Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

One thing I'm still unclear on is what system(s) the game uses to simulate the relationship between the PC and her companions, if any. Is there a discrete influence system? Do the companions react to dispositions or reputations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Fungah! posted:

rename one of the vailian republics city 9 tia
It has to be one big tire fire though

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Not extensively. Dyrford had one voiced character iirc

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Sensuki posted:

Health-healing mechanics were never supposed to be a part of the game.
By the way did you ever complete that shadow design document

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

he's an elf wizard. The companions and their classes are in the OP under spoiler tags

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Does that actually happen in the latest build? As far as I could tell I never used to in previous.
I'm not sure it was ever in. Instead they gave mages a 2/encounter direct damage / dazing (small) AoE ability from the jump

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Do people have any good suggestions for Barbarian or Monk builds? Priests that aren't of Magran?
A single-serving CC monk is a fun build. In descending order of important stats, you've got intellect, constitution, and dexterity / might (interchangeable depending on what you want to emphasize). Take talents that enhance your accuracy and enjoy locking down single dudes and launching them across maps. I'll have to check and see if they rebalanced the abilities but when I was running the build before I was consistently disabling mooks for 15-20 seconds in a single blow.

Question for people who've played the beta on hard: Does Medreth receive an invisibility ability / potion at this difficulty level? Because I hit him with the wizard's summoned vampiric stave and all of a sudden I can see his selection circle on the map, his name and lifebar are still there, but his body isn't in the picture and he cannot be targeted. I don't know if this is a bug.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 18, 2015

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There are recommended specs on Steam. It's a far less demanding game than, say, Wasteland 2 or Dead State

Big Bottom posted:

Rope kid did you find you were able to use any of your ideas/quests/writing from The Black Hound in PoE?
The reputation / disposition system is lifted from TBH, more or less

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

Will this game have steam workshop support, or otherwise conducive to modding?
They announced that a Nexus site will be commissioned

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Resolve seems slightly marginal in terms of derived stats (at least, comparative to the benefits offered by other stats) but in the BB it seemed to be the bluff / intimidate stat, used to both throw the hit squad off the orlan's trail and shake down the evil noble. That said, they'd probably prefer it if each stat had usage both in and out of combat.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 19, 2015

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Phil Niekro posted:

Wait-- Forton was dropped?
Only two of the five previewed companions made the final cut, Aloth and Eder. Two of four if you don't count the psychic detective (who I don't recall ever being highlighted, just sort of accepted as a companion)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The actual text description makes it fairly apparent that crits of any kind benefit from the damage amplification

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Furism posted:

Well I don't think it's that clear honestly. If it said "+0.5 Damage Multiplayer to All Crits" then yes it would be cristal clear. Because if that's the case it's a very powerful talent to have.
Not to belabor the point but

Granted you could make an inquiry as to whether it works the way it says it does for the purposes of bugfixing, but what the talent is supposed to do is crystal clear

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

[timg] tags!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Sensuki posted:

Eughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what the christ - who's idea was it to slow all recovery while moving? I thought we were over that "trying everything we possibly can to penalize people who move around/play mobile characters" stage after paused recovery was removed.
Let's all observe a moment of silence for man defense in PoE

Fun as it would be to play melee pinball, this is a smart way to make endless kiting less imminently practical. It's certainly not going to prevent anyone in particular from devolving PoE's design into Sword Coast Stratagem cheese through the power of mods, that's for sure

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Why would Obsidian want to do that though, instead of kickstarting it again/funding with PoE profit, owning it themselves, and just having Paradox do some physical reward fulfillment like they're doing? What's in it for Obsidian?

(Nothing. Nothing is)
Feargus didn't seem opposed to the notion, what with publishers apparently becoming more open to Obsidian's ideas.

But then he also talked up the possibility of a AAA PoE game and with the way all publishers approach IP, that won't happen

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

MartianAgitator posted:

You've clearly not done the Jaheira romance. It takes a decade for each event to fire. There are people who bought BG2 at release and are still waiting for a gormless anime-kiss from Jaheira.
The quest triggers for Jaheira were broken, I only met Elminster once over years of play and that was pure luck.

Luckily for all of us, the EE fixed that right up.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I don't understand how a strategy guide would work unless post-release tuning is relatively minor. Something like changing how secondary stats are derived could throw a lot of things off, presumably

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

PoE is coming out in the middle of my spring break so I'm gonna make my first game as memorable as possible by playing with Trial By Iron and Expert Mode Lite* enabled. Normal difficulty. It'll make for a good story at least, provided that I don't run into a game-breaking bug.

Think I'm gonna go for a low-strength, high-dex, high-per Savannah Folk monk. An actually decent monk build might switch perception for intelligence by maximizing disables and debuffs, but the character I want to play is incredibly perceptive.

