Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
No really.

Why wouldn't we try to remove traits like cystic fibrosis, that fatal disease that affects jewish people mostly, downs syndrome, congenital blindness, etc. Is it just stigma from the holocaust or other genocides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
For one, you wouldnt be alive. Wait...

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
gettin some deja vu here

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Methanar posted:

stigma from the holocaust or other genocides

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Who's choosing the undesirables? What's their criteria?

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

Methanar posted:

Is it just stigma from the holocaust
Up in till the holocaust the united states was practicing forced sterilization of poor blacks and the euthanasia of mentally ill people.
Afterwards the programs ended. So yes that's why it stopped. Also the fact it's loving evil helped to.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
stigma from everyone who advocated for it seriously being a whacked out fascist who immediately went 'and then we can get rid of all the non whites!'

but yeah otherwise I don't see the problem with it as a concept; it's just selective breeding but for people. we do it to animals there's nothing inherently evil about that.

really the issue is who decides what gets bred out, because it's easy to start with obvious poo poo like genetic disease but it's also easy to get some aforementioned whacked out fascist trying to make sure poors/blacks/undesirables don't breed

Bowlcutbarricade posted:

Up in till the holocaust the united states was practicing forced sterilization and the euthanasia of mentally ill people.
Afterwards the programs ended. So yes that's why it stopped. Also the fact it's loving evil helped to.

forced sterilization might be evil but idk who says you have the right to have a bunch of kids if you have a 90% chance of giving them a disease? just adopt, there's too many kids needing help as it is.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
do eugenics and the name eugene have a common root? sorry if i'm getting off track here but it seemed like a good place to ask

also nothing is wrong with it and obviously its good to prevent bad stuff

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

we're such monstrous shitheads that we can't even realize full communism why would we entrust anyone with deciding who and what gets culled in a eugenics program

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

burritolingus posted:

>90% chance of being affected by a seriously debilitating condition at birth such as being born paralyzed, blind, serious mental illness, genetic disease, hereditary disease or with any condition known to be fatal. Choosers would be a board of top medical officials from around the world with combined centuries of medical experience.

Alternatively a computer which runs a very stringent set of simulations or something to calculate the odds of a baby being unsuitable. This calculation would be unbiased and decide entirely on statistical data and dna tests or something.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 23, 2015

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

God loves everyone equally OP. Everyone deserves a chance to live.

Unless you're gay

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

burritolingus posted:

This really is the biggest problem but at the same time I don't think it's insurmountable. If you have transplant committees able to ethically decide who gets organs and who dies, I'm sure you could do some sort of non-biased doctor approved thing going.

But yeah it's really easy to be like 'oh well you just need to get a check up and whatever' and then suddenly a bunch of poor people aren't allowed to have kids.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it didn't kill you, that's one problem out of many

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Nobody nowadays is willing to come out in favor of Eugenics because people will think they're like a nazi. And people who supported Eugenics back in the day didn't know poo poo about genetics, so they were just talking about trying to breed out stuff like being poor or being shifty looking or lesbeanism or being Irish. So there's no real good pro-eugenics voices out there.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
what about small things like if you're made fully aware of the overwhelming odds that you will give your offspring some hosed up poo poo based on the genes of both parents, then you're allowed to have a kid but don't expect the state/insurance to cover that poo poo at all. bump up the tax breaks for adopting parents.

boom boom boom posted:

Nobody nowadays is willing to come out in favor of Eugenics because people will think they're like a nazi. And people who supported Eugenics back in the day didn't know poo poo about genetics, so they were just talking about trying to breed out stuff like being poor or being shifty looking or lesbeanism or being Irish. So there's no real good pro-eugenics voices out there.

Yeah. Honestly it's probably a moot point because by the time public opinion is at all receptive of eugenics again, we'll probably have figured out how to modify genes in vitro so as to eliminate genetic disease through that route and making eugenics superfluous anyway.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Moridin920 posted:

This really is the biggest problem but at the same time I don't think it's insurmountable. If you have transplant committees able to ethically decide who gets organs and who dies, I'm sure you could do some sort of non-biased doctor approved thing going.

But yeah it's really easy to be like 'oh well you just need to get a check up and whatever' and then suddenly a bunch of poor people aren't allowed to have kids.

"We're really trying to weed out the blacks sickle cell anemia."

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Eugenics is pointless for the same reason Microsoft doesn't upgrade Windows XP anymore.

Genetic evolution is an outdated paradigm.

"Hmmm, yes. Lets build the perfect ape rather than an artificial intelligence unburdened by the gene trash of a billion years of loving about."

