Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Leave it at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

sexism

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Sexism

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

We'll just assume that the sexism is ironic.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Let's leave it and get on with things.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Porkchop Weebottoms has no respect for the Skull, it's not like his royal tooter was that important to him!

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
A close vote, but our hero eventually yields to his baser nature.

quote:

...the woman your father adored, loved, and married, but also all women in general.

Thanks for weighing in, Ophelia! We've got only one option here, so we're going to plow right on ahead. Whenever you pick a Yorick skull option, you'll run into another one on the very next decision screen.

quote:

"Listen, Horatio, never speak of this whole 'we totally saw a ghost' thing, okay? We've got to keep it a secret."

"That's cool," says Horatio.

"No, I'm serious, man!" you say, grabbing his shoulders. "Some REALLY SERIOUS STUFF is going to go down, and I need you to keep this a secret. Swear that you'll never talk about this."

"I swear," says Horatio.

"SWEAR IT," booms your dad's voice out of nowhere.

"He already did!" you shout. Horatio looks at you, questioning. "Hamlet. Bro. What's this all about?" he says.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio--" you begin.

"--than are dreamt of in my philosophy," Horatio finishes, annoyed. "Fine. Right. Whatever."

Okay! Horatio will keep your secret, and you've got a quest from a ghost to fulfill! And at the end, he'll probably give you some cool loot for completing it! Maybe? I mean, it's possible.

Anyway, it's past midnight, and Claudius is probably falling-down drunk.

Every hero has a fatal flaw, and scholars will tell you that Hamlet's fatal flaw is inaction. But this being a CYOA, we decide how much action our protagonist takes or doesn't take at any given moment. Should we get started with the murdering, or should we follow in Hamlet Sr.'s footsteps?

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 5, 2015

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Remember, kids, insulting one member of a group is the same as insulting every member of that group! :v: Clearly these folks are masters of both literary criticism and social niceties.

Since it's not clear here, Ghost Dad is accusing Gertrude of being adulterous with his brother Claudius before his death and helping plan (or at least cover up) his murder. Even so, he tells Weebottom to leave her alone and only punish Claudius. "Pernicious" would be entirely correct in context. The next line is "O villain, villain, smiling, damned villain!" which is equally accurate, assuming the allegations are true. So, if you insult a woman when you believe she's committed evil acts, you're sexist against all women, according to this story.

Get our Weebottom in gear and shank the king!

Added Space fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 23, 2015

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Remember, kids, women can be anything! Even scientists like this one holding test tubes! But not evil. That would be sexist.

I eagerly await the next volume, "A Tale Told By an Idiot", in which we learn that Lady Macbeth is the hero.

Time to kill

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Kill

Cowboy Otis
Feb 23, 2015
Kill dat king!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It might just be the overpowering aura of :smug:, but I can't say I've seen anything to be impressed with so far. Especially not in light of The YAWGH, which seems to have pursued a similar aesthetic, but managed to be both charming and not insufferable.

And let's kill now, we're bound to break free of the railroading if we try hard enough, right?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Definitely get on with the killing. Also I liked the ghostsplosion ending so as long as endings like those are sprinkled in enough it's not completely irredeemable (just mostly).

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Added Space posted:

Remember, kids, insulting one member of a group is the same as insulting every member of that group! :v: Clearly these folks are masters of both literary criticism and social niceties.

Since it's not clear here, Ghost Dad is accusing Gertrude of being adulterous with his brother Claudius before his death and helping plan (or at least cover up) his murder. Even so, he tells Weebottom to leave her alone and only punish Claudius. "Pernicious" would be entirely correct in context. The next line is "O villain, villain, smiling, damned villain!" which is equally accurate, assuming the allegations are true. So, if you insult a woman when you believe she's committed evil acts, you're sexist against all women, according to this story.

Get our Weebottom in gear and shank the king!

Huh. I had never read that bit as the ghost accusing Gertrude of a co-conspirator. Shows what I know. Let's see what Ryan North knows about assassinating kings in their own palaces!

quote:

There's a bottle of booze in his hand! He really is a cartoon drunk! This is gonna be real easy!

You hold your hand over his mouth so he can't scream and slit his throat and he's dead within the minute.

Ta-da! You leave quietly, making sure not to be seen, and head down to the shore to wash your blood-soaked hands and your blood-soaked clothes. The ocean water cleans off the blood quickly, which is great because you heard it was hard to get out damned blood spots.

