Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I usually make a full custom party when I get the option but are the companion NPCs good? Do they offer a lot of quests/content? Might just leave one slot open and rotate them depending on how I'm feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

But I've heard rumours that ropekid hates fun too, so even then, yes.
Fun must be sacrificed at the altar of Balance. And sometimes, son, to keep yourself Balanced and Neutral, you have to do some evil things.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't think it's fair to use RPGCodex as an example of real people. They have a poisonous effect on the soul.

I would know, I posted there for about 8 years, had no interest in PoE, stopped posting there like a month ago and now I want the game :shrug:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Remember when they hated Morrowind on release because they thought it was a dumbed down version of Daggerfall, and nowadays it usually makes the top 10 list on their annual Best RPGs voting?
these were probably not the same individuals and I do not believe joining a forum means signing a blood pact to take collective responsibility for and toe the forum line on all the opinions that have ever been spouted by said forum

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Vermain posted:

Codex's problem isn't that they think old games are fun (they are), but that they perfected fun and all subsequent iterations of games along their lines should follow them as closely as possible.
in my experience it's more a deep-seated bitterness that subsequent games went down a different route, by and large, than they expected

like, Fallout 1 is a good game, but it's best seen as being a herald of things to come; it's rough, it doesn't always deliver what it tries to do, it's unbalanced as hell, even the lauded writing and choices are often sloppy or lacking in consequences. It's still good, especially because playing it at the time, you went "holy poo poo, is this the future of RPGs? I can't wait to see where they go from here!" and it turns out most of them took after Diablo or BG2 instead. The things Fallout emphasised never really took off - Wasteland 2 tried to replicate a lot of them but ended up falling prey to some of the exact same flaws and introducing lots of new ones too, which isn't really what you want from a game made like 18 years later.

The Infinity Engine games have a love-hate reception for precisely that reason; taken by themselves, they're very good, but by and large, the Codex wanted RPGs to take after Fallout's ideas instead, which is a perfectly respectable opinion. BG2 is seen as a good game which led to a kind of dark period for RPGs even though it's probably not really its fault per se, like the success of Resident Evil 4 (a good game) led to a horrifying swathe of derivative TPSs filled with QTEs (bad games), and the success of CoD4 (a fun game) led to endless lovely pseudo-realistic knockoff military shooters (bad games).

Of course, that's just the visible face of the Codex, most of the forum is split into chill dudes talking about Might and Magic and crazy people talking about their petrifying hatred of women and their night terrors about miscegenation. More the latter, really.

That was too many words about a lovely forum but I guess it's a view I share a lot with even if it's generally expressed as badly as possible. Maybe that makes me a horrible grognard who dares to like old stuff or whatever, I dunno.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 24, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

WMain00 posted:

I hated Fallout, but then again I played it many many years after its release through Gog and I could obviously see that my hatred of it was simply down to the mechanics and gameplay aging terrible.

No doubt Codex would burn me at the stake for saying such things.
It's aged pretty badly but smacking someone in the nuts with a hammer so hard that he comically slides across the map never really gets old.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm gonna take this opportunity to attack some RPG noobs. :mrgw:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Eej posted:

Gun Wizards, come on guys.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

bitmap posted:

Thankyou. Rogue main it is.

I'm rolling with maindude, four adventurers and a guest slot for NPCs to drain them of delicious content before I kick them into a lake

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Last year, I got fired the day before Original Sin came out. I took it as a sign.

This year, I finished uni the day after (or the day?) PoE came out.

