Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Yes, Avellone wrote Kaelyn and Gann. And while I loved those characters (especially Kaelyn), MotB just wasn't Avellone's "baby" in the way that many people seem to claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Sensuki posted:

Yeah I believe it has a short-ish duration.

It does, yeah. In some longer fights, one won't be able to stay spirit-shifted the entire fight.

Also, it would depend on how you build your Druid and party composition of course. In my latest beta playthrough, I tended to keep the Druid more in the back with ranged weapons and sent him up front (spirit-shifted) when needing more oomph on the frontlines. Probably not the optimal way to play the class but it worked very well for my party.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
It *is* extremely pleasing to open combat with one of the firearms. The aiming animation aaaaand.... BAM! *combat music starts*

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
The hero edition is nr 1 on GOG at the moment.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
They are PC only in conversations (though I guess there will be times when a companion can interject). It seems that most of the scripted interactions will allow you to use the party members (that's the case in the beta at least).

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
That guy is Anthony Davis of Obsidian. :) He didn't work on the game though.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
RPG Codex got a review copy, which they donated to Sensuki (I believe they will write a review at a later date).

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Top Sellers are actually not unit-based, but money-based. So it's ranking them by which game makes the most cash rather than units sold.

Not sure if that's true or not though.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

I haven't played the game yet, but does anybody find the campfire system to be a bit restrictive in terms of how you use your resources? I've always been suspicious about this mechanic because it seems to force you to make the choice between using the resources you have now or saving them for a future unknown circumstance, which usually boils down to the player being as conservative as possible and never using anything available to him unless he absolutely has to.

Do you find yourself needing to use your per-rest spells more often than the game will allow? Do you easily run out of campfire resources and go without them for long stretches, or are the materials needed for building them fairly easy to come by?

You can't build them as far as I know. You buy them, and sometimes find them in the wild. But they are quite readily available.

I'm playing on Had (which means you can have no more than 2 supplies with you) and it's fine. I'm not sure if I feel it was a necessary change from the IE games but I suppose it does make me play slightly more held back when I'm out adventuring. I've not had any problems of burning up my spells too fast, in fact I think I can use them a fair bit more than I have done previously.
Plus, at least early on in the game, you can always return to an Inn if need be.

It's really a non-issue. Whether one likes the mechanic or not is another question (I'm torn on it myself) but it's really not a big problem in terms of how one plays.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

Man, Grieving Mother's voice recording is really... rough? Many sentences ends with this sharp "zsh" noise, or any time she says anything with an "s".

Noticed this also and it's a bit of a shame.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Vermain posted:

MotB's major story and character threads were actually the work of George Ziets, not Avellone.

Yeah, I will never understand why people attribute so much of that to Avellone, especially as it's been said again and again that MotB isn't his "baby" in any way whatsoever. He wrote two (very good) companions for it and that's it. Now we're seeing the same thing with some of the companions here which had other writers on "his" characters (Durance and Grieving Mother) as well.

EDIT: Also, the above post. Ziets was a stretch goal for this game and he wrote some of the lore and other stuff in pre-production for the game. Then he got turned into a stretch goal for the upcoming Torment game which he is now working fulltime on. :) Pretty cool.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
After having played with the Grieving Mother for a long time now (my main is a Cipher too but different spell-selection) I have to say that Mind Blades feels really overpowered. It just... slaughters. Needs to be nerfed a bit I think.

I'm soon done with Act II (I'm guessing at least), playing on Hard, and I think the game could stand to be buffed up a bit in terms of difficulty to be honest. And I'm far from a master of the IE games or anything like that, I went in kinda expecting to have to turn down the difficulty. But aside from some very early fights, it's been extremely smooth sailing for me. I mean, I certainly have to apply myself in many fights, and it's been close a few times, but I haven't had a party wipe since the temple in the first town and that's... kinda disappointing to me.
I'm sure you really can go straight for the toughest encounters right away and get pwnd but I think it'd still be nice if following the main path (I'm talking loosely here, not like I haven't explored at all outside it) would provide more challenge as well.