Turns out, nope, it's actually really easy! You're glad you stayed cool and rational and didn't freak out at all during this process. Good job, champ!

You walk home in your wet clothes, change into adorable pyjamas, get into bed, and fall asleep. Content in the knowledge that you were right to murder a dude and that you even had supernatural forces on your side, your dreams are generally peaceful. (There's some sex stuff in there too but whatever man, it happens. Don't even worry about it. It's honestly not a big deal.)

In the morning you act super surprised that Claudius got killed to death ("Whaaaaat?" you say, waving your hands in the air) (Come to think of it that was probably a little much but everyone bought it so PHEW) and then later you become king!

And check it: Your economic policies are both wise and fair, and your country becomes way prosperous! Due to economics not being a zero-sum game, you not only make the lives of your subjects better, but you actually improve the lives of those they trade with too.

Hamlet, you've literally [sic] make the world a better place. NICE.

And all you had to do was kill a human being!

THE END

P.S. Oh, I meant to mention it sooner, but one day you step on a butterfly that has the cascade effect of preventing not one but TWO worldwide wars from occurring, centuries down the line! So, good job all around, I'd say! Keep on killing everyone who interferes with your preferred version of history, I'd say!

Congratulations, you were really terrific at being Hamlet.

THE END

FOR REAL THIS TIME

What a nice summary of all the acts that our hero performed as the result of a single decision! Porkchop Weebottoms is now King of Denmark and everything works out wonderfully for him for the rest of his life. Congratulations! It looks like choosing to be a man of action worked out pretty well for him. Before we get back to him, we'll see how Yorick's been doing and whether it's time to maybe try giving Kid Hamlet a different nickname!

Last time on Poor Yorick, Kid Hamlet was given the name Porkchop Weebottoms, which was popular with everybody except him and resulted in Yorick's head getting lopped off. Should we try giving him a different nickname, or should we try avoiding getting into a situation where we have to choose a nickname for an emotionally unstable child-prince in the first place?

• Option 1: Nickname Kid Hamlet "The Hammer" instead of Porkchop Weebottoms
  • Option 2: Nickname Kid Hamlet "Li'l Hamster" instead of Porkchop Weebottoms
  • Option 3: Refuse to be ridden on by Kid Hamlet
  • Option 4: Beg the king not to leave you alone with Kid Hamlet instead of talking to Kid Hamlet
  • Option 5: Something else?

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 5, 2015

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Let's see how the timeline where little Porkchop likes the hammer works out.

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
Yeah, see... This is where I'm honestly starting to think they're just being lazy. Is there any good reason we couldn't have done some of that, maybe get caught if we didn't do it right? Heck, or we couldn't have chosen to have Shakespeare in our Shakespeare, gone all Lady Macbeth about it? This does not look promising for route changing leading to fewer immediate dead-ends.

But let's see how he likes being The Hammer.

D3m3 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 24, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
The Hammer

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Yorick thinks long and hard about what nickname to give Kid Hamlet. Kid Hamlet is a very stern little prince, barking out orders at Yorick and threatening him with death all the time. Why, there was even that one time Kid Hamlet ordered Yorick to make nothing but fart sounds for the rest of his life. It's all coming into some sort of pattern.

Yorick makes his decision.

quote:

>>Go back<<
“I love it!” he says. “Hammers are tough, like me, but also decisive, like me!”

“Phew,” you say.

“Yay! Phew!!” he repeats, running around the room. “The Hammer! The Hammer!”

He punches you in the head.

“The Hammer!!” he says.

“Ow,” you say.

Anyway, you get Hamlet to calm down: you sing and dance and tell stories and make fun of your own smile and before you know it you even start to...like your job? Yes. You like your job. You like that each morning you have the laughter of a child to look forward to as a reward for a job well done.

Also, they pay you!

A few weeks go by. You pour a flagon of Rhenish wine on a young gravedigger’s head. Hamlet loves it. Those weeks turn into months, and before you know it, years. Everything is great, and Kid Hamlet changes before your eyes into Young Adult Hamlet, and then Teen Hamlet. You scale up your stories to match. And then you die of a heart attack.

THE END

Congratulations! Yorick has been accepted as Prince Hamlet's court jester, and spends the rest of the life entertaining Prince Hamlet with things other than constant flatulence! Yorick then dies in ignominious fashion! Congratulations, Yorick! You've won!

