Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Oh goodness, is my avatar showing up? I'm very new at this. Sorry, hello, I am Davidspackage's mother and, well, it's just awful what's happened. I hardly know where to start.

Davidspackage is gone. I have just found his body. Clutched in his rigid hand was a note with his last wishes, amidst some deranged scribbles. I am very sorry my son is gone, but to honor his wish I am now posting his last ever Let's Play. Golly, I haven't even called 911 yet. Well, here goes:

file:///C:/My Documents/gifs/spinning%20skull.gif></div>

Did I do that right? Davidspackage left me with detailed instructions and login information for all his websites so I can complete this Let's Play for him, and inform all his little friends on sites such as this one, Fark, “neopets” and... fet... life? Is that something? His handwriting can be difficult to read.

From what I understand this is a “blind” Let's Play, but he kept a Solution on hand to avoid getting stuck. Luckily, I am quite handy with the Windows Movie Maker and am clipping the videos into episodes. I will try to maintain a regular update schedule, depending on how difficult life will be now that I've lost my only son.

I hope all of you will be supportive and exercise proper “netiquette” in this board. If not, I'd like to remind you that I have the personal e-mail address of the webmaster and I will e-mail him if you misbehave and have you blocked. The most important rule, well, I'll let davidspackage's note speak for itself:

Thank you in advance!!

Now, I understand that you may be worried that this will not be worth your time. To alleviate those worries, I made a "trailer":

You can find some information about the game on http:// [url]www.Mobygames[/url]

And now the first video!

Well. I don't know anything about video games other than that I curse the path to ruination they have set my son upon, so I suggest you just watch the video. Please use this board to commemorate davidspackage, or to exchange cake and/or flan recipes. I can also be found on Everest Poker as SexyRoller1947.

Sincerely yours in Christ,

Dottie Spackage

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
This post is "reserved." Please do not post in this post!

Thanks to for all the "cool" gifs!

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 13, 2015

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
yes. alright.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Don't users get permabanned if they are found to be dead irl? Best get that Necronomicon up.

VV I personally like the IE image error icon as a Firefox user. Legit pro choice.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 23, 2015

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

So David Spackage had some sort of forehead cam there?

Choice fire graphics in the game there.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Oh god no!

Mostly about this game but I am also sorry about your sons death.

Val
Jul 11, 2003

Sorry for your loss. Do go on.

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?

SSNeoman posted:

Don't users get permabanned if they are found to be dead irl? Best get that Necronomicon up.

You called?

Super excited for this, You are legitimately the only Lper I can stand to watch.

Tubofun
Jul 8, 2009

Think we are going to need another type of black magic for this one, buddy.

Still though, this looks a competent blind run of a very incompetent game. Should be quite enjoyable!

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
My condolences, Ms. Spackage :-(

I will be sure to follow this memorial thread avidly, because your son (while led astray by these terrible 'games') was very insightful and it's the second-to-least I could do to honor his memory.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dear lord. Not even two minutes in and I'm holding back the chuckles. And vomit. But mostly chuckles.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

This is indeed a post. And it contains a LP.
I am just not sure what to make of it to be honest.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
It looks like "Sense" is meant to use senses other than sight to inspect an object. That usually seems to be smell, but he's listened to at least one thing and will probably taste something eventually. One presumes that it must be an important mechanic since it's there, but Space Quest IV featured Smell and Taste icons that had no practical purpose except for a bit of humor here and there.

Also, it looked like the Q on the Ouija board interface lit up when the cursor passed over it. Might not mean anything.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

One day I hope to be a loan warrior.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
This is also blind for me, but the game has a certain reputation about it that precedes itself despite me knowing no details.

I'm also looking forward to Momchat.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

oh no

oh

NO

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

I am dreadfully sorry for your loss, but I know this is what your son would have wanted. Apart from the whole dying thing. And playing Limbo of the Lost. Anyway, you have all of my sympathy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Man, Davidspackage had no idea what he was in for. It's...something else.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Waffleman_ posted:

Man, Davidspackage had no idea what he was in for. It's...something else.

I believe the three games stolen from the most are Oblivion, Painkiller, and Thief 3. Also, the "Join us, join us now!" line that plays on the action menu is straight from the Hammer Haunts in Thiefs 1 and 2.

Keep an eye on the corners of the screen, by the way. Sometimes you can see repeating textures where the interface on the screenshot was photoshopped out.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Even the original game was apparently ripped off from an older adventure game. The roots run deep.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I believe the three games stolen from the most are Oblivion, Painkiller, and Thief 3. Also, the "Join us, join us now!" line that plays on the action menu is straight from the Hammer Haunts in Thiefs 1 and 2.

