Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Kurtofan posted:

Wasn't it a game that would play like a fresca or something, it sounded trippy.

Sounds refreshing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Harebrained schemes has put out two games with their shadowrun engine and is working on a third, why not kickstart Pillars Of Eternity 2?

I think the hope is that POE will sell well enough to fund a sequel on its own, then Obsidian can go back to kickstarter for another game entirely. I'm still hoping for a space opera.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I've made a list of classes and races not covered by the party members you can get purely to narrow down my choices. Class options are Barbarian - Rogue - Monk, and I think I'll go with Rogue. I'll choose whichever race seems to complement that best, out of Pale Elf - Savannah Human - Ocean Human - Wild Orlan - Coastal Aumaua - Mountain Dwarf- Nature Godlike - Death Godlike- Moon Godlike- Fire Godlike.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

:toot:

Culturally I'm going Living Lands but I figure Living Lands most likely doesn't have a distinct linguistic flavor given it's a sparsely populated colonial zone, so Rauatai seemed the best place to start for a Coastal Aumaua in the Living Lands.

I'm loving all the lore for this game so far. The touch about Godlike being legally considered genderless in the Vailian Republics because they can't produce children amused the hell out of me.

Ooh they're infertile? So if a godlike was born to like, high society parents with no other children they'd hate it because their bloodline will end with you probably. I've been wondering what sort of backstory my PC might have and "kicked out by my well-to-do parents with nothing but the clothes on my back because they resent me for never being able to give them a grandchild" seems compelling enough.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Is it just steam that does preloads or will gog be doing them too? I bought my wife a gog copy and she's uh, keen to play as soon as possible.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The impressions review sites have posted so far seem generally pretty positive, maybe this could be the game to break the 84 On Metacritic curse.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

hopterque posted:

Oh cool just what I'm waiting for, a john walker review.

Hey, at least it's not Quintin Smith.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

Its not that I disagree with his sentiment, I just think hes a bit of a penis and not a very good writer. I have so little time for games journalism anyway, but his article a couple of years ago against misogyny and sexism is a prime example. I didn't disagree with him, its that his delivery was very student-politics and moved into face palm territory when he talked about how he likes loving his wife and how shes pretty good in bed.

To be fair, I feel much the same way about his wife

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The reviews are mentioning that the plot is pretty good, with the second act climax getting a few mentions. The combat gameplay is fun (and challenging for an RPG noob like, uh, a friend of mine) but hearing drips of information about the story is taking me from "excited to play" to "why can't I play it now drat you". I really hope there's a powerful charismatic villain yelling "I SHALL CRUSH YOU UTTERLY, WATCHERRRR"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The steam version will supposedly be DRM free so unless you have a strong aversion to steam no reason not to choose that one.

True but on the other hand the GOG version will supposedly be DRM free so unless you have a strong aversion to GOG no reason not to choose that one.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

surc posted:

I would really like to see an argument that makes any sense when talking about Steam's DRM. That sounds like I am being a jerk, but I seriously would just love to have it proven to me that there one sane person out there with a legitimate gripe against it, so that I can bring it up in arguments. Currently I cannot, because the logic behind all of those issues is non-existent.

Let's be real for a second here. You can come up with whatever stories you want to justify how Steam's DRM is the reason, but unless you fall within the .01% of people who actually have some weird issue with steam because you live in a country consisting of 3 people and your internet runs on carrier pigeons or whatever, the only non-insane reason to get GOG is if you plan to provide a pirated copy to other people.
Yeah but what you're saying is "as steam is the default why would you not use steam". If someone doesn't consider steam to be the default what are the advantages? That's the actual question being asked. Auto updates, achievements, the ability to take screenshots without downloading a separate program, etc. are probably the answers.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I tore through the first few areas to pick up companions, now I'm going to head back to Valewood and go in that bear cave,and properly explore around Gilded Vale. I'm playing on Easy but starting to get the hang of the combat. A wizard attacked me and I hit her so hard she exploded into chunks, then I looted a grimoire from her corpse and gave her spells to Aloth. Game appears to own.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Just put my first few hours in, and found a bug in the character creator. After picking my stats, you click next and then pick your character's culture, which gives a +1 buff to a single stat. Except that it doesn't. I set my Resolve to 12, click Next, and the first entry in culture select is Aedyr, which gives +1 to Resolve. My stats at the top of the screen still say 12 Resolve. I select the next culture option, Deadfire Archipelago which gives +1 Dexterity. I gain +1 to Dexterity, but now my stats say 11 Resolve. The first culture that is preselected doesn't give you its bonus, but changing cultures will then subtract the bonus that you never got.

Your character automatically starts with that +1 Resolve because they're Aedyran by default. In character creation look at the information for the Resolve stat, it'll say something like "base +1 Aedyran"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I didn't even know you could double click items to equip them so my save game is immaculate. I guess ignorance is bliss :smug:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

I blame Sensuki's videos for telling me. This is all his fault.