We've completed Poor Yorick! As had been mentioned before, it's a pretty short gamebook and gets itself over with quite quickly. Now that it's done, we can get right back to To Be or Not To Be and see if we can make that story last a bit longer than Poor Yorick di--

quote:

>>Accept that this is the end<<
>>Refuse to accept that this is the end<<

Hold that thought...

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 26, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
It's a good life, accept it

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Huh. I had never read that bit as the ghost accusing Gertrude of a co-conspirator. Shows what I know. Let's see what Ryan North knows about assassinating kings in their own palaces!

Well, to be fair, like most things in Hamlet it's implied instead of stated. However, based on Hamlet's reaction it's what he derives from Ghost Dad's raving. The only other thing Ghost Dad mentions about his wife is that he's unhappy she married Claudius - and lil' Hammer already knew that.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

You get the sense that the Ghost still bears a great deal of love for his wife. He tells Hamlet to leave her out of it. Now that he's dead, he's discovered her infidelity but can't quite accept it. My reading is that Hamlet is under no such illusions, and probably suspected something was up earlier. But he also kind of jumps to that conclusion fairly quickly.

(Of course it could also be that he tells Hamlet to leave her out of it simply because she's his mother, and he doesn't want to put that task on him. He never really cared for his brother.)

As for Yorick, let's see if we can get the Marine Biologist ending.
It's not over until we decide it is.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

It's not over till the Fat Lady Sings and I have yet to see a single Fat Lady in this gamebook

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Let's see where refusing to end quite so fast takes us.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Yorick's thought long and hard about this and he's just not going to accept that this could be the end of his story. He's going to summon up every ounce of his willpower in order to keep the story going.

quote:

>>Go back<<
What? Not allowed. This IS the end, you just died of a heart att—

—wait, it says here you...got better? It says you stood up and said “My heart fixed itself guys, neat” and then...went about your business?

FOR 25 YEARS??

So now it’s 25 years in the future and you’re standing beside your friend Hamlet and your mutual friend Horatio. You’re in the middle of one of your madcap adventures you guys always get into together, which has led you to a graveyard. A gravedigger is digging into a shallow grave. Well good luck, Yorick, because I know he’s about to dig up your skull and then you’re gonna be in trouble. Here it comes! Right now!!

...The gravedigger continues digging without incident.

Hamlet seems like he’s about to say something, and gets as far as “Alas, poor...Yor— I, um. Wh—” and then there’s this terrible light bursting out of his chest, tearing him apart. What happens next happens over the course of just a few microseconds, but I’ll slow it down so you know what happens:

The light bursts out of Hamlet, blinding everyone who sees it, including you. It grows, splitting apart the very fabric of reality as it goes, tearing down through the graveyard and up into the sky. The earth itself blasts apart in two colossal fragments – and you’d think that would be the end of it, but no: your li’l tear in spacetime continues to expand, laterally now, until a few nanoseconds later it contains the entire planet. Or it would, if the planet still existed, which it doesn’t. Erased from existence, bucko. You destroyed all our tomorrows with your paradox, and 2 million years later our quadrant of the universe is avoided by every single spacefaring race because it’s RUINED.

I told you earlier the universe required you to die! You were supposed to be buried here so Hamlet would have the chance [sic] reflect upon your skull, but yeah, tearing the universe a new one so you could steal an extra few years was so totally worth it.

Jerk!!

THE END FOR REAL, THANKS FOR NOTHING

Oops. Yorick, you are such a disappointment. Away with you! Let's check back into To Be or Not To Be and hope that it still exists. Admittedly, though, I would have been interested to read about some of the adventures that Hamlet and Yorick had together.

Where we left off, Hamlet chose to be a man of action and made the decision to murder Claudius, which led to him doing 30 things in rapid succession, which Rebecca Clements politely chronicled for us in the form of a single illustration. But can the story be made to last a little bit longer and end on a less underwhelming note?

• Option 1: Hamlet follows the Yorick skull path and goes back to bed instead of immediately hunting down Claudius, murdering him, and getting away with it without any incident or player intervention.
  • Option 2: We try to continue being the Ghost King.
  • Option 3: We start at the beginning of Hamlet's story instead of right in the middle of it.
  • Option 4: We start all over and play as Ophelia instead.
  • Option 5: Something else?