It's a difficult balancing act I'm sure, especially since PoE features such a rich toolset in combat to solve thing. But I think Hard should be more like "you better prepare to die some bitch" and PotD should be "your face is gonna get bashed in by the Commoner down the street". I want the game to be a bit more punishing. My Edér goes through most encounters completely unscathed and that's without the "stats getting crazy powerful" bug as far as I can tell.

So I hope it'll get buffed in some patch later on.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Very quick question for those who have finished the game (no spoilers please). Is there a warning or something before heading into the "point of no return"?

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Regarding some of the posts above, one thing I do agree with is that a lot of the encounter design is not that exciting. I think they (possibly Josh) acknowledged that they wouldn't get to do fancier encounter until later on in the series/expansion, but yeah... A lot of the encounters are just... clumps of enemies. Sometimes there are more and harder enemies. But there are not a whole lot of fun setups so to speak.
I hope for the expansion or sequel they can afford to be a bit more inventive and handcraft the encounters a bit more.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Vargs posted:

Does anyone remember where to get the unique pike, Tall Grass?

I believe the blacksmith in Dyrford sells it.

Just got the best dialogue option ever (near the end of the game). Made me laugh despite the seriousness of the scene

When Iorvana (or whatever her name is) talks about how there are no gods, my Philosopher Orlan who annoyed the priesthood in his background, got a unique dialogue option to say "I KNEW IT!". Well done Obsidian, haha!

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Hrm, looks like this new patch potentially screwed up quite a lot of things. And we're on a Friday so I guess hotfixing is out until next week.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

After the patch I cant. The custom character will not even attempt to pick it, its acting like a loving pet.

Try Verifying the cache, I saw someone claim it got fixed after doing that. Not sure if it's true.

quote:

What have you experienced?

Just going by what's reported by others so far so take it with a grain of salt. :) Haven't tried myself yet.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Scorchy posted:

Finished it last night (loved it) on Hard and it was 54 hours for me. Didn't do all the sidequests though.

That's close to my playthrough on Hard. Had about 57 hours but at least two (possibly more) were afk-time. I also didn't do all the bounties, plus one or two side-quests.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I got that option on my first playthrough, was certainly a lol moment.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Yeah, it's not like they're gonna do away with the difficulty levels.

But the encounter design is one of the weaker links in the game I think. Which is understandable but I hope they can really get to town on making more "handcrafted" encounters in the expansion. Where they really feel different from one another. There are parts of PoE that I think really feel like room after room of clumped enemies, sorta copy pasted feel.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Vagon posted:

Alright, this may have been mentioned earlier but I'm terrified of all of the spoilers.

Are there any class specific quests or notable dialog options? Does one get more than the others? I'm tempted to play a priest of.. Ooof.. That one cruel/deceptive god that is all about revolts and freed slaves, with a slave background despite not enjoying the gameplay of a priest a ton. Would there be any interesting interactions associated with that? Or is your god never mentioned if you don't follow the goddess of fire? ..Or really, is she even mentioned much?

And how about Ciphers? I'm going back and forth between the two, but I'd really like to know how much is unique to them roleplay wise.

I'm playing a Priest of Skaen right now and there's not a lot of unique stuff. It's like.. .you can't rely on Skaen options if you want to roleplay a character sorta, you'll have to come up with a character that you feel comfortable outside of that (I'm focusing on being Cruel for example).

There are some unique dialogue options for Cipher (played on as my first character). It doesn't unlock anything *unique* but there are a few flavor things and one or two options where you can "shortcut" a quest because you're a Cipher.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I think the Chanter would have to be rebuilt a bit if one was gonna, for example, start them off with points at the start of battle. Stuff like the summoning Ogres invocation, or even the paralyze cone, are pretty drat powerful. Being able to summon the ogres earlier in fights would wreck even more of the game's difficulty I think.
That said, I do think their mechanics are... They sound really cool on paper I think but it's not as fun to play.

