Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Yes, the suburbs rule, I would much rather give up the convenience and excitement of living in an urban center to buy a McMansion with a bunch of rooms I don't need stuffed with poo poo that I never use, a yard for "gardening" (aka a carefully manicured lawn) and a garage because nobody can ever find parking in the city amirite. My life will be driving 20mins to the nearest grocery store and maybe trying that new Italian restaurant that opened up the next town over once I can build my finances back up from those roof repairs that we had to make last year.

This. Is. Living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Doccers posted:

Seconding this. I've lived in the city, it's pretty drat boring and takes forever to get out of it.

which city? because some cities are pretty drat boring

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Bowlcutbarricade posted:

I don't understand the appeal of the suburbs. I want to be able to walk to the neighborhood corner store when I need something, not get in a car get on the freeway and drive all the way to some ugly strip mall.

Things like "convenience" and "not having long rear end drives for basic necessities" aren't a concern when you have 2,000 sq feet of house biotch

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Foid One posted:

3 digit rent?

$999 or less/month, I'm assuming

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

ColoradoCleric posted:

To be fair denver isn't really a city since you can walk across it in 10 minutes

great username/post combo

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Lol @ "raise your kids in the suburbs"

the suburbs are the worst place to raise a kid unless you want a sheltered, emotionally stunted wreck of a young adult who believes that everyone is a white upper middle class homeowner and that ribs from applebees are the height of cuisine

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

get your poo poo together cityfags, you're just jealous of your successful suburbanite homeowner peers!

(There is only one definition of 'success'. Find a high-paying job. Get married. Move to the suburbs. Buy a home. Have kids. Consume consume consume until you die. You cannot be happy without these things, and if you're happy living in the city without any of them then you must be lying to yourself.)

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Pauline Kael posted:

so... city dwellers don't consume? what, do you posses the power of photosynthesis or something? wow maybe I am completely turned around on this issue!

yes obviously city dwellers do not consume anything, that is clearly what I meant

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Rural Pennsylvania is a sad place.

so is small town pennsylvania, which is basically rural pennsylvania with an empty town square

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

goons and redditors mostly grew up in suburbs so they're just doing a gently caress you dad thing until they get out of college and realize when you don't live in a giant hotel with your friends with no reason to leave 24/7 it's kind of poo poo to live in the city

been out of college 8 years now, love living in the city, hate the suburbs

please generalize more :allears:

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

*adjusts black-framed glasses*

I like my black framed glasses :colbert:

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

himajinga posted:

How else are you supposed to see? Answer me that! :owned:

obviously the only acceptable glasses are those in the style of Successful Suburban Homeowner Clark Griswold

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Pauline Kael posted:

so you admit to wearing problem glasses?

yup

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

yeah it's not like suburbanites aren't extremely allergic to anything that spends MAH TAX DOLLARS, including funding for schools

america's public school system is p. shite wherever you go nowadays

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

opus111 posted:

america routinely produces cutting-edge research and nobel prize winners, you're all way too harsh on your public schooling system

those researchers and prize winners come almost entirely from affluent backgrounds, AKA parents who can give them an expensive private education

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I live in an urban condo. I grew up in the suburbs and they are really depressing. Every suburb is entirely dependent on having a car and has all the same chains. In the city I can bike wherever and get poo poo tons of awesome ethnic food. In conclusion git gud scrubs

It's over suburbailures

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Pauline Kael posted:

So what are you saying?

what he's saying is that, if kids these days just picked themselves up by their own bootstraps and studied hard,

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

sorry son i know you want a bigger room and more space to play without having to walk thirty minutes to the park without risking getting hit by a car in the street and i know you aren't quite into the whole "theater" scene, and yes, i know the school you go to is poo poo and run-down, but me and your mother decided that living in this human being apartment with too-high rent that we should be spending on raising you would be better for your development, for nebulous reasons

"every neighborhood in every city is literally the projects" - suburbanites

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

hey babe lets go back to my 20 sq/ft apartment with anime posters

or

hey babe lets go back to my awesome house where i have dirt bikes a pool table a bar and a garage plus we can be as noisy as we want loving

counterpoint: there is literally no place in the suburbs where you would be able to pick up women (single moms don't count)

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

owning a house just means you are compensating for your penis size or falling to some *insert marxist gobbeldy gook here* american dream blah blah and isn't at all a sign of financial stability or anything

"owning" anything whether it be a boat, house, motorcycle, car, etc isn't a TRUE sign of worth, let me tell you why my extensive anime collection that takes up 75% of my studio apartment that I can barely make end's meet in makes me a superior man in today's society

going "blah blah blah lol marxism" doesn't make something less true

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Pauline Kael posted:

Are you arguing that home ownership is an inverse indicator of financial stability? Or that homeowners have smaller penises than people who cannot afford homes? Can you show us on the doll where the suburbs touched you?

it's ok, not all of us have given up our hopes and dreams for domestic bliss and a half acre lawn

there's still time to join us

you can fly once again, Pauline Kael

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

it is really, really, really hard to not see people who rag on homeowners or people who enjoy expensive hobbies such as cars as being anything else other than purely envious, deep down

same reason why bird-chested boys get grossed out by not even grotesquely large/more aesthetic bodybuilders, they know that they'd love to have that body but it's easier in their mind to just knock them down.

FYI it's not the city dwellers who have been getting defensive ITT

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

Definitely opposite of where I live, low 4 digits for anything fun looking downtown and much cheaper the further you get.

I think there might be some exaggerations on both sides of the aisle itt

yeah no doubt, the difference is that the city folk ITT claim that the suburbs are boring cultural wastelands (which, let's face it, a lot of them are) while the suburbanites accuse anyone who enjoys living in the city of being either a goony anime loving manchild or a hipster human being, and oh by the way you are literally guilty of child neglect if you raise your kids in an apartment

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Foid One posted:

Also I like the people saying that your children will be sheltered if they don't grow up in the city and then in the same breath saying that poor people live in the suburbs. There's a reason that yuppies are considered synonymous with sheltered baby fail aids.

no single person said both of those things

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Foid One posted:

I think you'll find that three olives said both of these things OP.

dammit three olives why you gotta make the rest of us look insane by association

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

signs that GBS posters are growing old and becoming their dads: this thread

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Ok, all trolling and irony aside, just live how you like. city or burbs, who gives a poo poo so long as you're happy and not hurting anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

opus111 posted:

lol, no not really. life = friends, lovers, hobbies, career advancement and literature that changes your life. pretending that sitting on your rear end ingesting food or IPAs is a somehow worthwhile endevour is a myth creating and perpetuated by fatasses who need to justify their slovenly lifestyle by framing it as a hobby. lmao.

arrrrrrrrrrgh people having different hobbies and life goals than me annoys me so much

must post about it on

the internet

• Locked thread