Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

that's why you are supposed to fail all of them

that and the fact that they're complete idiots who can't complete the simplest tasks without handholding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp
It's really the foreign med students who cheat on all of thier exams and get special treatment that are underqualified. As long as you have a white male doctor you'll be fine. They didn't need affirmative action to get in to med school so they know their stuff.

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL

Irony.or.Death posted:

that's why you are supposed to fail all of them

that and the fact that they're complete idiots who can't complete the simplest tasks without handholding

One of my friends will just automatically bump high B+s to A-s so that the premeds will stfu and leave her alone.

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp
If your doctor's brown, get ready to frown.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

*hands smell like fixed cadaver juice for days*

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp
If your doctor smells like curry, begin to worry.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

redshirt posted:

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm gonna be a doctor just to covertly fuel my opiate addiction.

Oh yes, and the BMW's.

Pfft. Get a masters in nursing.
Pharmacy keys + no pesky oaths on not using your sweet science for evil.

Also, you can work part time as an RN while you get your degree, so you're not financially hosed going out the gate.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

This whole drat island is covered in nutmeg and commies

Or

I ruined the last season of "Scrubs"

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

*does cocaine*

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

lol my dad is rich as hell, ive never worked a day in my life, and when im finished you retard plebs will all think im a genius paragon of virtue because of what you see on tv

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
My wife is a doctor and one of the nerds in her med. school class said that he was inspired to get his doctorate because he was a big Star Trek fan and he thought it'd be fun to be a ship's doctor in real life. I guess the joke is on everyone else, though, since the military paid for his education while everyone else has to deal with 250k worth of loans :/

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
The SALT PLEASE PASS THE SALT

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

I'm gonna work hard and achieve some goals. Become a surgeon and save some lives. Women are going to be really impressed by my money and morals and I'll settle down with a really nice woman with a 4 year degree she'll use to raise our children as a stay at home mom.

Everyone around me is going to think I'm great because I make a lot of money and provide for my wife and kids.

*Achieves goals, dies loved*

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

President Kucinich posted:

I'm gonna work hard and achieve some goals. Become a surgeon and save some lives. Women are going to be really impressed by my money and morals and I'll settle down with a really nice woman with a 4 year degree she'll use to raise our children as a stay at home mom.

Everyone around me is going to think I'm great because I make a lot of money and provide for my wife and kids.

Then your children die in poverty because everything including surgery is done by machines.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

my parents hang around with a lot of doctors and all of them: do a shitload of drugs, and are profoundly miserable and lovely people

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

babypolis posted:

my parents hang around with a lot of doctors and all of them: do a shitload of drugs, and are profoundly miserable and lovely people

well i spent a year in the hospital and this isnt even remotely the case, get hosed

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
every interaction with a nurse or doctor has been mostly positive with few exceptions; they were empathetic and invested in their jobs and worked their loving asses off dealing swith some crazy rear end poo poo. i may have been lucky, i dunno, but keep making sweeping generalizatons about crap and poop suck my dick

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

babypolis posted:

Pretty much this. Doctors are some of the biggest assholes you will ever meet. Especially surgeons. Also speak to some of them candidly and they will tell you that going to med school was the worst mistake of their life. Some of them are narcissists with a god complex, but I think it's more just that they hate their jobs and their lives.

President Kucinich posted:

Most of them go through multiple divorces and their families end up resenting them because they're never there. And when they are around they're huge dickheads. There are better ways to provide for a family. Medicine is a miserable job with good pay.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 24, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

babypolis posted:

do a shitload of drugs, and are profoundly miserable and lovely people

I've hung around with a lot of successful people and that's true for most of them, not just doctors.

They get this crazy drive and ambition when they're young and then later in life they realize it all sucks (subconsciously at least) and it's not worth the stress and dealing with other lovely people (because money makes you lovely 90% of the time) and they start drinking or doing drugs and yeah they're not very happy.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Enfield posted:

every interaction with a nurse or doctor has been mostly positive with few exceptions; they were empathetic and invested in their jobs and worked their loving asses off dealing swith some crazy rear end poo poo. i may have been lucky, i dunno, but keep making sweeping generalizatons about crap and poop suck my dick

i never said they were bad at their jobs. in fact they are really good thats why they can afford all those drugs

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Pretty much this. Doctors are some of the biggest assholes you will ever meet. Especially surgeons. Also speak to some of them candidly and they will tell you that going to med school was the worst mistake of their life. Some of them are narcissists with a god complex, but I think it's more just that they hate their jobs and their lives.

lol when i was a kid i wanted to be a doctor and my best friend dad, who was a doctor, strait up told me it would be the worst decision of my life

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Most of them go through multiple divorces and their families end up resenting them because they're never there. And when they are around they're huge dickheads. There are better ways to provide for a family. Medicine is a miserable job with good pay.

become a nurse instead, work 36 hrs/week with full benefits and make nearly 6 figures, actually have a social life

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

mucocele posted:

Question. Are you an official doctor once you graduate medical school? How come Scully always called herself a doctor when she never really practiced and went right into the FBI?

kinda. you're just not licensed in any specialty so you really can't practice.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Devil Wears Wings posted:

become a nurse instead, work 36 hrs/week with full benefits and make nearly 6 figures, actually have a social life

lmbo. what kind of nurse makes these kind of wages who isn't a unit manager or a nurse practitioner?

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Any time not spent at the hospital or school is spent sleeping

Boyfriend won't break up with me even though I'm erratic and a terrible girlfriend, either because he's afraid I'll hurt people in my distraught state or because I'll be making bank soon

it's me. i'm this guy.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Moridin920 posted:

I've hung around with a lot of successful people and that's true for most of them, not just doctors.

They get this crazy drive and ambition when they're young and then later in life they realize it all sucks (subconsciously at least) and it's not worth the stress and dealing with other lovely people (because money makes you lovely 90% of the time) and they start drinking or doing drugs and yeah they're not very happy.

Wait so not working excessive overtime and being satisfied with mid tier income actually has the potential to make you happier, long term? I was raised with the idea that if you're not busting you're rear end, you're going to be vindictively destroyed by those who are.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

you must not have gone to a good law school then, like me. (although I do agree about drain on society part)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this sovereign citizen stuff might be closer to the truth than we are willing to admit.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

opus111 posted:

*Learns how to save the lives of children born with genetic deficiencies, sacrifices their youth and health in the search of the knowledge to help cancer-ridden people live more comfortable and rewarding lives, ends up slicing up droopy tits and pumping them full of plastic for the coin*

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
*finds other junkie doctor*

*writes scrips for each other*

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

Devil Wears Wings posted:

more full of poo poo than a neglected bed pan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

5-HT posted:

lmbo. what kind of nurse makes these kind of wages who isn't a unit manager or a nurse practitioner?

l&d nurse in California :colbert:

• Locked thread