Personally I would also prefer if Ciphers started off with way less focus points than they do when they start battle. I think they feel too powerful right now, being able to unload the best they've got right away.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I would also add my voice to the choir saying that you get to the XP cap waaaay too quickly in the game.

I also think something will need to be done for higher levels, especially if we move on to even higher levels for future games. The bounties represent some of hardest encounters in the game, yet they are for the most part completely trivial if you come prepared to them. Even moreso if you've hit the cap or is close to it (very likely for many of the bounties as one in the first tier is behind the Act III plot-gate so you can't move on to higher bounty tiers until later on in the story when you are, most likely, much higher level) The higher level spells are just waaaay too good. I think there needs to be more... resistance there, whether it's immunities or whatever because just landing one of those spells (which is not even hard, though I suppose it is harder on PotD, am only on Hard) then you've basically won the fight.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Just go over the traps to spring them, seriously. Use Eder or whoever is the beefiest guy.

There is a master staircase on floor 14 and I *think* I found one camping supply on level 13 somewhere though I might be misremembering.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Anyone made any of the cookbook recipes? I made the Darkest Rauatai Cookies today (seems to be the most popular recipe) and I found them really good. A bit too sweet perhaps but that is easily adjustable. Very easy to make as well.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

What ending do you get for this?

There's no specific ending for that. The tower stands so it gets gets used by a bunch of dickheads. You only get the power for your character, it doesn't change anything else.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Fampyrs were also *extremely* predictable for me. When I encountered them in that one level where they're all over the place, every single one of them went after Aloth first, no matter what it seemed. This lead to situations where I could just run Aloth back while the Fampyr would struggle with his pathfinding to get close enough to Aloth. Every single time they bee-lined for Aloth.

When people say that the game needs better AI and better encounter design, they are not wrong in my opinion. The toolbox the game gives the player in regards to classes and abilities are *fantastic* I think (though way overpowered at higher levels unless they seriously buff enemies somehow) but the enemies, AI and encounter design are not nearly good enough to make the player use them properly in my opinion.

And I do think the encounter design is one area where the game just isn't up to snuff with a lot of the BG's. Or rather, the most interesting encounters in PoE are not nearly as involving or challenging as the most interesting encounters in the BG's.

Even the bounties, which are supposed to be the hardest fights in this game, can be won extremely easily if you come prepared (which you would obviously since you know about them beforehand and where they are found). I don't even particularly *like* the IE games combat (and I think PoE improved a lot upon it generally speaking) but those were much better at creating situations that felt really threatening to the player.

With the power level of higher level abilities, I think something drastic needs to be done to some enemies (like immunities for example) for them to be able to have a chance at all against a decent party.

Leinadi fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 14, 2015

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Taear posted:

This is exactly what I think. How're you supposed to enjoy the system or find any fight hard when your experience of it is so utterly utterly removed from the experience of 99% of the playerbase?

It feels like the ultra rich complaining that something is too cheap.

This is really oversimplifying the matter. There are plenty of folks who have not played the beta who have exactly the same complaints. I don't personally agree with a lot of what Sensuki says (though some I definitel do agree with) but that doesn't mean that there aren't valid points there that shouldn't just be excused by A) he played too much of the beta and B) lol rose-tinted glasses. A lot of people sure like to hand-wave things away, saying things like "grognard" and how obviously PoE is the *new* way.

Leinadi fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 14, 2015

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I think more carefully designed encounters and making maps in mind of those encounters would be a very good start. A good example of how things occasionally screws up is one of the spider levels in Od Nua for example. I pull a bunch of spider (on Hard) and I think "holy poo poo, look at that loving spider army coming to get me"... that is, until I realize that a few of the fatso spiders take up all the space in the corridor leaving the rest of the army in an awkward blob behind the rest (leaving my backline free to just rain down all sorts of damaging AoE's on them).