Wait Sensuki could figure out a system where you clip all your party members into each other to instagib enemies but he never got the double click bug??

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

rope kid posted:

There's not much point in me speculating on when the patch will go live. The fixes are in and it's being tested. If someone finds a major problem either with the fix or something else, we're not going to release the patch until it's been dealt with.

STOP USING LOGIC AND REASON AND JUST UPLOAD THE PATCH

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I just found out the name of the main villain of the game. I found out because after I took on Sagani I went back to Brighthollow and slept, and she woke me up and promised to help me find him. That was the first indication I'd had that the game would even HAVE a villain. I think maybe I'm resting more than the game expects me to.

rope kid posted:

I can understand why people want more from the stronghold. There's nothing cut from the stronghold, but it was an enormous amount of work just to get what you see in the shipped game. Considering the number of people who seem to rabidly hate any sort of stronghold management, it was hard to justify putting even more time and content into something that was going to be purely optional after you encountered it.

I'm a fan of the implementation so far, I like getting pop-ups like "Brutish Warrior was ambushed on his way to the stronghold to ask for a job, maybe beef up your security" (well I sure won't be employing Brutish Warrior for that will I) and gradually restoring the place. I did kind of wonder who I was taxing but since the place keeps getting raided by bandits I figured I was probably taxing them and they wanted it back. It's maybe not very deep but I'm exploring the mystery of the disappearing baby souls, I don't need to be running a whole Sim City at the same time. Really my only gripe is that I sent Kana off on an "average adventure" and he's taking for-loving-ever to get back.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

greatBigJerk posted:

It's probably too early to talk about it, but maybe we could get a stronghold expansion via DLC?

More stronghold stuff would be pretty cool but I'm just happy to hear that it apparently shows up in the ending slides.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Help how do I beat feral druids?? In the wood on the way to Dyrford they curbstomped me. And I'm on Easy!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Zore posted:

Yeah, I think the only really immoral or amoral people you can get are Durance and maybe Aloth. Eder is also pretty willing to go along with whatever and doesn't really comment on any of the evil poo poo.

Everyone else has a pretty strong moral compass though and will call you out constantly if you're being an evil poo poo, especially Grieving Mother and Hiravias.

I'm surprised Grieving Mother's a Good character, her introduction gave me pretty sinister vibes.

So Chris Avellone's two characters are a robed figure with cryptic dialogue and an antagonistic view of the religion he follows who insists on "testing" you and a woman who communicates telepathically and uses a glamour spell to remain inconspicuous. It must have hurt poor Kreia to get split in half like that!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Which element has the highest number of enemies weak to it? It's probably fire, it usually is, but I love enchanting my weapons(and Hiravias's beast form) to do Shock damage.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Anal Papist posted:

For people asking about sales numbers earlier, there is a steam achievement for the 77k backers that is currently sitting at 19%, which would give a very rough figure of around 385k total players.

I doubt every backer got a steam copy, but even if you assume 50% of them did, and only 50% of them actually got the achievement, that 19% still points to 100k total players, which is pretty cool.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Do you have to keep him with you for a certain amount of time? My wife doesn't want him in her party because he's so objectionable but probably wouldn't mind putting in the bare minimum to see his story. The Avellone really intensified when I learned he was scarred inside and out after surviving a huge explosion

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Second playthrough (if I do one any time soon, I'm loving this game but shepherding 6 people through constant combat is pretty intense if you're new to the genre so I might shelve it until there's some expansion news when I'm done) will def be a barbarian who dual wields warhammers and focuses solely on attack speed and damage output. Maybe a monk if you can make a good warhammer monk, the point is that I want to dual wield warhammers.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

I'm seeing achievements for making stuff. How exactly do you make stuff?

Press I to bring up your inventory and then look for the button that says "crafting"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I don't like the sound of an expansion coming out in two parts. I'd rather play through a whole smaller expansion than half of a bigger one with the other half months away. I mean I'm buying it either way, but even if it's breaking from the Grand Infinity Engine Tradition I'd rather have smaller complete adventures, New Vegas style

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's pretty cool.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Megazver posted:

I am scared to poo poo it's going to be Pathfinder. It's the most likely option, unfortunately. That's what the grogs would most like and Obsidian already have a deal with Pathfinder to work on stuff.

I wish they did a Powered by Apocalypse game instead, but that's probably not going to happen.

Yes. Kana, Sagani, Pallegina, Hiravias, Eder you just bring to where they ask you to bring them. Aloth, I think, benefits from being brought to the animancy meeting and maybe the sanitarium main plot mission. Grieving Mother is mostly about having visions while resting after act finales, then discussing them with her. Durance has an annoying system where you can discuss a topic or two, then have to rest to talk more. I just did it in an inn for free, then recruited him again after act finales to rest some more to have visions and talk about them. I think you do want to take him to the god place in Two Elms to have a face to face with Magran to finish the quest.