Morrowind as well. Also Unreal Tournament, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and Enclave (an obscure Xbox adventure game from 2002).

There's actually a wiki that lists where all the assets were stolen from with side by side comparisons - major spoilers, of course, so if you want to experience the LP raw, steer clear.

One non-spoiler page is this one on the Amiga version of the game - this game was in development for over ten years, and the first coverage of it was in the 1995 issue of Amiga Computing.

Kloro fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 24, 2015

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
The game may be Lovecraftian in that the more you know about it the closer to insanity you're driven.

I'm still pretty surprised the guys behind this said "Yes, this is what we want, send it out".

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

One of my favourite things to do with these kinds of games is guessing what impoverished European nation with an abundance of starving programmers who barely speak English made and wrote this game. Turns out, they're from the United Kingdom.

RIP Davidspackage, your death has clearly not been in vain.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Tin Hat posted:

One of my favourite things to do with these kinds of games is guessing what impoverished European nation with an abundance of starving programmers who barely speak English made and wrote this game. Turns out, they're from the United Kingdom.

RIP Davidspackage, your death has clearly not been in vain.

So your guess was correct. :golfclap:

Davidspackage will be missed, but his mom seems really good at this internet stuff. She'll be a worthy replacement David.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I have bookmarked this thread in honor of your late son, Ms. Spackage, even though I fear this will be a sore trial for us all. I'm sure David would have wanted it that way.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Finally loving getting around to watching Stonekeep in his honor. RIP in peace also is there a Mr. Spackage or are you on the market?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oh my god the writing is somehow worse than the poo poo you would find in an intro to creative writing course.

FULL SAIL

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The thing you'll come to find about Limbo of the Lost is that it carries itself as if it's trying to be a comedy, but it is the most aggressively unfunny thing I have ever seen in my life.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
My goondolences madam. If you wish to learn more about how I might assuage your terrible grief, send me a PM.

Don't forget the Spawn movie and Diablo 2. There's chunks of those too. The theft of this game is actually pretty loving amazing.

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax
Removed: No spoilers at all, please! Linked or otherwise! -Geop

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 26, 2015

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I dunno how the developer was so close to self-awareness (the drat player character falls asleep during a long meandering speech, and there's a bored skeleton) and didn't just..Cut this terrible poo poo at all. The compass and pop up menu is just so frustrating to even look at. How did anyone think any of this was a good idea?

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

GentlemanBrofro posted:

[url="https:// NO"]This video is a good example of your average person's first reaction to this atrocity.[/url] There are minor spoilers near the end of the video but that is all, so avoid that if you really want. Excited to see the game in its full, uncompromisingly bad, glory.

I think showing anything ahead of time does this game a disservice. In a game so incomprehensible as this, pulling the curtain back on the smallest detail is a major spoiler. Please let things occur naturally.
e: holy poo poo no it ends on a MAJOR spoiler are you loving joking, 'minor spoilers' does not dictate the TWIST ENDING. I want to be polite but take that link down dingus.

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 26, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, there's spoilers like a minute into that video.

Also, this entire LP is a first reaction, so...

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
It's not like he can react anymore. He's dead!

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Pvt.Scott posted:

It's not like he can react anymore. He's dead!

Honor the dead by sparing the living from spoilers.
e: haha nice, thanks geop

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 26, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The annoying golem's name is Iraq. I wonder if this is some sort of metaphor.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
God, those dialog portraits.

dreezy fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 26, 2015

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Thank you all for your sympathies. God bless.

Well, things have calmed down a bit around here, the service was lovely. The coroner did a marvelous job at pushing all the parts of Davidspackage's face back into, well, I won't bore you with the details.

I had this digital memorial of Davidspackage commissioned for only $335.99 and it now decorates my computer background screen. My special thanks to Theresa of Heavenly-Images.org for the exclusive deal. I'll recommend you to all my friends!

I will have a new video up later today, I just wanted to respond to your kind comments.

Ha,ha! Well Steak Eater, I have been a widow since 1999 when Davidspackage's father slipped at a construction site and was speared through the rectum by a piece of rebar. So I'm keeping my options open!

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 30, 2015

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
"Limbo of the Lost? Game sounds familiar, guess I'll watch the first video and oh loving yes it's this one."

You're in for a trip, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Fifteen-odd years on this game and none of them thought to get a proofreader?

• Locked thread