Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Pyrogenesis posted:

I am sad to this very day that ye olde X-wing and TIE fighter games only have screenshot versions. But I guess this list is not expecting do-overs?

Nobody's stopping you from making one if you wanted! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, I think the thread is good for people to talk about what sort of LPs they'd like to read/participate in that they may not be skilled at actually creating, or to avoid interest checks. Like, for example, I love megathreads, especially ones that cover older games. The more old-game megathreads, the happier I am. I even suggested a beat em up megathread in the LP for the weird fan-made hybrid of Fatal Fury and Final Fight, and got some positive response from it.

I also think a megathread for zelda-likes would be fantastic, but I just don't know much about the genre, and while I'm not bad at those type of games, I'm hardly good enough to LP them, but I know enough to know there are a ton of games in that umbrella that get completely overlooked today and could use some revisiting. But again, I'm really not the person to start such a thing. Which is why this thread is here.

(Oh, and by the by, I'm slowly completing a hybrid LP of Gargoyle's Quest for the game boy. The previous one by Captain Duck is forums archive only. If I feel like it, I might do the Japanese-only gb remake of the sequel as well.)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Dragomorph posted:

I'd made a request for somebody to do some of the Chinese bootleg NES games that have come out as a sort of general megathread, but I guess that's probably a bit too broad to show up in something like this.

I'll second this one.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'll be honest and say I second the Omikron: The Nomad Soul request off that list. I've seen a few attempts and they all gave up rather early. It would help if the LPer was a Bowie fan I think.

I wouldn't mind seeing the spy vs spy games either, they aren't difficult. I could probably pull something off myself eventually down the road, but I'd prefer someone that's more of an expert.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I love how it somehow manages to be worse than the Battletoads pilot.

I'm pretty sure they aired back-to-back. Like, it was some weird special thing where they had several saturday morning cartoon pilots air in a marathon one thanksgiving afternoon iirc.

EDIT TO PREVENT DOUBLE POSTING 9 HOURS LATER: I request just occurred to me. I'd like to see someone who knows what they're doing attempt to tackle as many of the Kunio-Kun series of games as they can. Of course, that doesn't mean every individual port of Super Dodge Ball or anything, but an honest attempt to run through the games, both the brawler main series, and all the weird sports spin-offs if they could. River City Ransom and Crash and the Boys are the only ones I'm any good at in the series.

Choco1980 fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 8, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

This is a weird request I'm sure, and probably will fall on deaf ears: [b]Egomaniac{/b] if you're reading this, come back and finish Siren: HD, Please! It's literally the best LP I've ever watched, and you do the game so much justice with your translations and explorations of supplemental material. It's probably the only survival horror game I've been freaked out by just watching instead of playing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Aw crap, this means I have to actually update my Gargoyle's Quest LP soon, doesn't it?

(I was going to soon anyways. We're two or so updates til that game is complete. We'll see if I move on to the Gameboy port of the sequel or not based on what the thread thinks.)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Something I'd like to see someday is someone do a comprehensive look at Kaijuu Busters for the DS. It's a solid monster-hunter style game set in the Ultraman universe, only without Ultraman. You're a member of Science Patrol flying around the Galaxy fighting giant monsters with your own two hands and various craftable weapons. But the whole thing is in Japanese so it's difficult to play without knowing that language.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

Someone should play all of the Harry Potter games.

All of them.

Every single one.

In order.

Or just some of them, I dunno. I like bad movie games, and I played too many of the Harry Potter ones when I was younger.

An LP of the GBC game of Chamber of Secrets recently started. I'm on the phone app and can't be assed to look it up to link.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'd like to request Crusader of Centy (Soleil in Europe) to be done, preferably in video form.

It's a Zelda-like for the Genesis about a boy who is celebrating his 14th birthday by going out to start killing monsters, as law demands. I think the game has a cool story and it also has you throwing elemental boomerang swords at your enemies.

e: oh, it does have the mega-buster problem of charging up your attack making a really annoying sound. keep that in mind

Seconding this. In fact, I'd like to re-request my idea for someone who's better at them than I am to start up a Zelda-like megathread. There's so many good ones out there, and a huge percentage of them are obscure as all get out.