I will also take this as a sign

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Megazver posted:

The game was explicitly designed to please IE grogs.
Josh Sawyer, pleaser of grognards

also can other characters use conversation skills and stuff or just the main character?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

So I'm gonna run with five custom dudes and a guest slot to drain NPCs of their sweet content and quest exp because that is how I roll. Not sure about my party though, here's a tentative list. I don't care about being super super spergin on my min-maxing but I like the satisfaction of building a powerful team and seeing a good build pay off. Mainly I just like to make a solid all-round party that's a decent mix of being able to do cool flexible stuff without being micro hell. So if this party sounds terrible, or micro as hell, or if I've just made some dumb mistakes based on my limited understanding of how the game actually works, please let me know!!! Thanks!!!!

quote:

Cipher
Human
Ranged/Cipher spells/maximum dialogue option stuff
Intellect > Resolve > Might > Dexterity
Should be able to go close combat in a pinch but will spend most of his time ranged with cipher spells/skills and pistol

Paladin
Moon Godlike?
Bleak walker?
Constitution > Perception > Might
Not sure about this one to be honest
Thinking he should maybe be a Fighter or Barbarian instead? Chanter and Cipher together seem to already cover a lot of the Paladiny grounds
Meant to be the guy who can stand at the front of the party dealing decent hits while taking a lot of punishment and doing stuff that can buff/keep himself and others going - Paladin is usually good for that but maybe not in this game??
Really don't know about this guy !!!

Monk
Coastal Aumauma?
DPS
Might > Dex > Constitution > Resolve
Dual wield/unarmed
Punches dudes, at the front but probably with more micro. Guess he's likely to be a bit squishier than the above guy, but with medium armour he should be fine, especially since it seems like he needs to take some hits to use his superpowers

Chanter

Dwarf
Intellect > Constitution > Might > Resolve
Ideally should be able to be in the thick of combat and hold his own, but not a tanky dude exactly - in front of the Cipher but behind the Paladin and Monk. I dunno gonna see how this class works in practice but it sounds rad

Wizard
Elf
I dunno your usual wizard build w/e
Probably Might first if I want him to be a nuker which I do
then Intellect then Resolve?

Guest Slot

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

now I'm being told I need a priest but I don't want to take a priest because they're lame and boring. I am trapped in indecision and will never start playing this vide o game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't know how to make my tanky chanter adventurer

I feel like he wants constitution/perception/resolve for obvious tank reasons, but he also wants int so his chants can reach everyone (specifically thinking of the reloading chant for my ranged guys), and he also wants might because ultimately he's going to spend 95% of his time swinging a sword at dudes so he should probably be doing damage even though that's not his primary purpose.

help

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah I have a Cipher, a Chanter and a Priest and a Wizard just wasn't keeping up or bringing anything worthwhile to the table apart from slicken. Might wheel one out at higher level to see if he's good yet.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Here is what my number row keys do in this video game:

1. Selects first party member
2. Selects both first and second party members
3. Nothing
4. Selects fourth party member
5. Selects fifth party member
6. Selects sixth party member

is this wrong
it seems wrong

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So which feels closest to core rules in the Infinity Engine games? Normal or Hard?
Hard on Expert (think New Vegas Hardcore Mode) but honestly Expert disables a lot of quality of life stuff that is actually really good, so just play Hard

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm having fun imagining that Codex thread.
as far as I remember the Codex consensus was "that's fine since it was obviously designed and released for PC first", but I won't interrupt your having fun w/ speculation at hypothetical internet conversations that don't exist

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Vehementi posted:

"Changed reload speed multiplier from 2 to 1.2 for Sure-Handed Ila."

Well Kana it's been fun.
this feels like a huge blow to chanters but on the other hand an optional ability to double the DPS of every ranged party member every fight for free is probably OP. Blurp

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

Sensuki was a one-man QA team who worked for free (like at least 60% of the posts in the bug report forum were his bug reports or threads bumping his bug reports), but he was also compiling a full doc for the Codex essentially describing how they would make the game if they were in charge, as if Obsidian were a political regime and the forum was its shadow government. It was peak Codex, I don't know if it was ever completed or released though.
im extremely angry about someone collating + delivering constructive feedback !!!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fuligin posted:

So PoE has wetted my appetite for other isometric CRPGs, a genre I haven't really dipped my toe into before. I've been looking at the Baldur's Gate EEs, but I seem to recall controversy when they came out, for reasons that at the time meant nothing to me. Are they worth picking up? And if so, is BG1 still worth playing or should I just skip to the sequel that everyone raves about?
If you want a PoE-like experience, you want Baldur's Gate. The EEs are worse than the originals for a few reasons that will mean literally nothing to you if you haven't played the originals, and are otherwise a bit more polished and easy to get into. I'd say skip BG1 - I find it to be a boring exercise in slowly wiping the map of identical wilderness screens like an unpaid window cleaner in the hope of finding some loot (you won't find loot). BG2 is good.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fish Fry Andy posted:

One of my favorite things in Dragon Age: Origins was actually that you could turn your wizard into a souped up melee guy by sacrificing a bunch of their mana. It was cool as gently caress. I think that my next playthrough in this game will be as a muscle wizard.
Hahaha, there was a special subclass to do that wasn't there? I fondly remember that I could literally press a button that, for free, turned my wizard into what was described on the tin as a better fighter, giving him an utterly absurd inherent armour class, boosting all his stats, letting him equip heavy armour with no penalty, and so allowing him to out-tank boring fighter dude, out-DPS rogue dude, and out-wizard himself before pressing that button.

In fairness it was also the only way to make that joyless chore of a game fun.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

01011001 posted:

drat, devin townsend is getting uglier every year

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mandy Thompson posted:

What are those titles equivalent to? Are Thayns counts? arch-counts? Are Earl's arch-dukes?
these are all real titles which you can check facts + fun trivia about, via the wikipedia website.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

New Leaf posted:

What party builds do you guys like? My main is a Rogue, but I'm starting to wish I had gone Cypher and built in Mechanics and Stealth.. I just got to Dyrford Village, and now I'm overwhelmed by the number of team options I have.

My character is stuck.
I have to have a tank.
I have to have a priest.

I like the Paladin, but not for any specific reason.
I'm a fan of the Chanter's buffs, but meh.. I can live without him.
The Wizard I'm not super keen on. I had him in my party for ages, but I feel like his cast times are a bit of a bother.
If I need a damage caster who won't die immediately, I can keep the Druid on the team I guess..
I just got the Cypher. Excited to see how she works.
And the Ranger is a Ranger..
I'm currently running w:

Cipher main, ranged DPS, Cool Cipher Stuff
Eder, cool tank man
Durance, cool priest man
Adventurer Chanter, off-tank, high int to hopefully buff everyone in the party
Adventurer Godlike Monk, melee DPS
Adventurer Druid - replaced the wizard with this guy, only just started using him but he seems to have a better spell selection and less squishiness

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I finally reached Raedric's Hold to put him down for being such a problematic f*cking shitlord. What exactly is the crash bug and how do I avoid it?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

can I level up my adventurers to my main's level with IE Mod or something? my boy Toot Mask been ridin w/ me since day 1

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cy Butterfingers the bounty bandit is beating the poo poo out of me. I took down The Dweller okay and by all accounts he's supposed to be tougher, but I just don't know how to tackle a full party like this dude's in an open area. He loving murders everyone with his massive sword with ease, his priest and wizard drop AoEs and debuffs everywhere, if I try to get someone to them to take them out ASAP his rogue and barbarian run around stabbing the poo poo out of everyone, even his monk spends most of the fight kicking my monk around the area and laughing.

I'm only level 5 and I guess the answer is "come back later" but I don't want to :(

Also I feel like my monk and chanter might be kind of poo poo, but I like them in theory.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Vermain posted:

Start at the northeastern corner of the big adra circle he's at. There should be, roughly in the middle, a smaller adra pillar next to the big central one. Position your tanks just above that position, with the rest of your party behind them. Use one tank to pull them up. This should funnel them into the small corridor between the big and small adra pillars, at which point you can CC spam to your heart's content.
This went slightly better, but yeah, this just isn't happening at level 5 on hard, even when things go as well as possible (usually by charming Sly with my cipher) I just get out-damaged and my tanks can't hold up long enough. Somehow managed to get it down to just my monk against a Near Death Sly at one point but I have no idea how. Gonna come back at level 6, probably with Aloth because I can see Confusion being amazing in this encounter.

