Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Volcott posted:

Year of Hell being a season long and not getting reset at the end would have made Voyager better.

They did this, it's called Battlestar Galactica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

How does this even work? I'm not a linguist (obviously), but doesn't metaphor rely on there being some underlying basic... language stuff?

That episode is a cautionary tail about how a society can devolve its entirely language into dumb memes if they're not careful. Basically the plot is that the Enterprise meets a planet where the people only communicate to each other in their version of Simpsons / Family Guy references.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fetus Tree posted:

yeah itd be real cool to have episodes based on the idea of not being able to communicate, that way troi could have actually used her powers

lmfao

Troi was basically the Aquaman of the crew.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Hollis Brownsound posted:

I hate so much that this is my longest thread to date. gently caress off nerds.

You could post a thread with just the words "start track" as the title and an empty OP and it would go to 20 pages.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

doctorfrog posted:

I'm positive you're thinking of the episode I'm thinking of right now, where she literally turned into an aqua person

Actually I was thinking of the one episode where her mom did something useful by reading the mind of a fish-person who's secretly a terrorist.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

opus111 posted:

enterprise 1-2 is watchable because its trek, 3 is good TV and 4 is absolutely excellent TV.

TNG season 1 is one of my favourite seasons, not trying to be controversial, its basically ToS with a 90s sheen, I dig it. 7 is great TV, people who complain about it are just trying to look smart.

Voyager is 95% absolutely atrocious TV sprinkled with some passable TV and 3-4 brilliant episodes, but its trek so I'll still watch it.

DS9 is solid all the way through, not a bad episode for me. even the cripple one y'all complaining about.

ToS is amazing 99% of the time. Spock's brain owns. Catspaw owns.

TAS owns.

TAS was pretty terrible tbh.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Voyager was "self-aware" in the sense that the actors knew the writing was bad so they stopped giving a poo poo.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

But it gave us:

http://youtu.be/XJ-ATwRq5KY

And:

http://youtu.be/s0bClUp9I6w

Arguably the two most important things on TV, ever.

TAS is the Animated series, not the Original series.

You know, the one people forget existed.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

This thread is about TAS now.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

happyhippy posted:

So when the Voyager crew got home, why didn't the Federation instantly jump 50-200 years ahead in tech as they now have the Doctor's mobile emitter?
Either they're actually retards sequestered in a holodeck, or Section 31 suppresses everything and is drugging the water to make people dumb and compliant.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Hector Beerlioz posted:

They should have kept Dr. Pulaski for the rest of TNG, imo.

If only to troll the Crusher fans.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

Watching the voyager episode where they create the cardassian holo doctor and the all like "thaT will be impossible!" And Harry Kim is all like "I can do it! Computer: create hologram with the knowledge and personality of this guy" and it's done.

Star Trek's computers are idiot gods capable of literally anything.
All it would take would be for someone to say "Computer! Create a being capable of destroying the universe!" and it would all be over.

And yet they're still impressed by Data for some reason.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Didn't the hologram doctor turned out to be cardassian Mengela and then they were going to let somebody die because it would have been unethical to use the info? What a dumb episode.

TNG and Voyager had the dumbest pseudo-"moral dilemma" episodes. Janeway and Picard are always all "Hmmmm, do we let this planet full of billions of sapient beings get obliterated, or do we break some arbitrary starfleet regulation? Gosh this is quite the pickle of a moral quandary for sure."

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Section 31 did nothing wrong.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

muscles like this? posted:

You'd think the holodeck would have rules about replicating real people without their permission.

lol if you think any Star Trek writer ever thought for more than 2 seconds about the societal implications of any of the dumb technology they made up for a plot.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIw690VGt70

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Enterprise and Babylon Five are only enjoyed by masochists with Stockholm syndrome.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I love how the only thing anyone ever thinks of to do with the holodeck is recreate stuff that was in the public domain as of 1987.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Obviously there's been no culture of any significance for 400 years because Section 31 has been keeping everyone boring and subservient with drugs and mind control rays.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
My favorite thing is how every alien culture is completely monolithic. Like even the Klingons talk about "Klingon Blood Wine" with no reference to any specific region or vineyard or anything.

BRB gonna open a bottle of Human Grape Wine.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

shadow puppet of a posted:

Someone needs to re-marathon DS9 as Bloodwine has specific vintages.

They mention vintages but never anything else about it. Like particular years are supposed to be good but there's only one kind of bloodwine.

It's like if I said "Ahh yes, 2309 was a particularly good vintage of Earth Grape Wine!"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

counterfeitsaint posted:

In voyager they had to specify that the holodecks had their own dedicated power source, so they could keep them running all the time while still being on the far side of the galaxy with limited resources and rationing. You know, for both episodes where limited resources actually mattered.

Basically the only reason the BSG reboot exists is that Ronald D Moore was frustrated about Voyager squandering an interesting premise.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Powered Descent posted:

He's actually talked about that in depth:

Really the whole thing is well worth a read, he makes some fantastic points. Although you'll definitely want to copy-paste the text into something easier to read than this hideous webpage:

http://www.lcarscom.net/rdm1000118.htm

lol @ that whole website emulating the eye-bleeding TNG console screen patterns

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The most interesting thing about Ezri is that she played Bruce McCullough's girlfriend in a classic Kids in the Hall sketch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Ka2nkIi2I

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Didn't DS9 start during like TNG season 5 or 6?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The Best of Both Worlds is an over-rated episode that doesn't stand the test of time and the Borg were a lame villain that got progressively lamer every time they appeared and the only reason anyone liked them originally was that the production team put so much more work into the costumes than usual that it blew people's mind that Star Trek was actually doing something that looked cool.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fetus Tree posted:

i liked it as a kid tho, but upon further inspection it is quite terriburr

This describes most of TNG for me.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Voyager would have been a way better show if it had been completely different and not terrible.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg8o__6bEEY&t=16s

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Trast posted:

DS9 took a lot of shots at Gene's utopian paradise concept.
That's what made DS9 great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hdiuRMK3UQ&t=17s

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The Maquis were terrible idiots.

We live in a post-scarcity utopia with faster-than-light travel, what shall we do? I know, let's go be dirt-farmer colonists on the most politically inconvenient planets we can find! It's not like there's a whole galaxy out there.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fetus Tree posted:

the planets became politically inconvenient AFTER they already made their homes there, btw

Who could possibly have foreseen that settling next door to a bunch of expansionist militaristic fascists would end up being a bad idea?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

muscles like this? posted:

I'm kind of surprised that nobody has updated their look and the Borg continue to look really stupid.

They already have a big prop chest labeled "borg poo poo", why would they wanna spend more money to reinvent the wheel?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Why were the borg all humans if they'd been assimilating the Delta Quadrant a zillion miles from the Federation for who knows how long? Did we ever see a borg that wasn't a white human?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lol fuckin' Voyager

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I liked how she constantly tried to troll Data by intentionally mispronouncing his name.

Also the actress who played her was in the original series a bunch of times.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think a significant portion of the awfulness of TNG is directly attributable to late '80s / early '90s hairstyles and fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fetus Tree posted:

Tng is not awful lol

TNG has some of the best and the worst of Star Trek. It's got probably the widest quality range out of all the series.

• Locked thread