Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
This Timboh guy has dumped a pretty neat bunch of everyone's favourite interchanges onto the Workshop.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198060118858/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710

quote:

Gothic interchanges have a bit of a shady reputation, worse than it deserves in my opinion. They sometimes go by the name "Malfunction Crossing" due to its deceptivly broken-looking structure, with the mainline carriageways switching sides. The name also originates from the problems with the ramps in the inner lane. This is a problem in the real world, where heavier, slower traffic will have a hard time reaching, and leaving, these ramps. However, I think a directional setup might be beneficial in-game, since concepts like road safety, and individual vehicle speed (seperate from road speed) doesn't seem to affect the capacity of the interchange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

So how many people actually needed a tutorial, anyway?

I mean, most of us have played the good SimCity games, although it's been a decade since the last one of those, so it pretty much is a case of lay down some roads, put down some RCI, make sure they're powered and watered, and when the levels unlock use the new buildings as required.

It's actually not as bad as SC4 because people would hamstring themselves from the start by building more services than they needed for a small town. At least here, if you've managed to get up to about 5000 you should be well on the way to making a decent amount of revenue, and even the loans aren't too bad as long as you use that money constructively.

Really, if you're still lost about how to start, nielsm's post pretty much covers everything you need to begin with.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706710#post442806542

Build some poo poo first and get people moving in and working. You can clean up the layout to your liking when the cash starts rolling in.

I thought about doing a video along the same lines but there's heaps of those already, so I'll just leave it. It was weird doing the post in the other thread last night because I was suddenly in screenshot LP mode again (even though I haven't done that poo poo in over five years).

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yeah, I made a intersection in the asset editor and dropped that into my city which was LHD and every thing was kind of higgledy-piggledy.

Just because we never got conquered by Napoleon.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

cthulhoo posted:

People tend to overdo the whole highway thing imo, the inner sperg compels building endless interchanges I guess.
Yeah, I've built only one new stretch of highway to the pre-existing network to service a particular industrial area but my city's pretty much smooshed together, but I've tried to give each neighbourhood its own feel. The district thing is great for that, each area gets its own name and you can tweak priorities and plus some analytic stuff.

I want some cricket ovals by the way.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Burial being a city provided service seems really weird to me. Is this a thing that is provided in European countries?
Around here, crematoria and cemeteries are handled by the municipal councils. (We still have private funeral directors but they basically just do the corpse packaging and fleece bereaved of their money.)

Actually having to stick deathcare facilities around town so they can service the corpses is the weirdest thing about this game for me.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

DEATHCARE would be an awesome name for a band by the way.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I've been messing around with interchanges that include ramps for local traffic. I reconfigured a three-way + local traffic intersection. since I finally bought the tile next to it.

It's probably overkill for my situation but for me it was an exercise in trying to reduce weaving. It's also a tad messy but when you have to take supports into account it limits your opportunities to really tighten things up nicely.

Being able to lay things out regular one-way roads with their grid snap and then upgrade them to ramps or highways is pretty handy.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

So I'm making a thing.

Still figuring out the finer points of the map editor and I'm actually more interested in building cities, so it'll probably take me a while to make something worthwhile playing.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

You see Borderlands, I see Howard Arkley.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...evid=1934157257

Disappointing Pie posted:

Does the LP forum still require 3 months from a game release to do an LP? Because I would love a CS LP so bad. Hint hint Deadly Hume.
Ehhh, I dunno, it's been a few years since I did that and I've got a few things on my plate at the moment. I think I had enough fire in my belly to see out one LP and that was it.

As I mentioned a few pages back, I dug up the greyscale file I used to generate the map for Funkytown and will try to make it into a decent map for CSL.

To sperg out a bit, the scale in SC3k was a bit weird because the idea was the largest map in that game was 16km square, but each tile covered 64m. Which is kind of hilarious.

SimCity 4 had a much more realistic scale, the drawback being having the split the city up into neighbourhoods.

You had three sizes of those of course, 1km which was too little to be any use, although it was handy to use one to isolate all your dirty power plants and garbage dumps, and 4km which would've been great except most computers of the time would grind a bit. So I stuck to the middle size of 2km for most of my crap.

