Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Baby's first let's play: Any feedback at all is appreciated. My commentary is pretty "eh", mostly because I have an obnoxious reliance on starting sentences with "so..." The things you notice in post.

Adventures in street fights and money lending: Let's Play Yakuza 4

What is this game?
If you look at the introduction to IGN's guide of Yakuza 4, you'll find this:

quote:

Yakuza 4 is a heavily plot-driven game about four men, the woman that connects them, a twenty-five-year-old murder mystery that nobody thinks is a mystery, a hundred billion yen in cash, and a city where fifty percent of the population are muggers and one hundred percent of them are about to have their teeth kicked in.
Yakuza 4 is, obviously, the fourth installment of the Yakuza series that started 10 years ago on the PS2. Up until this point, all of the previous games centered around an ex-yakuza hot shot named Kazuma Kiryu and his own mishaps and adventures through Japan's criminal underworld. In this game, Kiryu has to share the spotlight with three entirely new protaginists. There's drama, intrigue, romance, bromance, Weird Japanese Humor, mini-games and a whole lot of fist fights in between.

This game was released in Japan in March 2010 and later came to the west almost exactly one year later. While the series has been immensly popular back in its homeland, it's barely been scraping by in all markets out west. For a while it seemed that the fourth game would be the last "real" installment of the series we'd ever see. Sega had seemingly given up on localizing the fifth game until Sony offered to pay the bill.

Yakuza 5 is expected to have its western release sometime later in 2015, three years after coming out in Japan. You can consider this LP my own meager attempt to give this series some much-needed exposure. These are great games, and if I can sell just one person on them, then I can walk away happy.

Will I need to play the previous games to understand the story?
Not at all. Like I said, three of the four main charcaters here are completely fresh faces; the story is (mostly) independent to the events of Yakuza 1-3. Any references to previous games are pretty easy to read for newcomers. What's more, each new game comes with narrated recaps of each game that preceded it. Yakuza 4 is probably the most accesible sequel for anyone coming in blind.

If you want more, Jamesman did an LP of the first game. You can find that Here

Geop also started an LP of Yakuza 2, but he was forced to axe it after about 10 updates.

What about the LP?
I'll be playing through the game and commentating on it with my friend Lauren, who's coming in completely blind.

A lot of the appeal to these games is the story. You won't be hearing us babble over cutscenes; you'll only hear that when we're exploring, fighting and doing side missions.

I'd like to hit 100%, but that's a super daunting task that includes learning the formal rules to games like shogi and mahjong. I'll do my best but I also make no promises.

I feel like a fool for never knowing about these games. How can I play?
Don't be too hard on yourself. It's still easy enough to find retail copies of 3 and 4 on Amazon. A digital version of 4 was released a few months ago at the Playstation Store. You can also find a version of the original game in the same place; it's under PS2 classics. There's also a zombie spin off called Dead Souls that's easy to get anywhere, though your mileage may vary.

Yakuza 1 Recap
Yakuza 2 Recap
Yakuza 3 Recap

Part 1: The worst loan shark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
I appreciate all the tips on my first video. Audio was the one thing that worried me about making these things and I'll try to keep it all to heart. The second video was mostly done when I posted the first, so I took Geop's advice first and made the auto-ducking more gradual and long-lasting.

I just posted the thread. I'm hoping to keep an update schedule of Tuesdays and Saturdays, circumstances permitting.

• Locked thread