Ork of Fiction fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 23, 2015

naem
May 29, 2011

Finding cures for genetic illnesses and maybe selecting traits for your unborn children with gene something something sounds better than murdering to me

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug
If I am elected Eugenicist Primus, I promise to interbreed all races equally to make hot-as-gently caress ladies (and ladyboys???)

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
We already do eugenics it's called Planned Parenthood.

Wake up, sheeple.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Jews start complaining and get all litigious.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

p sure at this point we're holding out for the meds that fix your genes after conception so we don't have to have this debate

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
it would be cool if they offered free sterilization and testing for people with high genetic risk factors. by choice.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Eugene is a disgusting name for disgusting proles.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

President Kucinich posted:

Eugene is a disgusting name for disgusting proles.
levy and mirman beg to differ

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
We should do like the romans did and kill all the inferior babies.

It would be no worse morally than abortion; if you can't compel a person to support another their her body, why is it right to make her do it with her wallet?

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Is who I was thinking of when I wrote that.

Gross as gently caress, probably lives in Eugene Oregon.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ork of Fiction posted:

"Hmmm, yes. Lets build the perfect ape

this but for real

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Morkyz posted:

We should do like the romans did

Ya lets use lead as a sweetener

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
kill yourself, op

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/20/science/biologists-call-for-halt-to-gene-editing-technique-in-humans.html?smid=tw-share

Scientist seeks ban on gene editing. He's writing this now because gene editing techniques have gotten so good that it'd be almost easy to do now, and he wants a ban so that we don't gently caress up and cause a bunch of problems because our ability to change the genome is so much more advanced than our ability to understand what our changes will cause.

tl;dr Eugenics is actually really easy now and we should totally do it a lot.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
We should do it and make the X-Men.

EDIT: But not Angel or Nightcrawler gently caress those assholes.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Simple genetic stuff like genetic diseases, ya we can selectively breed against. Anything quantitative though, like intelligence, will be based more on pseudoscience than real science just yet. Eugenics is also closely linked with other "race-related sciences" like phrenology, which were important for justifying why rich old white guys should rule the world. Also a lot of their predictions and theories got blown the gently caress up by genetics.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Hypha posted:

Simple genetic stuff like genetic diseases, ya we can selectively breed against. Anything quantitative though, like intelligence, will be based more on pseudoscience than real science just yet. Eugenics is also closely linked with other "race-related sciences" like phrenology, which were important for justifying why rich old white guys should rule the world. Also a lot of their predictions and theories got blown the gently caress up by genetics.

Yeah, there's a lot of leftover baggage with the term 'eugenics.' I'd totally be down with regular eugenics without the weird racist overtones. Like, I'd be fine with a race of super-intelligent black overlords as long as they ran things smoothly.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/20/science/biologists-call-for-halt-to-gene-editing-technique-in-humans.html?smid=tw-share

Scientist seeks ban on gene editing. He's writing this now because gene editing techniques have gotten so good that it'd be almost easy to do now, and he wants a ban so that we don't gently caress up and cause a bunch of problems because our ability to change the genome is so much more advanced than our ability to understand what our changes will cause.

tl;dr Eugenics is actually really easy now and we should totally do it a lot.
if editing genes is anything like hex editing computer files or building legos, im glad

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Bowlcutbarricade posted:

Up in till the holocaust the united states was practicing forced sterilization of poor blacks and the euthanasia of mentally ill people.

actually they continued into the 1970s

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
actually 1980s, go us of a

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

quakster posted:

if editing genes is anything like hex editing computer files or building legos, im glad

code:
int dicksize(char* name){
  switch(name){
  case "st1ll_51ngl3":
  /* return 3.5; */
  return 15;
  break;
  default:
  return 5.5;
  break;
  }
}
Finally!

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Hypha posted:

This. The actual range of things we can quantify and select for / against is tiny and we couldn't expect the sort of dumb people who would be writing the rules to stay inside the lines and not gently caress it up by trying to select against religious beliefs or poverty. Look at the crap that goes on with people trying to slip creationism into science textbooks, then imagine these same shitheads trying to write eugenics laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Ivor Biggun posted:

This. The actual range of things we can quantify and select for / against is tiny and we couldn't expect the sort of dumb people who would be writing the rules to stay inside the lines and not gently caress it up by trying to select against religeous beliefs or poverty. Look at the crap that goes on with people trying to slip creationism into science textbooks, then imagine these same shitheads trying to write eugenics laws.

Eh, I say go for it. If they create a race of deformed retards I'll be like a god for the remainder of my years on earth. If they create a race of brilliant supermen then the global quality of life will probably increase... or they'll kill of all the inferior people. Either way I'm pretty ok with whatever.

• Locked thread