(OK, SimCity 2013, well, the scale and just about everything else was a joke. Let us not speak of it again.)

Anyway, one of the reasons I'm pretty damned happy with CSL is that the scale is pretty good, and you can have a decently sized map. If you unlock all 25 playable tiles, that'll get you a 10km square to play with. You probably will need a system with a fair amount of crank to get close to that, but I would say it's going to handle future processors a bit better than SimCity 4 did, because that game basically butted heads against the 32-bit limitation.

The other thing I'm happy about is no more goddamn loving antlines of traffic around the corners of maps because region play in SimCity 4 was, frankly, a kludge, what with all the asynchronous nature of it all.

Here, if I see a traffic problem, I can have a go at FIXING it, instead of juggling around, loading one neighbour after another. I think in the end in my crazy years-old city I had infinite loops of traffic which I could do nothing to eliminate. Even when I flattened and restarted a neighbourhood they'd come back, sneaking around the corner. (Which I tolled the gently caress out of for easy money, but still.)

SimCity 4 was wonderful in many respects but those were the issues that basically made me glad something's come along to supersede it with most of the things I wanted.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Okay, I have a new problem. I extended the freeway and built a new little residential/commercial district around it. Only problem is...

That stretch of freeway instantly became the most highly trafficked area in the entire city, and I don't even understand why. The new district is not that cool, but pretty much everyone in that huge conga line of cars is going into it. Do I need some sort of better interchange than the diamond one I've got down there?
It's because you've used non-Euclidean geometry in building your freeway and now all your citizens are making a beeline to be devoured by one of the Elder Gods

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I basically run my local rail network independently from the outside link. One (maybe two) passenger station for long distance trains, next to a local station so they can hop on and hop off to wherever they want to go.

(Setting up a bus interchange next to the two train station works pretty well too)

I find that it's OK to run the goods line to the outside connection, but I do keep them out of the way of the passenger link to the terminal station, either by spur lines or just running them past my industrial areas. That way you can still have your imports and exports but they don't mug your suburban passenger trains.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Domattee posted:

AFAIK Passenger trains do not carry your citizens, only tourists.
This may true of the red trains coming from the connections, but your local train network with the routes you set up will take all comers.

Maybe do a query on some of the bods waiting on the platform to confirm.

Having said that, for my second city which is up to 35 thou, I've got a simple metro system with two routes on a Y and that seems to be quite effective, even with the two routes having a few stations in common.

EDIT: Aww yisss
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410326945

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 23, 2015

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

StarMinstrel posted:

I made a city which I called ShitCity and had fun unlocking all the bad ones. It was a towering inferno.
Yeah I had fun poisoning my nascent community by putting the water intake next to the outflow which made everyone sick PDQ.

The two years of high crime rate achievement is still beyond me, though, but at least there isn't any unlocks dependent on it.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

mackintosh posted:

I'm not so sure. SC's traffic simulation seems to be lifted directly from CIM2, it has the same quirks. The problem with CIM2 boiled down to poor graphics, a drab city design and (initially) very limited vehicle pool.
Well, they've ironed a few of those quirks, for instance I haven't seen cars come off a freeway only to drive right back onto it. That used to drive me spare in CiM 2 and I would lose sight of the point of the game (which is was setting up transit networks) and try to fix the traffic flow at my own expense.

The Cities in Motion games are still pretty niche. I reckon they'll return to it in a couple of years but right now CO are probably going to have their hands full fleshing out the base game and coming up with DLC in the meantime. And swimming in their pool of money.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Gibbo posted:

Same, I got a 4690k thinking "Pffft I don't need those threads" and then promptly got in to a couple things that could benefit from said threads....

Here's hoping I can offload it on a friend.
Well, the good news for me is that I'm in the middle of researching a build.

Usually an i5-whatever is sufficient for gaming but in this case...

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

What makes that dull beep-beep-beep-beep-beepbeepbeepbeep-beep noise you hear everyfuckingwhere at the closest zoom and how do I kill it.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I keep making cities and expanding when demand for certain sectors is highest and I just end up with stuff everywhere and halp how do I civil engineering
That's the classic approach, yes...