*Expert Mode, minus the obfuscation of targeting reticules

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 22, 2015

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Also we do have confirmation on how the game will be released? If it's tied to a specific time in a specific time zone we'll be denied the great goon pastime of bull-rushing South Korean VPNs.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

PoE preorders are #18 on Steam's top seller list as of right now, which is pretty good

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

A gamer's principles have never interfered with his appetites

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

it's also funny that the Royal Edition (the $90 version) is #10 on the list and the Champion Edition ($60 version) is #12. Reminds me of the KS campaign and how higher tier pledges outpaced more modest pledges, which seemed unusual. I'd think if the grogs were to rub their dicks raw about anything it's the preorder edition spread, not the DRM stuff. That's Gamerz Rights bait if I've ever seen it. Hoodwinking innocent gamers with trinkets and DLC... what a shame

I'm looking at the preorder tiers and man... Think of a movie theater - they charge $5 or whatever for a cup containing maybe a dime or two's worth of soda, so there's an extreme amount of unit profit per sale (which is, famously, how movie theaters have always stayed in business). People spring for the special editions and pay up to more than double the normal asking price in exchange for a trove of digital goodies, which, bandwidth costs aside, probably don't add much in costs to producing and delivering the product. And since Obsidian is taking percentage rather than a lump sum commission... Obsidian could be making a ton of money here.

I guess we'll see when the reviews start rolling in. Everybody grumbles about them but I imagine they'll make some difference in getting less spergy players off the fence about getting the game

#e;fb

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 22, 2015

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jackard posted:

does this game have the equivalent of Irenicus dungeon?
IIRC from previews the intro includes a small dungeon featuring a floor puzzle and some light combat / scripted encounters to introduce some of the unique game concepts with no strings attached.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Being the first.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

ZZZorcerer posted:

Any chance we're getting the Collector's Book or the Almanac before Friday?
You can get the almanac on Tuesday if you get it through Amazon in the next however many hours. Might need Prime / two-day shipping

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

But since they're a tank, won't that be a single puny hit? Well worth taking?
At this point I think people may be underestimating how devastating debuffs (like disengagement penalties) can be, especially on harder difficulties.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Davos posted:

Only the physical version iirc
Nah they're covering euro localization and I think they chipped into QA as well

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, when you hire a Gold Pact paladin to do something, they'll do it. Bleak Walkers are hired specifically so they don't have to do anything. After all, doing their thing is why people don't want them to do their thing so they don't do anything.

Uh...
Iirc bleak walkers work under a very specific circumstance - they're impasse breakers, essentially. Which would mean that if a guy wants to hire a bleak walker to kill a rival faction whose requests to parlay are falling on deaf ears, she'll refuse (but would be open to being hired by the rival faction). It's not in the interest of the bleak walker's reputation to be anything but the very last resort in conflict. They don't just kill anyone for money. That's what Goldpact Knights are for.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Eonwe posted:

i pretty much never like to add Con to my main character

how important is con in general in this game
Depends on how important weathering sustained hits / not succumbing to poison is to you.

It's also one of the stats that's going to be called on a lot in illustrated encounters.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Con isn't a dump stat by any means but at the same time it can be pretty easily buffed by consumables and rest bonuses, so 12-14 should be fairly suitable for most characters I would think

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Davos posted:

The illustrated storylets usually let you choose anyone from your party to do a thing so as long as you've got SOMEONE with a high score in whatever stat is called for you'll be good. The thing only your MC's stats determine is conversation options.
This is sometimes true. Most interactions involving party transitions will test the entire party - the rope crossing in the beta and the water diving in the previews both did this.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

One non-spoiler feature highlighted in the streams is that backer NPCs (the ones with gold nameplates) are essentially sensory stones from PS:T, you "talk" to them and access snippets of ancestral memory / lore. Which is good because it was weird in the beta that there were all these named NPCs who could not be interacted with in any way

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Nephrite posted:

I realize that this is probably an impossible question to answer but I thought I'd ask anyway. I was considering playing a Druid as my first character but am more interested in the Spiritshifting aspects of them but I heard that Spiritshifting was pretty horrible. Have they made any changes to it since a few weeks ago to make it good?
Not really, iirc Rope Kid said that it was a really hard thing to tweak from a technical standpoint and that it would take a bit of time

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Rangers are considered by powergame nerds to be the weakest class, mechanically, at least as of the last beta update. Whether you use guns or bows or crossbows is up to you, as is the choice of animal companion. A bear is the tank-est option.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

A standard embargo is in effect until the day of release. But unofficial word of mouth from people who have played it is well positive.

A druid definitely will not be useless at higher level, their spell selection is pretty gnarly and they'll be able to rely on it more

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yes, there is quest content for each CNPC

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

epitasis posted:

WHY ISNT THIS IN THE MARKETING MATERIALS
A long held dream of Rope Kid's https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/316714473899565056

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Is this why Wasteland 2 had three different skills for trap removal.
When the WL2 beta first came out, it appeared to have a host of build varieties even with most skills unimplemented. However in short order it was discovered that Wasteland's legacy character system was hilariously inflexible - every character absolutely had to have fairly substantial minimum stats in (iirc) agility and especially perception, or else they would be effectively useless in (very frequent) combat. Building a semi-dedicated talker or a skill use character meant either going last in every combat round or often not going at all.

That's a rather fundamental balance / system problem, obviously, one that you don't really see anymore in games because RPG developers have (rightly) moved away from combat / non-combat character build distinctions - it's both smarter and easier to make any kind of build viable in combat. But since WL2 was an overt nostalgia trip pitched to Codex types, radical system revision was not an option.

What they opted for instead was to make the systems more complicated - in the finished version, derived combat stats are calculated using numerous primary stats in opaque and nonsensical ways. Trap builds were still possible, they were just obscured by oblique and superfluous design. Which is the Codex's approach to games in a nutshell: there's no turd that can't be febreezed, so long as the turd's integrity qua turd can be maintained

• Locked thread