Have to say, it's a well-designed fight, but really brings a lot of my annoyances with RTwP to the fore. I pause a lot and the auto-pause options are great, but in a 6v8 fight with spells and abilities flying everywhere, there's still far too much going on at once to keep track of, unless I want to trawl through the entire combat log to work out why dude #4 lost a big chunk of health all of a sudden. I guess I just like the absolute system control that turn-based offers? Personal taste, maybe.

Also, should Eder be using a different weapon? I upgraded his starting one to Fine and give him the one from the stronghold when fighting spirits and such, but otherwise, everything seems quite samey - slow weapons seem to be strictly better than fast weapons but otherwise the different types don't seem to... well, differ much in effect. :shrug:

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 6, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Vermain posted:

The differences between weapons are tiny in terms of mechanical effects, so it's understandable that they all feel largely the same. I'm personally a much bigger fan of just letting people pick whatever weapon is most aesthetically appealing and then having larger passive effects as part of some kind of enchantment/charm system.
That's definitely fine with me, was just wondering if I was missing something !!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

LibbyM posted:

Is the earliest blunderbuss not until defiance bay?

Buy the weapon shop at the stronghold, he sells fine blunderbusses, along with plate mail and other good stuff.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I stuck the godlike dude from Magran's Fork in my dungeon and I feel like I missed out on looting him of something cool as a result. Do you miss the loot from people you imprison?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Everdraed posted:

Once again it falls upon me to make quality mods for hit new video games, so I've taken great pains to produce the ultimate mod for Pillars of Eternity:

Shark Mouth Mod

Pillars is a great game, but I felt the included chanter companion was severely underpowered. I mean, his abilities and stats are fine, but if I'm going to believe he's a truly powerful battle singer I need a character and voice that's got some weight and fame behind it. As such I've replaced the character of Kana with Shark Mouth, the Eora equivalent of a certain real-world musical superstar.

Shark Mouth has sung songs in front of thousands in Dyrwood, and is known for providing the background tracks for the Aumua-animated film series Shrak. This mod replaces all chants and generic movement / combat reaction voice files. With Shark Mouth in your party, you can finally consider your team of adventurers All Stars.

http://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/40/
Will this work with a custom chanter

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Struensee posted:

There's a door that won't open in Od Nua level 5. How do I get it open? Looks like there's treasure behind it!
Switch to the right of it, you need a pretty high mechanics I think.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nobody is coming off very well in Blood Legacy. If I send the girl off possessed by the spirit of Occupy Wall Street protesters to massacre her family, then go back to the temple and wipe out the cult, will that be reflected in the ending slides?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

So I'm level 7 and blowing squads of dragons out of the sky with blunderbusses and have only just decided to actually go to Defiance Bay. Am I going to basically waltz through the city like a squad of unstoppable tiny sovereign citizens? I have no problems with this if so

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Everdraed posted:

It looks like the Nexus has put my Shark Mouth Mod (which converts the under-powered Kana chanter companion into the ultra-powerful battle singer Shark Mouth) under review, hopefully they read and respond to my appeal.

In the mean time if anyone wants to convert Kana's portraits, chants, and generic audio barks into soul-searing Smash Mouth hits, you can download the mod at this link: http://splicetube.com/poe/SHARKMOUTHMOD.rar
The Nexus genuinely has a policy of deleting funny mods for being "troll mods", like BonziBuddy's excellent Morrowind: Gold Edition.

Change Kana into that weird blue-haired singing anime thing and you'll get 500k downloads and be hailed as a god.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Is it just me who finds Eder pretty good at dealing damage even without talents in that area? 16 Might and Weapon Focus Ruffian along with the Fighter's decent accuracy mean he puts out pretty dependably strong auto-attacks, especially with Durance buffing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

is it wrong to find it hilarious that every stronghold defense battle opens with me blowing all my hirelings into chunks within the first couple of rounds? I'm sorry guys but I have a druid who really likes dropping meteors and tidal waves on people and you've made sure they're all bunched together and you only cost 50gp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

What can i do to keep these ghosts from just teleporting to my mage and instantly killing him in this church basement or whatever
Stick him in heavy armour. It'll slow his spellcasting down a bit so it's not ideal all the time but he'll laugh off the shadowy dudes' attacks.

• Locked thread