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Metro stations with four platforms would be great.

I guess they didn't want to make the transit system as complex as CiM (and I think they've found a nice compromise between allowing you to set up routes but not having to micromanage them too much) but it still would've been nice to have different layers so you could have lines crossing each other without the risk of jams. Maybe they'll patch that in later on...

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

ZARDOZ SPEAKS TO YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

OK, I'm think I'm on to something.

Why your trains bunch up:
(I'm not sure if this is the case for buses and metros that share a route, but I suspect so)

Trains that are full will take longer at a station than ones that aren't. Typically, what this means is that when you've got a row of reasonably patronised stations on you route, the first train in a while will fill up, and take its time leaving the station, and if there are remaining passengers, they'll wait for the next one, which won't be far behind because of this phenomena.

With, a bunch of four or five trains in short succession, the later trains are more likely to not fill to capacity, so they're going to catch up to the ones at the front.

So that's why they bunch up.

I have like six trains on one route, and they've bunched up, the ones at the front of a platoon fill up, the ones at the back are mostly empty. I note the not-full ones often have to queue at each station when the train in front of them is full.

One remedy I'm going to try later (because I have things to do now) is to reduce the train budget so with less trains, it's more likely they'll fill up, so they don't catch up on the one in front of them.

Really trains (and I guess other vehicles) should be the same time at each stop, no matter what, or at least dynamically adjusting the length of each stop (longer if they're too close to the one in front, shorter if vice-versa) so they're spaced evenly across the route.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I was going to look around for a decent Wellington map. Cape Town might be cool too.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Upgrade that side road to a ramp I reckon.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

MikeJF posted:

A great number of my train lines seem to be in a perpetual state of traffic jam, is this solvable?
Isolate any lines you use for local traffic routes from lines to connections (set up a dedicated passenger terminal for tourists) , and also keep goods and passenger lines separate

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Already up to 100+ hours in three weeks. Which is close to half what I put into CiM2 in 2 years.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

ElZilcho posted:

This game has given me such an appreciation of traffic management and made it so obvious that we may do it poorly here in :australia:

This is how we end the freeways here! This is the main north south freeway, I'm pretty sure a kid could have designed it better.

That's basically so when they decide to extend the freeway they'll use those ends as the ramps.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Today we'll be travelling through the Arch Window!

There's been a couple of places where I've done half circles capping off a grid and I look at it, and think... hang on...

One Melbourne thing which I don't do is have heaps of level crossings.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Konig posted:

This is Wagga Wagga, a small town of about 50-60,000 people in the state of New South Wales. It's New South Wales' biggest inland city (we don't count Albury-Wodonga, which is actually two cities straddling a state border that has grown into one larger city). It also happens to be my hometown! The C:S highways are overkill in the extreme, but what are you gonna do?
Pffft technicalities. At least we've got a real freeway.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 3, 2015

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Konig posted:

Sup Albury bro! I'm from Wagga, but currently live in Thurgoona. Very tempted to make an Albury map next, the central freeway is very appealing.
Might as well, it'd save me doing it. It's basically the river and all the anabranches I find tedious.

Back in the day I made one for SimCity 4 from a topographic map (back before DEM data was reasonably accessible) which was very tedious but it did the job. Hardest part would be working out how to get the river to look good since it doesn't really show up on the elevation data, but from the Wagga one it seems like you'd do a good job.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

wit posted:

The awful kludgy technique I used was to have only one station in my city actually connected to the outside line and opposite it another station on the internal circuit. Makes for some gently caress ugly traffic convoys scrambling across that tiny bit of road, but stops the eternal train jamming.
I don't think of it as outrageously kludgy myself, although I try to have it so the stations sit next to each other (I think you need the roads to be 10 ticks apart), knock up a couple of ped bridges between them.

I think of station as being the long distance terminal and the other being a suburban hub, which is quite a common thing in cities. Probably a good idea to make a bus interchange as well.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Konig posted:

Here's Albury-Wodonga, didn't get ALL the anabranches and tiny lagoons, but got the major ones. Go nuts.
Thanks for this! I'll probably use it for my next map.

I thought the Chirper idea was decent as an update to the tickers, the implementation wasn't that great, but of course There Are Mods For That.