Personally, I'd just respec them to your liking, though. It's easy to change their stats with Cheat Engine and respec their abilities with IE Mod.

You don't need to speculate:

http://steamspy.com/app/291650

I aim really low when trying to work out sales but my lowest guess(take 78k off because maybe all backers got steam keys plus take more off because a bunch of them got extra copies) still leaves like 100k copies' worth of profit. They can probably get a pretty big expansion out of that.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Megazver posted:

So I've set up the first draft of the page for all the game's endings on the official wiki. I formatted it and added pictures of all the endings that I got and transcribed some of them but I kinda need your help.

First of all, my hands are cramping from all the editing at this point and if someone would transcribe the rest of the pictures I posted I would be super grateful.

Second, if you look through see and don't see the one you got, I would be hecka appreciative if you loaded the final savegame, took a screenshot and uploaded it here or there. Personally, I used the free version of FRAPS and converted the .bmp into .jpg with MSPaint. I'm especially looking at the different faction/companion/city endings.

I don't want to click on this because spoilers, but is there any chance someone could post a list of the names of quests which affect the ending slides? I missed the Powder Ganger vault in New Vegas and now I'm paranoid about missing ending-affecting quests. I don't care about how they're resolved, I just want the names.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

One of the bounties is a band of vithraks who are curbstomping me on Easy, what's a good strategy to not get owned by them so badly?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Just best the game, very cool final confrontation. I like how the whole party is incorporated into the big climactic conversations, and the ending slideshow was very satisfying. Well, except for Durance. But he wouldn't be Durance if he wasn't being an rear end in a top hat and pissing me off. I liked how even Thaos hates Durance and makes a crude remark about his genitals.

It's very hard to decide if I want to start over with a new character or leave it for the expansion, chiefly because Steam says I've played for 69 hours :v:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Personal wishlist for an expansion:

- Have more than 1 battle music
- Have more than 5 voice actors (At least it felt like that at times)

There are 5 battle musics :confused:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

babypolis posted:

It seems that besides the stat stacking and double click bug there weren't any other major bugs. People were quick to pounce on the "lol another buggy Obsidian game" meme but its actually a remarkably smooth release for a big and complex RPG

Well my game takes up to a minute to quit to the main menu and loading a save might cause it to crash or might just take an insanely long time. That's probably because I'm hovering around the minimum specs though.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

One thing I wish they'd done with the endings is included pets. "You walked away from Sun In Shadow, the black hound/undead cat/space piglet at your side" is the only thing that would have made my ending even better I think. It's not an unrealistic thing to wish for, because they made a special ending slide about me never getting rid of that baby.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I was kind of surprised that every ending I got felt satisfying and right, with one or two exceptions (drat it Crucible Knights I spoke up in favour of animancy why are you outlawing it??) Whenever I play a game with multiple endings like this the first playthrough is a big mess and the second or third becomes the "real" playthrough where I get the ending I actually want, but in this game the first playthrough ended so satisfyingly as to feel definitive. I mean I will still be playing it again, just not with the usual feeling of "I'll do things right this time".

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

PotD results in some extra monster spam too I think, beyond the added stats (all difficulties together?).

I have to say I agree with the rpgcodex post linked here a while ago - encounter design in PoE is really poor. Part of that is how easy it is to set up fights to your advantage every single time, but even then I'd really like to have seen more ambushes or more interesting mixed encounters. Maybe it gets better later, but certainly early on it's not good.

While it's not "ambushing" per se, I got plenty of unpleasant surprises along the lines of sneak attacking a forest lurker and suddenly a couple of other lurkers and a pwgra come lumbering out of the fog of war to own me.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Oasx posted:

I thought I was helping helping Grieving mother by taking her bad memories away, boy was I wrong.

That character's entire backstory was about how doing something like that is a bad idea

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah more or less.

I didn't get that out of it at all. It was very explicitly Why the gently caress do you people make us this way?

I got a Boy Named Sue vibe from that conversation, maybe I misunderstood but it really seemed Hylea was saying Pallegina is strong and impressive because she was born a Godlike and that was the point.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Regarding the gods: I don't think the gods are Engwithan robots, I think they're the Engwithans themselves. They used the big soul machines to ascend their entire race to godhood, minus a few who stayed behind to teach people about the True Gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh, by the way, anyone doing a second playthrough, be sure to turn on the developer commentary, it's actually pretty neat.

Is developer commentary tracks a common thing these days or is it as unique to this game as it feels like to me?

Valve games do it, and it's in Deus Ex Human Revolution, but it's certainly not common. I'm totally turning it on when I start over.

Edit: Oh, it was in Rogue Squadron 2 on Gamecube back in the day as well.

• Locked thread