Also, now that we've made it to the end state of Poor Yorick, there's less for us to do over there in future runs. Additionally, there are some concerns about To Be or Not To Be and how it's written, namely Ryan North's expectation that we'd read it with our fingers jammed up into all the pages so we can go back whenever we want to. This is likely why he inserted so many "gotcha" surprise endings. To account for this, I'm going to try something new:

Hamlet has been given two extra lives. This means that the first two times we hit an ending, we'll automatically be pulled back to the decision screen where we made the choice that led us to an ending, and immediately try a different option chosen at random. This may be adjusted later, particularly due to some of the weirder "minigame" sequences in the book, where a bad decision early on wrecks you a long ways down the line.

Also, to help with tracking our progress through To Be or Not To Be, Hamlet has been given a map! The resolution is pretty massive, so brace yourself if you bring it up to full-res.

Kickstarter backers above a certain tier got an 18x24 poster that illustrates, in flowchart form, all of the decisions in To Be or Not To Be. The app and game both include it in the image galleries, though it's just barely too low-res to be readable. I'm using a scan of the poster that I cleaned up a bit, and blanked out everything we haven't yet seen. I'll update this periodically to reveal more and more of the structure as we uncover new stuff.

The fully-revealed image has a lot of void spaces, as well as arrows running all over the place and crossing over each other, so trying to determine whether some decision leads to an ending based on the shape of the poster can be misleading. The blue bits you see crossing over one of the lines are one such example, as well as the arrow stretching all the way from the top to the start of King Hamlet's story.

Yep. We have a long way to go.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 26, 2015

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Be Ophelia.

Thanks for all the good work you're putting into this LP!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Option 3, let's start Weebottoms off the right way.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Start Hamlet from the top.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
This time, we're going right back to the character select screen and picking Hamlet. This wins us a new achievement right away!

quote:

Things have been rough lately. You had been trying to focus on your studies at Wittenberg University where you and your bros Horatio, Rosencrantz, and Guildenstern all hang out, but you were called home because your father died.

Then your dead dad’s brother (Claudius!) married your mom (Gertrude!) two weeks later. Yep.

It’s made you kind of upset. You raced home to comfort her but she’s married your uncle and that is weird. You feel weird.

Right now you’re in the audience chamber of your father’s castle, here in sunny Denmark. King Claudius is here, addressing his court. Laertes and Polonius are here too; Laertes is kind of a jerk and Polonius is his father.

Polonius is also the father of Ophelia, whom you’re totally sweet on. She’s not here though. Who knows what adventures she’s having as we speak, while you’re stuck in this drafty castle room listening to other people talk about their feelings??

Speaking of speaking, just now Laertes says something about how now that Claudius is king and he’s attended the coronation, is it okay for him to go back to France? Claudius says, “Sure.”

Wait a minute. You’d love to leave too and go back to school, away from this weird incesty thing your mother’s gotten herself into! It’s so gross and weird!

Meet Hamlet, everyone! While Ghost Dad's afterlife adventures were mostly about wandering around and committing various acts of spectral terrorism and no one being able to do anything about it, Hamlet's all meat, bones, and mortal coil. He also whines a lot, unlike his dad, and it looks like he wants to go back to his dorm room in Wittenberg and sulk. Or is he too depressed to even make any moves in that direction?

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 5, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Let's get out of here.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Porkchop Weebottoms wants to go back to School.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Schools are better than castles anyway.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

In the words of Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School, "Do not go gentle into that good night".

Cowboy Otis
Feb 23, 2015
Let's just wait around and see how this plays out.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

School is for losers

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Hamlet decides to get the hell outta dodge. Yorick's bleached skull agrees.

quote:

On one hand, that's entirely appropriate, especially since he just married your mom like two weeks ago. But on the other hand, he HAS brought "creepy uncle" to new heights.

Porkchop Weebottoms immediately forgets he wants to get the hell outta dodge and throws a shitfit. He can either be passive-aggressive about it and probably post an E/N thread titled "My weird uncle usurped me and he's loving my 60 year old mother right now" later, or he can be a crybaby. This is why we keep calling him Porkchop Weebottoms.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 5, 2015

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Only true goon fashion. "You're not my real dad!"

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Porkchop Weebottoms Don't Listen to someone not his real dad.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

My father is dead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

Can't get more goony than this.

• Locked thread