And if you recall, the ticker (particularly in SC3000) had colour entries as well as the informational stuff which you'd click to bring up the petitioners.

The issue here is you have to go and click all the damned things to dismiss them.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Name it something like Yogi or Baloo or whatever.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians (and I suppose some of his other stuff) is really good for this. Sufjan Stevens' The BQE would be great (maybe also the States albums if you don't mind singing)

Starhawk64 posted:

Here's Exit by Tangerine Dream as an example

I also recommend 76:14 by Global Communication
Also maybe classic Orb (the first 3-4 albums up to Orbus Terrarum, anyway). A few other things like Stereolab or Sigur Ros work reasonably well too.

And to blow my own trumpet, I was finishing up some poo poo right about when the game came out and basically I tested out the final mixes while playing the game.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

Would the intersection problem also be fixed if I only made the south roads connect somewhere where a road from the north already connects? Like this

I think the big roads are already 6 lane roads (the last one before highways), I never built medium roads.

And the major roads have a bridge over the highway while the frontage road is only connected to the small ones? Won't that make those small ones backed up?
Also, is there any downside to just making every one of those roads 6-lanes?

Also, you've got short blocks along your main E-W thoroughfares, so lots of traffic lights. In some cases the 6-lane road isn't going to be any better than a medium 4-lane because your traffic will hog the lane to turn right into the grid. Sometimes the 6-lane roads just encourage a bigger bottleneck.

I'd run a couple of interchanges off that highway to the left as well to take the pressure off the route.

And if and when you buy the tile for the highway across top you can probably reconfigure that interchange and maybe drop another one a little further to the left.

Building the access roads will help with distribution a bit (personally I think access roads are overkill in most situations and I mainly use them to deal with weaving situations) but they won't really help with the crosstown traffic flow between the east and west grids.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Sion posted:

How do you signify a piece of road as a walkway?
Paths are under the "decoration" tab (along with parks and trees)

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

Is that the person who goes around to different building mods and posts a side by side comparison shot of all the modded buildings and is angry about how they aren't all to scale with each other? lol at that guy.
Spergs gotta sperg.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvhYbOyS9Wg

Here's that amazing traffic light and intersection manager mod. Can't wait.
Yesssss. Basically that has been the main thing bugging me.

I sort of hope, once they're done with the tunnels/frontages update, CO look at some of the better designed mods and implement some of them natively.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

I decided to try to create a 6-way turbine interchange in my city. The result was this monstrosity:

It's three highways with six total directions (plus three directions of train tracks, and roads leading into the center!). But as a true turbine interchange, it never exceeds two levels.

Holy poo poo this is a thing of (terrifying) beauty.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

a7m2 posted:

What distance will people generally walk as opposed to taking a car? Trying to figure out how to space public transport.
I've tended to model my bus stops from how they place them in inner Sydney. So, basically every 3-4 blocks, I may make them wander around suburbs a bit so they serve as many passengers as possible (the longer the route the more buses get allocated, it seems, anyway). I try to have bus stops for different routes to each other, and of course if I have train or metro stations I'll have bus stops close to those.

A few people in this thread have made bus interchanges to link up to and they're generally a good idea.

Every now and again I'll have a look at the overall transit network and try and rationalise things if the city boundaries have grown out and the existing bus routes are all over the place. Even the metro or train networks, if it comes to that, and I've got the money to do so.

I got to one point where I had a dedicated freight line to my original industrial area, but eventually the city grew and I established new industrial areas on the fringes, so I decide to "renew" the centre of town and rezoned it to commercial/office (with some dense residential).

Instead of trashing the railway line, instead I added a few stations along it (I had to do a bit of measuring, as stations need be along a road but I wanted to keep the original rail alignment more or less intact) and it proved pretty useful.

Eh I suppose I'd better do a new LP at some point.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Curvature of Earth posted:

Well, it happened. Someone found a way to unlock the entire map for citybuilding.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=422554572

Enjoy your :siren:81 tiles:siren: of city.
I look forward to the computer meltdowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Welp, just got my first weird freeze. Of course I hadn't saved for a while. :argh: