Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Foid One posted:

Large yard you can garden in? have pets that you actually care for yourself? have a car that you can work on? I'm a little confused OP.

Don't have a car/give a poo poo about cars, I care for my cat just fine thanks, I have a large enough garden for my purposes? It's almost as if different people value different things in their lives (except living in the suburbs is killing the planet faster than living in city so I hope u crash yr hummer into your fat kids you suburbanite scum I won't shed a single artisanal tear over it, who has room to store even the most finely handcrafted tears with the way rent is these days)

himajinga fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Pick posted:

If I lived in a downtown area I would have no reason or time to own and use powertools, and therefore no reason to live

Live in a single-family part of a city, problem solved. Seattle, Portland, and Pittsburgh are lousy with them. Why does everyone assume "city" means "downtown in an apartment"?

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Pauline Kael posted:

Sorry whatever inbred dying country in Europe you live in doesn't afford enough room for human beings to live as God intended them to, Also, if you can't go buy a loaf of bread without a stop at the bar you no doubt have a drinking problem. I suppose I'd drink to forget my life too, if I were living in the existential hellscape that is your stupid city. Also, what building material should be used for houses? Are builder in Europe so inept that they can only build from massive blocks of stone? Do you guys have nails and screws yet or are you waiting for the next Marshall Plan so we can supply our 18th century tech to you?

Idk, brick and masonry is kinda nice looking and classic but then again I don't really live in a v earthquake prone part of the country on a relative basis, so grain of salt and all that. I totally get the allure of large living space, it's the isolation from amenities/cultural stuff and necessity to drive that sours me on the burbs, plus I just like the way urbanness feels, kind of like how some people like the way nature feels, and goes beyond architecture vs natural splendor and pretty ephemeral and hard to describe. My goal atm is like a 1,500 sf 2 bedroom with some outdoor space (be it a large balcony or a small backyard area) but I don't plan on having kids or dogs so I'm working with easier parameters than a lot of people when it comes to the city/burbs decision.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

How far do you guys think a 7/11 or whatever your definition of corner store is from the average suburban house

I grew up in the suburbs, it's pretty drat far. I couldn't walk to anything really where I grew up, and if you were on a bike people were dicks to you and looked at you like you were some sort of weirdo. I really don't like having to walk 30+ minutes in a place that may or may not have sidewalks for a six pack and some smokes.

himajinga fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 17, 2015

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

The funniest part about this post is that depending on what your preference is it works as a compliment to you and insult to the other no matter which you are.

vvvv case in point big "i have a small dick and molest my stepson" trucks are embarrassing and lame

himajinga fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 17, 2015

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'd definitely consider where I live a suburb b/c it's a part of the city that's almost all residences but there's still a grocery store, gas station, 7/11, etc right around the corner. alternatively plan your shopping better

Sometimes the necessity for beer defies the best laid plans

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

in the 'burbs you can have a fridge full of it in your garage

I had a garage at my last place in the city ;)

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Duck season FIRE

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Foid One posted:

If you have a garage you live in a loving suburb. What the gently caress. If you have three parking spots and pay 503 a month you love in a drat suburb. Jesus

SE 24th & Hawthorne in Portland is not a suburb you dildo

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Foid One posted:

LMAO I just looked this up google maps. This is a SUBURB you ridiculous fail aidsman.

I think you're confusing suburb and neighborhood. Gresham is a suburb, lower Hawthorne is a neighborhood. That's like saying someone who has a garage in Capitol Hill Seattle lives in a suburb because there's trees

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

I can't sleep unless my neighbors are hatefucking each other within an inch of their lives while vacuuming and ignoring their screaming child

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

can you city folk have a private tennis court and horse stables in your back yard? no didnt think so. oh by the way these houses are probably cheaper than your city condoes and there is a supermarket and a corner store less than a mile away lol

Don't play tennis, don't like horses, do like art and music and can afford where I live just fine, money/size ratio isn't the only metric I'm working with, you do you I'll do me, nbd :)

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

opus111 posted:

i lived in suburbs and some of the most densely populated cities on earth, both had good and bad points, i prefer cities myself but I'd happily go back to a suburb again in a few years., dunno what the poison is about on both sides here. i bet the goons being most vicious about suburbs actually grew up in them and are projecting hard lol.

I'll freely admit that I grew up in a suburb and having lived there decided it wasn't for me. No big deal, tried it, didn't like it, did something else that I like better.

Pauline Kael posted:

Mostly they're jealous of their former peers and or siblings who have gone on and completed their degrees, found a mate, bought an affordable house together, and are proceeding with their lives. Hell hath no fury like a goon, scorned

My real gripe is this nonsense like I have some secret desire to move to the suburbs that I won't cop to because there's some screw-up on my part that is preventing me from doing so and that moving to the suburbs it is the only natural and desirable outcome for anyone. I have a mate, an advanced degree, a well paying job, and a life I really really enjoy and am saving up to buy a house in the city, I just prefer living in the city and there is not an ounce of my being that would prefer living in the suburbs. It's really not that big of a deal. You want to live in the suburbs? Cool. Not what I would pick but we value different things, which is totally fine. It's this weird implication that I secretly am jealous of people in suburbs because they "have it all figured out" and spend less money for more space as if whoever pays the least per square foot wins or whatever that chaps my rear end. I'm sure it's the same thing with city folk implying that suburbanites are all anti-culture rednecks that gave up.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Pauline Kael posted:

Settle down Francis, you're obviously a rational adult who prefers living in a City, you have no place in this discussion. Strident opinions only.

LISTEN HERE BUDDY I- oh wait I'll see myself out

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

caberham posted:

Am I projecting a cis-gender traditional patriarchal nuclear family structure?

figuratively shaking

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I like my black framed glasses :colbert:

How else are you supposed to see? Answer me that! :owned:

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Foid One posted:

So far the only person who has earnestly defended city life proper is three olives in a gay condo. Then 2 guys said it's really great livng in a "city" with a detached single family home and multi car garage and driveway. Turns out they were living in a suburb that was nominally part of the 'cities' of Denver and Portland respectively. Lmao.

So if you live in a decently sized apartment, don't care about cars, don't want kids or a dog, make good money, like going to see bands/art/whathaveyou, like being able to walk to downtown/to bars/amentites/etc, have a SO and an advanced degree, don't care about power tools or whatever, are not into anime, are not surrounded by homeless people 24/7, have respectful, quiet neighbors who are chill when you want to be loud on the weekend, a beautiful view of downtown, and live in the densest zip code in Seattle, what are the drawbacks of city life again?

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Foid One posted:

There are no drawbacks to this hypothetical scenario of being a single manchild software developer with no kids who is afraid of homeless people and has neighbors who are mysteriously quiet yet let him wail away on his $3000 guitar whenever he wants.

I am not single, don't work in tech, am not afraid of the homeless (my so works with the homeless in her job so I see them all the time) there just aren't many in my neighborhood, I have a practice space to wail on my guitar, it's not really that big of a deal, all of my post is true.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Foid One posted:

But if you think your dreams of being cool city dad are going to come true once your Asian "SO" starts wanting kids... Your fedora is son too tight .........

She's white and we don't want kids, I'm getting a vasectomy next year once her IUD needs replacing

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Ramsus posted:

Holy poo poo you are so primed for cucking

That's the plan, champ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

It's more Art Deco than that

• Locked thread