There is a *lot* to be done to make PoE's encounters more enjoyable I think.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I don't really care that much what happens with Normal or Easy difficulties. I could point out that, hey, this was touted as a spritual successor to the IE games which were pretty difficult, at least when compared to many games today. As such, it would be fine if the game was harder than most games today because... as well all hopefully know, not all games need to be for everyone and it's perfectly possible to learn how to get good at games and blablabla. But ultimately, I wouldn't care much if Normal or Easy were tuned down.

But for people who enjoy a challenge, for people who like to play on harder difficulties. Those are the ones I see complaining (and I'm one of those myself). That may turn me into a grog but, again, I was not some master of the IE games (faaar from it) and I'm typically quite bad with RTwP games to be frank. But I still found Hard to be pretty much a non-issue and, what's worse, a bit boring at times due to the encounter design. I've read quite a lot of posts on the OEI forums, on the STEAM forums, on here and elsewhere about people who *were* surprised that the game felt so easy on Hard. Enough people that I don't think it's the "internet tough guy who's a master a gaemz!" syndrome setting in but rather, the game is not hard enough for those people who seek out the challenge of playing on HARD. Or even PotD.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Levels 9 through 12 have significant balance issues, probably because they didn't get play tested in the beta. Most.of the "too easy" criticisms come at those levels.

Hopefully they'll fix that in patches and with expansions.

I agree that those levels are the ones with severe balance issues and it becomes very easy to break the game at that point basically (and without really trying). But I think the game still feels too easy earlier on as well.

Going into the Eothas temple at low level was fun I thought. At first I tried it with just Edér and Aloth but got beaten pretty bad on the lower level. Ended up having to get another party member and even then I found it quite challenging. *That* was kinda what I was looking for. It was clearly "in the way" of (though not part of) the critical path so you stumble upon it easily, but it has the chance of wiping you out pretty easily. So, you run away for a while and either try again after a level up or two, or recruit more help. That was an experience I wanted to feel again.
But there was no encounter after that, except the one at the bottom of the Endless Paths, where I actually had to come back later because it was too difficult for me at the time. There was no feeling of "drat, this is just outta my league right now but I'm looking forward to trying it again later". I got killed on a few encounters but on *all* of those I could re-load and beat it on the next try.
On my replay I don't think I got a party wipe once.

I dunno, perhaps it'd be a good idea to be a bit more daring with the critical path as well, put some really difficult stuff in there as well or that you can find very close to it. Pretty much all of Defiance Bay (except perhaps The Lighthouse ) was very easy and there's a lot of content there to be caught up in. Maybe you level too fast in that content, I dunno.
Maybe the game is structured a bit too tightly along the main path of the game. Perhaps it needed some of that BG style where there is content just waaaay off to the sides of everything so it felt like you could really go exploring stuff.

I'm fine with the more difficult encounters being off the beaten path, I think that's good. But I think it'd be nice to have a few surprises on the critical path, or again, near it, to shake the player up a bit as well.

Leinadi fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 14, 2015

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

quote:

I wouldn't want to see people who want to play on easy/normal penalized, but some tweaks boosts to hard might be nice because I'm NOT a min-maxer, and like to play pretty fast and loose, so I imagine real hardcore players had a much easier time then I did.

This is the kicker for me as well. I was pretty drat lax with both equipment, and building my characters. I didn't really dive into it that much, threw weapons and armor to my party without *really* comparing what's best, didn't really look at what weapon would be best again what enemy, check what saves enemies are strong against etc. I just didn't care much about that stuff at all. And I *still* had a pretty easy time on Hard.
Now, if the game had challenged me more, then I would've loved to dive into the mechanics more but as is, it was not particularly necessary. And that's just... a shame I think.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

I actually felt that was one thing BG2 did fantastically well; Athkatla felt both huge and busy. I think the ambient sound and backgrounds played a huge effect; even if you didn't see it firsthand, you heard the sounds of, well, a city, and could see that you were always in small areas of a very large place.

Agreed, Defiance Bay didn't quite reach that feeling of the *big city*. Sigil was also great in that regard though so much of PS:T takes place there that it may be an unfair comparison.

But I think that's a fair point, if you like at the districts themselves, Defiance Bay just doesn't feel very big. And add on to that, there doesn't seem to be a lot of city... outside of those districts. Like you say, in Athkatla and Sigil it feels like you're exploring parts of something way bigger. Defiance Bay doesn't feel like that I think. Sigil also did the local population well I think, the commoners moving around/standing around.

There are also other things. There is only one marketplace in Defiance Bay and I, unfortunately, feel it's one of the worst areas in the game (I mean that small marketplace, not Copperlane as a whole). There's no "feeling" there at all. And that's it for commerce. Where are the shops? Where's the awesome Adventurer's Mart? Where are the alleyways? The danger? The dirt? The grime? The *feeling* of city-life? I think Ondra's Gift had some of that, but yeah... Not enough overall.

I still found it a lot of fun to explore Defiance Bay, and I realize that making a city in a game feel right is difficult, but yeah... I think they have a ways to go there before reaching the sheer feeling of Athkatla or Sigil. It feels too stiff, sorta like Imperial City in Oblivion (it's nowhere near as bad as that at all but some similar problems).

Leinadi fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 15, 2015

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
There are a number of problems with the end of Act II in my opinion.

-Well, this is not just the end of Act II but... the factions just aren't presented in a very interesting fashion and the quests don't give you enough "depth". I don't think the writing for them is particularly fun or interesting. There are some twists in the end slides with the Doemenels for example but interacting with them, they just feel like the standard thugs. The dozens feel like standard rabble-rousers and... yeah, like that. It's kinda weird in a setting that is pretty drat interesting.
Just compare to picking a god in Act III (even though you can technically do all the quests there), that's just waaaaaaaaaaaaay more interesting.

-As soon as Lady Webb started talking about bringing out the bottle of brandy and me maybe having a sip after I return it's like... well, OBVIOUSLY something is gonna go down. It's predictable.

-Confining the player to the balcony, yet another... nope, nope, moment.

-The actual hearing is cool.

-When Thaos enters and does his thing, our entire party is just sitting like chumps on the balcony watching it all unfold. Come on. To me that's the worst thing, it's the "we have to tell a story, but what the hell are we gonna do with the player?!" thing. The player having a seizure when they run into Thaos afterwards is also a bit convinient.
This entire sequence works well energy-wise, it's exciting and the seizure sorta ups the ante even more. They bring the drama up. But the way it all kicks the player in the balls (in the wrong way) is the problem.

-As mentioned, it nullifies the player's efforts, though thankfully there is a blurb about it in the ending slides.

-And here's maybe the strangest thing for me... It plunges Defiance Bay into chaos, and yet there is basically zero changes when you return to the city. I'm not sure if something else was planned here, if maybe originally they weren't planning on opening up the city again but someone perhaps suggested that players would be mad if they couldn't return later to finish quests or what but... It's very disappointing to return and see that basically *nothing* has changed except for a few flavor dialogues and the Sanitarium burnt down.
If this had been fleshed out, with changes to areas, new NPCs, a new feel, new quests (as much work as this all had entailed) it would've been absolutely awesome. But I'm just not sure why they bothered with it as is. It seems a weird decision to me.

I quite enjoyed the story in this game (love the game overall despite all my criticism, one of my fav RPGs ever probably) but the above was really weak I think and I had expected more.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I like the writing a lot in the game. If they got rid of the descriptive text, I'd be very sad indeed. That blurb above citing some of Edérs introduction is fantastic to me and exactly the type of stuff I want to see in a RPG such as this. Furthermore, it *does* tell you things about Edérs character, or at suggest them at least. First off, it gives some flavor to a scene which can't be pulled off via cinematic means. Big meaty hands, smoking a pipe (OK, there's a pipe-smoking animation), his hair. To me that's not unnecessary at all, it helps reinforce the image of the character in my mind. Stuff like him looking you directly in the eye, but not aggressively is again very telling of his character.
The writing is indeed very flowery but for RPGs such as this, I think it fits in very well. I would find it a lot less fun, less "pen and paper feel, if they had decided not to go with that approach.