Also seconding the re-request of Half-Minute Hero 2, hopefully by Kaubocks, as his LP of part one is fantastic.

Finally, I'll re-request the co-op War of the Monsters. I'd definitely like to see that.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Niggurath posted:

I'm sure if we wish hard enough, Research Indicates will come back and we'll all hug and enjoy his soothing voice again.

I've been wishing pretty hard for Egomaniac to come back for a few years now and finish his LP of the re-master of Siren. :sigh:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Just an FYI for the Master List, I just posted the final update for my hybrid Gargoyle's Quest LP. I'll let it sit a little bit before closing it and sending it to the archive.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I learned something today

(I should have probably learned some time ago)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I wouldn't be surprised if MGS Ground Zeroes ends up in Danaru's megathread.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Niggurath posted:

I'd still be super interested in Axiom Verge; it always looked like a cool Metroid type game but it was always a bit more expensive than I'd want to pay for it (cause I'm cheap).

It's really really good. Like, close to Super Metroid good. Double impressive that it's a solo creator jam.

I definitely still want the bootleg NES thread.

I'll always hold out hope for Egomaniac to return for Siren: HD, but it's probably not doing any good sitting on the list :sigh:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I got a new request that just occurred to me--I'd like to see someone knowledgeable LP the Chinese NES Bootleg of Final Fantasy 7. There was one going for a little while in Elentor's FF7 thread, but it got abandoned. If this could be an informative LP, all the better.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

AielloA posted:

How hard would it be to LP a game? How much work? I mean, I've been fascinated in the concept ever since I stumbled across - I think it was Orange Fluffy Sheep's FFT screenshot LP? - but I have a sneaking suspicion that if I ever tried to LP a game, it would (a) not interest anyone, and (b) get abandoned before too long when I lose interest in keeping it up.

Don't worry about your page views, people will read whatever you try to post, even if only very few do. I try to keep myself a little fresh by not doing anything that others have really majorly done before, but even that can be fine if you give your readers a reason to stick around. Don't be so self conscious, :justpost:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

You do realize that the GBA versions were only ever released in Japan, right? Also yeah, what Curtiss said, the existing script dumps have annoying formatting issues.

I think the point is that the fans who insist you have to hear the game to truly appreciate it are overstating things a tad.

The subforum has made me realize apparently as a gamer I'm the weirdo in that I place game music as a distant last place when deciding what makes one great. Unless there is some sort of vital sound mechanic to the function of play (audio cues, spoken dialogue, etc) I usually play with the sound down all the way. I played through the PW trilogy with the sound off most of the time, and didn't feel I lost hardly anything. It's decent music, and the :objection: are fun I'll grant you that, but hardly mandatory past some Tindeck links. I do think however, there's lots of places where still pictures wouldn't do the game justice (heh), mostly character affectations, especially elaborate non-static ones like when Wendy Oldbag starts raging. Of course, gifs are certainly a solution there.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I don't think anyone was arguing the investigation half of the game wasn't important. They were saying however that treating things like the music or the heavily repeated physical gestures after having seen them once like make-or-break mandatory elements to understanding the game as necessary when they aren't is the problem here. Tindeck links to the soundtrack and the occasional gif of things not easily translated to still shots are really all that would be needed in addition over a SSLP of the game to "get" it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

keep Kaiju Busters on there please. Informative if possible.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Dragomorph posted:

Failing that, Magic of Scheherazade, but ha ha ha who LPs NES games here. :negative:

Seconding this one. One of many, many zelda-likes from the 8-bit era that just get ignored, though this one is weird because it also has dragon quest style random encounters (AS WELL AS the zelda style fights) time travel shenanigans, recruitable party members, and more dick moves than you can shake a stick at.

Also it's set in Ancient Persia, with a really cool soundtrack.

At the end of the day though, I'm still just sitting on my idea of someone who's far better at them than I making a Zelda-like mega-thread.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Mega64 posted:

This but have all the commentary be voice clips of Ash Ketchum.

Try using an Ash soundboard to control the whole game. That would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I definitely want to see someone good at it LP War of the Monsters Still.

• Locked thread