to Mr. DJB's reactions as it unfolds.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

As a translator (of mostly video games), I want to give props to Lucia Ishii, a fellow translator who did an absolutely wonderful job on this title. Two lines of dialogue into this LP and I was already thinking, "drat, this is good--who translated it?" :allears:

King Christmas
Oct 17, 2012

Update!

In which David meets The Best Character.
Chapter 2...No Commentary

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I say "Lynn" most of the time, but I checked the Japanese spelling of the name just to make sure and it suggests that it's supposed to be said like "Lynnae" with a long "A" sound at the end.

Missile is based on Shu Takumi's own dog, of the same name and breed.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 18, 2015

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Missile is the best dog :kimchi:

A jargogle posted:

Man I hope this thread can get a few more people to buy this game but I can't help suspecting the only people who will look are those that've already played it. (Seriously it's the best, I ended up getting it off the back of the Matthew Matosis video evangelizing it, so check that out if you're trying to get a friend to buy it.)

I think a good amount of people learned about it from the other LP a while back, but I'm sure we'll get some newbies. It's fun to have someone in the videos who hasn't played the game though.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Oh, I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of this. I've played it so I'll keep mum on most things but I'm sure that one of my favorite lines in the game got missed; it would've happened just this last video.

I think it's triggered by moving the cart around a lot.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Ah Missile, such a cute doggy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Something I really like about the music (among the everything I like about this game) is that with one exception all of the music keeps a feeling of darkness that isn't ominous or oppressive, but just conveys a feeling of being up late at night when a city is mostly asleep. Even the jauntier themes still have a sort of feeling of insomnia or being on that nth cup of coffee.

Also Missile is great, but my favorite character is Lynne. It's a real shame that this game will probably never have a sequel since I think it didn't sell terribly well. But then I don't remember it being particularly widely advertised, either.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 18, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

chumbler posted:

Something I really like about the music (among the everything I like about this game) is that with one exception all of the music keeps a feeling of darkness that isn't ominous or oppressive, but just conveys a feeling of being up late at night when a city is mostly asleep. Even the jauntier themes still have a sort of feeling of insomnia or being on that nth cup of coffee.

Also Missile is great, but my favorite character is Lynne. It's a real shame that this game will probably never have a sequel since I think it didn't sell terribly well. But then I don't remember it being particularly widely advertised, either.
Not to get into spoilers but it really doesn't need a sequel. Shu Takumi just needs to make more games that aren't Phoenix Wright. (And I say that as someone who likes Phoenix Wright)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Not to get into spoilers but it really doesn't need a sequel. Shu Takumi just needs to make more games that aren't Phoenix Wright. (And I say that as someone who likes Phoenix Wright)

I meant more a sequel in mechanics, animation, writing, and general charm, not a direct sequel. A sequel would not in any way have to be a direct continuation of the game to preserve everything great about it. Believe me, I've finished the game, and we should say no more than that since it really, really shouldn't be spoiled for anyone who hasn't played it.

Oh man, just thinking about it, this game's art style would transition perfectly to the 3DS's style of 3D.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 18, 2015

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This is quite a charming game.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

This is one of the best, if not the best, games that was on the DS. Super glad you're going through this with a blind co-commentator, there's really no better way to experience the story.

More relevant to this update, I always thought Missile's was just super fluffy and not just wagging at super speed. :3:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

BlackPersona posted:

More relevant to this update, I always thought Missile's was just super fluffy and not just wagging at super speed. :3:

Why couldn't it be both? Dat dag is great, and looking forward to the rest of the adventures of blonde pompadour ghost-dude.

King Christmas
Oct 17, 2012

While I work on my backlog of videos, please enjoy the fact that this dog grooming establishment uses a familiar face as its mascot (source: @Babylonian on twitter).

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Man, it took me a year to beat this game because I got stuck on one of the mid game puzzles and my Ipod broke at one point so I had to wait a bit to buy a new one.

Also drat shame that the Capcom hasn't put the soundtrack on itunes or something, because it is freaking amazing.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Between multiple playthroughs and various LPs I must have seen this game through about 4 or 5 times now and it never gets old seeing people's first reactions to Ghost Trick and how everyone universally loves Missile.

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
Count me in as another member of the the Missile Fan Club, that little guy is pretty much the epitome of Good Dog :3:

SkuttyB
Nov 5, 2010

Ive played/read/watched this game many times too, but its always worth seeing it again, especially with new reactions to all the amazing stuff that happens in it. If anyones interested, theres a Ghost Trick YT channel with the complete soundtrack on, but the titles could be spoilery to search for it at your own risk.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
As someone who's had to housesit a Pomeranian dog, I can attest that Missile is a 100% accurate depiction of one. They're adorable hyperactive balls of fur. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
Did someone say Ghost Trick?!
Oh man! :dance: I love me some Ghost Trick.
It's one of those games where every time I remember it exists, I'm happier for it. I've probably recommended it (and shown it off) to my friends about a million times.

Missile is pretty much a perfect little Pomeranian. He and Koromaru from Persona 3 need to team up and have best dog adventures. I honestly do suspect, though, that my dogs would totally run up to an assassin who'd break into my house and go "WELCOME!"

The lady in purple's hair is a rosebud, not a tulip, actually.

You know, I worry about what sort of fish might have been in that tank. Because I have to assume they are so dead now, and no one's going back in time to 4 minutes before they die. RIP, whatever is in Lynne's fishtank.

D3m3 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 22, 2015

• Locked thread