I think there are problems with the writing though and it's mainly due to the larger structure of the story, its pacing, how it unfolds and so forth. The broader strokes of the main story could've been much better I think. The end of Act II stands out in a bad way for example.

But the "character bits"? I love those. If those are unnecessary or wasting time, then I guess I love wasting my time.

The flowery and lengthy descriptions when you speak with the gods in the third act are high up on my list of "awesome conversations in RPGs" along with a lot of things from Torment, Myrkul from MotB, The Master from Fallout 1 etc. I thought they were great fun to do even though they are very non-complicated choice-wise.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
If you're feeling like you're in over your head, move on to other stuff. You can always return later.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I think Twin Elms was great which was surprising to me as I usually don't like the tribal, forest-towns in these kinds of games. While it's hard to compare directly, I think it's more successful for what it is than Defiance Bay is (which managed to feel a bit underwhelming for a city of its supposed size).

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

I thought the constant flashes of tortured dudes popping up a few feet away were a good idea for the going insane thing. If I was seeing that in real life, I'd be pretty hosed up over it.

I agree that those were a pretty good thing to sorta bring it home to the player. But I think there is a problem in that these visions pretty much disappear for like... the entirety of Act II and there is little else there to sorta push the "insanity" angle. They reappear later again but there's a big gap in Act II.

But even with those visions, I still think there should've been something *more* to really make the player realize that he's in deep poo poo. The whole Watcher/Awakened thing is also kinda muddled in game I find and it's very easy to miss that it's extremely bad news to be both. The guidebook puts it perfectly clear but unfortunately the game itself isn't as clear about it. There's the discussion with Maerwald but, since he talks a bit crazy-like, it's kinda easy to miss the real "bulletpoints" of what the hell is happening. And many players do miss it.

I love the overall idea of the story but the execution is a big rough in many spots I think.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Patch notes for 1.05 beta are up here: http://forums.obsidian.net/blog/7/entry-183-patch-notes-105-in-progress/

It's a large one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

I don't really care about Durance's wacky opinions, I think he's a badly written character. Avellone can turn a phrase but when he's only got one or two characters to play with of late, he tends to take his blatant metaphors / themes and drive them into the ground as hard as he can. It's a little bit clever that Durance's FIRE BURN ASH BURN BURN DO YOU BURN WATCHER schtick works on the level of his being a stage-y street preacher and also just being a psychopath. But for the most part you could switch out BURN for FLAG and you've basically got Ulysses

The only reason he's not completely unbearable is the game's general shyness toward plot-intensive party NPCs. Just like Caed Nua, they lack meat because they're supposed to be optional v

I partially agree with this. I still think the execution and writing is interesting enough for a really compelling character. But the repetition is definitely tiring and it gets kinda annoying how many of the dialogue nodes lead to basically the same thing but with different wording. THE GODHAMMER! Oh really, tell me more about that please? Again...
And sometimes, the way he twists a simple sentence makes me think "wait... what the hell did he just actually *say*?" and not in a good way.

Durance is probably the wordiest of the companions, and I *like* wordy (I wish all companions had more dialogue to them), but unfortunately quite a lot of it is just repetition to the point where it feels like it's just (god)hammering the point home.

I think he's still the most intriguing character of them all though. Avellone has a way to paint a character that not many other writers have I think. But more understated characters like Edér or Sagani are better executed in many ways I think. But Durance and Grieving Mother are the most interesting, just purely concept-wise and background-wise I think.

I also like it that Durance is a bit of a bastard to your character. It's always nice to have a character like that and I think Durance manages to be nasty and obnoxious and still managing to be interesting, and with depth, which is somewhat of a feat.

Leinadi fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 4, 2015

• Locked thread